Which Royals Smoke?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hopefully he doesn't smoke that much if he smokes.

Duke-of-Earl said:
I got the information from soldiers he smokes 3 packs a day and can not corroborate the he does indeed smoke that much.

He appears quite fit and healthy for someone to be maintaining that kind of habit, but like you said, the story can't be corroborated. unless we were to hear it from him, it's all speculation as to how much he actually smokes.

I smoked for 5 decades and when you're 27, it doesn't seem to hinder good health. It does catch up with some people, and not others.

As an experienced, former smoker, it takes about 10-15 minutes to smoke an entire cigarette (depending on how deeply one inhales). There are 20 cigs to a pack, so that's 60 cigarettes. He can't smoke while on duty, so, my guess is he may light 3 packs a day, but not actually smoke them...they just burn down. I hope that's the case, anyway.

I got the information from soldiers he smokes 3 packs a day and can not corroborate the he does indeed smoke that much.

If that is really true, then he better marry someone soon and fulfil his "royal duty"..Lest he may be rendered unfit for that in one or two decades..
At 27 one hardly shows any symptoms but the body inside will be fighting like hell against the abuse and one fine day it will slowly give up..

The side effects of smoking generally don't show up after a week, a month or even several years of smoking. It's a very gradually thing. However, for some people the effects can show up sooner rather than later. Other people it shows up much later. You just don't know as each person is different. Genetics and family history play somewhat of a role in this.

In my parents generation smoking was the norm. After they started seeing some of their older peers suffer ill effects from smoking (some as early as their late 30's), they stopped smoking. I know it had quite an impact on a lot of people.

The ones who quit smoking before they became ill generally fare better than those who quit because they have to or because it's a threat to their life.

I remember as a child a man who had a heart attack while at the grocery store and died right there at the age of 38. This man smoked heavily and a lot of the adults talked about this. It was very sad because he had young children. He probably never thought that smoking could do this to him because he was young.

A man that my mother knew died at the age of 52 of decades of smoking heavily. Had a very aggressive lung cancer. At one time this man was very attractive but if you went to see him in the hospital, you wouldn't recognize him. Very sad.

Since he had children in his early 20's, he saw them grow up but his grandchildren who were very young when he died didn't get the opportunity to know him as a grandfather which was very sad.

I wish that the royals who smoke especially those who are heavy smokers would think about this (what they are doing is a health risk to them and smoking doesn't discriminate when its health effects are felt).

Knowing what we know, today, smoking is an ignorant act.

I wonder if the topic should be which royals smoke, binge drink, take drugs, eat too much or generally have addictive personalities?!

Agree Countess

The American Cancer Society linked smoking & cancer in 1963. IMO anyone that started smoking or continued to smoke after 1963 is foolish.
(I know, Camilla picked it up in 1962, but I'll give her a leeway as she is British and may not have gotten the American message...)

It was recently proven that even people who smoked but stopped decades ago still have a higher risk of developing lung cancer than people who never smoked.

Last edited:
I just read this morning that In the recently published'Not in front of the corgis' by Brian Hoey, that Camilla is still a heavy smoker spending in excess of £100 pounds a WEEK on cigarettes. They are then placed in silver cases/boxes in every room of each of their homes, with wooden match boxes in silver boxes. I can't remember the last time I saw wooden cigarette matches.
Well, we can say goodbye to that particular rumour now.
According the the FAQ section of the new Prince of Wales website, "The Duchess of Cornwall gave up smoking many years ago."

Well, we can say goodbye to that particular rumour now.
According the the FAQ section of the new Prince of Wales website, "The Duchess of Cornwall gave up smoking many years ago."
Let's hope it's true, as smoking is a risk factor when it comes to osteoporosis and the duchess' mother had it and there is a genetic factor when it comes to the disease.

Meraude said:
Let's hope it's true, as smoking is a risk factor when it comes to osteoporosis and the duchess' mother had it and there is a genetic factor when it comes to the disease.

Unfortunately, even if she has actually quit, at this late date, it's a bit closing the barn door after the horse has escaped. If you smoke multiple packs a day for 40+ years, both you and those who have lived around you (2nd hand smoke), are at much higher risk for cancer, heart disease, COPD, etc. many of the Windsor men have died very young, often due to diseases which are activated by smoking. We'll see what happens . C has been basically living with Camilla for 3 decades.

scooter said:
Unfortunately, even if she has actually quit, at this late date, it's a bit closing the barn door after the horse has escaped. If you smoke multiple packs a day for 40+ years, both you and those who have lived around you (2nd hand smoke), are at much higher risk for cancer, heart disease, COPD, etc. many of the Windsor men have died very young, often due to diseases which are activated by smoking. We'll see what happens . C has been basically living with Camilla for 3 decades.

Both my dad's parents started smoking when they were about 10. His mother died from lung cancer; his father didn't (he died from pneumonia brought on by jaundice). My mom's dad was the same; he also died from lung cancer. One of her brothers also died from lung cancer and another from stomach cancer. The older of the two surviving brothers is 66 and has been smoking for over 55 of those years, and is yet to get cancer. The other one quit but has started back up again. Even my mom smoked, but not until university, and quit after her dad died when she was 26.

What I can't totally understand is many royals who smoke have seen other royals or other individuals suffer from health issues relating to smoking. They probably have been warned over and over again, no doubt. As I've stated many times before, the health issues relating to smoking don't discriminate. Good medical care can only go so far for treatment for smoking related illnesses.

I've never smoked or acquired the habit. I have no regrets about not starting smoking.

I find it quite interesting that Queen Magrethe is still very healthy in her 70s, inspite of heavy smoking (though she stopped doing in public)..Smokers get an assurance from rare cases like these that smoking is not a big deal for health. Though I wonder she could keep up with the health for next 10-15 years like her British counterpart..

In the early 20th century and all the years before smoking was a sign of elegance and many people do it, so I guess despite we know now all the reasons for not start smoking they did'nt knew this before and for them was only something that makes them more "interesting"

The royal reporter Johan T Lindwall from Expressen has written about the royal family for a very long time. He said today at a chat with Expressen's readers, that the king has smoked, but has stopped. He knows that also Carl Philip has smoked, but he thinks that the prince has stopped. Madeleine is smoking and also her Chris.

Well Philip gave it up in 1947 on his wedding day so I rather doubt HM smoked any time after that if she ever did.

I have seen photographs of her carrying a cigaret pack. Must have been carrying it for someone else...:innocent:

There have also been rumours that the Queen smokes. Does anyone know if there are any legs to this?

I have had Kate fans tell me that in all seriousness she was carrying the ciggies for someone else. :lol:

I've never heard anything about the Queen smoking. I heard that the Queen Mother enjoyed her cigarettes but this was top secret.

I doubt Kate would tell children in a public appearance (for all to hear and report) that she never smoked, if there were even the slightest chance someone from her past would speak up and call her on her honesty.

I have had Kate fans tell me that in all seriousness she was carrying the ciggies for someone else. :lol:

I've never heard anything about the Queen smoking. I heard that the Queen Mother enjoyed her cigarettes but this was top secret.

I truly respect and find the women fascinating, but that would explain her teeth.

I don't find it absurd that some think she may have been carrying the cigs for someone else. I've held cigarettes for friends and I don't smoke.

In the 10 years that she's been photographed, I've only seen one photo of her with cigarettes (they were in her purse), so I truly have no idea if she smokes or not. If she does, then she's incredibly good at hiding it, or maybe just an occasional/social smoker.

Social smoking, in today's day and age. The habit is disgusting, unhealthy and invasive. No one in this country, that I know, smokes, socially. It is forbidden in most public places and not extolled as an asset. Camilla's teeth and Queen Margarethe's teeth are ungodly, but you pick your own poison.

I don't find it absurd that some think she may have been carrying the cigs for someone else. I've held cigarettes for friends and I don't smoke.

In the 10 years that she's been photographed, I've only seen one photo of her with cigarettes (they were in her purse), so I truly have no idea if she smokes or not. If she does, then she's incredibly good at hiding it, or maybe just an occasional/social smoker.

People refuse to believe that women hold stuff for their friends in their purse

Social smoking, in today's day and age. The habit is disgusting, unhealthy and invasive. No one in this country, that I know, smokes, socially. It is forbidden in most public places and not extolled as an asset. Camilla's teeth and Queen Margarethe's teeth are ungodly, but you pick your own poison.

Really I know more than a few people who smoke socially on both sides of the Atlantic. They do not smoke on a regular basis but if they meet up with friends at a bar patio and someone is smoking they will bum one or as we say they smoke OPs (other peoples) and the next day they do not smoke.......until they next time in the same scenario. I always wondered how they could pick up and drop the habit so easily.

The royal reporter Johan T Lindwall from Expressen has written about the royal family for a very long time. He said today at a chat with Expressen's readers, that the king has smoked, but has stopped. He knows that also Carl Philip has smoked, but he thinks that the prince has stopped. Madeleine is smoking and also her Chris.

It seems to me like it is the "royal" thing to do. I find that a lot of royals smoke. From many different houses.

Recently I watched a report from the US that said that recent stats showed that the cases of hospitalization from heart and breathing conditions dropped by 40% once the new laws were introduced forbidding people from smoking in public places.

My mother only stopped smoking when they found a heart tumor the size of a tennis ball. She had to have open heart surgery. She was happy to continue whilst she perceived all was well with her but took no notice of my hospital visits with breathing difficulties and advice from doctors begging her to stop smoking when I was around.

I have very low tolerance for smokers and their freedom to smoke in the presence of others, especially children.

Back
Top Bottom