Letizia Gives Birth to Second Daughter - Sofía!: April 29, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have a video of the press conference? I'd love to see it.

Ani

RhapsodyBrat said:
shouldn't it be S.A.R. Doña Sofia de Todos los Santos de Borbon y Ortiz, Infanta de España? or S.A.R. la Infanta Doña Sofia de Todos los Santos de Borbon y Ortiz, if not writing the title Infanta de España?

S.A.R. la Infanta Doña Sofia de Todos los Santos de Borbon y Ortiz:flowers:

clymène said:
Can someone explain why do they do that? Is it in case the litlle infanta goes ill or something?

Yes If baby goes ill perhaps this blodd can help her.

I'll bet Grandmother Sofia is so proud to have the newest little grandchild named after her! And I'm sure it will be nice, having Leonor and Sofia so close in age.

Alright so it has been stated that they will leave the hospital in 4 or 5 days so I'm thinking we might not see her until Friday. With Leonor she was born on October 31 and was presented on November 7 so exactly one week afterwards. (Yes, I cheated I looked back at old threads.)

Congratulations to their royal highnesses!

Nawal said:
Yes If baby goes ill perhaps this blodd can help her.

I have understood that the blood is not just for the baby to use but for other family members that are a perfect match with the baby's blood it is for diseases. The blood can help if anyone that is related to the family becomes very sick and needs it.

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE HAPPY PARENTS :wub: :wub: :wub:

Wonderful name, Queen Sofia shuld be very very happy.
It is a tradition inGreece to give to babies their granparents names, so she should be more more happy.;)

Can someone post a link of the video conference of Felipe? I can not manage to find it.

A question, I went through the announcements of the Casa Real, and I noticed that Leonor is "Infanta d'Espagna" and Sofia "Altezza Real" Does someone has a clue what is the difference???

Both Infantas Elena and Cristina had the same titles, why Leonor and Sofia have differents??​

acdc1 said:
I'll bet Grandmother Sofia is so proud to have the newest little grandchild named after her! And I'm sure it will be nice, having Leonor and Sofia so close in age.
If I wouldn't know I would ask Leonor and her grandmother?:ermm:
:lol:

fandesacs2003 said:
Can someone post a link of the video conference of Felipe? I can not manage to find it.

A question, I went through the announcements of the Casa Real, and I noticed that Leonor is "Infanta d'Espagna" and Sofia "Altezza Real" Does someone has a clue what is the difference???​

Both Infantas Elena and Cristina had the same titles, why Leonor and Sofia have differents??​
Altezza Real - Royal Highness
Infante/Infanta de España - Prince/Princess of Spain or child of the monarch
Cristina nad Elena are children of the monarch
Leonor and Sofia are daughters of the future monarch, Prince of Asturias - heir apparent to the throne

Infante - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre
Infante - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Aurora810 said:
I have understood that the blood is not just for the baby to use but for other family members that are a perfect match with the baby's blood it is for diseases. The blood can help if anyone that is related to the family becomes very sick and needs it.

Yes, it can help with cancers and blood problems. Usually serious diseases. Its good to have just in case. God willing it will never need to be used:)

Aurora810 said:

Well in Spain the journalists too said the blood will can help infanta Sofia in future, I´m not doctor.:lol: :flowers:

magnik said:
Altezza Real - Royal Highness
Infante/Infanta de España - Prince/Princess of Spain or child of the monarch

Right, but Sofia should be styled as the Infanta as well, which was the same case with Felipe's older sisters. I think she was saying that the two of them have different titles on the website and she's asking why.

anabela921 said:
Yes, it can help with cancers and blood problems. Usually serious diseases. Its good to have just in case. God willing it will never need to be used:)

Thank´s for information Anabela and Aurora:flowers: :flowers:

LaChicaMadrilena said:
I love the name! Tenemos Infanta Sofia!!! :flowers:

From the conference:

-the baby: 3.310 grams and 50 centimeters (smaller than Leo even though she was more mature!)
-born at 16.50
-she is very similar to Leonor when she was a baby
-Leo will probably visit her baby sis tomorrow
-date of the christening and the godparents will be annonced in next days/weeks
-Felipe cut the umbilical cord
-the blood from it is in 2 "bottles": one for the public bank and the 2nd to go to the US to the private one
-Leti is very calm and both she and the baby are doing fine
-they should leave the hospital in 4-5 days
-Felipe said the experience was the same as the last time

The two bags of blood will be stored in Europe according to has said the prince,not in EEUU.:flowers:

congratuations!

this is definitely my favarite royal family!:wub:

fandesacs2003 said:
A question, I went through the announcements of the Casa Real, and I noticed that Leonor is "Infanta d'Espagna" and Sofia "Altezza Real" Does someone has a clue what is the difference???
Both Infantas Elena and Cristina had the same titles, why Leonor and Sofia have differents??[/LEFT]

Leonor's official title is Su Alteza Real Infanta Leonor de Todos los Santos de Bourbon y Ortiz.

the new infantita, Sofia's, official title is Su Alteza Real Infanta Sofia de Todos los Santos Bourbon y Ortiz

This translates into Her Royal Highness, Princess** Sofia of All the Saints, of Bourbon and Ortiz.

As the daughter of the Prince of Asturias, she is an HRH (which in Spanish is Su Alteza Real, SAR), then Infanta, as the children of the king and the Prince of Asturias are always called Infanta or Infanta, (the only princess in that family is the Princess of Asturias). Also, if Leo remains the heiress to the throne, any of her children would be infantes or infantas. De Todos los Santos is a name traditionally given to the infantas, de Bourbon is her father's last name, and Ortiz, her mother's, as listing them thusly is the Spanish norm.

Queen Sofia of Spain is titled Su Majestad Reina Sofia de Bourbon y Grecia.
That translates as Her Majesty (su Majestad) Queen (Reina) Sofia, of Bourbon (her married last name-JC's last) and of Greece (de Grecia, as she was Princess of Greece before her marriage. (Interesting note on that: did you know that when Sofia and JC married, she was the daughter of a reigning king, and he, the heir to a non-reigning royal house? It's funny because now the roles are reversed- he's a king, and her brother is a pretender!)

A guide to Spanish Titles:

Su Majestad: His/Her Majesty
Sus Majestades: Their Majesties
Rey: King
Reina: Queen
Don/Doña: Lord/Lady, Sir/Ma'am (like a very formal Mr or Mrs)
El Rey Don Juan Carlos: The King, Lord Juan Carlos- rarely directly translated as such, it's a more formal and respectful way of listing him. Similarly, you can often hear Felipe refered to as Don Felipe, el Principe de Asturias. Letizia is often called Doña Letizia. (and Felipe likes to call her Doña!)
Principe: Prince. The Only person in the SRF who is a Principe is Felipe, and only will be (until he becomes king).
Principesa: Princess. The Only person who is a princess is Letizia, as the only princess in the SRF can ever be the wife of the Prince of Asturias. (again, if Leo is the heiress, when her father becomes king, then that may change)
Principe de Asturias: The official title of the heir to the throne. The Spanish heir is not called the Crown Prince (at least not in Spanish), although Crown Prince is common in non-Spanish publications. Prince of Asturias is used similarly to Britain's title Prince of Wales
Infanta: the daughter of the king, or of the Prince of Asturias. This is a lifelong title, and is non-transferable. (thus their spouses are not infantas or infantes). The children of Infantas or Infantes are not styled as Infantas or Infantes, and most do not inherit any title
Duque: Duke, as in Iñaki and Jaime, the Duke of Lugo (Jaime) and the Duke of Palmas de Mallorca. (Duke of Palma de Mallorca is Iñaki's full title!!!)
Duques: the Dukes, or the Duke and Duchess. Refers to the Duke and Duchess as a couple, or refers to their entire immediate family.
Duquesitos: the children of the Dukes and Duchesses- rarely used, but worth mentioning.
Su Alteza Real: His/Her Royal Highness, used the same as in other Rfs. Shortened, it is SAR. The only SARs in the SRF are Infanta Margarita, Infanta Pilar (the sisters of Juan Carlos); Infanta Elena, Don Jaime de Marichalar (the Duke and Duchess of Lugo); Infanta Cristina, Don Iñaki Undagarin (the Duke and Duchess of Palma de Mallorca); Don Felipe, El Principe de Asturias, Doña Letizia, La Principesa de Asturias, Infanta Leonor, and Infanta Sofia.

The long winded, but pretty complete explanation.

Last edited:
Did she intend to have a caesarian or did they try natural first?

Sister Morphine said:
Right, but Sofia should be styled as the Infanta as well, which was the same case with Felipe's older sisters. I think she was saying that the two of them have different titles on the website and she's asking why.
We should wait and see what will be write on SRF website.
But why she shouldn't has a SAR/HRH? That the Felipe doesn't mention it doesn't mean that his neborn isn't SAR.

Last edited:
magnik said:
We should wait and see what will be write on SRF website.
But why she shouldn't has a SAR/HRH?

I wasn't saying she shouldn't have the HRH title. I was saying, she saw on their website the two princesses with different titles. Sofia wasn't titled "Infanta" as she should be. She was asking why and if that meant they would be styled differently.

The Queen Sofia will be in the Hospital in 20 minutes.

Felipe:

-(asked whether they want to have a little boy in the future) "Making plans now is complicated. We have the full "plate" of occupations and happiness. We will still see."

-"I did not know how I was going to react before a new daughter but I believe that it is always equal, although sometimes the experience is a degree… Before the birth of a child the nerves are equal, because the children are loved in the same way”.

-"all the time I was trying to maintain the type (?) and to collaborate in everything I have been able, just as during the birth of Leonor"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom