Prince Hamzah Bin Al Hussein relinquishes his title as "Prince": April 3,2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rossina

Former Moderator
City
Country
India
Prince Hamzah Bin Al Hussein relinquishes his title as "Prince": April 3,2022

Jordan`s former crown Prince relinquishes the title prince in a new tweet published today.

Source: Prince Hamzah`s twitter Account

Last edited:
Surprising! But was it really necessary to make this decision?

I wonder what will happen to his children? Are they going to lose their titles too?

Last edited:
Very sad he relinquishes of his title!!! Was he forced to do it????

Last edited:
But why does is he doing that?

He is Prince by blood

But why does is he doing that?

He is Prince by blood

So despite his announcement last month, the feud seems not to be over ! That is worrying !

If he’s not a prince anymore, will they let him leave Jordan now?

Very sad he relinquishes of his title!!! Was he forced to do it????

I am pretty sure he didn't come up with this idea himself...

Does this mean he is no longer eligible to succeed to the throne?

Can someone translate the full announcement?

I noticed that his mother responded to a tweet as well. What did the tweet say that she responded to with a prayer emoji?

Do we know what the relationship is like between King Abdullah and Queen Noor?

Legally Prince Hamza is still "HRH Prince of Jordan" and has not yet lost his title despite publishing that tweet.
What I understood from legal experts who commented on this issue is that the royal family law applied in Jordan does not allow princes and princesses to relinquish royal titles. Only the king has the right to grant or take away any title.

Last edited:
:previous:
i guess you are right,
i think it will take more than just a post on social media or a statement on papper to relinquish a title there are procedures and laws to follow

Hi, how I can share pics with u? For Prince Hamzah bin alhussein?

Surprising! But was it really necessary to make this decision?
I think he felt that they were stripping him of the title, so he raced to make it seem to people that he was the one who gave up

I wonder what will happen to his children? Are they going to lose their titles too?
According to the law of the ruling family, only his wife can be stripped of the title of princess, but his children remain princes and princesses unless an explicit decision is issued to strip them of the titles

Do we know what the relationship is like between King Abdullah and Queen Noor?
Very bad, and the king is angry and upset with her and hates her more than he is angry with his brother Hamzah

Last edited by a moderator:
Today, May 19, King Abdullah issued a Royal Decree "to restrict communications, place of residence, and movements of Prince Hamzah":

** rhc: Royal Decree approves recommendation of council formed under Royal Family Law to restrict communications, place of residence.. **

My brother Hamzah continues to ignore all facts and undisputable evidence, manipulating events to bolster his false narrative. Unfortunately, my brother truly believes what he claims. The delusion he lives in is not new; other members of our Hashemite family and I have long realised that he reneges on his pledges and is persistent in his irresponsible actions that seek to sow unrest, unconcerned with the ramifications of his conduct on our country and our family. As is typical of him, not long after vowing to renounce his erroneous ways, he goes back on his promises and returns to the path he chose years ago, putting his interests before the nation instead of taking inspiration from the history and values of his family. He continues to live within the confines of his own reality rather than recognising the great stature, respect, love, and care we have given him. He ignores facts, denies realities, and plays the role of the victim.

Last edited:
Yes, Hamzah got 'house/palace arrest'.

As such, Hamzah will remain at his palace, in line with the decision of the Ruling Family Council, and in order to prevent a repeat of any of his irresponsible actions, which would be dealt with accordingly.

As for Prince Hamzah’s family, they do not bear the burden of his actions. They are my family and will be given all the care, love, and nurturing they need in the future, as they have received in the past.

It seems the rift continues and even widens. King Abdullah is not restraining himself any longer but is trying to damage Hamzah as much as he can by painting a very dark picture of an arrogant prince that doesn't know his place, including references such as the one below about his days in the army:

I sought to support his career in the Armed Forces, in the hope that the dedication, patience, and sacrifices of our brothers in arms would invigorate his resolve and help him move past his overwhelming negativity. But I was disappointed. During the years he spent in our valiant Armed Forces, a school in honour and fortitude, I would receive complaints from the Arab Army’s leadership and his colleagues about his arrogant conduct towards his superiors, and his attempts to sow doubt in the professionalism and capabilities of our Armed Forces.

At the heart of it seems to be the 2004 decision of Abdullah to go against his father's specific request to have Hamzah as Crown Prince:
The sedition case in April of last year was not the beginning of Hamzah’s state of denial. He chose to stray from the legacy of his family years ago; while he claimed he had accepted my constitutional decision to restore the position of the crown prince to its original constitutional rule, all his actions since have demonstrated otherwise. His negative behaviour was obvious to all members of our family, as he surrounded himself with individuals who sought to promote opposition to that decision and made no effort to stop them.

I was hopeful that Hamzah would find contentment in the stature and position with which God Almighty had blessed him, so that he could serve our beloved nation and people. However, he continued his offensive behaviour against me, the legacy of his family, and our state institutions that extend every support to him and others.

Does anyone know what is stated in the constitution about the role of crown prince? It seems that Abdullah is following the 'western' model in which the eldest son (or child) is the crown prince; while having brothers succeed each other seems to be the norm/much more common in the Middle East.

Last edited:
Yes, Hamzah got 'house/palace arrest'.

It seems the rift continues and even widens. King Abdullah is not restraining himself any longer but is trying to damage Hamzah as much as he can by painting a very dark picture of an arrogant prince that doesn't know his place, including references such as the one below about his days in the army:

At the heart of it seems to be the 2004 decision of Abdullah to go against his father's specific request to have Hamzah as Crown Prince:

Does anyone know what is stated in the constitution about the role of crown prince? It seems that Abdullah is following the 'western' model in which the eldest son (or child) is the crown prince; while having brothers succeed each other seems to be the norm/much more common in the Middle East.

There is no role for the crown prince in the Jordanian constitution. The constitutional powers of the king are exercised by the king or his regent during his absence outside the country.

The constitutional powers of the king are exercised by the king or his regent during his absence outside the country.

Who is, usually, the Crown Prince.

Who is, usually, the Crown Prince.

You can say that he is the legitimate heir to the throne, but without any direct powers in the constitution, except for what the king entrusts him with.

It is not necessary for the crown prince to assume the duties of the regent when the king travels abroad, as this task is often entrusted to the king's brothers and cousins.

Last edited:
There is no role for the crown prince in the Jordanian constitution. The constitutional powers of the king are exercised by the king or his regent during his absence outside the country.

In the constitution, the eldest son of the King is the crown prince by default, but gives the King the power to instead appoint one of his brothers if that is his wish.

The Jordanian crown prince is whoever the king says he is. Abdullah does know that, and it obviously doesn't suit him.

He's afraid, I think, or he would just let Hamzah and family leave Jordan. But perhaps Hamzah thinks house arrest is preferable to exile? (I really doubt he gets a say.)

In the constitution, the eldest son of the King is the crown prince by default, but gives the King the power to instead appoint one of his brothers if that is his wish.

I found this translation of the constitution. For those who are interested: Article 28 is the relevant one to read - although it does not specify the title of crown prince, it does explain whom the 'royal title'/throne will move to upon the death of the king, in other words, who the heir is. This is: 'the eldest son' of the 'holder of the throne' UNLESS the king selects one of his brothers as his heir apparent. Note: he cannot select one of his other sons!

So, the former king who had appointed his brother Hassan as heir almost until his death, had three options for his heir: his eldest brother Abdullah, his middle brother Muhammad and his youngest brother Hassan. And he decided to switch at the last moment (3 weeks before his death!) from his youngest brother to his eldest son. If not, Jordan would still have had 'king Hassan' with most likely crown prince Rashid (if king Hussein would have had his way, Hassan could have stayed as long as he would have appointed Hamzah as his crown prince - even though the Jordanian constitution doesn't provide for that).

Interestingly, while for direct descendants the order is the direct line (meaning that if Hussein would have children and die before his father, his son would still be the new king and Hussein's younger brother Hashem); for 'side lines' it does matter who is still alive and who is not. For example, if Abdullah had no sons, the throne would go to his 'eldest brother' that is still alive; if for example the eldest brother already died, his children would be skipped and another brother will become the new king. Only if that whole generation is no longer alive they will start with the next generation. So, it seems to be an interesting mix of male primogeniture with some Arab traditions.

Article 9, however, is interesting in the case of Hamzah:
Article 9

No Jordanian may be deported from the territory of the Kingdom.
No Jordanian may be prevented from residing at any place, or be compelled to reside in any specified place, except in the circumstances prescribed by law.

So, which circumstances prescribed by law are applicable in this case?

And does Article 16 - 1 still apply to him?
Article 16

Jordanians shall have the right to hold meetings within the limits of the law.

Last edited:
Prince Hamzah is a member of the Royal family, so his case was dealt with in accordance with the Ruling Family law of 1937. The Royal Family Council was formed in accordance with this special law headed by Prince Ali bin Al Hussein who was appointed to this position by his brother the King.
In addition to Prince Ali the council membership included the Prime Minister of Jordan, the Minister of State for Cabinet Affairs (appointed by the Prime Minister), the President of the Jordanian Court of Cassation and the Supreme Judge. ِ According to Jordanian Media, this council gathered all the documents and evidence related to Prince Hamzah`s case and signed a recommendation to the king to restrict the communications, place of residence, and movement of Prince Hamzah.
Their decision was raised to the King on December 23, 2021.

The Jordanian crown prince is whoever the king says he is. Abdullah does know that, and it obviously doesn't suit him.

He's afraid, I think, or he would just let Hamzah and family leave Jordan. But perhaps Hamzah thinks house arrest is preferable to exile? (I really doubt he gets a say.)

According to the constitution, the king is restricted to two options for the position of crown prince, either his eldest son or one of his brothers. If he wants to choose another family member, he needs a constitutional amendment that allows him to do so.
The crown prince, whoever he is, inherits the throne in the event of the king's death and when he becomes king he cannot be obligated to appoint a particular candidate as his crown prince. It was said that King Hussein, in his last days, wanted to restore the throne to his descendants after Prince Hassan, but he realized that it was impossible to guarantee this desire especially when Prince Hassan refused to abide by that explicitly. That's why he decided to dismiss his brother and appointed his eldest son Abdullah as his heir. So did King Abdullah II in 2004 when he dismissed Hamzah.

Last edited:

I´m a bit confused. I thought the CPrince was Hussein, the eldest son of the King? If so, why wouldn´t this suit him?!:ermm:

I´m a bit confused. I thought the CPrince was Hussein, the eldest son of the King? If so, why wouldn´t this suit him?!:ermm:

Because it was Hamzah at one point and his uncle for quite a long time before that, so trying to claim the primogeniture "constitutionality" is a bit rich. Abdullah is standing on a very tiny hill.

Back
Top Bottom