It's A Boy for Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank: February 9, 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Congratulations to Princess Eugenie, Jack, and their families! Happy News!

Congratulations to Eugenie and Jack! Can't wait to find out the name.

Such exciting news to come home yo after a double shift.

Congratulations to the proud new parents and the entire family. :flowers:

I love the photo. They share a little something but still keep their son private.

Two grandsons for the Yorks with Wolfie, and fir the Brooksbanks now too.

Even if she hates a name what can she do? It’s 2021 not 1221. I believe it’s more a traditional sign of respect and a formality.

Has happened in the 20th century. Margaret was going to be Ann until her grandfather stepped in. Beatrice there is rumors her parents wanted to call her Annabelle but the queen stepped in as it was after a club they went to (even though there is royal history).

But I don't think thus far from the throne the queen would interfere.

Oliver Dowden, Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport has tweeted congratulating Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank on the birth of their son.
Oliver Dowden @OliverDowden
Warmest congratulations to HRH Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank on the birth of their baby boy
6:50 AM · Feb 10, 2021·Twitter for iPhone​

I don't think the Queen has to "approve" the name - it's just courtesy to mention it to her. If she said she really didn't like their choice, maybe they'd think twice: there's always been a story that she suggested Beatrice and Eugenie because she didn't like Sarah and Andrew's choices, but no-one really knows. Zara was quite an outlandish choice for the royal family, in 1981, and Savannah's unusual even now.

Unless they chose something like Apple or North West or Fifi Trixabelle, I doubt she'd say anything, and, even if she did, they could go for it anyway.

I can't see Eugenie and Jack choosing anything outlandish :) .

I can't see Eugenie and Jack picking anything really outlandish for the royal family like Hunter or Kai. The "most" they would do is chose something currently popular with the upper class that's a little old fashioned and not really "royal" like the baby's little cousin Wilfred or Tobias or more off beat but still an older name like Jasper or Findley. (I'm seriously terrible at examples but you get my drift).

If the story about the Queen disapproving of Anabel and suggesting Beatrice has any truth to it it might have gone something like this "Anabel hmm, I read so many announcements of little Anabels because of that night club. Do you want your daughter to have the same name as 10 other girls at school? Or have articles about being named after a club the rest of her life? What about a beautiful, old royal name like Beatrice?" rather than "her name is Beatrice, no take backs!"

We have never heard of her objecting to Savannah, Isla, Archie, Mia or Lena, (which are all perfectly fine names) who are in the same position, let alone some of the interesting choices further out.

Awww my guess is right! A boy! Congrats to Princess Eugenie and Mr.Brooksbank!

I don't think the Queen has to "approve" the name - it's just courtesy to mention it to her. If she said she really didn't like their choice, maybe they'd think twice: there's always been a story that she suggested Beatrice and Eugenie because she didn't like Sarah and Andrew's choices, but no-one really knows. Zara was quite an outlandish choice for the royal family, in 1981, and Savannah's unusual even now.

Unless they chose something like Apple or North West or Fifi Trixabelle, I doubt she'd say anything, and, even if she did, they could go for it anyway.

I can't see Eugenie and Jack choosing anything outlandish :) .

There have been several unconventional names chosen for the Queen's great-grandchildren: Savannah, Isla, Archie Harrison, and to a lesser extent, Mia and Lena. By unconventional, I mean names that are not normally associated with the Royal Family or the dynasty.

That leads me to believe that Eugenie and Jack will have the freedom to pick whatever name they want for their son (maybe William was the only one among the Queen's grandchildren who faced greater constraints in choosing his children's names). Having said that, the York family strikes me as being traditionalist, so I think Eugenie and Jack will stick to a name with past royal connections.

Last edited:
All the children with un “Royal” names aren’t so far down the line there will never be a Queen Savannah so it really does not matter.If William had lost mind and really was determined to Name his daughter Brittany or Tiffany For example there would have real grumbling And arguing.

I think the Queen will be informed (and maybe, give some comments?) the possible name that the newly parent had chosen, rather than approve it. She knows the possible name, and expresses her feeling, the parents may or may not follow her suggestion. (But who won't listen to their respectable grandma and insist on the name she really hate?)

I always think the traditional name choices might be, more on the parents' part. While you come from a huge family with rich history, you would prefer a name which more fit into the family (something traditional and common in the family), out of personal sense of responsibility and identity (like you have to pass on the family tradition). (Anyway the above said from a person with a completely different naming culture and norm:lol:)

Such lovely news as I go to work at 0200 ..... good for them and good luck to that little family

All the children with un “Royal” names aren’t so far down the line there will never be a Queen Savannah so it really does not matter.If William had lost mind and really was determined to Name his daughter Brittany or Tiffany For example there would have real grumbling And arguing.

agree.. I think that W and Kate went a little unconventional with Louis but they were still within the parameters of royal names.

If Will had wanted to call George something very unusual, i think the queen would have talked him out of it...

I wonder when they'll announce the name. Since it's a boy my guess of Victoria is out. How long did it take for other members of the royal family announce their name?

I wonder when they'll announce the name. Since it's a boy my guess of Victoria is out. How long did it take for other members of the royal family announce their name?

It varies.. I think that Charlotte's name was annouced a day after her birth

Could be any time. For Comparison Mia Tindall was born on 17th and her name announced by her Dad 23rd. Her sister was born on 18, birth announced by BP 19th and name announced 27th June.

Isla's birth and name were announced the same time, the day after her birth.

Louise was born on the 8th November and announced 27th likely due to the her and her mother's health.
James was born on 17th December and his name announced 21st.
Louis was 4 days later.
Charlotte's was the next day.
George was 2 days later.
Archie was two days later.

Since they have already put that little photo up on Instagram I suspect they will let us know within the next few days and not wait weeks unless the can't settle on anything as apparently happened with James.

If the child had been born last Saturday, he would celebrate his birthday on the date George VI passed away. I'm glad the kid has his own birthday solely to himself. ?

I loved the picture on the Instagram account. Little fingers surrounded by Mom and Dad's. Says "family" to me.

Hence why I said it "would have been wild" - but I think a good wild. I can imagine the 6th is a far more painful day for the Queen than the 9th (no offense Margaret) the birth of a g-grandchild on the same day, so close to the eve of her life, would be a sweet way to remember her father after a lifetime of pain associated with this date.
But that's just me.
Either way it is a joyous occasion.

I just find the "baby body part shown in B&W with parents hands" very basic (in a bad way), overused and not artistic at all. It's more fitting for your own personal album.
But that's just me.

Last edited:
Yes, I agree, show a picture or dont.. but not some arty partial photo....

I thought the picture was sweet. They showed what they wanted to show. No one is entitled to anything. Happy news for the family. Looking forward to the name.

Great news! Congratulations!?:flowers: Can't wait to know the name!

I agree completely. This is what is for right now more to come. Dad's hand,Mom's hand and baby's hand. Well done.
I thought the picture was sweet. They showed what they wanted to show. No one is entitled to anything. Happy news for the family. Looking forward to the name.

Varied from the day of birth (Mia Grace - via Mike's tweet announcing her birth) to about a month with Charles - announced in mid-December after a mid-November birth.

Savannah's was leaked by the minister at Sandringham a few days after she was born at the Sunday church service.

I don't know when Isla's was announced but probably a few days.

I suspect that Eugenie will announce the name on her Instagram account in a couple of days ... or Sarah will announce via her social media account.

Such wonderful news and so refreshing to have something happy occur in these troubled times.

I'm sure Fergie is just over the moon. She will be a joyful granny.

Granny Sara and Grandpa Andrew must be over the moon. I feel sorry for the little one, he will be so SPOILED, he deserve it. Hope the Queen and Prince Phillip will get the chance and see him soon. Maybe now in the near future we hear baby news from Beatrice and Edo?. Hope we will get to see him soon and get the name of the little sweetie.

Im not sure the queen and Philp wil be able to see him unless they keep a distance..

She was still in the hospital?! That seems rather long. Wouldn't mother and child normally be discharged earlier than after 4 days?

We don't know what the situation was for the birth, I hope we get a name soon!

It would normally be overnight or even later that day since the birth happened early in the morning. If she had a Caesarean it would not be uncommon to keep her in a couple of days at least.

Also if there's something they want to keep an eye on they keep them in a bit longer. Four days does seem quite a lot but The Portland is the 5 star equivalent of hospitals. Hopefully both are fine. She looks healthy and was waving so assume everything's ok.

This might mean we have to wait a little longer for the name if they've had other things on their minds.

Back
Top Bottom