The Queen and Canada: Residences, Governor General, etc...

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
~*~Humera~*~ said:
without going too much into that, my point was regarding what our (Ontarians/easterners') perception is. And most of us see Alberta as the most conservative part of Canada (re: gay marriage etc)
Overall, BC is seen as far more liberal (not necessarily in the political sense)
http://www.angus-reid.com/polls/index.cfm/fuseaction/viewItem/itemID/9103

We are more sociall liberal, but tend to vote conservative at the federal level because of the whole alienation thing. It's sad, really.

Thank you. I did not mean to sound mean. It's just that they were talking about canadian stuff in the BRForums and outsiders don't get to talk about that in the other threads. The GG is indeed a special entity that you Canadians cherish. I have learned so much. (But I still can't figure you guys out:D ). I mean I know you all are human beings, but what goes on up there?

Last edited:
I believe that this thread belongs in the British forum because the Governor General is Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth's representave in Canada and we should not be bullied into moving it to Members' Corner by a few disgruntled individuals.

Now come on. I was not bullying. I just made one statement and I was primarily joking around. ANyway, if you read the title for this thread, it says British Royals aka The British Royal Family. The GG is not a member of the British Royal Family so this thread does not belong here. Second, some poster are talking about politics. I did not even mention anythign about that (I think). I just think it is a bit unfair that this gets to be discussed in an obviously inappropo. place. It just isn't fair. For pete's sake read the rules (you guys' rules by the way)!

i was looking for this thread in the members forum and couldnt find it
thought i was losing my mind:p
If it does bother some people then we'll stay away from politics and stick to the GG.

It is not the politics that bothers me (it is really interesting to learn this stuff about canada cuz I woudl otherwise not care). It is just hta I come to the BRF thread and I see this. It is just so odd.

It is not odd to those of us who have the Queen as their head of state.

But you see that is it. Canadians have her as a head of state (as well as others) and you have a GG who is a representative and you guys get to talk about domestic politics! It doesn't bother me that you guys do, but it is just odd that this gets allowed in the BRF forum. Gosh with the thread on hurricane katrina and with posters being warned to not talk about politics and to come to this thread...that is a bit sketchy.

P.S. I am not looking for a fight so you canadians and all-powerful mods/admins have your fun whatever is decided. I was just expressing my thoughts.

Last edited:
Princess BellyFlop said:
Not that it would matter if she had been born out of wedlock but Marie-Eden was adopted by Michaelle a few yas ago. I recall a report in the magazine «Madame au foyer» showing the two of them, Marie-Eden was about 12-18 months, and Michaelle was explaining why she wanted to choose a little Haitian orphan and give her a chance in life. At the time, I didn't even knew or realized that Michaelle was probably in her early 40s, she looked so young.

Thanks for this bit of information Princess BellyFlop. I did not know that Marie-Eden was adopted. I don't know where I got the obviously wrong information that Marie-Eden is Michaelle Jean's biological daughter. Knowing this now, I admire Michaelle Jean even more for having made such a choice and having given another human a better life than she would've had otherwise.

I think she is the kind of woman the Queen would approve of as her representative to the Commonwealth. Michaelle Jean seems level-headed, grounded, practical, and determined about her new role. While I liked Adrienne Clarkson very much, and applauded her as the GG some years ago, I always felt a little bit that she was a bit too grand for the role and office at Rideau Hall. She seems more fitting to be the representative for a Queen such as Margrethe of Denmark who loves pomp and ceremony and likes a big party.

Princess BellyFlop said:
It's fun to chat with other fellow Canadians on this thread. As probably the only Quebecer on this board, at least the only French-speaking one, I find it interesting that we can exhange in a civilised matter on topics that keep our politicians going and going in circles for decades. Also it's kind of hard to voice your attachment to Canada where I live... snif snif snif.

I appreciate this, too! I am a Torontonian/Ontarian and the rest of the country probably thinks that we feel the world does and should revolve around us! :p

the only reason a political discussion was relevant in this case was because the new GG's appointment stirred up controversy at the beginning regarding her own alleged political beliefs in the past. Its a discussion that the Canadians on this board are well aware of and that is why we are discussing it.

Reina said:
But you see that is it. Canadians have her as a head of state (as well as others) and you have a GG who is a representative and you guys get to talk about domestic politics! It doesn't bother me that you guys do, but it is just odd that this gets allowed in the BRF forum. Gosh with the thread on hurricane katrina and with posters being warned to not talk about politics and to come to this thread...that is a bit sketchy.

P.S. I am not looking for a fight so you canadians and all-powerful mods/admins have your fun whatever is decided. I was just expressing my thoughts.

But nobody has talked about the head of our government -- Paul Martin or the opposition leader Stephen Harper. The only mention of our Prime Minister has been to say that he is the one who chose our new GG. Nobody has brought up their views on how Paul Martin is running the country -- which would most certainly qualify as politics.

This particular GG is in a unique position as she has been outspoken at times about how she feels about the Quebec separatist situation, and as she now represents the Queen and the Queen is to be neutral in terms of politics, I think such a discussion is fair play. We now have a representative to the Queen who has a clear (though I guess becoming murkier by the minute to avoid controversy) opinon about a very important, essential identity issue in Canada, when she should really be neutral.

Yep. In the British Royal Family Forum. I think I'll start a thread on Tony Blair. He is the Queen's representative of something isn't he.

A governor general is not the same as a PM. A PM runs the government, the GG doesnt.
A PM represents a particular political party, the GG is beyond partisan politics.

Alexandria said:
I am a Torontonian/Ontarian and the rest of the country probably thinks that we feel the world does and should revolve around us! :p

thats exactly the impression Ive been getting from the latest discussion about the west and east. I do think thats quite an unfair perception though. Its not the way I feel & its certainly not the way most Ontarians view themselves.

Look again, I am not trying to start a fight. But how long do you guys plan to talk about this GG stuff-in the British Royal Family forum?? COme on this isn't hard. Posters on here try really hard to abide by the rules, but the GG has become an exception. This is too crass-no make that stupid, foolish, and stupid! Now please if you guys are going to continue this foolishness than just screw me and tell me to shut up. And if you want to erase my posts that refer to my feelings of where this thread is. But like I said b/f, it is great to learn all this about canada, but it is in a totally inappropo place. This isn't rocket science!

Reina said:
Yep. In the British Royal Family Forum. I think I'll start a thread on Tony Blair. He is the Queen's representative of something isn't he.

No. No he isn't. :eek:

Thanks to my fellow Canadians for such a lively and interesting discussion abour our Canadian Crown. It's been a great read. I am doing a piece for my Journalism class on the future of the Canadian monarchy and the relevancy of the commonwealth and I'm so relieved there are other people who actually know how the Crown operates in our country. Too bad I didn't find this topic sooner as I would have loved to discuss the subject, but you guys and gals have taken the words right out of my mouth. :)

Reina said:
Look again, I am not trying to start a fight. But how long do you guys plan to talk about this GG stuff-in the British Royal Family forum?? COme on this isn't hard. Posters on here try really hard to abide by the rules, but the GG has become an exception. This is too crass-no make that stupid, foolish, and stupid! Now please if you guys are going to continue this foolishness than just screw me and tell me to shut up. And if you want to erase my posts that refer to my feelings of where this thread is. But like I said b/f, it is great to learn all this about canada, but it is in a totally inappropo place. This isn't rocket science!

If you're not trying to start a fight, here's a simple suggestion. Don't click on "New Governor General For Canada." It's a pity you are making such a stink about such a relevant and timely topic.

Reina said:

I believe that Mandy has made herself perfectly clear in her above post about why this thread will be staying in this forum.

That's fine if you disagree with the Administrative decision that has been made, but it's no reason to call someone or the decision crass -- no make that stupid, foolish, and stupid.

Nobody is trying to screw you around. The decision is clear. Even though I do not normally advocate this, if you don't want to participate, or feel that this thread is inappropriate, then simply don't visit this thread. Those who are interested in discussing it can continue to do so without distracting side comments and judgements that are coming from an uninformed place or comments that are simply mocking.

Alexandria, as a fellow member, not as an Administrator

I did not refer to a person as being crass, etc. I said this as in this situation. But you are not only a fellow member, an administrator, you are using your power as a moderator for your own convenience. ANd it isn't right.

Reina said:
I did not refer to a person as being crass, etc. I said this as in this situation. But you are not only a fellow member, an administrator, you are using your power as a moderator for your own convenience. ANd it isn't right.

No, that's not true at all. I made one decision -- to move the thread -- which Mandy disagreed with and she explained her reasoning to me and she over rode my original decision. I agree with her explanation and had not actually thought of things as she had.

So I am really in the same "predicament" as anyone else.

I frankly don't care where this thread actually is physically located within the forum. I do think however that the discussion is a relevant and important one and relates well within the confines of this forum. I am not the only member who feels this -- other members have stated their belief about the relevancy of this topic as well. Members who are not moderators and who are not using their power as a moderator for their own convenience.

So now we have a situation where it is only one member who disagrees and opposes with a decision that an Adminstrator has made while many others have (openly) supported it and see the legitimacy of such a topic.

Ok. Well you mods are always stressing the rules of sticking to royalty and not politics. Where in the rules does it state that if a majority of posters (but who said that most of them feel this way anyway) want a certain topic they can keep it. You mods are always stressing this rules. Yet I get criticized cuz I was trying to follow them. Mandy calls me a bully. You say I am misinformed. I guess I am cuz I just I did not realize that the Governor's General is a member of the British royal family.

The forum isnt just about members of various royal families, it is also about related issues. In other forums too political discussions that are relevant to a certain royal house are discussed (the JRF forum for example). Same goes for the British forum. Queen Elizabeth, who is the head of the British royal house, also happens to be Queen of countries like Canada, Australia etc.
These countries have strong historic ties with the British crown. As such any discussion regarding the place of the Crown and the Queen in Canada is relevant, so is a discussion about her vice-regal representative. There was a thread in this forum about the Commonwealth a while back. That wasnt directly related to any member of the BRF either but I dont recall anyone complaining then.

Last edited:
Reina said:
Ok. Well you mods are always stressing the rules of sticking to royalty and not politics. Where in the rules does it state that if a majority of posters (but who said that most of them feel this way anyway) want a certain topic they can keep it. You mods are always stressing this rules. Yet I get criticized cuz I was trying to follow them. Mandy calls me a bully. You say I am misinformed. I guess I am cuz I just I did not realize that the Governor's General is a member of the British royal family.

The institution of monarchy is part of the goverance structure of a country, which is political. Tnus you can't always divorce discussions regarding monarchy and politics.

altagrace said:
Hello Princess Belly Flop!! (cute name)
Je suis sure qu'il y a d'autres francophones qui sont membres de ce forum. I am one of them!!
You're right- Great discussions! I was so glad when I discovered this site.

Happy posting!

Bienvenue - Welcome! You are new here with about a dozen posts. I'm sorry I forgot Francophones in the ROC. I saw that you are from Ontario. Easier for you to express your attachment for Canada then if you were like me in Quebec.... But I'm keeping the flame!

Reina said:
Thank you. I did not mean to sound mean. It's just that they were talking about canadian stuff in the BRForums and outsiders don't get to talk about that in the other threads. The GG is indeed a special entity that you Canadians cherish. I have learned so much. (But I still can't figure you guys out:D ). I mean I know you all are human beings, but what goes on up there?

Are you really only from the United States? It seems rather ignorant that you know so little about your neighbours to the north. We are not talking about people from Mars. What kind of a comment is "I know you all are human beings, but what goes on up there?" When did Canadians become such exotic, foreign creatures? :confused:

If I were in your position I wouldn't have said anything about the validity of this thread and kept on reading so that I could at least learning something new about those "human beings up there." :mad:

Princess BellyFlop and altagrace ...nice meeting you , im also a french-canadian...as a immigrant ( origninaly from morocco ) im glad that Paul Martin choose Michaelle Jean as a Governor general for Canada :)

Good grief!
This morning I started reading the thread where I had left yesterday - about page 3. I was so happy that in this thread about the Governor General I have the very rare opportunity to exchange information and opinions with fellow Canadians from all over the country, in a very polite, very respectful and civilised manner - an even rarer opportunity for us Canadians.

I was surprised and shockly sad to read repeated attacks on the existence of this thread from a member who is not even directly concerned by this special event. This might be a «Canadian» event but it is directly related to the British Monarchy as the Governor General is our Queen representative and our head of state. This is a very big event for us that is bringing discussion in our society like probably no other nomination has ever had before as some are questionning not only their appartenance to our beautiful country and others the utility of that official function and whether or not we still need to be associated with our Majesty.

Princess BellyFlop said:
Good grief!
This morning I started reading the thread where I had left yesterday - about page 3. I was so happy that in this thread about the Governor General I have the very rare opportunity to exchange information and opinions with fellow Canadians from all over the country, in a very polite, very respectful and civilised manner - an even rarer opportunity for us Canadians.

I was surprised and shockly sad to read repeated attacks on the existence of this thread from a member who is not even directly concerned by this special event. This might be a «Canadian» event but it is directly related to the British Monarchy as the Governor General is our Queen representative and our head of state. This is a very big event for us that is bringing discussion in our society like probably no other nomination has ever had before as some are questionning not only their appartenance to our beautiful country and others the utility of that official function and whether or not we still need to be associated with our Majesty.

I agree Princess BellyFlop and share in your sentiments. I thought that this thread was very intelligent too and I enjoyed reading all the different opinons about this. Especialy from some members (maybe just one?) who is from Quebec and obviously has a different view or at least a different perspective about this nomination.

It's unfortunate that one person who is not directly affected by this new GG voiced such opposition to the existence of this thread. I am not saying that you need to be personally affected or even affected by a distance by an event to make a comment, but when members are not directly affected by an event or an individual they show more respect than what was shown here.

I think this thread has opened a wonderful dialogue amongst Canadian members of this forum. The discussion here is very intelligent and insightful and has not relegated to superflous fawning or drooling or anger and unjustified criticism. I think it's one of the most intelligent and mature threads here and I thank Mandy for keeping this thread open in the proper place. :)

I hope that the discussion will continue.

Genevieve said:
If I were in your position I wouldn't have said anything about the validity of this thread and kept on reading so that I could at least learning something new about those "human beings up there." :mad:

Genevieve, I understand you and how you feel but we are Canadian and therefore we will not play that kind of game. It's hard, trust me I KNOW. We Canadians apparently have a world reputation as peace-keepers, let's keep that reputation. hihihi!

Last edited:
And if we go back to our main beautiful subject: Madame Jean our Governor General.

I do not know how to call her. I surprised myself calling her Michaelle in conversation with friends. Must be because of her last television program that was called that way and her accessibility.

Here in the news we saw many new Canadians, many young Haitians, mentionning how important it is for them to see someone like her in this prestigious position and how she is a model of hope.

I also like the mission she chose for herself: no more solitudes. Big big agenda! Maybe we had enough of that «deux solitudes» (two solitudes) motto that describe us so sadly and we start doing something about trying to change it all together with Michaelle, oups Madame Jean.

Did my ROC friends hear about that mission of her and what do you think about it?

Back
Top Bottom