The Queen and Canada: Residences, Governor General, etc...

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G-G could spend Canada Day moving

There's a rough script being written in the Prime Minister's Office on how Stephen Harper will crown Canada's next Governor-General.

The plan, according to one informed source that the PMO didn't dismiss as delusional speculation yesterday, would see Gov.-Gen. Michaelle Jean replaced on July 1 on the eve of her fifth anniversary as a popular force of personality and fashion sense.

The unique twist would see the 28th vice-regal sworn in by Queen Elizabeth II herself during her nine-day tour of Canada that starts on June 28. G-G could spend Canada Day moving

Very much a once-in-a-countries-lifetime event. I wonder who will be the next Governor-General anyway?

How come Michelle Jean has to leave?
Is it a 5 year post or something?
Lucky for the 28th. :)

Governors General traditionally serve for around five years. There aren't really any rules on it, though. There's nothing preventing a government from opting not to have a new one appointed after five years, and nothing stopping them from having a new one appointed early (unlike for the provincial lieutenant governors, who can only be terminated "for cause" before five years are up).

This would be such a great thing to see and something I beleive Harper would try very hard to make happen. I would love love love to see this and Im all for it.

I like Gov.-Gen. Michaelle Jean, it will be sad to see her go. Interesting to see who he picks hopefully it won't be a flop like Adrienne Clarkson.

I think that the person will most likely be an Anglophone and perhaps a man this time. He/she probably won't be a CBC personality, considering that we've had two recently.

I think that Michaelle Jean has been more popular than Adrienne Clarkson. Perhaps she's had more of the "common touch."

I like Gov.-Gen. Michaelle Jean, it will be sad to see her go. Interesting to see who he picks hopefully it won't be a flop like Adrienne Clarkson.

CBC News - Nova Scotia - Nova Scotians paying for Queen's bathroom

Nova Scotia taxpayers are shelling out another $15,000 to re-do a bathroom in the newly renovated Government House for Queen Elizabeth II — in case she decides to stay there during a visit to the province in June.

A brand new shower was ripped out last week, along with the toilet. The Queen is coming to Nova Scotia in June, but there's no guarantee she'll even see the new bathroom. Buckingham Palace still hasn't confirmed where she will stay during her official visit.

I've liked MJ and more than AC but I didnt mind AC either. I will definitly be an aglophile, most likely not someone from the CBC, and maybe a male, but Im seeing female for some reason. I really hope they pick a prominent aboriginal leader this time round. That would be historic, especially if QEII is there as well.

Yes, it does somehow look likely that that peculiar game of Canadian 'musical chairs' (Francophone replaced by Anglophone and vice-verca) with the two top offices (G-G & PM) will continue. I wish The Current Governor-General all the best in her retirement as well, you have done your duty and displayed a safe and common touch. A tough act to follow.

100 Posts Up.

My guess would be an Anglophone male or maybe an aboriginal could be slotted in to the 'musical chairs' now?

I liked both Ms Jean and Ms Clarkson, although I find it odd that 2 females from CBC were chosen in a row.

I think that it would be wonderful to see a GG from the aboriginal (First Nations) community!:flowers:

My guess would be an Anglophone male or maybe an aboriginal could be slotted in to the 'musical chairs' now?

I liked both Ms Jean and Ms Clarkson, although I find it odd that 2 females from CBC were chosen in a row.

Yes, and also they both were born outside of Canada. I believe that they both married their husbands, their long-time live-in "partners", shortly before becoming GG as well. They certainly have things in common, although they are very different characters.

I used to watch Adrienne Clarkson on "Take 30" when I was a young child. :)

A first nations GG would certainly set another precedent. It's wonderful that the post of Canada's GG in recent years has reflected our diversity. I would be sad to see Michaelle Jean go though, she has the common touch and is generally very well-liked. But the PM appears to want to replace her and put his stamp on the position so to speak. I would like to see her continue for another term.

Governor General's 5th speech possibly her last - thestar.com

There has been speculation that [the throne speech] was also her last, and that she will be replaced by July 1, which would mark the end of an unofficial five-year term in office.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper is said to have had an alternately warm and cool relationship with Jean, who was appointed by his predecessor Liberal prime minister Paul Martin. Her daughter and his children have sometimes played together at Harrington Lake. Laureen Harper and Jean have taken hikes in the Gatineaus together.

Harper was, at one point, described by an aide as "charmed" by Jean, indeed, friendly with her – contrary to the whispers around Ottawa.

Yet the Harper-Jean relationship developed its irritants.

Governor-General to land in Port-au-Prince for two-day tour

Since the earthquake, Ambroise Anderson now carries everything that is important to him in a dusty red Jansport backpack secured with a length of course, twisted rope.

There are art books, Sharpie markers for drawing sketches on smooth pieces of rubble, his school certificates and a yellowing piece of correspondence from August, 2006, stamped in the top left corner with the golden seal of Canada's Governor-General and signed with Michaëlle Jean's curvy penmanship.

“I hold everything that is valuable to me and this is important because I respect her,” Mr. Anderson says as he gingerly pulls the letter from his bag outside the one-man tent that is currently his home on Sur Place, Jacmel's town square.
Governor-General to land in Port-au-Prince for two-day tour - The Globe and Mail

Governor general to mark women's day in Haiti

MONTREAL — Haitian-born governor general Michaelle Jean will mark International Women's Day on Monday in Haiti, as the impoverished nation struggles to rebuild two months after a crippling earthquake.
"We know that the island is experiencing terrible suffering, not only because of the earthquake, but also because of the poverty, which was already endemic before the disaster," Jean said in a statement ahead of her three-day trip, which will include a visit to the neighboring Dominican Republic. AFP: Governor general to mark women's day in Haiti

Let the wild viceregal speculation begin - The Globe and Mail

Not wanting to let a long weekend pass by without giving political junkies something to talk obsessively about, the Toronto Star says the search is on for a new Governor-General.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper has decided not to extend Michaëlle Jean's term as viceroy and is "actively seeking her replacement," the paper reports.

CTV News also mentioned Wayne Gretzky as a possibility on television last night.

Rick Hansen is also a contender.
There's even a small campaign promoting William Shatner for the job! William Shatner - Governor General/Gouverneur général | Facebook

Canadians Content with Governor General Jean

April 04, 2010

(Angus Reid Global Monitor) - Many adults in Canada are satisfied with the performance of their governor general, according to a poll by Angus Reid Public Opinion. 57 per cent of respondents approve of the way Michaëlle Jean has handled her duties, while 26 per cent disapprove.
In addition, 43 per cent of respondents support extending Jean’s term for two years, while 40 per cent are opposed. Canadians Content with Governor General Jean: Angus Reid Global Monitor

Well if John Landy and Shirley De La Hunty [nee Strickland] can Govern West Australia and Victoria, then I suppose Wayne Gretzky is a chance.

I'd prefer Wayne Gretzky to Rick Hansen. There's something about Mr. Hansen that annoys me.

Well if John Landy and Shirley De La Hunty [nee Strickland] can Govern West Australia and Victoria, then I suppose Wayne Gretzky is a chance.

Hi,

I do not champion Wayne Gretzky at all for GG...
He is now more American than Canadian and is widely publized as "Whine Gretzky" because of all his crying and tantums over the years.
Also, his wife wouldn't like to leave LA; that's why he went there in the first place, not because he was 'traded' - but because she wanted to go back "home"...

I would be happy with Rick Hansen, as he is all Canadian and a "hero"... And, there is no detrimental controversy surrounding him....

Larry

I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but I do not think that sports people are suitably qualified to be a Vice-Regal Represenative. They are there to first and foremost represent the Queen. Sure, some of them do persue a wide-rang of community projects outside their careers; but many are just like rock-stars or celebrities who are only concerned with their public image and bank balance. If Stephen Harper picks Wayne Gretzky, then I would be expecting him to be succeeded by Celine Dion! :lol:

You make a valid point, RoyalistRiley. Hopefully the Governor Generalship is one office that's free from the cult of celebrity worship!

If Stephen Harper picks Wayne Gretzky, then I would be expecting him to be succeeded by Celine Dion! :lol:

Hopefully the Governor Generalship is one office that's free from the cult of celebrity worship!

It should also be free of politics. I think that it is wrong that the PM is trying to put his 'stamp on the position'. If anyone should be doing that - it is the Queen.

What are the chances of a current Lt Governor assuming the office of Governor-General, should the Prime Minister go down that path?

Canada News Centre - Message from Her Majesty The Queen

As proud and grateful Canadians, we pause today to mark not only the ninety-third anniversary of this Nation’s victory at Vimy Ridge but also to pay tribute to the passing of a truly remarkable generation who helped to end the most terrible conflict the world had ever known.

Keep the Queen and choose another head of state - The Globe and Mail

Recognizing the governor-general as more than the monarch’s representative would help give the position greater respect and stature – and the change wouldn’t hurt the Constitution, or the Queen, one bit.

If the governor-general were designated Canada’s head of state, Queen Elizabeth would still be the Queen of Canada. Nothing in law or the Constitution would change. The change would simply reorient non-legal and non-constitutional titles to make it clear that the governor-general serves Canada and Canadians in his or her own right as Canada’s head of state. This might encourage Canadians to take the position of governor-general more seriously. It might even lead them to wonder why the choice of a governor-general who might well at some time have to reject the advice of a prime minister over an important issue remains solely in the hands of the prime minister, an interested party. There are better ways to choose our head of state.

Back
Top Bottom