Philip - I Don't Want A State Funeral

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We will have to wait and see of course. However, I doubt very much that, if he has been emphatic for years about not wanting fuss, not wanting a ceremonial or State funeral, that the Queen or Charles (who would be supporting his mother) would put Prince Philip's wishes entirely aside for the sake of those of the public who wish to mourn his passing.

They might, just might, opt for a lying in State at Westminster (unusual but not impossible) to allow people to pay their respects and then have a semi private ceremony at St George's, Windsor, with a couple of BBC cameras and commentator, and one or two press photographers allowed outside.

Philip may well be an admirer of the more simple way of doing things taken by some of his relatives for their funerals and internments.

Philip may well be an admirer of the more simple way of doing things taken by some of his relatives for their funerals and internments.

Philip has always come across to ma as a pragmatist and a man that has his feet firmly planted on the ground without his head in the clouds. He sees the reality of something and accepts it and gets on with it. I believe this is behind his wishes for something simple when the time comes and I'm pretty much the same way.

Of course, there has to be some leeway here and take into consideration the family he leaves behind and the nation he's served so well for most of his life and I think they'll weigh all the options and come up with something that would please Philip and also give those left behind a chance to mourn his passing.

Most likely, what is going to happen is already planned (with Philip at the helm of approving everything) and ready for execution when the times comes. That's another character trait of Philip's. Planning ahead and not leaving things to chance but prepared for all contingencies. :D

The funeral is certainly already planned. The Duke of Norfolk has the plans, just as he has the Queen's and Charles' funeral plans and Charles' coronation plans. He may even have William's already started.

That is part of his duty as Earl Marshal and he reviews the plans regularly - such as whenever there is a change of government in the realms to ensure that the right names of who has to be notified and invited is already in place.

I would think since Diana they are ALL planned to a degree in that there is a set format for each tier of royal. You never know what will happen but you can have the skeleton of the service ironclad.

I would think since Diana they are ALL planned to a degree in that there is a set format for each tier of royal. You never know what will happen but you can have the skeleton of the service ironclad.

They've had plans mapped out for state and ceremonial funerals even before Diana's untimely passing. Diana's funeral used the plans drawn up with modifications using the Queen Mother's planned funeral. It was called Operation Tay Bridge. The Queen's is called Operation London Bridge and I'm sure there are more.

They plan these things well in advance. The Queen, Duke of Edinburgh, Charles and Camilla funerals are already being planned. There must also be something already thought for other members of the royal family. The next coronation must be underway, either Charles or William, because you never know what might happen ...
In the British monarchy nothing is left to chance.

We will have to wait and see of course. However, I doubt very much that, if he has been emphatic for years about not wanting fuss, not wanting a ceremonial or State funeral, that the Queen or Charles (who would be supporting his mother) would put Prince Philip's wishes entirely aside for the sake of those of the public who wish to mourn his passing.

They might, just might, opt for a lying in State at Westminster (unusual but not impossible) to allow people to pay their respects and then have a semi private ceremony at St George's, Windsor, with a couple of BBC cameras and commentator, and one or two press photographers allowed outside.

I can imagine the Duke going the Edward VIII way. A solemn and befitting funeral but with limited ceremony. No any doubt it will be organized up to the nines and to all the Duke's wishes.

The late Prince Henrik of Denmark did not want a grand public funeral and no interment in the tomb reserved for him and his spouse. His wishes were honoured.

The late Queen Juliana of the Netherlands wished no "undertaker costumes" on her funeral (she hated jacquet / morning suit). Her wishes were honoured: however a funeral of a once reigning Queen, the dresscode and proceedings during the funeral were more relaxed than that of her son-in-law Prince Claus (full civil dresscode and ceremonial) or her husband Prince Bernhard (full military dresscode and ceremonial).

The late Princess Margaret wished to be cremated and interred with her beloved father. Her wishes were honoured.

These examples learn me that personal wishes are not easily shoven away, so the Duke will have what he wants.

Last edited:
Charles' coronation is certainly being planned. The first meeting about it was held in June 1953 (my great uncle was at the meeting). The Queen was also present and simply went through what she thought went really well and what could be improved from her own coronation.

There are regularly reports in the media about the plans and the Diana fanatics go ballistic calling Charles a traitor for 'planning for his mother's death' because they don't understand that it is part of the Duke of Norfolk's job description.

These days the plans are all on computer - for funerals and the next coronation (and possibly even William's). Regular checks that what he currently has is correct to that date will make things easier when the time comes for the plans to be put into place.

They also do regular rehearsals (although hopefully these days they do make sure that the BBC reporters are aware they are having a drill and don't do what they did in the early 1990s when they announced the Queen Mum's death on air rather than realising it was a drill).

They won't leave anything to chance.

Prince Philip's funeral has (like The Queen's) been planned since the 1960:s and changed from time to time and codenamed as "Operation Forthbridge".

I have read all the newspaper articles that Prince Philip would not want any fuss and that the staff at Westminster Hall is said to have been notified that Prince Philip will not have a public lying in state.

To me he does not come acoss as someone who would give a lot of thought to this subject at all.

If he indeed has requested a Private (not televised) family funeral at St George's Chapel without a public lying in state, i'm sure it will be respected. Likely followed by a public Memorial Service at Westminster Abbey or St Paul's Cathedral with Prince Philip's patronages invited.

I don't think we should compare too much to Prince Henrik of Denmark who changed is funeral plans dramatically late in life for now well known reasons.
I don't know if The Queen and Prince Philip have planned to be buried together or not but i am sure that they both know very well by now at 93 and 98 what will happen and are happy and at peace with the plans.

Last edited:
Charles' coronation is certainly being planned. The first meeting about it was held in June 1953 (my great uncle was at the meeting). The Queen was also present and simply went through what she thought went really well and what could be improved from her own coronation.

There are regularly reports in the media about the plans and the Diana fanatics go ballistic calling Charles a traitor for 'planning for his mother's death' because they don't understand that it is part of the Duke of Norfolk's job description.

These days the plans are all on computer - for funerals and the next coronation (and possibly even William's). Regular checks that what he currently has is correct to that date will make things easier when the time comes for the plans to be put into place.

They also do regular rehearsals (although hopefully these days they do make sure that the BBC reporters are aware they are having a drill and don't do what they did in the early 1990s when they announced the Queen Mum's death on air rather than realising it was a drill).

They won't leave anything to chance.

I am sure both the queen and Charles know very well that Britain knows no "Interregnum", meaning the moment the souverain dies, his or her heir becomes the next souverain. And view the planned ceremonies thus as something to give to the people.They both know what their current or future position deserves and even if they personally don't want it, it's part of the job. And thus they plan and rehearse. It may be even not as personal as our death is for us, because we can choose but they cannot.

Back
Top Bottom