Engagement of Prince Felipe and Letizia Ortiz: November 1, 2003

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Polfoto 03-11-2003 -- 3 November 2003 -- Teatro Real (Royal Theatre) -- First appearnce in public of Prince Felipe of Spain and his fiancee, jouranlist Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano, two days after the news of their wedding engagement. The couple attended the concert of Rostropovich to honour Queen Sofia of Spain, who the day before, 2 November, celebrated her 65th birthday. Felipe of Spain were accompanied by other members of the Spanish royal family, including King Juan Carlos, Queen Sofia, Infanta Elena and her husband Jaime de Marichalar and the Queen's sister, Princess Irene of Greece.

Attachments

• fel_let_1.jpg
    fel_let_1.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 282
Polfoto 03-11-2003 -- 3 November 2003 -- Teatro Real (Royal Theatre) -- First appearnce in public of Prince Felipe of Spain and his fiancee, jouranlist Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano, two days after the news of their wedding engagement. The couple attended the concert of Rostropovich to honour Queen Sofia of Spain, who the day before, 2 November, celebrated her 65th birthday. Felipe of Spain were accompanied by other members of the Spanish royal family, including King Juan Carlos, Queen Sofia, Infanta Elena and her husband Jaime de Marichalar and the Queen's sister, Princess Irene of Greece.

Attachments

• hall_3.jpg
    hall_3.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 252

Attachments

• hall_3a.jpg
    hall_3a.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 322

Attachments

• hall_3b.jpg
    hall_3b.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 265

Attachments

• shaking_hands.jpg
    shaking_hands.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 246

Attachments

• car.jpg
    car.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 243
Alexandria  Posted: Nov 4th, 2003 - 7:05 pm

Polfoto 03-11-2003. Madrid-Spain. November 03 2003. First public appearance of Prince Felipe de Borbon and his wife to be Letizia Ortiz at a concert of Mstislav Rostropovich held at the Teatro Real for Queen Sofia's birthday.

That is one woman basking in the "honour" ...

My favourite picture so far, below.

Attachments

• ry_es_felipe_n_letizia_nov_02_2003foto3.jpeg
    ry_es_felipe_n_letizia_nov_02_2003foto3.jpeg
    16.7 KB · Views: 694
Alexandria  Posted: Nov 4th, 2003 - 7:15 pm

Felipe ... always seems to be holding her hand and is very gentle and affectionate towards her.

hmmm .... Denmark last month comes to mind.

www.hellomagazine.com

Crown Prince Felipe Steps Out With His New Fiancee

4 NOVEMBER 2003
Spain's Prince Felipe and his new fiancée have made their first public appearance together after announcing their engagement. The Crown Prince and TV presenter Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano took turns in speaking to reporters in the gardens of Felipe's new residence, which they will share after their wedding.

"I am very happy to be able to show how happy our engagement has made me and how in love I am with Letizia," said the 35-year-old prince. "We present ourselves here in love, with conviction, full of hope and devoted to serving Spain."

Later that evening the pair joined the rest of the royal family for a classical music recital at the Teatro Real. Upon taking their seats in the royal box, the newly-betrothed couple were greeted with a standing ovation from the rest of the audience.

Felipe first met his bride-to-be at a mutual friend's home in 2002. The 31-year-old is already a well-known figure in Spain, where she presents the state television company's evening news bulletin.

Although she is not of noble blood, her engagement to Felipe has been enthusiastically welcomed by Spanish society. The prince's previous relationship with Norwegian underwear model Eva Sannum was frowned upon in traditionalist circles.

The happy couple are expected to make their vows in Madrid's Almudena Cathedral early next summer.

Attachments

• engagement_dop2a.jpg
    engagement_dop2a.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 801
www.ibl.se - 11/03/2003. Prince Felipe and Letizia Ortiz pose for the first time since the announcement of their official engagement.

Attachments

• IBL_1.jpg
    IBL_1.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 797
www.ibl.se - 11/03/2003. Prince Felipe and Letizia Ortiz pose for the first time since the announcement of their official engagement.

Attachments

• IBL_2.jpg
    IBL_2.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 807

Attachments

• IBL_3.jpg
    IBL_3.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 668

Attachments

• IBL_4.jpg
    IBL_4.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 2,202

Attachments

• IBL_5.jpg
    IBL_5.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 766
Originally posted by King Christian@Nov 4th, 2003 - 7:14 pm

But to clarify what you just wrote, you are saying that King Juan Carlos ... has stated in an interview said that the two families (spanish and english) aren't close ? But apparently that didn't stop a dalliance with Princess Di ? ;)
No, King Car the 16th Gustav.

There wasn't any dalliance. They were just good friends. That's why I find it hard to believe that the Spanish RF would have looked down on Diana as a "mere" Earl's daughter. They welcomed her into their home on numerous ocassions.

S.

Sean.~  Posted: Nov 4th, 2003 - 8:51 pm

They welcomed her into their home on numerous ocassions.

And with the way this engagement is beginning, I get the impression the Spanish RF doesn't like dealing with "stuffed shirts". :)

Great pictures Alexandria! Letizia Ortiz is very beautiful and she seems to be a wonderful person. I hope that Felipe truly deserves her. Best of luck to both. :flower:

They look very good together (even though Felipe's face is starting to get pudgy; Dude: buccal fat liposuction - look into it).

He's very tall isn't he?! Does anyone know how tall she is? Beside him, she looks like an Oompa-loompa - albeit a very cute one.

Felipa has1,97 cm = 6 foot 5.6 inch and Letizia has (according to Hola) 1,75 cm = 5 foot 9 inch B)

They look sweet together..Letecia is very charming. She looks confident facing the cameras and the reporters for she is already used to it. That's her field and she is used to it already like facing and being photogenic. That's why many have good impressions on her.. :)

I understand while other royals find it hard first to adjust to their role of always being photographed or interviewed especially when they are interviewed in an ambush style (as what we call it here) or direct style! because they are not used to it. They were not born into the limelight directly, they lived simply and when they were married to a highly known person especially royals, that's the time they will adjust and find it normal in the future.. :) Though they will find it hard in the start but they will get used to it..

I find it so sweet that Felipe is always holding Letizia's hand, a most protective gesture even though she's used to being photographed, he still wants to protect her from all the cameras and reporters. Or that he simply wants to be close to her.

it's all so romantic and so sweet!!! I just love the way he's always looking at her and holding her hands. Giving her support and reassurance. I'm just green with envy :wacko:

Letizia is elegance and beautiful woman
Letizia and Felipe wish you best wishes and a happy new life

I think Letizia is shorter then 5'9". She had heals on in these pictures and she was still shorter then Queen Sofia. How tall is Sofia? I think Elena and Cristina are something like 5'10" or 5'11". Inaki is something like 6'6" and Felipe is 6'5". I don't know about Jaime, but he seems tall also. Someone on one of these boards said that she (herself) is 5'6" and her boyfriend is 6'5" and she comes up to him in the same height that Letizia comes up to Felipe. I don't know if the poster is counting heals or not. If she isn't counting heals then I'm guessing Letizia to be 5'3 or 4 or 5".

Hi Sylvia.

I remember seeing a photo of Pss Grace standing next to Queen Sofia and they were the same height. Grace was 5 ft. 6 inches, maybe 5ft 6 inches and 1/2. So, I think your guess of 5'4" to 5'5" is a good one (or maybe a little shorter). Still, she looks wonderful w/ Felipe.

In Hello magazine have a new special about the royal couple.hello

Letizia reminds me a little of English actress Alice Evans of 102 Dalmatians fame.

009018.jpeg

In profile Alice Evans and Letizia look very similar to me...

felipe14a.jpg

Attachments

• Alice.jpg
    Alice.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 851
I initially expressed my concern the other day that Letizia might have gotten a cool reception from her future in-laws, but I am very happy to see how things went the night of the concert. I was especially glad to see Elena give her a hug. Thank you for enlightening me about Queen Sophia's views on her children's potential spouses.
When I mentioned Princess Diana thought the family looked down on her....that may have been her misinterpretation, or her view of the past, tainted w/some bitterness (about most things....remember the Morton book interview).

Thank you everyone for posting all of these great pictures. Just a few days ago I had never heard of Letizia.

Back
Top Bottom