Love Triumphing Over Obstacles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sira

Aristocracy
City
Dakar
Country
Senegal
Do you know royals who experienced lots of difficulties before marrying the person they loved?
I take as an example King Harald of Norway, who had to struggle 9 years before marrying Queen Sonja.

My thought always goes to Prince Bertil and Princess Lilian of Sweden, they met in the 40's in London but had to wait over 30 years until they could get married. Their love story lasted over 50 years, but they were married only 21 of those years. You can read more about Lilian in the September 2005 Newsletter.

Wallis Simpson and Edward VIII. Regardless of what you think of the couple they were in love.

On a more recent note, Charles and Camilla.

For me it's the story of my all-time-favourite couple ;) :
Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands and Claus von Amsberg

They became a couple in 1964 and were secretly in love with each other until a paparazzi caught them in the garden of Catel Drakenstein.
The dutch people were really in rage when they found out that Claus was a german and even a member of the german "wehrmacht" during WWII.
But Beatrix wanted to marry him in every way (and so the engagement became official only 2 weeks after discovering their relationship! :D very fast. they were in love for only 1 year this time. ;) )
The dutch didn't want Beatrix to marry Claus and protested against.
she didn't want to give up her love and even wanted to give up her Royal Status and become mrs. von amsberg.
They got married in 1966. :) Luckily.

The lovestory of Harald and Sonja is great too. :)

Hello everyone.
This is my first post on this website. :)

I enjoy looking at the pictures.

Although Haakon & Mette-Marit didn't have to wait a long time to get married, I think they definitely overcame obstacles. Mette-Marit had to deal with having every past action criticized which would not have been easy at all.

Dont forget on Grand duchess Maria Teresa and on GD Henri. MT had to fight with late GD Josephine-Charlotte. Josephine-Charlotte hated her for her cuban origin too.

Thanks you all for your contributions.

GrandDuchess said:
My thought always goes to Prince Bertil and Princess Lilian of Sweden, they met in the 40's in London but had to wait over 30 years until they could get married. Their love story lasted over 50 years, but they were married only 21 of those years. You can read more about Lilian in the September 2005 Newsletter.

I agree with GrandDuchess - this is for me the most impressive Royal Love.

I don't know if it was for their silence or for not showing a bitter face but I adore their love story - can you imagine 30 years to get married seeing all world princes getting married, their youth, their young brides, their gowns, their tiaras, their wedding parties, and instead of running away from difficulties you stay and sacrifies your dreams for your country and people - for 30 years - saying "I wont quit, from neither!" - and keeping both until the day you die.

I went through September 2005 Newsletter (Great suggestion :)) and was so nice to see it all again - Thank you, GrandDuchess!

No doubt, for me its Charles and Camilla. They had to fight against hardest resistance from all parts. And they conquered it all with a great happy end. True love and a real fairy tale.​

GrandDuchess said:

Yeah I rememeber reading about those two Swedish Princes years ago and was so touched by it...its defintly a true royal fairytale love story... to wait for some1 that long and to last together for many years to come.:)

Lexy said:
Hello everyone.
This is my first post on this website. :)

I enjoy looking at the pictures.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

GrandDuchess said:

Wow, what a love story! I want to know more. Did Prince Bertil marry anyone else before Lilian? I want to know was she the only one for him. Did they have any children together? Or perhaps were they worried about the backlash of having out of wedlock kids? Did they live together while they were waiting to get married?

They look so good together even in their later years.

How about Maxima and Willem? They had to fight the Parliament also and her father could not attend their wedding.

MyAdia said:
Wow, what a love story! I want to know more. Did Prince Bertil marry anyone else before Lilian? I want to know was she the only one for him. Did they have any children together? Or perhaps were they worried about the backlash of having out of wedlock kids? Did they live together while they were waiting to get married?

They look so good together even in their later years.

Unfortunately they did not have any children because they wed when they were in their sixties.

What about King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia?

What is their love story? Did they face any obstacles?

Kelly said:
What is their love story? Did they face any obstacles?

I don't think so, She was a princess of Greece and Denmark, he was Prince of Spain. They met on a cruise of the Greek Islands in 1954 and married in 1962. She had to give up her rights to the Greek throne but, no trauma's or obstacle's.

Their problem was that they have different religions and the Spanish Ruler at the time (General Franco) was an ultra catholic man and didn't want a non-catholic wife for the future King of Spain, the Greek Kings weren't so thrilled about their daughter marrying the son of the pretender of the Spanish Throne and preferred Sofia to marry Harald (which wouldn't have happened anyway); they had to get married 3 times the same day: one catholic, one ortodox and one civil, so that's why I said they had a lot of trouble to be together

One love that was really triumphing over many obstacles: Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria-Este (1863-1914) fell in love with the lady-in-waiting of a relative, Countess Sophie Chotek. Although she was from an old family, a simple Countess was not good enough for the heir to the throne. He fought for many years for that love and they finally wed in 1900 - but it was only a morganatic marriage, neither Sophie nor their three children were allowed to be Archduchesses or Archdukes. So Sophie founded the dynasty of the Dukes of Hohenberg.
She faced great problems at the court in Vienna, people were very nasty to her and so the couple was happy when they could spend their time far away from the court, for example in Bohemia.
They both were shot in Sarajewo in 1914.

When Sophia married, she converted to Roman Catholicism from Greek orthodoxy, according to her bio.

MyAdia said:
No, Prince Bertil waited until 1976 when he could marry Lilian, she was his first and only love and wife. Since they couldn't marry until they had reached a higher age, they did not have any children. Very unfortunate, but since things were as they were, it couldn't be helped. But today Lilian is like a grandmother for the royal children, she has always been very close to them, I guess they have been some kind of replacement for own children. Bertil and Lilian lived together in Stockholm all those years, she moved in with him in Villa Solbacken, and she became Sweden’s most secret co-habiter – officially she didn’t exist. Prince Bertil asked for understanding and respect, and the press kept quiet about it.

Well actually King Carl gave his consent for his uncle to marry Lilian. She was embraced well by all the Swedish people. Unlike Wallis Simpson and Edward.

Not a modern-day example but the last tsar, Nicholas II, had to overcome his parents' objections to Alexandra. Neither of his parents thought she would be suited to be Tsarina but Nicholas was determined to marry her and in the end, of course, he did. A definite love match.

I LOVE the story of Bertil and Lilian! Here's a link to a better written story of their romance: http://www.etoile.co.uk/Columns/Gioffredo/041222.html

Here is the entire article:

Wednesday 22 December 2004
Sweden's Great War Time Love Story:

Bertil & Lilian

Edward and Mrs Simpson are often the first 'royal' couple we think of when we contemplate difficult royal romances. However, in that generation, there was in fact another couple. Though they are not so well known as David and Wallis, their tale is perhaps an even more poignant example of the often-uneasy relationship that exists between royal duty and the heart.

Last edited by a moderator:
Skydragon said:
When Sophia married, she converted to Roman Catholicism from Greek orthodoxy, according to her bio.

Yes, but their wedding became a religious thing and even the Pope had to give permission for the wedding

I certainly think that Charles and Camilla qualify for this "award"! I must say, I detested Camilla at the beginning, but I have warmed to her over the past year or so, she truely makes Charles happy and has definitely worked on her image.

Another relationship that had to overcome obstacles (although I detest her) is Johan-Friso and Mabel, because of all the mob boss stuff that got drudged up. But unlike Charles and Camilla, I haven't warmed to Mabel, she just seems like a generally unpleasant woman.

Kelly said:
Unfortunately they did not have any children because they wed when they were in their sixties.

Now that is truly sad. But what an extraordinary story! That is the definition of true love.

Felipe also struggled to marry Letizia. The Spanish Royal Family did not approve his choice at the beginning.

I also heard that Queen Margrethe II waited 3 years to gave her consent to the marriage of CP Frederik and CP Mary, but I don't know whether it is true.

I will need some clarifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom