Prince Albert - Expedition to the North Pole: April 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
WindsorIII said:
Is there any welcome home celebrations or anything to celebrate the success of the North Pole trip planned in Monaco?
Nope, I haven't heard of any. Besides there was hardly any coverage in the local paper. Today only a pic with a few lines. Seems they only report it, because they are obliged to and not because they think it interests their readers. Just before the holidays a class from one of the local schools went to the Oceano graphic museum to follow the events a bit, but that was just about as much attention as it got here.

:) hi everyone. well it's been a couple of days since i've been able to get back on since the change over. :rolleyes: hmm, imho, well i hear that monaco may need the refurbishment of their incindry(did i spell that right??:confused: ) plant. however, i think what PA may be attempting to do by increasing people's awareness to the need for global warming to be handled quickly by everyone is of far GREater benefit than any small changes monaco itself could physically do. (although these changes are of importance to say the least. :eek:
However from what little i have read (this is i Think PA point) is that the ocean allows a margin of only 3 degrees in one direction or another up or down) at the point of 3 degrees either colder or warmer than the right temp mother nature designed, EVERYTHING in the ocean food chain from the tiniest planketon to the largest animal will die.
while we hear so much about the great RUSH from all country's to get to those area's to develop it at that time i think people just haven't thought things thru. ;) IT'S those COLD water temps that puts the brakes to hurricans typhoons and it's the HUGE AMOUNTS OF HEAT IN THE OCEAN water that feul those typoon's and hurricane's. so, when those north pole area'S ARE melted that is going to leave the ocean's heat with no place to find relief which means those hurricane's will find nothing to keep them from routinely being category 5 before slamming into land and typhoon's as well. however, imho, there's an unviewed factor going on here. the huge amounts of super cold water act as a balancer to the earth's crust which contains alot of volcanic vents within water, once those cold waters warm all that heat inside earth will overheat and will probably cause volcanic activity and that's not good. so it's important for all countries to get on the ball it going to matter to wealthy or poor alike. You see, the water is already ONE DEGREE WARMER THAN mother nature designed according to scientists. so, what PA means is urgency matters with everybody. ;) did any happen to find pictures of PA and his return after north pole.:confused: :eek: :confused: does anyone have any O-pinION's on this :confused:

Last edited:
moonstream1 said:
:rolleyes: hmm, imho, well i hear that monaco may need the refurbishment of their incindry(did i spell that right??:confused: ) plant. however, i think what PA may be attempting to do by increasing people's awareness to the need for global warming to be handled quickly by everyone is of far GREater benefit than any small changes monaco itself could physically do. (although these changes are of importance to say the least. :eek:

If PA really wants to make changes, he needs to start at home, so the incinerator in Fontveille has to go. Two other changes can be made as well: first, reduce the amount of cars per person in Monaco. As Paca has mentioned, it is possible to get around by foot and public transportation although it is not as glamorous. I'm sure there is even a way to reduce emissions on public transportation by using different types of energy efficient fuels, solar power, etc. (May not get you there all that quickly, but I'm sure one of the geniuses at MIT or CalTech will figure something out. ;) ) Another way would be to turn out those lights in all of those empty apartments. There are other possible uses for these buildings as Paca has said...expanding and improving the current university...creating research facilities...creating affordable housing, etc.

That being said...while Albert is for all intents and purposes an absolute monarch he still has advisors and very powerful and wealthy and influential people in MC who benefit by keeping things the way they are. This isn't as "easy" as buying Onassis out of the SBM; in order to make these changes he will need the investments of others. Raising that kind of capital can be difficult from all new investors and you can't kill a project before you've found a replacement. So right now the first steps are to create buzz and attention around the problem and then start proposing solutions in private to a few investors. Once the financial backing is in place, you can make an announcement about a change, and goal achieved. But it requires patience and a lot of political skill, capital, and with a problem of this scale, world attention. (This can take years: I'm sure the situation with Onassis didn't crop up out of the blue...it built over a period of years. And the tourism idea started years prior to the showdown in the early 60's. Once Onassis was gone, Rainier had to attract hoteliers and others in the tourism industry and prove that MC was a valuable investment. Having a glamorous, American, ex-movie star wife helped of course...)

So much to do...it's all a matter of priorities now...

Another excellent post Pink. Perhaps you should consider a post in Monaco!

But not PA's bride. ;)

Ann

I've deleted some posts that were off topic but not really appropriate for other threads. If people want to discuss the state of Monaco, it can be done in the Prince Albert's Achievements thread (as long as the issues really are associated with his achievements and not his father's achievements or some other reason):

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f13/prince-alberts-achievements-9277.html

or in the What's the News in Monaco These Days thread:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f13/what-s-news-monaco-these-days-2958.html

as long as the topic is related to the Monaco royals.

This thread is to discuss the North Pole trip.

Elspeth

Monaco moderator

Last edited:
Some pics of Prince Albert in the North Pole
part I

(Paris Match)

hg7lm.jpg

dg7ql.jpg

bgf34eq.jpg

53de.jpg

3549wp.jpg

5427xp.jpg

5427xp.jpg

more of Prince Albert in the North Pole
part II

(paris match)

51658jt.jpg

n7ct.jpg

jj2ns.jpg

from DPA-EPA :

Prince Albert II of Monaco toasts with a glass of vodka at the geographical North Pole , Sunday 16 April 2006. Prince Albert II has reached the North Pole as a member of Russian-Monegasque expedition.
w8tbu1.jpg

Prince Albert II of Monaco holds the sertificate confirming that he reached the geographical North Pole , Sunday 16 April 2006.
w8te2v.jpg

These expedition pictures are great! I especially like the ones where AnnaBelle is laughing while assisting PA with his belt/equipment. It looks like they were all working well together.:)
It looked tough--but they all had great attitudes!

Gala Dinner for Polar Expedition - 12 May 2006

Monaco is having a gala dinner on 12 May 2006 to celebrate the Centennial of Prince Albert 1st Polar Expedition. It will start at 8:30 pm and will be held at the Salles des Etoiles of the Monte Carlo Sporting Club. Dinner will be prepared by Alain Ducasse and distinguished artists will participate, including Andrea Boccelli. The proceeds from the gala and auction will benefit the preservation of the polar regions and a charity for handicapped children/orphans.

DÎNER DE GALA DU 12 MAI 2006 À L'OCCASION DU CENTENAIRE DES EXPÉDITIONS POLAIRES DU PRINCE ALBERT 1ER

Un dîner de gala sera donné le 12 mai 2006, à 20 h 30, à la Salle des Etoiles du Sporting - Monte-Carlo pour clôturer les deux Journées commémoratives du Centenaire des Expéditions Polaires du Prince Albert 1er marquées, au Musée Océanographique, par un cycle de conférences scientifiques accessibles au public, sur les divers aspects de la vie dans le continent arctique, ainsi que par une exposition qui se prolongera plusieurs mois. Ces manifestations scientifiques se situeront également dans le droit fil de l'expédition conduite par S.A.S. le Prince Albert II de Monaco sur les traces de Son Trisaïeul au mois d'avril 2006 et en hommage au Prince Albert 1er.

Cette soirée exceptionnelle réunira autour de Son Altesse Sérénissime de hautes personnalités du monde scientifique dont, notamment, les conférenciers Jacqueline Carpine-Lancre, Art Collin, Graham Shimmield, Samantha Smith, Yvon le Maho, Julian Dowedeswell, Douglas Macdougall, Yves Coppens, Emmanuel Le Roy Ladurie, Jean-Marc Jancovici.

Le dîner sera préparé par Alain Ducasse et d'éminents artistes devraient y participer dont l'interprète Andrea Boccelli.

Le bénéfice de cette soirée et de la vente aux enchères sera reversé au profit d'une action menée par Samantha Smith dans le cadre des projets de l'association WWF pour la préservation des régions polaires et en faveur de Charity Rehabilitation Fund Adventure Club, fondé par Dmitry Shparo en faveur d'enfants handicapés ou orphelins.

Thank you for the info. Myadia. This should be a fascinating gathering. It will be fun to see who attends. Annabelle will look lovely in a gown--we will have to watch for photos and get style reports. The proceeds are going to worthy causes. This is like having a sporting club ball in May.:) I'm sure PA's family will attend.

Face to Face

Prince Albert II of Monaco inaugurates Arctic Exhibition - Monaco

zivmmf.jpg

zivmnr.jpg

zivms0.jpg

zivmu8.jpg

zivmvl.jpg

zivn08.jpg

Where are the pictures of the event???
We need to see who is attending this event and which of PA's lady friends are invited.....

Does any one know if Caroline or Stephanie was there?

Glistening Seas

;) hello omg those pics are amazing bravo to whomever got them. it was so soon for them to have managed to get an exhibit together so quick. that's marvelous. i think those animals are magnificient specimens if they are real and if not, well, you had me fooled they are awesome.

:eek: all those animals about always attracks the older and younger generation too. The picture of PA grandpere (which relative is it? is this right?) and the PA picture is so cute i'd bet from what i can near tell, if his granpere were clean shaven there would be a striking resemblence, awesome too.

Newscom/MaxPP

12/05/2006. SAS le Prince a preside la soiree de Gala organise a l occasion de son expedition, sur les traces de son trisaieul au Pole Nord. SAS le Prince Albert II. MONACO AT 13RD 2006. PARTY IN PRESENCE OF THE PRINCE WHO REACHED THE NORTH POLE INA BID TO RAISE AWARENESS OF GLOBAL WARMING.

zl50g2.jpg
zl50l3.jpg
zl50nq.jpg
zl50s6.jpg
zl50ty.jpg
zl50yg.jpg
zl510l.jpg

Thanks for the pictures! The dog is adorable. I'm assuming he was Prince Albert's sled dog. I wonder if this is the first time a dog has ever attended a royal gala (at least in Monaco). Dogs are much better dates for Albert anyway. They don't talk.

Thank you TBHRC!
--I couldn't wait for the pictures--you really came through for the forum, as usual. Annabelle looks so pretty in that turquoise color dress. I think it was so cute to include the sled dog in the festivities.:) The sled dogs ice sculpture is great,too!

Last edited:
Here's another one of Albert and Mme Bond. It's from Newscom also and I do not have access to a better copy.

Attachments

• PA_Bond_NPGala12May06.jpg
    PA_Bond_NPGala12May06.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 232
Thank you for the photo myAdia--They make an attractive couple..we'll see what happens....
You are so right --dogs do make good "no tell" companions for PA.

teense said:
Thank you for the info. Myadia. This should be a fascinating gathering. It will be fun to see who attends. Annabelle will look lovely in a gown--we will have to watch for photos and get style reports. The proceeds are going to worthy causes. This is like having a sporting club ball in May.:) I'm sure PA's family will attend.

Forgive my ignorance, but who is Annabelle? Is that the same as the lady in turqoise, the mme Bond? Is she the organizer of some sort? Did she go on the trip?

MyAdia said:
I wonder if this is the first time a dog has ever attended a royal gala (at least in Monaco). Dogs are much better dates for Albert anyway. They don't talk.
LOL MyAdia you are too funny :p It's been a cute idea to "invite" the dog :) Thanks for the pics!

princess olga said:
Forgive my ignorance, but who is Annabelle? Is that the same as the lady in turqoise, the mme Bond? Is she the organizer of some sort? Did she go on the trip?
Anabelle Bond was part of his team. She is wearing the turqoise dress

teense said:
Thank you for the photo myAdia--They make an attractive couple..we'll see what happens....
You are so right --dogs do make good "no tell" companions for PA.

After seeing the pics wtih Albert with his lead dog in the Arctic, I knew there would be more of them together. Yes, doggies don't kiss and tell...kiss and wag, maybe... :D :eek:

Annabelle did look lovely...but I get the impression they are just friends.

Ahh the dog is adorable. Yeah I think he's just friends with Annabelle. Though he is always "friends' with the women he is pictured with lol.

Glistening Seas

:) i must say how great those turned out and how quickly those pics are placed on the web is amazing. you know the picture of his (correct me if i am wrong his grandfather or great grandfather) what magnificent eyes. you can see how much PA resembles him in his eyes and cute pixie nose. Although the pictures of PA with a moustache are magnificent without a doubt, i bet if his grandfather were cleanshaven i'd bet the resemblence would go further too. Although PA imho is handsome and looks great without the beard. :D does anyone know about the watch is that a gift or something they are endeavoring to sell to the public to promote awareness or something:confused: :eek:imho the pooch and the animals are always a great crowd attracking and crowd pleasing thing people are so instinctively drawn to animals and their frailty and their need for humans to look out for them is a great way to draw the attention of old and young alike.

Last edited:
Glistening Seas said:
you know the picture of his (correct me if i am wrong his grandfather or great grandfather) what magnificent eyes.

Prince Albert I was Prince Albert II's great-great grandfather (albert II - Rainier - Princess Charlotte - Louis - Albert I). He does have very penetrating eyes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom