The Queen's Churchgoing Habits

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remember reading somewhere that she rarely even takes communion in England.

So she wouldnt take Communion in my Baptist Church

Of course not. She's the Supreme Governor of the CoE. It would be visually (as well as theologically, probably) inappropriate for her to take communion in a church which is not at least in communion with the CoE.

wbenson said:
I remember reading somewhere that she rarely even takes communion in England.

Now that I find very peculiar, given how devout she is.

An intimate setting with restricted public access. members of the staff and some of the villagers are allowed in. Tiny as opposed to the size of a normal town church.

Tiny & intimate yes - restricted no. My friend & I arrived about 30 minutes before the service began, had never been before, are not local and were not even expecting to go to the service (so not even in our "Sunday best" clothes) There were none of the Queen's staff apart from the one Lady In Waiting who arrived & left in the Queen's vehicle. The two ladies (to clarify - The Queen and her lady in Waiting) sat together in the side pews, which were otherwise empty. Even security waited outside, not inside the church.

When we found we would be welcome to join in, we simply walked up to the door, had our bags checked by the Security, and were allowed to pick our own seats, although the front 5 or 6 rows were being saved for known parishioners. No-one asked who we were or where we came from - all they needed to know was that we wanted to take part in the service. The Church was about half empty during the service, simply because no-one else came to take part.

At the end, the Queen went out to her car first but then everyone else began to leave immediately after she moved. Outside, the security chap waved us to the best spot to stand, and then a few seconds later the car crawled past us and because just us two were standing there we got a personal smile & wave from HM. So you see any visitor is apparently very welcome to go to Crathie to share the services.

I am amazed that this was the case as normally at the services at Crathie, if the RF are in attendance, names are checked very carefully and full bag searches are also the order of the day. Having attended Crathie in the past and will do so again, I am astonished to hear that security has been dispensed with on your visit when HM was expected to attend.

Although the service may have been read from a sheet of paper, the blessing for the royal family is always said.

Last edited by a moderator:
So did she even go to church on a regular basis? Even when she was married?

why? would it make a difference? does god love a person less if they don't go to church?

You're absolutely right. Presbyterians (in this case, Church of Scotland)don't pray for the dead. I expect that William and Harry's grief was included with the usual pastoral prayer for "those who mourn." My husband, a Presbyterian minister, prayed that awful Sunday morning for "those who mourn, whether they live in hovels or in palaces."

I'm not an expert on church doctrine - far from it - but adding her to that prayer would be asking God to bless a dead person, and I'm not sure that that's sanctioned by the church.

wow GillW...what a great coincidence. or did you know that she'd be there? a great store to share though.

wow GillW...what a great coincidence. or did you know that she'd be there? a great store to share though.

The Queen attends every Sunday during the time she spends at Balmoral, the only exceptions are if she is unwell. It was well publicised that HM had vacated BP for the summer, as it was opened to the public on the Tuesday.

Although my friend had mentioned that HM had moved up to Scotland before the closure of Balmoral for visitors, we had no idea until we arrived in the car park that she would be at Church that day. Pure serendipity!!:flowers:

It was almost a miracle...I never have such luck!

The closest I have ever been to HM was outside Buckingham Palace. I took a friend over and there was much commotion outside a side gate. I asked a bobby where should we stand and he pointed one side, then I asked which way should we look at and he said on the left.........so a few moments later a black car arrived. HM was sitting behind the driver, had a pistaccio green outfit on and a beautiful smile ..........she did not wave but the car came by so slowly, I had a good look of her I will never forget.......I do not know why but even today when I think about it I tear up............I love this lady and she is not even my Queen.

Indeed - and singing "God Save Our Gracious Queen....." when you can SEE her close by is incredibly moving...I could barely get the words out. I'm glad you had chance to see her so closely - it is a very special memory, isn't it?:flowers:

Oh!! it was like a scene from a ballet, as soon as her car got inside the gate they raised the Standard atop the Palace, then a wooden gate opened and her car was out of sight. I was struck at how beautiful an old lady can look. She is -unfortunately- part of a dying breed.

i can certainly appreciate that odette....the first time i was in london, my hosts took me on a quick driving tour on the way back to their home. it was a long time ago so the details on exact location are gone but it must have been close to BP...the driver had to pull over as i believe he saw flashing lights in his rear view mirror and just thought the police were coming up behind him. he pulled over and the next thing you knew, HM was passing us! mind you...her car didn't slow down but i did manage to get a good look. she is a lovely lady isn't she!

Coming back to the Queen's attendance at Crathie Kirk, one of my Presbyterian friends pointed out gleefully to me (a C of E minister) that the Queen has no status whatsoever in the Church of Scotland, (or any of the other non-conformist churches in England or Scotland) except as a mere parishioner.

At first I found this a wee bit peculiar, but apparently she rather enjoys being a parishioner in a village church in the middle of nowhere :)

The trick is to remember that the Queen is Queen Elizabeth the Second of England, and Queen Elizabeth the First of Scotland !!

She opens both the United Kingdom Parliament (which happens to sit in London), and the Scottish Parliament which sits in Edinburgh (Holyrood). It's always nice to see her clad in heather-coloured outfits when visiting Scotland :)

At first I found this a wee bit peculiar, but apparently she rather enjoys being a parishioner in a village church in the middle of nowhere :)
She sounds so down to earth despite all the pomp and circumstance. I rather like that about our Queen.

I've often wondered what the Queen is thinking when "God Save the Queen" is sung. I wonder whether she ever thinks of her father and singing "God Save the King" as a child?

Indeed - and singing "God Save Our Gracious Queen....." when you can SEE her close by is incredibly moving...I could barely get the words out. I'm glad you had chance to see her so closely - it is a very special memory, isn't it?:flowers:

I've often wondered what the Queen is thinking when "God Save the Queen" is sung. I wonder whether she ever thinks of her father and singing "God Save the King" as a child?

In a similar vein - I once heard a comment that 'God Save the Queen' could be seen as a 'love song' by Philip.:lol:

If I was Prince Philip, I would sing it the whole day through for that Lady. As a 26 year-old Belgian guy, I can not stop singing it each day with a rousing Fanfare and beautifully arranged setting of the National Anthem.
I would look to her every minute of the day, but sadly I was not born Philip.
A pity!

How long has 'God Save the King/Queen' been around? Who was the composer?

How long has 'God Save the King/Queen' been around? Who was the composer?

According Wikipedia God Save the Queen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

we don't know who composed it but the first version in the modern form dates to 1744 but there were some earlier versions which could also be classed as this anthem with the earliest being the John Bull version and he lived 1562 - 1628.

Thanks once again for the speedy response. I though after I posted I should have tried 'wiki'. But have heard that everything on 'wiki' is not necessarily true.

Oh!! it was like a scene from a ballet, as soon as her car got inside the gate they raised the Standard atop the Palace, then a wooden gate opened and her car was out of sight. I was struck at how beautiful an old lady can look. She is -unfortunately- part of a dying breed.

:D:D:D I am envious. What luck to be so close to her.

This thread has been like Sleeping Beauty for a while, so it needs waking up ....

The Zara'n'Mike wedding gave some much needed publicity to the church which the Queen regards as her other parish kirk in Scotland - apart from Crathie church.

Those of us in Scotland / Edinburgh had a very pleasant afternoon at the Canongate, and I doubt there will be another such occasion for a very long time. Well, you never know....

The Edinburgh Festival (or, rather, lots of Festivals) has just started, and I shall have the pleasure of spending time at the various musical recitals taking place in the Canongate Kirk.

Last edited:
Some more insights into the workings of the Church of England....as they pertain to Her Majesty....

In the Church of England there are a sizeable number of Honorary Chaplains to the Queen. These are clergy with long, distinguished service, and there are at present only 33 of them.
Normally it would be an Anglican Priest or a Church of Scotland minister, or, nowadays, someone from another faith tradition.
They wear a red cassock and a special badge.

Honorary Chaplain to the Queen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On my last trip to Britain I had the pleasure of attending a service at the Queen's Chapel at St James' palace - yes it is an ordinary church and anyone can attend. The minister there though is one of The Queen's chaplains. I had a short discussion with her after the service - apologising for my attire as I was dressed to get on a plane for a 24 hour flight home and thus not dressed the way I would have been for church - she was lovely and I also asked her about what it was like to be the Queen's chaplain - she said it was an honour. Of course she didn't say anything much else about it but it was just a lovely occasion, for me.

Please could I correct a slight error that I see was made at the start of this thread?

What about the Chapel inside Windsor Castle

That's St George's Chapel, Royal Fan.

My I humbly point out that Royal Fan was quite right: There IS a private Chapel in Windsor Castle which is QUITE DIFFERENT from St George's Chapel.

Alex

When we get to chapels and other buildings, it gets even better :)

Wikipedia has a category named "Anglicanism stubs". One of the available pages is named "Incumbent (ecclesiastical)". Another will deal with Advowsons, and yet another with Royal Peculiars....
Advowson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incumbent_(ecclesiastical)
Church of England - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Royal Peculiar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is only a brief start to all things ecclesiastical...

If anyone is interested, there may be sufficient material for a new thread.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm a little confused about the Queen's Sandringham Church attendance on Christmas day, one TV clip I saw she was alighting from a Range Rover wearing a fur coat, and on another TV clip later I saw the Queen arrive in her official Bentley later on in a lavender coat accompanied by Sophie.

Did the Queen make two separate visits to Church that morning, if so why?

Hi, I'm a little confused about the Queen's Sandringham Church attendance on Christmas day, one TV clip I saw she was alighting from a Range Rover wearing a fur coat, and on another TV clip later I saw the Queen arrive in her official Bentley later on in a lavender coat accompanied by Sophie.

Did the Queen make two separate visits to Church that morning, if so why?

HM and the family attended twice, a private service early in the morning then the more public one later on.

Back
Top Bottom