The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-17-2019, 10:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I wonder if Prince Philip and The Queen will meet up with, Mr. Roy Warne, and have a chance to thank him for helping with the accident?
I would imagine that the Queen would not only get in touch personally with Mr. Warne but also with the other casualties involved in the accident. She's that kind of a person that will be concerned about their well being.

It was an accident in the truest sense of the word. It can and does happen to the best of drivers. I've had it happen to me. I lost my brakes in rush hour traffic going into downtown Detroit and underbellied a semi. The ca was totaled and they needed the jaws of life to get me out but I only suffered a broken nose and a small head laceration but the aches and pains were quite the after effects and like Empress Merel, I required physical therapy for my back after. To this day, I still get the heebeejeebees when I'm next to a semi on the freeway.

I don't think this is a cause to revoke Philip's driving license but I would imagine that Philip, himself, will be paying much closer attention to the road to avoid a repeat of what happened.

No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 01-17-2019, 11:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Who is le the law in UK? In many countries after a certain advanced age the driver has to pass regular exams, medical but also for his driving capacity and reflexes. I wonder if prince Philip would pass these exams.
Nevertheless independently of his own skills and capacities, 97 is too old.... He could just play with this car inside the palaces domain....

Old 01-17-2019, 11:37 PM
Royal Highness

Thanks Anglophile. Learn something new every day.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:49 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
This sounds like jumping to conclusions. There is no evidence that Philip's age was the cause of this accident. That may turn out to be the case, but it sounds like that particular stretch of road has already had numerous accidents and that they have been considering actions to reduce accidents there. I doubt that everyone who has had one of those accidents has been elderly.

Being in an accident is scary and difficult but it sounds like everyone came out of it without serious injuries, it could have been so much worse.
No jumping to conclusions involved. Doesn't matter what the causes of the other accidents were. What matter is what was the cause of THIS accident. Jumping to conclusions could be very well be assuming that all accidents at this location had the same root cause.

If his Dr says it's time, it's time. But he should also have the sense to realise and accept it himself. It's not like he will have to take a bus, he will always have a driver. The reality of life it that at some point a person WILL become too old (reflexes, eyesight etc) to drive.

Additionally, as I said in relation to physiological injury, just because people walk away with no physical injury does NOT mean they are not injured. As anyone who has been involved in a car accident, or assisting people in the aftermath knows, the effects can stay with you, sometimes you get 'over it' sometimes certain effects are forever.

He gets no pass on this from me.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:17 AM
Heir Apparent

I am glad everybody involve in the accident is ok, but I must agree with BorgQueen, he shouldn't be driving.
My husband is 3o years older than me and he has short term memory lost , he is having some tests and I think he has some Alzheimer. Not easy. But one thing that I notice it was his driving , how he forgets where to go, so I contacted the Doctor , had some checks, and now in order for him to get his license back is to pass his written test first for driving and once he pass that he can do a driving test, so far he did the written test 3 times and he didn't pass, I see it difficult for him to pass because he can not remember what we just talk 3 minutes ago. Of course he is very upset, angry and with bad temper , specially for a man to be taken away his driving license is a big thing specially here that it is not public transportation , you do not drive you are in a mess. And it is really hard on me because I have to drive our daughter everywhere and work it is very difficult but I do not want him to course any accident, I do not want get hurt, nor my daughter o somebody else for that matter and my husband it is 20 years younger than Prince Phillip. But I think we have all to use some common sense .
Old 01-18-2019, 02:28 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
More details about the crash from Emily Andrews:

https://mobile.twitter.com/byEmilyAn...36453757468672
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
His car had apparently crossed one side of the road when it was hit on its passenger side by the Kia which is thought to have been travelling south.

The impact spun his car around into the path of traffic heading north and turned it over in a layby on the western side of the road.[/I]
So we currently have two "versions" of the crash. One says Philip was hit by the Kia, the other says Philip drove into the path of the Kia.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/01...7764323717.jpg

This is the picture of the road, the Land Rover entered from the right, and was in the middle lane waiting to turn right from that position. Philip entered the southbound carriage way with this sun in his eyes and potentially drove into the Kia.

If this is the case, then it's less about due care and attention afterall. Doesn't matter your age, as we're all affected by low sun.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:32 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by csw View Post
I find it surprising the others in the accident weren't included in the Archbishop's prayers and the news is not make much mention of their wellbeing beyond saying minor injuries. I think it's shortsighted for both the palace and the archbishop not to pay attention to everyone involved.
I completely agree with this. While I'm glad that DoE was physically unharmed, and didn't require immediate hospital care, the two ladies in the other car were injured, and there was that baby in the other car too. It is very short sighted and callous to not mention them in the prayers.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:34 AM
Royal Highness

Our news media here keep referring to his vehicle as a Landrover, not a Rangerover.
I am certain there is a big difference. Even when the news cross to a UK witness who refers to the car as a Rangerover.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:40 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
Our news media here keep referring to his vehicle as a Landrover, not a Rangerover.
I am certain there is a big difference. Even when the news cross to a UK witness who refers to the car as a Rangerover.
It is a Land Rover, which is my error and nowadays Land Rovers and Range Rovers do look quite similar.

Philip was driving a Land Rover Freelander 2: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/01...7761561941.jpg

Old 01-18-2019, 03:43 AM
Royal Highness

Ok. I wonder why UK people were calling it a Rangerover.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:43 AM
Heir Apparent

I find it charming that the Duke of Edinburgh's reputation is so embedded in our culture, that when the man who helped him after the car accident was asked if the Duke had said anything to him, the man immediately replied :
"He did. It wasn't rude." !!
Old 01-18-2019, 04:58 AM
Royal Highness

Speaking from personal family experience, it's the hardest thing in the world to try and get an older relative in their 90s to stop driving when they are still mentally sharp, physically functional and independent. I had a 95-year-old aunt who had been an excellent driver all of her life, but her reaction time was necessarily slowed. Still, she insisted upon continuing to drive, when it was possible for other arrangements to be made. I always felt like the Lord was with her whenever she continued to get behind the wheel of a car.

My aunt was beginning to slow down physically but she was still sharp as a tack and likely wary of anybody trying to take her independence away from her. She eventually died of heart failure, and I'm so glad it didn't happen behind the wheel of a car. She was so fiercely independent and strong-minded that it was impossible to get her to do anything she didn't want to do, or to stop her doing something she wanted to do.

I'm so glad that Prince Philip is doing okay and I pray this serves as a wake-up call for him to at least cease driving himself, and point himself to enjoying the rest of his days in other favorite pastimes and endeavors.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:04 AM
Royal Highness

Oh Wyevale thats funny. Bet he has plenty of words to say now. But as a gentleman he would never swear in front of the Queen.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:12 AM
Majesty

Old age shouldn’t be a disqualification for driving. I know plenty of people in their 20s and 30s that shouldn’t be driving.

And according to ITV there’s been 40 accidents along this stretch of roadway so it seems it’s a dangerous spot regardless of age.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:20 AM
Majesty

I am stunned at all those who automatically blame Prince Philip because of his age. There seems a consensus in some quarters that the poor old dear isn't playing with a full deck these days.

I am glad nobody was seriously injured, not least Prince Philip as the airbags are not gentle when they are deployed and he may yet have two black eyes.

As to his driving, I think he drives only on the estates and this one is bisected by a public road in a well known black spot.

I'll wait for the local Constabulary to issue a statement and lay charges if required.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:36 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I am stunned at all those who automatically blame Prince Philip because of his age. There seems a consensus in some quarters that the poor old dear isn't playing with a full deck these days.
I could not agree more with you. Prince Philip is meant to have commented that he was dazzled by the low sun, which can affect us all, irrespective of age.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:04 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post

I am glad nobody was seriously injured, not least Prince Philip as the airbags are not gentle when they are deployed and he may yet have two black eyes.

As to his driving, I think he drives only on the estates and this one is bisected by a public road in a well known black spot.

I'll wait for the local Constabulary to issue a statement and lay charges if required.
Well, as for me personally, I didn't blame anyone for Prince Philip's accident. I only shared a personal story, and I said I hope the accident is a wake-up call regarding Philip driving himself. And that's solely due to the fact that it's been proven reaction time and reflexes are slowed as people age. I have personal experience of that. For eg, my aunt was beginning to get into accidents: backing into things (not people fortunately), hitting a parked car because she became disoriented in looking for something in a mall parking lot and took her eyes off where she was driving. Also going around bends in the road, she tended to drift slightly over the center line before correcting her trajectory. But as I say, nothing tragic or overly disastrous occurred by the grace of God.

Obviously, what happened to Prince Philip could have happened with anyone driving, and with him being a passenger. In fact, when I first learned of the accident, I assumed that Prince Philip was a passenger in a vehicle involved in an accident. Still, at age 97, I'd be surprised if Philip's reaction time behind the wheel is the same as when he was even 10 to 15 years younger.

Discussing one's reaction time when they are operating a vehicle, has absolutely nothing to do with an elderly person's mental capacity. I tried not to be in a car with my aunt, and when visiting I would beg her to let me drive. None of her friends would get in a vehicle with her anymore unless they were driving. But with me being used to acquiescing to my aunt's fiesty strong will, I couldn't avoid being with her in a car a few times when she was elderly. Whenever I tried to be helpful and cautioned her to slow down, etc., she'd take it the wrong way and respond sharply. I understood why and so I tried not to say anything and I prayed with my heart in my mouth.

In one's 90s, I don't care how sharp a person is, I don't think it's safe to continue driving. But it's a delicate issue because perhaps some elders are more capable of continuing to drive than others. I also have a 93-year-old uncle who lives alone and still drives himself. He tends to drive cautiously and capably so I was less nervous being in a car with him.

Again, my concern for Prince Philip continuing to drive himself does not mean I think he caused this accident. I certainly do not think he's feeble-minded in any way. I realize he's a feisty, independent-spirited individual who likely doesn't take kindly to being told what to do, much like my aunt. In one's 90s, no matter the fine state of one's health, anything can happen at any time, such as stroke or disorientation. A stroke happened to Princess Grace when she was behind the wheel of a car, and she was in her 60s.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:43 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

It looks bad, especially when something like this happened. I don't think we'll see Philip drive on a public road again, ever.
He is so lucky there was no serious injury and should not tempt fate.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:46 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
Ok. I wonder why UK people were calling it a Rangerover.
Probably because the BRF are known to drive them. Land Rover make the Range Rover & the Freelander & they look quite similar except the Freelander is smaller. My previous car was a Freelander - it's a very sturdy car, which he'll be glad of considering the whack it took.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:02 AM
Majesty

All A149 recommendations (planned before #DukeOfEdinburgh crash) approved by Norfolk county council's committee: speed limit cut from 60 to 50mph. Junction improvements & average speed cameras to be installed -

via @DebbieTubby