Queen Letizia and the Press

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
By the way, while I certainly agree that some sectors of the media use Letizia, I cannot agree with the statement that “Letizia uses the media.” I simply cannot think about any actions she has taken that indicate that.

Of course she does, like most other royals (especially the young generation), to promote and present herself as future Queen and capable for the job. The media are always most welcome to make as many meaningful pictures as possible in that respect (eg at children's events or in a regal posture at a state dinner) but are supposed to back off when it gets "private", with Leonor at the circus or with Paloma at the shops, then it's time for the celebrity don't-you-dare-to-approach-me attitude and the celebrity sunglasses. Both occasions are stories that sell, good or bad.

In 2006 the CP couple was harshly critizised for granting an exclusive shot to the monarchy-loyal El Pais, to promote the anniversary of the Prince of Asturias awards, something that can clearly be classified as "using the media", or the favourable media, to be precise.

Basically it's a give and take, you get the favourable and glossy coverage but will have to live with the downside, gossip & rumours. Whether that is fair or not I don't know but it's the way it is, anywhere, not only in Spain.

Duke, you think that the public prominent figures have to live in a Big Brother, controlled 24 hours to the day, 365 days a year :eek:. The press is in the public acts because the press reports on these public acts, for the Princess being there is her work and her obligation. And what the press must show and what the persons must judge is how she does this work. The press reports and it must report on what has a public interest.

But she does not have because to be chased in her private life. And it is applicable to her or to any other public person ... and it is not to use to the press. It is the fundamental right that all the persons have to have a private life and an intimacy, and includes it to whom they occupy a public position.

On the other hand it would be very questionable to say that the Prince and Princess improved themselves in El País newspaper, neither the Prince nor the Princess needed this article to promote the Prizes Prince of Asturias, because after 25 years and of rewarding to some of the most important personalities of the world, a photo does not change anything.

The Princess has had and has many opportunities to appear in the press; televisions, newspapers and magazines that would open their pages for what she wanted. And she limits herself to doing her work, and the press does its. She is not precisely a example of person who uses constant to the press to favor her image ... and the Spanish press would be charmed if she was doing it ... because they would do a great business.

Duke, you think that the public prominent figures have to live in a Big Brother, controlled 24 hours to the day, 365 days a year :eek:. The press is in the public acts because the press reports on these public acts, for the Princess being there is her work and her obligation. And what the press must show and what the persons must judge is how she does this work. The press reports and it must report on what has a public interest.
But she does not have because to be chased in her private life. And it is applicable to her or to any other public person ... and it is not to use to the press. It is the fundamental right that all the persons have to have a private life and an intimacy, and includes it to whom they occupy a public position.

that's not true lula. i only stated in my post that this is the way it goes today, i didn't say it was right or fair. it's a sign of the media society we live in. royals or public figures need and use the media to promote themselves (you can call it satisfying public interest if you like) but with time passing the media became clever enough to refuse to only act according to other people's demands and to follow their own agenda = making profit. nowadays society is not only interested in the public part of a public person but also in the private part and monarchy is the weakest link here because they can't simply shut the door and annoy the media all the time. any private person who decides to become a public figure these days realizes sooner or later that these are the rules of the game, it's hot in the kitchen so either get out or get used to it. in letizia's case it's not that bad actually because she can have as much private life as she wants in zarzuela, without any media disturbance.

On the other hand it would be very questionable to say that the Prince and Princess improved themselves in El País newspaper, neither the Prince nor the Princess needed this article to promote the Prizes Prince of Asturias, because after 25 years and of rewarding to some of the most important personalities of the world, a photo does not change anything.

then why did they do the photo if it was meaningless? most people wouldn't have bothered to read felipe's essay but maybe the idea was to get some attention for an important but boring article with an exclusive picture including letizia as teaser? it was clear that granting el pais an exclusive shot would cause annoyance among any other newspaper and the rest of the media because of singling one of them out, probably the most favourable. letizia never appeared again in an exclusive picture afterwards, unlike felipe, what shows again that the media or people don't bother much about him, it's his wife who sells.

The Princess has had and has many opportunities to appear in the press; televisions, newspapers and magazines that would open their pages for what she wanted. And she limits herself to doing her work, and the press does its. She is not precisely a example of person who uses constant to the press to favor her image ... and the Spanish press would be charmed if she was doing it ... because they would do a great business.

we don't know what the princess wants at this stage and how she would have handled her media image. what we do know is what jc wants, at least regarding letizia: stay out of the limelight whenever it's not about work.

The intimacy is a right and there are limits, though you are a public person, and the laws and the courts defend it. So there can be interest in the private life, but it is not possible to abuse of it.

El País newspaper had the idea and obtained the photo, like the ABC photographed the Prince with persons of his generation. If there appear serious and professional projects the Royal House can accept them. And often it benefits more to the newspapers than to the members of the Royal Family. In addition El País newspaper had a peculiarity, it is the only one that has received the Prize Prince of Asturias.

The reality is that all the Spanish mass media would be been charmed with the Princess if she speaks for them ... but they would hate that she was speaking for other one. The market of the press in Spain is very wide and very competitive, and many of the problems proceed of there.

All the Princes and Princesses do what the Chiefs of their Royal Houses allow them and every Royal House has its way of working.

The intimacy is a right and there are limits, though you are a public person, and the laws and the courts defend it. So there can be interest in the private life, but it is not possible to abuse of it.

yes i completely agree. in reality though very often the right of privacy can only be obtained by force = lawsuit, again, it's not fair but it's a fact and unlikely to change. many monarchies decide not to sue, not only the spanish, same goes for the british, because it will end in a bad relation to the media. sueing is a vicious circle, once you start you can't stop because then papers will claim everything that has not been subject to a lawsuit is automatically true.

The reality is that all the Spanish mass media would be been charmed with the Princess if she speaks for them ... but they would hate that she was speaking for other one. The market of the press in Spain is very wide and very competitive, and many of the problems proceed of there.

see, that's why the el pais shot was not a good idea. it was not about the prince but about the princess. we can agree to disagree but having a shot of letizia is "using the media" - moreover as the occasion of the anniversary of the prince of asturias awards did not have much to do with letizia but rather with felipe. it was his event, his essay, not hers, so why include her in the picture? el pais is not stupid and maybe felipe was charmed with the idea because he's tired of having to exclude his wife from the limelight often enough but failed to see the result, the rest of the media complaining about this decision. jc wasn't amused, that's for certain.

see, that's why the el pais shot was not a good idea. it was not about the prince but about the princess. we can agree to disagree but having a shot of letizia is "using the media" - moreover as the occasion of the anniversary of the prince of asturias awards did not have much to do with letizia but rather with felipe. it was his event, his essay, not hers, so why include her in the picture? el pais is not stupid and maybe felipe was charmed with the idea because he's tired of having to exclude his wife from the limelight often enough but failed to see the result, the rest of the media complaining about this decision. jc wasn't amused, that's for certain.

I have never heard that JC wasn't amused about the El Pais pictures. El Munto has been in the direct competition with El Pais, it's normal that they ate sour grapes. With the great effort of El Pais compiling almost 100 pages of report on the PoA foundation, 3 pictures is only a very minimal 'award' IMO. Actually the complains of other media outlets (mainly El Munto) only helped more sales, more people were able to see the great job the PoA foundation had done, it was rather a success at the end.
Since the wedding (2004), Letizia had accompanied Felipe at all activities related to the PoA foundation, the director had said a few times both had put lots of efforts and work to the foundation, of course she is a little part of the history, a big part of presence and future, should be included in the pictures, it was a different story from the picture of Felipe and the young leaders of Spain of his generation (all of them are in their 40s) to celebrate his 40 birthday last year.
Letizia is a public figure, it's inevitable that there is a link between her and media. So far unlike other royals, she hasn't given any exclusive interview to any newspaper or magazine, or let a media outlet exclusively cover her private events or regularly invited the tabloids to take pictures of her and her kids or sent private pictures to the tabloid magazines. I think that was Boni meant she hadn't used the media, at least not as much as some other royals.

Of course she does, like most other royals (especially the young generation), to promote and present herself as future Queen and capable for the job. The media are always most welcome to make as many meaningful pictures as possible in that respect (eg at children's events or in a regal posture at a state dinner) but are supposed to back off when it gets "private", with Leonor at the circus or with Paloma at the shops, then it's time for the celebrity don't-you-dare-to-approach-me attitude and the celebrity sunglasses. Both occasions are stories that sell, good or bad.

In 2006 the CP couple was harshly critizised for granting an exclusive shot to the monarchy-loyal El Pais, to promote the anniversary of the Prince of Asturias awards, something that can clearly be classified as "using the media", or the favourable media, to be precise.

Basically it's a give and take, you get the favourable and glossy coverage but will have to live with the downside, gossip & rumours. Whether that is fair or not I don't know but it's the way it is, anywhere, not only in Spain.

I am afraid I still disagree with the statement about Letizia using the media.

I understand what you write about the coverage but to me, welcoming positive coverage of scheduled/agenda activities is quite different from "using" the media, which I feel indicates actively seeking/inviting the coverage (especially when one thinks about using personal life). There is a private and a public sphere, even for public people. I think the Spanish Royal House in general has made an effort to try and have their work, not their personal life -as appealing at it may be to the general public-speak for them and the fulfillment of their role. Again, if there is something objectionable in their performance, let it be discussed with facts and in the context of their roles. They have a right, like everybody else to keep their private life private. They do not have to be on display -especially, the private sphere of their life- 24/7 for the profit of some and the entertainment/curiousity of others. As for gossip & rumors, there is never a time in which it is right for rumors and gossips to be passed as "facts" or "news;" if there is criticism, let it be published and discussed but grounded on facts and the truth.

I will not elaborate further as other posters (Lula and Donna) have already expressed eloquently and touched upon many of the relevant points on this issue.

I have never heard that JC wasn't amused about the El Pais pictures. El Munto has been in the direct competition with El Pais, it's normal that they ate sour grapes. With the great effort of El Pais compiling almost 100 pages of report on the PoA foundation, 3 pictures is only a very minimal 'award' IMO. Actually the complains of other media outlets (mainly El Munto) only helped more sales, more people were able to see the great job the PoA foundation had done, it was rather a success at the end.
Since the wedding (2004), Letizia had accompanied Felipe at all activities related to the PoA foundation, the director had said a few times both had put lots of efforts and work to the foundation, of course she is a little part of the history, a big part of presence and future, should be included in the pictures, it was a different story from the picture of Felipe and the young leaders of Spain of his generation (all of them are in their 40s) to celebrate his 40 birthday last year.
Letizia is a public figure, it's inevitable that there is a link between her and media. So far unlike other royals, she hasn't given any exclusive interview to any newspaper or magazine, or let a media outlet exclusively cover her private events or regularly invited the tabloids to take pictures of her and her kids or sent private pictures to the tabloid magazines. I think that was Boni meant she hadn't used the media, at least not as much as some other royals.

Precisely.

I Letizia is a public figure, it's inevitable that there is a link between her and media. So far unlike other royals, she hasn't given any exclusive interview to any newspaper or magazine, or let a media outlet exclusively cover her private events or regularly invited the tabloids to take pictures of her and her kids or sent private pictures to the tabloid magazines. I think that was Boni meant she hadn't used the media, at least not as much as some other royals.

Hi there! I think you may be misinformed here, because the Asturias, sat for a photo session and an interview with The Pais Newspaper, thus creating a lot of complaints from other media outlets. It's has been a silent agreement between the media and the King, that he will not favor any newspaper with exclusives, the Asturias, in this instance, broke that implicit agreement.

They also gave the initial preview of that documentary in their house with their two daughthers, walking in the gardens and in their living room reading to their girls, to Point de Vue, that magazine, published the documentary before the Spanish press.

The material of the birthday of the Prince submitted the same day to all the mas media and was realized by a public agency ... normally this material submits with an order of publication for a concrete day, if a newspaper or magazine decides to break the rules, is not a fault of the Prince. In that occasion several international agencies broke the rules and published them before time.

Hi there! I think you may be misinformed here, because the Asturias, sat for a photo session and an interview with The Pais Newspaper, thus creating a lot of complaints from other media outlets. It's has been a silent agreement between the media and the King, that he will not favor any newspaper with exclusives, the Asturias, in this instance, broke that implicit agreement.

I have never heard such an agreement, I don't think there is any truth to it. The Prince had given an interview to a financial magazine in 2006 during his trip to Mexico.

They also gave the initial preview of that documentary in their house with their two daughthers, walking in the gardens and in their living room reading to their girls, to Point de Vue, that magazine, published the documentary before the Spanish press.

Like Lula said, the materials to celebrate the birthday of the Prince were given to the media at the same day. PdV is out every Tuesday and most Spanish magazines are out every Wednesday (or later).

The material of the birthday of the Prince submitted the same day to all the mas media and was realized by a public agency ... normally this material submits with an order of publication for a concrete day, if a newspaper or magazine decides to break the rules, is not a fault of the Prince. In that occasion several international agencies broke the rules and published them before time.

Wow! you seem to be very well informed lula, do you work for the Zarzuela? those are very interesting facts that a regular person, just a passerby will never know. But it's alway refreshing to learn new things every day. In fact, that is one of the positive aspects of joining a forum, you learn a lot of things, and have access to first hand information that otherwise you will never have.
Regads to you,

Like Lula said, the materials to celebrate the birthday of the Prince were given to the media at the same day. PdV is out every Tuesday and most Spanish magazines are out every Wednesday (or later).

Such as EL JUEVES, it comes on Wednesday, but it is called EL JUEVES, (Thursday).
I was petrified when I saw that front page of the Princesses caricature!. What ever happened with that? did they fire the cartoonist? I travel to Spain, because of work and because I have relatives in Madid, so whenever I visit, I read all the news and the old news, quite interesting.

Wow! you seem to be very well informed lula, do you work for the Zarzuela? those are very interesting facts that a regular person, just a passerby will never know. But it's alway refreshing to learn new things every day. In fact, that is one of the positive aspects of joining a forum, you learn a lot of things, and have access to first hand information that otherwise you will never have.
Regads to you,

Lula need not work for Zarzuela to know that Zarzuela sent out the materials the same day to all media outlets. The media reported it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Such as EL JUEVES, it comes on Wednesday, but it is called EL JUEVES, (Thursday).
I was petrified when I saw that front page of the Princesses caricature!. What ever happened with that? did they fire the cartoonist? I travel to Spain, because of work and because I have relatives in Madid, so whenever I visit, I read all the news and the old news, quite interesting.

I was refering to Hola, Semana, Lecturas, Diez Minutos and etc, all get published Wed or later during the week.

I have been enough time in this forum and I like to be informed well without manipulations or gossips. The reality is that, for example, the speech of Christmas of the King can read 1 hour before the King starts speaking on TV, because many digital newspapers leave the work made. This month, an agency of press already had the news published in the web with the speech of the King .... before the act began. The agencies when they want to leave the work made break these rules habitually, more now with Internet.

I have been enough time in this forum and I like to be informed well without manipulations or gossips. The reality is that, for example, the speech of Christmas of the King can read 1 hour before the King starts speaking on TV, because many digital newspapers leave the work made. This month, an agency of press already had the news published in the web with the speech of the King .... before the act began. The agencies when they want to leave the work made break these rules habitually, more now with Internet.

I would not like to be impolite, but you see lula, this is not Wikipedia, you do not enter a forum where people enter to comments on daily events to get informed. You buy the newspapers and watch the TV news for complete coverage.. Forums are there for people to comment, to give opinions therefore what you are reading may not be totally accurate, because of their nature. They are not designed to give a complete and exact description of events such as the newspapers, here you read opinions of people! To an extent, it may well be considered gossip, because talking about the royals or others.

I can't believe it! .....wow!

I would not like to be impolite, but you see lula, this is not Wikipedia, you do not enter a forum where people enter to comments on daily events to get informed. You buy the newspapers and watch the TV news for complete coverage.. Forums are there for people to comment, to give opinions therefore what you are reading may not be totally accurate, because of their nature. They are not designed to give a complete and exact description of events such as the newspapers, here you read opinions of people! To an extent, it may well be considered gossip, because talking about the royals or others.

I can't believe it! .....wow!

Hey guys, lighten up. This should be a fun forum about the SRF not a place to critique other members' comments. We should be able to write anything within the forum's guidelines without having to show proof of every little comment. Most of the comments are personal opinions. Believe what you want to believe and let the others do the same.

While everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion and the right to express it in a RESPECTFUL manner, I would like to take this time to remind everyone of the TRF rules that they agree to when they joined the Forums. They are :

Insulting comments about other posters and royals are not permitted. Criticism is acceptable; insults and flames are not. We expect our members to treat each other with respect.
Whenever possible, opinions should be based on factual information obtained from reputable sources and should be backed up by references to those sources. The moderators reserve the right to delete posts containing the more fanciful types of gossip and speculation, whether they originate in gossip magazines and websites or are simply fabricated.

Any and all posts that deviate from the above rules, will be deleted without warning. If anyone has any questions, please do not hestiate to contact any of the moderators or Administrators.

Thank you.

Zonk

Two weeks ago, I read an article about the Princess and their daughters, it said that due to a busy agenda, Leonor and Sofia had been through some "bad times", because they are missing mummy and daddy. The article also said that this has been a subject on the spanish press, but I don't find anything on reliable spanish press about this matter :huh:
Probably, this is one of those big truths created by the press :rolleyes: Neverthless, I was wondering if anyone have ever read something about this, since I'm having troubles in finding this believable.

Juanita, the Spanish press has not published news of this type, so I imagine that the news is of the Portuguese or German yellow press.

In this aspect the Spanish Royal Family always has done of the children a priority, the Queen Sofia did and the Princess of Asturias does it. The Prince and the Infantas, were not raised like have recognized other princes of their generation only by the babysitters, the Queen always was very near to her children. The princess always has said that her priority is to be a mother, over being the Princess of Asturias, she has reduced her trips from the birth of the girls and in general the trips of the Spanish Royal Family are shorter than those of other royal families, I believe that the princess has not been more than 5 days separated from her daughters.

In addition, they know that not only they take care and educate their children, they are educating the members of a Royal Family who are going to have a life different from that of other children.

The princes in general have a work complicated to arrange in occasions with the children, but ultimately, are like other parents who work and it seems that the new generations are able to arrange well both roles.

I actually think that Felipe and Letizia see more of their children than the average full time working parent. Leonor and Sofia are both in school (almost full day) / daycare anyway. Felipe and Letizia do have a busy schedule but very often an event is limited to 2 or 3 hours, and they are not out and about every single day of the week and can be at home at "regular working hours" that apply to other parents. I assume F&L have 1 or 2 live-in nannies who will look after the children when they are travelling or have to attend evening events (can't imagine Sofia sen. or JC doing regular babysitting). Usually the working schedule is non-flexible and ad hoc situations can occur when the parents will have to put duty above the children but it doesn't happen too often.

The media will always find something to write about but in this case, well, the average kid with both parents working will have more to complain about than Leonor and Sofia, who are privileged in any way.

I also thought this was a nonsense, but even so, just wanted to be sure. The portuguese press is getting worse and worse, everyday.
Thank you, lula and Duke of Marmalade ;)

Obviously there is an exclusive interview or cover(age) in next months' Vanity Fair around the corner. In the past weeks there were also rumors of something similar with Y Dona (part of El Mundo newspaper).

The new head of comms in Zarzuela seems to break with the usual equality of media and the royals not giving exclusive interviews or granting photoshoots.

Letizia concede una entrevista a Vanity Fair - NOTICIAS - Hoxe en Xornal de Galicia 1º Diario Dixital de Galicia
La exclusiva de Letizia a Vanity Fair
Doña Letizia íntima y lo de Marichalar en carretilla desata el fuego - ESD

When I will see it I will believe it. According to the gossip journalists it is in the number of March, and this magazine has to be in the shops this week.

It is not the first time that the yellow press extends the rumor that the Princess has granted an interview, they do a tremendous scandal, and finally only it is one more article about her where there is nothing new. The magazine obtains many advertising and the journalists of gossip have topic to speak and to criticize. It is what happens when you are the most profitable personage for the press.

It is difficult enough to believe when not even the Prince granted an interview in his 40th birthday. It is difficult that a member of the Royal Family grants an interview, and when they do it is coinciding with some special event. And are they going to break their rules with the interview that all the journalists of Spain want? :whistling:

It would be necessary to wait and see. Rumours never confirms nothing.

I agree, in the end it might just be a normal news article, without spectacular photos. Other royals have done similar things with Vanity Fair, like Rania or Marie Chantal. Royals on the cover always sell well :whistling: maybe there is a change of style with the arrival of Ramón Iribarren, not sure though that Spaniards want their royals become celebrities :whistling: It's really hard to believe that there will be a home story a la Rania or Pavlos & MC with exclusive shots and a sugary interview.
Los Príncipes de Asturias, en el «Vanity Fair» - Casas_Reales_Espana - Gente - ABC.es

Duke, Ramon Iribarren arrived to Zarzuela in the middle of January, by then the article already would be made. The monthly magazines like Vanity Fair work with certain anticipation, are not like the magazines of gossips that are published every week. Maybe it's a warning for him to see what awaits him if he allows the Princess to grant an interview.

It will be necessary to wait some days, how I have said the monthly magazines of March are published this week.

Back
Top Bottom