Uncrowned Monarchs

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When Queen Wilhelmina, Queen Juliana and Queen Beatrix abdicated the kingship, they all reverted to the style they had before the kingship. After their death they are referred as "Queen".

In daily practice the abdicated Sovereigns (Beatrix, Juan Carlos, Albert II, Jean) enjoy high préseance and are placed directly after the reigning Sovereigns and before the Heirs. At all international events following their abdication you can see that for an example (then) Princess Juliana and/or Grand Duke Jean had (have) places of honour.

There was considerable speculation about the style and title of Benedict XVI following the announcement of his abdication of the Petrine throne. Some suggested he would revert to the style of a Cardinal, but as we know, ultimately the Holy See settled on Pope Emeritus (which is consistent with retired clergy of most ranks). I realise this was a rather unique occurrence and I don't mean to provoke discussion about the Holy Father here, but it seemed relevant.

As mentioned previously, like other European monarchs, Popes since Paul VI have opted for installation masses, rather than coronations.

There were two women who used the title Lady of the English: one was Empress Matilda, the other - Matilda's step-mother (Henry I's second wife), Adeliza of Louvain.

Prince Carlos of Bourbon-Parma, Duke of Parma and Piacenza is a claimant to the throne of the Duchy of Parma under the name of Carlos V. He is considered by some a pretender to the Carlist claim to the throne of Spain under the name of Carlos Xavier I.

According to the Legitimists, Louis Alphonse de Bourbon, Duke of Anjou is considered the pretender to the throne of France. He is referred to as Louis XX.

Back
Top Bottom