The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-11-2020, 10:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post

It's very awkward when couples split up and you try to stay friends with both partners, especially if one of them is your relation. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't!

And usually it doesn't, imo.

Old 02-11-2020, 11:18 AM
Imperial Majesty

Sad news. I miss Autumn to see her at the Royal Gatherings.

Old 02-11-2020, 11:39 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
It is interesting that the announcement was released in the name of the couple rather than Buckingham Palace, and that it refers to the couple on a first-name basis, just as with the announcements about the Sussexes in January.
I expect that's because they aren't working members so they don't communicate via BP's press office.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:13 PM
Serene Highness

Very sad for all involved. But lets the honest the royal family belong to a class of people with a high divorce rate, numerous marriages and blended families. It is a miracle any marriage works for them. 12 years is a good amount of time and if you took a French view of these things it would be to live for relationships being right in the moment and that you don't think of the future.

I hope Autumn has made friends here and can settle because I can't see it working for her wanting to take the girls to Canada. What I can see happening is the girls going boarding at 13 and her returning to Canada then. The reality is England is their home and moving them to another country at the moment would be the worst think but I can see her wanting to go home. But it's complicated when you move for someone. You kind of get stuck. She will probably meet someone else and stay anyway. Usually what happens.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

She has lived in the UK for over a decade. A large chunk of her adult life. She doesn’t seem like a cold mean person who no one would want around. Pretty confident she had friends, activities and a life beyond her kids in the UK.

For all her being Canadian after what 15 years abroad between the UK and Asia settling back in Canada wouldn’t be easy. Not returning to her job or to old friends. Life moved on in Canada too. She is not a recent transplant she has been an expat most of her adult life.

It truly is sad news but hopefully the announcement is true and divorcing as friends. Makes for coparenting much easier. We see the York girls how better adjusted they were in ways as their parents divorce was amicable.

As for Beatrice wedding it stands to be seen. Divorced members are not automatically off the list. It seems to depend on the relationship you had with the divorced member. Almost twelve years in the family officially she should have a relationship with the cousins.

William didn’t invite the exes. But Harry had two of his three former aunts at his wedding. Fergie and Victoria were both present (only 2nd countess Spencer was not).
Old 02-11-2020, 12:42 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
She has lived in the UK for over a decade. A large chunk of her adult life. She doesn’t seem like a cold mean person who no one would want around. Pretty confident she had friends, activities and a life beyond her kids in the UK.

For all her being Canadian after what 15 years abroad between the UK and Asia settling back in Canada wouldn’t be easy. Not returning to her job or to old friends. Life moved on in Canada too. She is not a recent transplant she has been an expat most of her adult life.

It truly is sad news but hopefully the announcement is true and divorcing as friends. Makes for coparenting much easier. We see the York girls how better adjusted they were in ways as their parents divorce was amicable.

As for Beatrice wedding it stands to be seen. Divorced members are not automatically off the list. It seems to depend on the relationship you had with the divorced member. Almost twelve years in the family officially she should have a relationship with the cousins.

William didn’t invite the exes. But Harry had two of his three former aunts at his wedding. Fergie and Victoria were both present (only 2nd countess Spencer was not).
I don't think he knew the second Countess and also her children weren't there.

Quote:

She has but where your family is calls out to people.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
She has but where your family is calls out to people.
She has lived in a different country then her family for fifteen years. There are expats all over the world in different countries then family.

Basically Canada has one thing going and that’s her family. UK has her kids, her friends, her life she has built for over a decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
I don't think he knew the second Countess and also her children weren't there.
I doubt he never met Caroline. Unlike his brother he has remained close to the Spencer’s over the years. It seems more that unlike Victoria who was his aunt in his childhood and he had a link to, Caroline was a short lived marriage in Harry’s adult years so not the same bond. Lara and Edmund are only teens, 15 and 13 at the time of the wedding. Not surprising they were not on the list.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Sad news for all involved they always looked like such a happy united couple.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:54 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
She has lived in a different country then her family for fifteen years. There are expats all over the world in different countries then family.

Basically Canada has one thing going and that’s her family. UK has her kids, her friends, her life she has built for over a decade.
I sure hope so because she couldn't really go back at the moment anyway. Hope she does have an independent support network because apart from the shock the beginning of a separation is often the easiest as very little changes but as people move on and meet new people it becomes more difficult and your soon just not part of your old world.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:57 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I doubt he never met Caroline. Unlike his brother he has remained close to the Spencer’s over the years. It seems more that unlike Victoria who was his aunt in his childhood and he had a link to, Caroline was a short lived marriage in Harry’s adult years so not the same bond. Lara and Edmund are only teens, 15 and 13 at the time of the wedding. Not surprising they were not on the list.
Oh I am sure he met her. What I meant we more what you said. She was married to his uncle at a time when he probably wasn't that interested in family.

And while Harry is close to his aunts and Kitty. I don't think either brother has been that close to their uncle.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:47 PM
Commoner

Quote:

To be fair she probably still considers Canada home, its where she grew up etc, just because she has lived in the UK for many years (and I imagine she enjoys living there) she probably misses it a lot. It must be hard living away for away from your immediate family.

Edward did not invite Fergie to his wedding even though they got on well IIRC, however I guess that was understandable given the time he got married. But Autumn is not really a prominent member of the family so it would really be indifferent if she was there or not. Surely the Royal family would be use to inviting former in laws, they have had enough practice.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:31 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Sad news especially for the children - loved seeing Autumn at extended family events. She came across really to have a great bond with the Queen and Peter's cousins and sister

Old 02-11-2020, 03:45 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I wonder if Autumn is returning now to communion with the Roman Catholic Church. I apologize if the topic has been discussed before, but I didn’t read the whole thread.
Would not Autumn be required to take RCIA religious classes for several months to become a Roman Catholic once again?
Old 02-11-2020, 03:52 PM
Heir Apparent

I doubt that would be required. If Autumn already has her sacraments then she's been through the required religious education.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Would not Autumn be required to take RCIA religious classes for several months to become a Roman Catholic once again?
As a lifelong practicing Catholic I'll weigh in here and say that in all likelihood the decision would lie with the priest and the bishop of the diocese in which she attends Mass. Technically, yes, I believe she would need to participate in RCIA classes but in practice, it's possible that they'd ask her to meet with the priest and/or the bishop a time or two, attend Confession, etc. and would then reinstate her.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:58 PM
Heir Apparent

The telegraph is reporting friends of the couple saying the likely outcome will be Autumn living nearby to Peter to help them share looking after the children and to allow them all to stay in touch with Peter's family.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-fa...e-say-friends/

Peter and Autumn Phillips intend to be neighbours after their divorce, according to friends who yesterday denied their break-up was linked to ‘Megxit’.

The Queen found out about her grandson’s separation from his Canadian wife of 12 years last autumn, more than three months before the Duke and Duchess of Sussex announced they were stepping down as senior royals to move to North America.

Last night, sources close to Mr and Mrs Phillips insisted Autumn had no intention of returning to her native Montreal, revealing that the couple are still living together at the family home in Gloucestershire and plan to "live nearby" once their divorce is finalised.

“The idea that this is in any way linked to Megxit is laughable,” said one insider. “Autumn has no plans to go back to Canada. She is very happy in Gloucestershire and wants their daughters Savannah and Isla to be as close to Peter and his family as possible. They are still living together and intend to remain living nearby.”
Old 02-11-2020, 04:01 PM
Majesty

Sad to see yesterday's rumors confirmed.

It's interesting how the statement focuses on them wanting to remain friends and (therefore) seeking divorce.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:12 PM
Majesty

They're not likely to make a statement which insinuates that the marriage has ended badly and they are not friends. I shouldn't wonder though if Autumn might go back to Canada when the girls are older...
Old 02-11-2020, 04:16 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
They're not likely to make a statement which insinuates that the marriage has ended badly and they are not friends. I shouldn't wonder though if Autumn might go back to Canada when the girls are older...
Of course not. Although I would hope that in most marriages it would be possible to remain married when you want to keep your friendship .
Old 02-11-2020, 04:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Of course not. Although I would hope that in most marriages it would be possible to remain married when you want to keep your friendship .
In some cases I think that's probably true but I've known more than one divorced couple that share many similarities to Sarah and Andrew in the fact that it's quite obvious to everyone who knows them that they're better as friends than as spouses. I really couldn't say why, I just know that it's true. I guess maybe sometimes things that are a little bit too intimate would threaten to destroy a marriage but with the bit of space that a close friendship brings they wouldn't seem so damaging or all-encompassing.