Vice-Admiral Tim Laurence News and Information: October 2005-

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sir Timothy Laurence attended a wreath laying ceremony as Australian and New Zealand servicemen who had fought and died in the two world wars were commemorated in London yesterday, April 25:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Ah I was right. I didn't notice him, but thought he was likely there some where. He served on the war graves commission with the Duke of Kent. He usually is in attendance at these type of events.

Hello all. Does anyone know if he has a title at all. We know he is vice admiral but is he HRH Timothy, The Prince Royal to his wife. HRH Princess Anne, The Princess Royal?

No he does not have a royal title.

Hello all. Does anyone know if he has a title at all. We know he is vice admiral but is he HRH Timothy, The Prince Royal to his wife. HRH Princess Anne, The Princess Royal?

No title.

In the UK men do not take styles and titles from their wives - only the other way round.

Anne, in addition to be HRH The Princess Anne, The Princess Royal is also Mrs Timothy Laurence although she doesn't use that anymore than she used Mrs Mark Philips when married to Mark.

The Queen did, reportedly offer Mark a title at the time of the marriage that both he and Anne refused. As far as I am aware the Queen has never considered making an offer of a title to Tim.

Princess Margaret wanted her children to be titled and so insisted on her husband having a title while both Anne and Alexandra were happy for their children to be untitled.

Beatrice and Eugenie, unless they marry a man with a title, will also have untitled husbands and children, as will Louise's in time although she is a Lady as the daughter of an Earl (and will remain as such when the time comes and Edward is created Duke of Edinburgh on the passing of both his parents).

No title.

In the UK men do not take styles and titles from their wives - only the other way round.

Anne, in addition to be HRH The Princess Anne, The Princess Royal is also Mrs Timothy Laurence although she doesn't use that anymore than she used Mrs Mark Philips when married to Mark.

Anna is NOT Mrs Timothy Laurence. She is Lady Laurence.
And Timothy Laurence has a title. He is a a knight (an honorary title).

Obviously, knights are not peers, but it's a title.

Anna is NOT Mrs Timothy Laurence. She is Lady Laurence.
And Timothy Laurence has a title. He is a a knight (an honorary title).

Obviously, knights are not peers, but it's a title.

Mia Culpa - I forgot that Tim had been knighted.

Tim Laurence is only 4-5 years younger than Anne.

On June 1 Tim Laurence attended the memorial service for Air Chief Marshal Sir Peter Squire in London:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** gallery **

Sir Tim Laurence as Vice Chairman of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission met with High Commissioner Ruchi Ghanashyam at India House in London yesterday, February 7, to talk about the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC) and his upcoming CWGC visit to India.

** Pic **

Sir Timothy Laurence has visited New Zealand in his role as Vice Chairman of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

During his stay he laid a wreath at the Pukeahu National War Memorial and a tribute on the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior in Wellington, he attended a dinner at the Government House and representing Queen Elizabeth in country he signed the Book of Condolence at the New Zealand Parliament.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

:previous: Sir Timothy Laurence represents his mother-in-law very well. Princess Anne certainly can be quite proud of her husband.

Sir Timothy Laurence has visited New Zealand in his role as Vice Chairman of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

During his stay he laid a wreath at the Pukeahu National War Memorial and a tribute on the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior in Wellington, he attended a dinner at the Government House and representing Queen Elizabeth in country he signed the Book of Condolence at the New Zealand Parliament.

Tim is certainly an under rated member of the royal family :flowers:

He gets over looked so much as he has no title and he isn't a 'working royal' but like the York girls, he certainly works for the royals. And he does a great job of representing his wife and mother in law.

Great seeing him in NZ especially after the recent attacks. It was nice to see the Sussexes and Anne visit NZ house in London, but this is one step further.

Tim is certainly an under rated member of the royal family :flowers:

He gets over looked so much as he has no title and he isn't a 'working royal' but like the York girls, he certainly works for the royals. And he does a great job of representing his wife and mother in law.

Great seeing him in NZ especially after the recent attacks. It was nice to see the Sussexes and Anne visit NZ house in London, but this is one step further.

As far as I understand the workings of the family, he is not really considered a part of the royal family as he is just the husband of a princess not a royal highness himself.

As far as I understand the workings of the family, he is not really considered a part of the royal family as he is just the husband of a princess not a royal highness himself.

He is not a working member of the royal family. But as the son in law of the queen he is certainly a member of the family. One doesn't have to be a HRH to be a member of the family.

And it is clear, even if the media ignores it, the queen does ask him to represent her on numerous occasions.

There are those who are 'members of the firm' and are official working royals. And then there are those like the Yorks and Tim who are considered 'private citizens' and members of the royal family by marriage/blood. But just as the York girls do, Tim does have a roll within the family, a very small roll.

Times have changed since Mark or Anthony. It gives some credence to when Charlotte marries one day, her husband may have some minor roll as well.

Last edited:

Yesterday, June 25, Tim Laurence as Vice Chairman of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission opened a new works building that has been constructed at the CWGC office in Beaurains, France.

I will miss spotting him in all sorts of places around Europe and the Pacific. He is a wonderful speaker, clear, concise, but eloquent.

I will miss his down to earth but not "common" approach to his position with the War Graves Commission. He will be remembered for his "modern and forward thinking" which helped to raise the profile of the jobs and its continuing mission. Lest we forget.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-remain-Navy-says-Princess-Annes-husband.html

A rare interview from Tim in his role as Chairman of English Heritage

He is the chief custodian of more than 400 hallowed national sites — ranging from Stonehenge and the Battlefield of Hastings to Shropshire's Iron Bridge and Osborne House — not to mention all those blue plaques on the homes of bygone greats.

On his watch, the whole lot has been turned into a new charity. And it has never attempted anything quite like the new bridge to 'King Arthur's Castle'.

For example, he is adamant that the Government should slash VAT on conservation work.

'I would love to see VAT reduced on historic buildings. We've been fighting that battle for a long time.

'It would make a huge difference to the historic fabric of this country and it would provide a lot of extra jobs.'

He rattles off tourism statistics — £30 billion gross added value to the economy — and wishes ministers would listen. 'I'm pleading on behalf of the historic environment.

'I don't think the Government is "anti" but I think it could be more "pro". This is not a loss to the Treasury. There are benefits to the Treasury.'

'Everybody who marries a member of the Royal Family has to craft their own way of doing things,' says Sir Tim.

'There's no book of how to behave when you marry the Royal Family.' The experience has left him with a deep admiration for two royal consorts.

So is Albert his inspiration? He smiles and points to a more recent role model. 'I think I've gained more from the Duke of Edinburgh obviously because I know him very well.

He is somebody who has supported the Monarch, but also done a huge amount in his own right.

Think of the Duke of Edinburgh's Award Scheme and the number of young people who have been through that.'

Terrific article. I have always admired him as a very practical military man. He was a breath of fresh air with his work on Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

It is not surprising that he admires the Duke of Edinburgh, the both seen to have the same "cut to the chase" approach to life, not to wait around and do things "the way they have always been done". Besides, Anne would never have married a spineless non-entity.

I really enjoyed that article too. I had seen a programme about the bridge at Tintagel but didn’t realise he was involved. Very down to earth and likeable.

That was a great article. What a gentleman Sir Tim is.

He has never sought the limelight for himself, just stayed quietly in the background, not a plus one to his wife. He has continued with his own work, only going public for his cause not himself.

I've always liked Sir Tim, too. He seems very down-to-earth and ordinary - someone I could easily strike a conversation with in a cafe.

My brother in law met him through Princess Anne's work with the RYA and a close friend met him through the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. Both said he was friendly, knowledgeable and professional.

I do think it's hard for someone where a role would be automatically defined if genders were reversed. A man becoming a full time royal to support and expand the work of his spouse and his own charitable interests is only permissible if she's the monarch or Crown Princess. He seems to have taken up causes which are close to his heart and interests and become an good advocate for them.

I do wonder, should the Monarchy survive that long, if Princess Charlotte's (entirely hypothetical) husband should be a full time royal considering her first cousin(s) on her father's side probably won't be.

When did Sir Timothy become Chairman of English Heritage?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-remain-Navy-says-Princess-Annes-husband.html

A rare interview from Tim in his role as Chairman of English Heritage

He is the chief custodian of more than 400 hallowed national sites — ranging from Stonehenge and the Battlefield of Hastings to Shropshire's Iron Bridge and Osborne House — not to mention all those blue plaques on the homes of bygone greats.

On his watch, the whole lot has been turned into a new charity. And it has never attempted anything quite like the new bridge to 'King Arthur's Castle'.

For example, he is adamant that the Government should slash VAT on conservation work.

'I would love to see VAT reduced on historic buildings. We've been fighting that battle for a long time.

'It would make a huge difference to the historic fabric of this country and it would provide a lot of extra jobs.'

He rattles off tourism statistics — £30 billion gross added value to the economy — and wishes ministers would listen. 'I'm pleading on behalf of the historic environment.

'I don't think the Government is "anti" but I think it could be more "pro". This is not a loss to the Treasury. There are benefits to the Treasury.'

'Everybody who marries a member of the Royal Family has to craft their own way of doing things,' says Sir Tim.

'There's no book of how to behave when you marry the Royal Family.' The experience has left him with a deep admiration for two royal consorts.

So is Albert his inspiration? He smiles and points to a more recent role model. 'I think I've gained more from the Duke of Edinburgh obviously because I know him very well.

He is somebody who has supported the Monarch, but also done a huge amount in his own right.

Think of the Duke of Edinburgh's Award Scheme and the number of young people who have been through that.'
A great interview! He seems to be a nice man.

Back
Top Bottom