Queen Beatrix Announces Abdication: January 28, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maxima's father is now around 85 years old. He and Max's mother were at her 40th birthday party. Perhaps he is too frail to travel now.

I understand there were problems in the past, but too bad he can't be there to see his daughter become Queen of the Netherlands.

yes, I agree too bad the father can't see her,
she really won the jackpot with WA , i guess she never imagine that! now she will be Queen!
caan't wait to see the ceremony! I wonder what Amalia thinks? and Would they make renovetion in the palace before to move in? I can imagine Maxima would likea more modern look

I agree. I think there should be some sort of arrangements made to allow Maximas parents to be there. The poor man may have done things that are controversial but he is old now and this would be the only chance for him to see his daughter become a Queen. I think the people should take that into consideration and set aside any ill feelings for just a moment.

:previous:

I don't agree, it was a relief that Máxima herself said that her parents didn't come. Otherwise the bickering in the press and in parlament about her father would start all over again and overshadow the whole event. This is a state event and not a private celebration, and this man has a member of one of the most atrocious regimes of South America. This is the best solution for all parties involved.

Last edited:

I don't agree, it was a relief that Máxima herself said that her parents didn't come. Otherwise the bickering in the press and in parlament about her father would start all over again and overshadow the whole event. This is a state event and not a private celebration, and this man has a member of one of the most atrocious regimes of South America. This is the best solution for all parties involved.

I agree. Maxima, and her father, have done The Netherlands a great favour by eliminating any controversy before it had a chance to begin. The installation of WA as monarch is a state event, not a family affair, and he can watch it on tv or online if he wants to.

Last edited by a moderator:
With regard to Maxima's parents, it is of-course unfortunate that circumstances will not allow their attendance. However, Maxima has been a member if the Dutch Royal Family for over 10 years now, during which time I am sure they have discussed and accepted the situation and got used to the fact that they cannot attend occassions such as this. Nonetheless, I have no doubt that they are very proud of their daughter and son in law and will feel very much a part of the celebrations albeit far away.

Máxima's parents won't be there, I understand why. But I can't understand why her brothers and sisters wont be present, they attended her wedding why not this ceremony?

I have no idea why her siblings won't be there. AFAIK the statement was about her parents, not about her siblings.But I can imagine that the absence of Mr and Mrs Zorreguita will be felt even more when her siblings WILL attend.

--

At the moment former prime minister Lubbers - a close friend of Beatrix- is in a news programme, praising Máxima's decision - as did many others. He says it shows that she understands the sensitivities in our society and that she will be an enormous support for the new king.

Some other interesting things he had to say: while he was still prime minister he received a call from Queen Juliana, she wanted him to come to Soestdijk as she was worried if Willem-Alexander 'had it in him' and would be suitable for the task. Lubbers was confident that he was. And on another note, Lubbers said that HM had been very skeptical about previous partners of her sons. When the Queen told Lubbers that WA wanted to introduce a new partner -Máxima-, Lubbers advised: 'be nice' and trust your son. She later called him and said that she followed his advice, and that her son thanked her for it. But she added that afterwards she had something to explain to her husband and sons, as they were quite surprised by her changed attitude. Lubbers concluded that obviously WA and Máxima have been an enormous asset to the monarchy the last years, and that he has a lot of confidence in the future.

TBH it has been only praise all around in the press, politicians, etc. For Beatrix reign, for her decision to abdicate now, and for WA and Máxima. Even staunch republicans only have praise, dispite their fundamental problems with the monarchy as an institution.

Last edited:
I was just wondering if anyone knows what Beatrix is likely to do next after she abdicates. What is the tradition set by her mother/grandmother in terms of making public appearances etc, will she still turn up at events and engagements in support of charities or will all of that stop straight away?
Personally I'm wondering if she will effectively make a semi-move to London to be near Mabel and the grandchildren, something that would have been harder to do as Queen.

Beatrix said in her speech that she will not fade away and that she intends to still meet with the people. It was also announced that Beatrix & Alexander will determine what to do about the different patronages etc. Juliana did not fade away until her illness made it impossible for her to appear in public. Beatrix also has her personal interest in the arts which she can now indulge to a greater extent than she could as monarch, now having more free time. She can also spend greater lenghts of time with Mabel in London instead of flying over every second weekend as she does now.

I agree with this - Maxima did exactly the right thing here, although I imagine she also would have known the government would never have given her an actual choice in the matter.

I feel no sympathy for her father; some actions have lifelong consequences. If not being able to attend this inauguration is the worst thing that happens to him because of his prior connections then he's very, very fortunate, indeed.

Last edited by a moderator:
With regard to Maxima's parents, it is of-course unfortunate that circumstances will not allow their attendance. However, Maxima has been a member if the Dutch Royal Family for over 10 years now, during which time I am sure they have discussed and accepted the situation and got used to the fact that they cannot attend occassions such as this. Nonetheless, I have no doubt that they are very proud of their daughter and son in law and will feel very much a part of the celebrations albeit far away.

Exactly. Missing this can't be more traumatic than missing your daughter's wedding. They perfectly understand the situation,

Speaking of biweekly trips to London. What exactly did that entail as far as man power, security, luggage to make that run? As a past monarch, that detail will shrink and therefore more effective.

Speaking of biweekly trips to London. What exactly did that entail as far as man power, security, luggage to make that run? As a past monarch, that detail will shrink and therefore more effective.

I wonder if Beatrix has a house in London? I know Mabel and Friso have one but would it be big enough for Beatrix especially as Queen with security etc. As you say that will all decrease now.
Will the former Queen still get an allowance from the state? Will it be the same as now or go down? I keep thinking of so many questions about the new arrangements!!

I am glad that the Dutch have this "tradition" of abdicating, rather than waiting for the death of the monarch. I honor Queen Beatrix for her strength in leading her Country in such a grand way for so many years and I honor her for making this decision. I will pray for Willem-Alexander and Maxima in their new duties and roles. They will be leading a great Country with an incredible history.

Here is a video of Princess Margrethe at the death of her father and her taking up her duties as Queen of Denmark. It looks like a most painful and difficult situation. To bear the death of your father is enough.

The King is dead, long live the Queen. - YouTube

Well, that would make Carl-Gustav 94, but will he be of sound mind? Who knows.
The Bernadotte males do not appear to suffer from any mental decline. Carl Johan Bernadotte that recently died at an advanced age of 96 demonstrated that.

Last edited:
Still that's never true across a family. Each person is different you never know. That said. I actually like the idea of abdication but I respect and understand the tradition of staying a monarch for life.

Still that's never true across a family. Each person is different you never know. That said. I actually like the idea of abdication but I respect and understand the tradition of staying a monarch for life.

I think it's nice for a monarch to have this option within their tradition. I applaud The Queen for her life of service and her timely decision. These are sure signs of greatness . . . Perhaps other monarchs may find this option suitable in their countries as well . . .

Oh, wow. I just saw this. It's very bittersweet. Maxima & WA as king & queen - wasn't expecting that this soon.

Blessings to Queen Beatrix!

I wonder if Beatrix has a house in London? I know Mabel and Friso have one but would it be big enough for Beatrix especially as Queen with security etc. As you say that will all decrease now.
Will the former Queen still get an allowance from the state? Will it be the same as now or go down? I keep thinking of so many questions about the new arrangements!!

Yes,Princess Beatrix will still get an allowance,ofcourse...And I'm not making that up...LOL...:ROFLMAO:...

As a rule only the Monarch,his/her spouse,and the former Monarch get an allowance,and Amalia once she reaches the age of 18,and not sooner and only her,not her sisters...Everybody else works for their living,ie,they all are blessed with an amount of grey cells enabling them to lead succesfull lives

And really,when HM travels to London she "travels light" ,who said it would decrease?No.

On answers to the questions to the new arrangements,it's all been said already all over the threads really.

The order of presedence is clear thanks to Artemisia who explained that very clear,just the intricate details of the actual day have to pop-up,but that will be soon enough.

It will be the Signing of the Act of Abdication in the morning followed by the introduction of the new King and Queen on the balcony of the Royal Palace by,then,Princess Beatrix.Alexander and Máxima and their daughters will appear on the balcony amid cheers by the crowds on the Dam Square.
In the afternoon all guests will assemble at the Nieuwe Kerk adjacent to the Palace,and finally,King Willem-Alexander,dressed in white tie and ermine robe and Queen Máxima will walk from the Palace to the Church under a tradional but styled long fishermens net...a reference to the welcome Prince Willem received landing at the beach of the fishermens village of Scheveningen upon his return from exile as he was invited to become the Sovereign of The Netherlands and later King Willem I.

The King will be announced in the Church by what we call a Heraut der Wapenen,,a task last performed by Erik Hazelhoff Roelfzema,the Soldier of Orange....To the right of what will be used as a Throne seat* is the Family of the King,His Mother and daughters as well as his brother Constantijn,his sisters-in-law and then the extended family as well as foreign Royal guests.To the left is the Corps Diplomatique and in front the Credence Table,holding the Crown,Scepter, Orb,Sword of State,The Constitution and the Royal Banner.

The Government and all Members of the States General,Parliament,representatives and Ministers of the Dutch Caribbean,the Military and all other distingueshed guests.

No Coronation,no annointing,but yes still a very impressive ceremony.
Trust me,it will be impressive nonetheless...I didn't make it up...I've been there before...33 years ago to the day!:):whistling:

I am more curious of the Kings choice of music and choir.Before his mother entered the church in 1980 the orchestra played Mozart's Coronation Mass,and the Maastrichter Staar was the choir of choice,it being under Royal Patronage for so long already even then..But upon the entrance of TM the National Anthem will be played ofcourse,and that,particularly in this setting,this occasion,will be more impressive then on any other occasion just due to the sheer significance of it all.It will be beautifull,all of it.

* I say "what will be used as a Throne seat" ,as we don't have a real Throne but over the centuries all sorts of chairs,more or less impressive,have been in use during these ceremonies.The "Throne" we all know best is the one at the Hall of Knights wirh the Cypher of the Monarch over it...that too btw,has to be changed into a combined W and A by septembers Prinsjesdag..

Last edited:
Is the Prince of Oranje at the time Queen Beatrix has ended to sign the abdication document King of the Netherlands or after the inauguration? If no, could we say that the Netherlands will be this year for a short time without a head of state?

Last edited:
Is the Prince of Oranje at the time Queen Beatrix has ended to sign the abdication document King of the Netherlands or after the inauguration? If yes, could we say that the Netherlands will be this year for a short time without a head of state?

Yes,Willem Alexander will be Monarch as soon as his Mother signs,or finished signing..,and before the ink is dry...Not after all the ceremonies,but then and there in the morning of april 30th at the ceremony of the Signing of the Act of Abdication.

Btw,no robes in the morning ceremony,just a suit for HM The King and no doubt impressive dressed to the occasion outfits for the Ladies.:)

Abdication Beatrix and Inauguration WA: Titles, names and line of succession

Why does Beatrix title revert to Princess upon abdicating, instead of "The Queen Mother"?
It seems disrespectful and dismissive to downgrade her.

Why does Beatrix title revert to Princess upon abdicating, instead of "The Queen Mother"?

It's written in the Dutch Constitution.

Here is a video of Princess Margrethe at the death of her father and her taking up her duties as Queen of Denmark.
Just a minor correction: It´s not Princess Margrethe we see here, but Queen Margrethe II. She became queen in the moment her father died :flowers:

Timins said:

Artemisia's awnser has has been moved to a new thread, which you can find here. All future questions & remarks about titles will be moved to that thread too..

Last edited:
Just a minor correction: It´s not Princess Margrethe we see here, but Queen Margrethe II. She became queen in the moment her father died :flowers:

Thank you, FasterB. I do like accuracy. :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom