Letizia and Other Royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What I want to say doesn´t directly belong to Leti but it fits to the theme of this thread: When Alexandra of Denmark married Martin I noticed that not one royal or even noble person attended although Alexandra was almost ten years married to Joachim and must have come to know lots of royals a.s.o..So I have the feeling this means that Alexandra never really became friend with one of that noble persons she met during all that years of her first marriage. Even if you consider it inappropriate to attend her second marriage if I were a royal and really good friend of her I would´ve attended if I had been invited.
So I don´t attach importance all that visiting and hugging between the different royals during their visits in the then countries.

Exact Larzen, there are certain acts that they are nice while be realized in their free time, and providing that they do not interfere in the official activity. In Christmas, Holy Week and August... that go where they want ... and the weekends where they could.

At this moment many of the members of the royalty of Europa's north are already in their habitual period of vacations ... in Spain until the King does not come to Majorca it does not begin the period of vacations (and it is after July 15), therefore this week they continue with their official activity. Today I read that the arrival to Norway of the Queen (we will see because this week has not gone out of Madrid for her wound in the leg) and the Dukes of Lugo is not foreseen up to tomorrow, when it begins the weekend.

LOL. I don't see anyone here ever claimed that other royals never did serious work or none of them has a true friendship with others (I do believe there are true friendships between some neighboring royals).

I will contact nobody, is unveliavable that one can't share one respectful opinion w/o being treat rude if it dosn't goes with some of the members opinions. As far as the baptisms in Spain I know very well my own country that's why I did focused more in other RH's who has a list of goodparents in where L and F hasn't being appointed, that's all I said because it is a reallity. I'll say no more, if that make a lot of people happy the emperor has clothes then.

Emperor's new clothes ? For whom ? Nobody here has pretended that F & L have been really good friends with the other heirs and their wifes. I have said many times that except for maybe Haakon, Felipe has not been a good friend with other heirs despite attending many royal events before.
Neither JC or Sofia is a godparent of the current heirs or their siblings. There is no need to over react at Felipe or Letizia not being a godparent of their kids.

I completely agree with Little_Star's previous post on the other thread that often the "victim" is giving just as good as some of the "attackers".

Last edited:
Mmm Frederik is Godfather to Ingrid, to the oldest son of Pavlos, and to Nikolai and I belive to one of the SWB children as well. Haakon is to Maud Angelica, Eloise and Chrstian. Mette-Marit is to Christian and the youngest son of Pavlos

Well bottom line after reading this discussion 2698 times in different threads I think the conclusion is;)

Internationally Spain will not managed without their royals

Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia only attends serious events, all the other royals attends non serious fluff events like christening flowers all the times.

Felipe and Letizia are serious royals, the rest are party hoppers who dare have a good time in the weekends and vacations, sheeesh on them.

Felipe and Letizia are super hard workers, all the others a lazy people, esp Party hoppers like Maxima who just of maternety leave have attended incredible shallow events in Kenya and London

Before 2004 The spanish royals was also partyhoppers and non serious because they were at plenty of parties all over Europe

Felipe only attended theese parties because his mother wanted him to find a suitable wife and we all know he always does as mummy says

It is only the spanish who have serious expectations to royals

The other royals just choose each other as godparents because it looks good, never because there is a true friendship

And finally.....If one wants an excuse not to attend one will find one

Astonishing! It's o clever that I don't understand why I didn't tthaught that before!

What a so accurate analysis, what so deep reflexions and what so fantastic conclusion!!

I'm so admiring for all the relevant points of vew and I understand how you know very well this intrinsic relationships between all the european " Royals".
Happily you are here to help us to understand better the arcanes of this world!

Larzen, your post did amuse me. ;)

I have to say I would love to see Felipe and Letizia branching out and attending 'parties' and general royal gatherings abroad every once in a while.
And it would be nice if the couple, particularly Letizia, travelled abroad with Queen Sofia.

One thing I will say though is that I personally think the SRF deserve their summer vacations (not that anybody here has said they don't deserve it) as they do work hard. Of course, I follow them more closely than any other royal house and I can't deny I love the vast amount of photos we get each year! :rolleyes:

Oh and please, this is what I think.

Exact Larzen, there are certain acts that they are nice while be realized in their free time, and providing that they do not interfere in the official activity. In Christmas, Holy Week and August... that go where they want ... and the weekends where they could.

At this moment many of the members of the royalty of Europa's north are already in their habitual period of vacations ... .

I would also add most of the Royal families are in a child bearing period. Seems most crown heir royals and their siblings are very busy right now with kids under the age of ten. That could make travel a little more complicated if they have to go out of the country. :ermm:
Maybe when the kids are older and a bit more independent we will see more gatherings amongst the next generation of Kings, Queens, Grand Dukes and Princes, etc. :)

I would also add most of the Royal families are in a child bearing period. Seems most crown heir royals and their siblings are very busy right now with kids under the age of ten. That could make travel a little more complicated if they have to go out of the country. :ermm:
Maybe when the kids are older and a bit more independent we will see more gatherings amongst the next generation of Kings, Queens, Grand Dukes and Princes, etc. :)

Travelling is everyday life for Royals and IMO it doesn't matter if the purpose is attending "serious" acts abroad or royal gatherings such as birthdays or weddings. It goes with the job and the children will be used to their parents being away from a very young age, this is how the generation of Felipe or WA grew up. Avoiding travel because the small kids keep you busy is not really an argument for not attending a royal gathering, see MM or Maxima. Especially Maxima is travelling abroad very often for all kind of events and I doubt she brings her kids along.

Same goes for F & L. They will leave their daughters behind when travelling abroad for Spain and they could do the same when travelling to royal gatherings, the only question is if they or Zarzuela think it's important to attend or not.

Personally I think it is important. I imagine these kind of events go the same way as in normal people's lifes when atteding big familiy event: There are events you want to go to, some you don't, there are always certain people who annoy you but somehow you should show up because at the end of the day there is a relation. So with F & L missing at these kinds of events for whatever reasons they miss the opportunity to make or deepen friendships or relations that can be very helpful not only now but also in the future, when Felipe will be King. It's a social issue. If they happen to be absent once or twice it doesn't matter, but if it happens all the time they put themselves at bit on the outside of a circle they do belong to. All Royals put their country first but they don't forget that there is a whole world outside.

If you look at the other CPs or CP couples everything seems to go quite easygoing and natural whilst everything Felipe & Letizia are involved in seems to be complicated or restricted or with a certain purpose behind it. They always act so seriously and with a heavy burden on their shoulders that there is no room for spontaneity or unconcern. It's no miracle that it's them who are related to all kinds of catastrophies by the Yellow Press when watching their overprotocolled appearances in the last months.

Duke there are things in which I do not agree.

The Princes of Asturias, are not eliminated, nor stay away of all the royal acts, but they do not come to others like there make other Princes. It is necessary to remember that the Princes came to the wedding of the Princes of Denmark, one week before their wedding, and they came to that of Hamza of Jordan one week later, in their honeymoon. The princes are in the habit of coming to acts of members of the royalty that belong to their own generation. Because of it they were they those who came to Luxembourg.
On the baptisms, I believe that if you are not going to be a godfather or godmother, the presence is not so important , it is more many other princes are absent. And on the other hand, this type of displacements has more felt between neighboring countries and with more relations.

On the other hand the Princes and the Dukes of Palma have been present in celebrations deprived of the Jordanian Monarchy, or the Prince has come to funeral for members of the Arabic royalty. In these acts the presence of members of monarchies of Europa's north is not so habitual. Spain for its own geographical situation tends to reduce bows with these countries.

To the Kings' celebrations, the Kings go, or there goes the Queen accompanied of someone of the Infantas. And I believe that the Queen is a representative more that deign.

The Princes come to serious acts because this it is their work, they are the institutional representatives of Spain. There are more serious acts and less serious acts, but as representatives of the State they must be persons in charge. When it is time to entertain they amuse themselves as anyone, and in their private life they do a very normal life, of any person of their age.

It is necessary to remember that the Princes came to the wedding of the Princes of Denmark, one week before their wedding, and they came to that of Hamza of Jordan one week later, in their honeymoon.

I think the reason they attended Fred and Mary's wedding was to introduce Letizia to the royalties of the world. It would've been a little 'uncomfortable' to have all this people in your wedding whom you've heard about but never actually met.

Larzen said:
Felipe and Letizia are serious royals, the rest are party hoppers who dare have a good time in the weekends and vacations, sheeesh on them.
Felipe and Letizia are super hard workers

You're SO right! :flowers:

I think the reason they attended Fred and Mary's wedding was to introduce Letizia to the royalties of the world.
Well, but they had a pretty good excuse for not attending the wedding in Jordan, if they wanted to... but instead, they insisted in honouring the royal house with their presence in such an institutional act, as a royal wedding is. And they did it even one week after their own wedding, in the middle of their honeymoon (which one can't exactly say about Frederick and Mary towards Felipe and Letizia, by the way... ;)).

Well, but they had a pretty good excuse for not attending the wedding in Jordan, if they wanted to... but instead, they insisted in honouring the royal house with their presence in such an institutional act, as a royal wedding is. And they did it even one week after their own wedding, in the middle of their honeymoon (which one can't exactly say about Frederick and Mary towards Felipe and Letizia, by the way... ;)).
Yes and it was not Frederik and May who went a schedueled their wedding the week beween two other Crown Prince weddings. They planned their wedding before Felipe and Letizia even got out the ring.

Yes and it was not Frederik and May who went a schedueled their wedding the week beween two other Crown Prince weddings. They planned their wedding before Felipe and Letizia even got out the ring.
So your point is...?

Felipe and Letizia were forced to attend the wedding in Jordan, because they scheduled their wedding one week after Frederick and Mary? Now, that makes sense to me :D

Not completely true. The Jordanian wedding was also scheduled after Felipe and Letizia scheduled theirs, so I don't see anything wrong with Elsa's logic :). However Fred and Mary had every right to do what they wanted to do with their honeymoon.

Last edited:
If you look at the other CPs or CP couples everything seems to go quite easygoing and natural whilst everything Felipe & Letizia are involved in seems to be complicated or restricted or with a certain purpose behind it. They always act so seriously and with a heavy burden on their shoulders that there is no room for spontaneity or unconcern. It's no miracle that it's them who are related to all kinds of catastrophies by the Yellow Press when watching their overprotocolled appearances in the last months.

More of your own perception. Didn't WA and Maxima just sue the tabloids for publishing the pictures of Maxima with the kids ? Danish tabloids went nuts on Mary's lavish spending right before the christening of Isabella.
Felipe and Letizia like low key private life, they rarely went to the places crowded by the celebrities, thus very few pictures of them in private. It doesn't mean they don't enjoy their life or they have no life. For example, they also went to ski in the Alps before, but they didn't chose St. Moritz or Verbier.
Every move of Letizia has been scrutinized by the yellow press, that's because she is the Princess of Asturias, the tabloids have bigger market in Spain than some smaller countries up north. William's future wife likely will be scrutinized more and get much wider press coverage.

Mmm Frederik is Godfather to Ingrid, to the oldest son of Pavlos, and to Nikolai and I belive to one of the SWB children as well. Haakon is to Maud Angelica, Eloise and Chrstian. Mette-Marit is to Christian and the youngest son of Pavlos

Well bottom line after reading this discussion 2698 times in different threads I think the conclusion is;)

Internationally Spain will not managed without their royals

Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia only attends serious events, all the other royals attends non serious fluff events like christening flowers all the times.

Felipe and Letizia are super hard workers, all the others a lazy people, esp Party hoppers like Maxima who just of maternety leave have attended incredible shallow events in Kenya and London

Before 2004 The spanish royals was also partyhoppers and non serious because they were at plenty of parties all over Europe

Felipe only attended theese parties because his mother wanted him to find a suitable wife and we all know he always does as mummy says

It is only the spanish who have serious expectations to royals

The other royals just choose each other as godparents because it looks good, never because there is a true friendship

And finally.....If one wants an excuse not to attend one will find one

It seems to me the British Royal Family and the Spanish Royal Family have a similar "policy" on attendance of international events.

Neither JC or Sofia is a godparent of the current heirs or their siblings.

I read somewhere that Queen Sofia is godmother to Prince Albert of Monaco. Is this true?

Last edited by a moderator:
I read somewhere that Queen Sofia is godmother to Prince Albert of Monaco. Is this true?

No, the godmother of Prince Alberto was the Queen Victoria Eugenia, the grandmother of King Juan Carlos.

Felipe's godmother too, right?

It seems to me the British Royal Family and the Spanish Royal Family have a similar "policy" on attendance of international events.

This is pretty untrue. The Spanish royal family has an attendance on almost all royal events, in reigning and non-reigning Houses ! The attendance of Queen Sofía as well as the Duke and Duchess of Lugo were announced by the Norwegian Court, so they had the intention to attend Queen Sonja's birthday festivities.

Unfortunately their attendance was cancelled. A reason has not been given, but most likely it had something to do with the death of six soldiers by a bomb assault in Lebanon, last week. Under them 4 Spanish soldiers.

This is pretty untrue. The Spanish royal family has an attendance on almost all royal events, in reigning and non-reigning Houses ! The attendance of Queen Sofía as well as the Duke and Duchess of Lugo were announced by the Norwegian Court, so they had the intention to attend Queen Sonja's birthday festivities.

Unfortunately their attendance was cancelled. A reason has not been given, but most likely it had something to do with the death of six soldiers by a bomb assault in Lebanon, last week. Under them 4 Spanish soldiers.

The Queen Sofia has a wound in the leg that has forced her to cancel all her activities out of Palace last week. She only has come to two acts in Zarzuela, and has stayed away from several acts to which she had foreseen to come with the King.

What about de Lugos?

Last edited:
What about the Lugos?

I do not know it, probably when the Queen cancels it, they decided to cancel it also. It depends on how they had the trip organized.

SRF clearly has their priority set on relationships more than just their royal counterparts even though they do send representatives to most of the royal gatherings. They seem to send representatives based on the rank. If it's a wedding for a crown prince/princess, Felipe and Letizia go. If it's a queen's birthday, it's Sofia. If it's a reigning king's or queen's special occasion, JC and Sofia go. They don't usually come out in force as some other royal families do.

Felipe and Letizia's priority when it comes to foreign visits is clearly Latin America. They attend all the presidential inaugurations and do official visits there at least once a year if I'm not mistaken. They also travel abroad a lot for opening of Cervante Institute centers. To say they don't travel abroad often is simply ignorant of their schedule. Spain is a larger country with many important foreign relationships to maintain. Relationship with their royal counterparts may be important to them but maintaining good relationships with Latin America is much more important to Spain.

Plus, they also have many more domestic activities. Larsen, you can be as sarcastic as you want but you can't deny they have one of the busiest schedule among royals. From Spain's political standpoint, it's much smarter to be seen consoling vicitms of terrorism than out partying with other royals.

SRF clearly has their priority set on relationships more than just their royal counterparts even though they do send representatives to most of the royal gatherings. They seem to send representatives based on the rank. If it's a wedding for a crown prince/princess, Felipe and Letizia go. If it's a queen's birthday, it's Sofia. If it's a reigning king's or queen's special occasion, JC and Sofia go. They don't usually come out in force as some other royal families do.

Felipe and Letizia's priority when it comes to foreign visits is clearly Latin America. They attend all the presidential inaugurations and do official visits there at least once a year if I'm not mistaken. They also travel abroad a lot for opening of Cervante Institute centers. To say they don't travel abroad often is simply ignorant of their schedule. Spain is a larger country with many important foreign relationships to maintain. Relationship with their royal counterparts may be important to them but maintaining good relationships with Latin America is much more important to Spain.

Plus, they also have many more domestic activities. Larsen, you can be as sarcastic as you want but you can't deny they have one of the busiest schedule among royals. From Spain's political standpoint, it's much smarter to be seen consoling vicitms of terrorism than out partying with other royals.

I agree with you. I actually like their style when it comes to handling royal duties. They do attend parties however when a more important duty calls, they know how to prioritize things. Maybe the death of Spanish soldiers is the reason why the Queen cancelled her attendance to Queen Sonja's celebrations.:)

I thanks you for your very calm and accurate analysis of the Princes of Asturias' s works !

In fact it's very easy to be sacarstic about the Princes' works and to laugh about the way how they have to manage and organise their agenda.

At each time, for instance, I'm trying to put in evidence how is difficult their job because the politic situation in Spain - I think that ETA is not a very quiet affair!!!- because in particular the problems of all the autonome region, I have the feeling that seems for some of the participants as little trubbles and not structure's fights.... For the external situation too, it's clear that Spain is more involved in international crisis than the countries of the north of Europe; because of that, she has to pay some sad tribute for the respect of the human right freedom.

It's clear that it's true reasons for don't participate to private festivities of the European Royalty. That's all but it's yet muy important!!:angel:

If it's a wedding for a crown prince/princess, Felipe and Letizia go. If it's a queen's birthday, it's Sofia. If it's a reigning king's or queen's special occasion, JC and Sofia go. They don't usually come out in force as some other royal families do.
Not quite true, eg Jordan. The Queen was there and this was not a CP wedding as there is no CP at the moment in Jordan. It's down to the good relations between Spain & the Middle East. And sometimes they do come out in force as, eg Jordan, apart from the Queen (and the King, eg in Norway) one of the Infantas was on board too, plus hubby.

Back
Top Bottom