Prince Philip Admitted to Hospital 'As A Precaution': February 17, 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BBC and ITV both saying Clarence House has confirmed he has returned to Highgrove... a good sign maybe?

I am not going to try to "read between the lines" and come up with a whole lot of "what ifs" and "maybes" and "could bes" and just take what I've seen at face value. A son visiting his 99 year old father in the hospital who has already had Covid and has been vaccinated and probably as safe in Philip's room as his doctors and nurses are.

To be alone in a hospital bed knowing you're totally isolated away from family is a horrid feeling to have even if you're Philip and don't like being fussed over or having people see you when you're not at your best. I don't think Charles' visit indicates something other than what it is at face value and will hold that thought. ?

It wouldn't be a big deal in normal times, but, due to Covid restrictions, hospitals are not allowing any visitors unless in exceptional circumstances, and no-one is supposed to be leaving their local area- Charles travelled 100 miles from Highgrove to London - unless in exceptional circumstances, and the Royals have been careful not to break rules and look as if they're being treated differently from everyone else. That's what's worrying people. I take the point about them both having been vaccinated, but there aren't currently any exceptions to the rules for people who've been vaccinated.

I am not going to try to "read between the lines" and come up with a whole lot of "what ifs" and "maybes" and "could bes" and just take what I've seen at face value. A son visiting his 99 year old father in the hospital who has already had Covid and has been vaccinated and probably as safe in Philip's room as his doctors and nurses are.

To be alone in a hospital bed knowing you're totally isolated away from family is a horrid feeling to have even if you're Philip and don't like being fussed over or having people see you when you're not at your best. I don't think Charles' visit indicates something other than what it is at face value and will hold that thought. ?

I'd agree with you pre-covid, but even though they have been vaccinated, Charles can still carry covid, which is why hospitals everywhere are strict with their procedures and protocols. For Charles to visit means he was needed for something, not just visiting his elderly father.

If you look at the website of the King Edwards VII's Hospital, you can see their guidance on visiting, which is in line with most hospitals in the UK at the moment. I'm sure the Royal Family would want to be seen to be adhering to this guidance where possible.

Coronavirus update: visitors

To protect our patients we need to limit visitors to our hospital. We recommend virtual visits where possible. Visitors will only be considered in exceptional circumstances, where one visitor will be permitted to visit. No children will be permitted to visit. The health, safety and well-being of our patients, family, carers and staff remain our absolute priority.

Permission for visiting must be discussed directly with Matron’s Office, and would be allowed under the following circumstances:

One regular carer will be allowed for patients with additional needs e.g. dementia, learning disabilities. They will be swabbed to allow them to continue with caring commitments.
For patients receiving end of life care.

Yes, but the point is that this has been/is the case for families up and down the land yet they still cannot see their loved ones under penalty of severe sanctions. The royals can't be exempt from this nor do I think they would expect to be, that is why I think the situation with Philip is very serious.

But would a patient in a serious enough condition that there is a credible threat to their life not be considered a "patient receiving end of life care"? Or would death have to be certain and imminent for a patient to be permitted visitors according to the guidance?

In any case, I hope that the 30+ minute duration of the visit indicates the Duke was well enough for a hopefully good and comforting conversation with his son.

"Exceptional circumstances" would mean different things to different people - it's possible that Prince Philip was upset and they felt he needed some support, or that some tests had shown up a problem, or just that his age means he's classed as particularly vulnerable. But it seems unlikely that Charles would have visited, under these circumstances, if it really was just "rest and observation". But we don't know, so hopefully it'll be OK.

It wouldn't be a big deal in normal times, but, due to Covid restrictions, hospitals are not allowing any visitors unless in exceptional circumstances, and no-one is supposed to be leaving their local area- Charles travelled 100 miles from Highgrove to London - unless in exceptional circumstances, and the Royals have been careful not to break rules and look as if they're being treated differently from everyone else. That's what's worrying people. I take the point about them both having been vaccinated, but there aren't currently any exceptions to the rules for people who've been vaccinated.

This.

I don't think they'd do that long journey not to mention being accused of having the rules bent for them unless it was critical Charles was there for whatever reason. There will be calls for a full investigation and punishment if it was or is seen as just a "normal" visit even to a 99 year old not in a critical condition and I don't think they'd want that *on top of* everything else.

Whilst I do wish Prince Philip a full recovery and to celebrate his 100th birthday, I am worried because of that.

But would a patient in a serious enough condition that there is a credible threat to their life not be considered a "patient receiving end of life care"? Or would death have to be certain and imminent for a patient to be permitted visitors according to the guidance?

I suppose it depends on the doctors and what exactly the situation is. When it became clear my aunt wasn't going to recover her children were allowed up to say goodbye but until they reached that point it was just virtual visits. This was also a private hospital and she was extremely ill when she went in and there was always a high chance she wouldn't come out.

I don't like that, don't like that at all.
The man is a national treasure. Of course we are pretty aware that, at 99, it's somewhat a matter of time but c'mon, not now Phil !

To be fair travelling to see someone in hospital is permitted, and it is up to each hospital to decide on when visitors are allowed. There is not, as far as I am aware, a complete ban on visitors to hospitals it is up to each to decide on what is necessary and safe.
The King Edward VII is not any old hospital treating whoever walks through the door. It is used mainly for pre-arranged medical procedures and ongoing care. It is not treating Covid patients and all patients are tested upon arrival and kept 'isolated' until their test comes back negative.

My point is this is not your average NHS hospital, it will of course do what it needs to to ensure the safety of patients and staff and will follow national guidelines but where those guidelines give it the ability to make decisions for itself it can do so. Also bear in mind, without speaking to patients and families of those also being treated we don't know that the hospital are not letting other visitors where there is a low risk i.e. where the visitor has returned negative test, had a dose of the vaccine and even had Covid themselves so less likely to be a risk.

We can't assume just because Charles has visited it means bad news.

To be fair travelling to see someone in hospital is permitted, and it is up to each hospital to decide on when visitors are allowed. There is not, as far as I am aware, a complete ban on visitors to hospitals it is up to each to decide on what is necessary and safe.
The King Edward VII is not any old hospital treating whoever walks through the door. It is used mainly for pre-arranged medical procedures and ongoing care. It is not treating Covid patients and all patients are tested upon arrival and kept 'isolated' until their test comes back negative.

My point is this is not your average NHS hospital, it will of course do what it needs to to ensure the safety of patients and staff and will follow national guidelines but where those guidelines give it the ability to make decisions for itself it can do so. Also bear in mind, without speaking to patients and families of those also being treated we don't know that the hospital are not letting other visitors where there is a low risk i.e. where the visitor has returned negative test, had a dose of the vaccine and even had Covid themselves so less likely to be a risk.

We can't assume just because Charles has visited it means bad news.

An earlier post had a link to the hospital website where it stated that visitors were only allowed in exceptional circumstances such as end of life care.

They are the royal family and rules are never the same, but so took it for granted he would make it to 100 BUT what a life. Physically able and having all his faculties at 99. Joyous to see all six of his grown grandchildren married. To have seen the first great grandchild with his name. His has had blessings in his life but I dearly hope he does make it to a 100. And so hate to see anyone go in the time of COVID

Like others I believe that Prince Philip may have taken a turn for the worse in the last day or so, necessitating Charles's visit.

However, there is always hope. Years ago, before Covid naturally, my mother in law was very ill in her aged facility. She was in her nineties. Three times members of the family including us went to the facility to say goodbye and three times she rallied. She died more than a year later.

If Prince Philip is taken home with no photos, or family members gather at the hospital will be the time to believe that he won't recover. Until then everyone should just wait.

Last edited:
They are the royal family and rules are never the same, but so took it for granted he would make it to 100 BUT what a life. Physically able and having all his faculties at 99. Joyous to see all six of his grown grandchildren married. To have seen the first great grandchild with his name. His has had blessings in his life but I dearly hope he does make it to a 100. And so hate to see anyone go in the time of COVID

I like your attitude poppy7!:flowers:
While I wish the DoE a speedy and full recovery, it's good to reflect on the positive too. The refugee child who left his homeland in an orange crate on a British warship has had the most incredible life.

Very glad that Charles was able to visit with his Papa today.

Like others I believe that Prince Philip may have taken a turn for the worse in the last day or so, necessitating Charles's visit.

However, there is always hope. Years ago, before Covid naturally, my mother in law was very ill in her aged facility. She was in her nineties. Three times members of the family including us went to the facility to say goodbye and three times she rallied. She died a bit more than a year later.

If Prince Philip is taken home or other family members gather at the hospital will be the time to believe that he won't recover. Until then everyone should just wait.

If the DoE was " in extremis" I have to believe his wife would be at his side.....:ermm:

Wonder if it were possible to get the Queen in there w/o anyone knowing.

LaRae

It would be difficult. I think there are photographers and journalists at the hospital.
It would be easier to take the Duke of Edinburgh back to Windsor so that the Queen could be with him in privacy.
The logistics that would have to take for the Queen to go to the hospital to be with her husband, I think it would be complicated.
Security guards would have to go, and I believe, some assistants with her. I think it would be complicated.

Last edited:
Yes if the queen had gone to visit I am certain we would have heard by now.

It is concerning for certain that Charles is visiting his father. It gives a sense its more serious then previous visits have been.

But I am still not worried he is knocking on death's door. If we get the queen and other members of the family visiting then I will get more worried. I still think if he is on his last days, they will move him home so he can die in comfort there and not in a hospital bed.

For now I think Charles was just worried and went to lift his father's spirits.

Or so I hope. I do hope he lives to be 100 and to see his two more great-grandkids yet to make their entrance, and little August as well.

There are some really horrible people around. The late Captain Sir Tom Moore's family have had a lot of nasty comments on Twitter, and some awful things were said when Boris Johnson was in intensive care last year. People like that are best ignored!

But Prince Charles would have known very well that there'd be comments if he a) travelled from Highgrove to London and b) visited the hospital, so he obviously felt that it was extremely important for him to go. Just hoping that there's better news soon.

I know! I couldn’t believe it when I read that people had said such nasty, disgusting things about Captain Sir Tom...I think people get brave behind their computers and they just say the worst things.

I don’t think Charles is worried that people will think badly of him. For one thing, his father is more important than anyone else, and also, they don’t like him anyway. I suppose I’m probably in denial, but the few statements made have not been discouraging; I just don’t want to cross that bridge until it’s necessary

At nearly 100 years of age, it's to be expected that the body will fail sooner rather than later. Even longevity genes do not make one immortal. I'm still hoping we're reading too much into this but the reality is there. The blessing may be that *if* this is to be Philip's end of life, he's had the blessing of not suffering long term or mentally diminished. He walked into that hospital under his own steam. His end of life preferences have probably been established a long time ago and he's more than aware of his own mortality and has reached the stage of acceptance.

We'll just have to watch and see what develops and I'm planning on remaining positive we'll see the DoE in full swing on his 100th birthday in June.

It would be difficult. I think there are photographers and journalists at the hospital.
It would be easier to take the Duke of Edinburgh back to Windsor so that the Queen could be with him in privacy.
The logistics that would have to take for the Queen to go to the hospital to be with her husband, I think it would be complicated.
Security guards would have to go, and I believe, some assistants with her. I think it would be complicated.

Waht i wonder is there no Parking House or underground parking loft with direct acess to the Hospital which would allow visitors to go in unnoticed from the press. To bring Philip back to Windsor he would need to be in a state so the can trasnport him.

Waht i wonder is there no Parking House or underground parking loft with direct acess to the Hospital which would allow visitors to go in unnoticed from the press. To bring Philip back to Windsor he would need to be in a state so the can trasnport him.

I wonder if there is a media black out. I do wonder if the media reported POW arriving and then realised what that might mean and went whoops. The royal reporters have been very quiet on the subject on twitter. Some have posted links to pieces on Megixt but the majority are silent.

The hospital has a main, front entrance, and a second entrance in a mews at the back. The mews entrance is the one Charles used yesterday, and that is quite visible from the street. As far as I know, there are no underground entrances.

Yes, Sky and the BBC has their royal correspondence on standby and experts have been called up. But they also don’t know what it is? I must add that the Rota had been informed of coming news for the last week, they keep getting news so it could be for those unrelated things.

I wonder if there is a media black out. I do wonder if the media reported POW arriving and then realised what that might mean and went whoops. The royal reporters have been very quiet on the subject on twitter. Some have posted links to pieces on Megixt but the majority are silent.

I would imagine that there's nothing to report after Charles left. It's a hospital and the patients rest there. No roller blading in the hallways, no playing darts with syringes while binging on cough syrup and no pinching the nurses allowed. Well.. maybe Philip would get away with a slight pinch or three. :D

If there was something to be reported, I'm sure there would be breaking news from those covering the hospital.

Well I'll admit I haven't read through the whole thread - but why was Phillip admitted to the hospital? Do we know?

Well I'll admit I haven't read through the whole thread - but why was Phillip admitted to the hospital? Do we know?
No but he's been unwell for several days before he went in. And at his age, any illness is very seirous...

A 99 year old can die any second of anything. I think if he's only feeling unwell, he'll be admitted, while normal people go to bed and sleep it off or take a tablet hoping they feel better in the morning. I think they take zero risk with him. But of course at some point life will end because it has run its course.
Philip is one very, very few people who are still alive at this age and able to walk by himself with a clear mind. When he passes, there should be no mourning but only joy that he has been there for so long, without any of the usual malfunctions that usually come with this kind of age.

I'm so sorry for the Queen. I know she's hardly the only person in this position, and she's got all the "HMS Bubble" staff with her so she's not alone, but she's still an elderly lady whose husband of over 70 years is in hospital, and who, because of this horrible virus, can't have her family and friends with her for comfort and moral support. And all the upset over Meghan and Harry as well, and she can't even visit her new great-grandchild. These are horrible times for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom