William and Kate: engagement and relationship rumours and musings 2005 - 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is now the busiest time in Mrs. Middleton's business and if a journalist from a reknown paper came up to her offering her a story in the business section, she probably would speak to him on saying these things during the conversation.
The more probable and supported by evidence version is that she did talk to a gossip columnist, imo in an (failed) attempt to make herself look good. I guess she needed to get that out of her system.
Your version of her being fooled by a 'faux' business editor and the imagined six paragraphs of conversation is nice creative writing but completely unsupported by the fact we have, unlike the plainest explanation. I don't agree with Ysbel's convoluted scenario of a preemptive media strike. Too much 'if' and 'could' and 'may' when we have had no indication whatsoever they have broken up.
I also don't believe this says anything about Will and Kate's relationship, it just says a lot about Carole.
For the record, I don't believe the relationship is over (even if I would love it to be). It makes no sense for William to leave such a comfortable relationship at the moment, unless there is another girl in the background.

PS: for those who say the Middleton's business has not profited from the media coverage: the kind of free publicity they got (and the inevitable increased traffic on their website) would have cost them several millions pounds in ad agency fee, considering it's akin to a worldwide campain.

I think this is now the busiest time in Mrs. Middleton's business...
Interesting scenario, Jo. While we're speculating, can I propose another?

A journalist introduces himself as a business reporter from the Telegraph and asks Ms. Middleton for an interview on her business. She says she's interested (it is after all the Christmas season) but she says she's concerned it will mostly be about her daughter's relationship with Prince William and she doesn't want to go into that. So she offers to the reporter what she wants to be the focus of the interview (maybe something about what her company can offer during the Christmas season that others can't, or tips for planning a holiday party, or the challenges that Internet businesses face meeting demand during the holiday season) or she asks the reporter what the planned focus of the interview is. The conversation goes on as the two work out what will be covered and Ms. Middleton still a bit concerned that Kate will still be the focus of the interview and restates that discussing Kate's relationship with William is offbounds. She doesn't mind if they mention that Kate is dating William, after all, that is why they're coming to her, but she doesn't want the interview and the article to focus on Kate. The reporter either assures her that she won't have to talk about Kate or says 'Listen, my editor will kill the story if I don't ask you some questions about Kate'. In that case, Ms. Middleton either agrees to consider the interview or she decides to turn it down. If the reporter is actually not the business reporter then Ms. Middleton figures out that the person has no clue about giving a business interview and ends the conversation right there.

Well obviously this scenario didn't happen, but it would have been the most logical one if a person claiming to be a business reporter asked Carole Middleton for an interview in a well-respected paper.

There is another scenario that I think may be more likely. A reporter from the Telegraph had previously approached her about doing a story about families of people that find themselves in the limelight and the effect the publicity has on other members of the family. Previously, Ms. Middleton has turned the offer down. Kate is still serious with William and the royals are a little paranoid about families of prospective girlfriends talking and she doesn't want to sabotage Kate's relationship with Wills. However, in the meantime her name has been dragged through the papers and its starting to affect her other children, and Kate is starting to have problems with William. At first it doesn't seem serious, but as time passes by, the maternal instinct tells her this relationship is on the rocks and about to end.

At this point, she and her family have been under press scrutiny for years and she personally has been the target of some pretty nasty press. Its affecting her other children and she may be angry as a mother with the way William has been acting towards her daughter and the perceived lack of support from the Royal Family. The free publicity helped in the beginning but while she got more hits on her website they didn't turn into appreciably increased sales which is what pays the bills. The only advantage to the whole press scrutiny, free publicity for the website is not turning into sales which with the downturn in the relationship is turning the whole scenario as a negative for the family.

So she decides that this is the time to do the interview, first because the reporter has been so sympathetic and understanding over time and secondly so she can say all the things that she's wanted to get off her chest but held off on, because it would hurt Kate's chances with William. She doesn't mention her thoughts about a breakup because she knows that will hit front page and will totally drive out what she wants to say about the effect all the press scrutiny has had on her family. She keeps the interview focused on her family and her business and her other children outside of Kate.

She gets her point across in the interview before a breakup announcement and its a pretty sympathetic article.

Well, I suppose that we will just have to wait and see if there is anything to all of this. No need to get all of our panties in a wad before there is something to talk about. And as of this moment, apart from the incessant discussion on Carole Middleton, these two young people have managed to stay out of the limelight for the most part in the past few months, so there is nothing of any real interest to talk about, unless we all want to go around in circles.

The three last posts, respectively, from Jo, Ysbel, and Idriel held me spellbound. The three of you came up with compelling, convincing scenarios/arguments, all so different from the others, yet each with its thought provoking rationality. I don't agree or disagree with any of you, but am fascinated with each post!! Big A ++ for Original Thoughts to all of you.

Idriel, you made a particularly interesting statement about William being unlikely to leave his comfortable situation with Kate. That is highly possible.

I think my previous post about their breakup being a certainty was tainted with some wishful thinking. It may seem like I'm being mean, but honestly I think both William and Kate might greatly be better off moving on from their relationship. But I will stop here because I am already in danger of placing too much judgment on them. I can't possibly know what is best for them. What I said is only how it seems to me.

The main problem from my point of view is that quite a few posters overlook the fact that this is not a boy meets girl situation, we are talking about the wife of the future prince of Wales who will be the future Queen of England, that may not be of much importance to non British people but it is very important to the British and Commonwealth populations. If Prince William was not going to be King of England I would be perfectly happy for them to marry (as much as anyone can be for two people I don´t know) but this is an entirely different situation. In my opinion and from what I have heard many more people than just me, think she is entirely unsuitable to be Queen. She is decorative, wears a hat very well, smiles, she obviously is to the liking of William he has kept her hanging on for so many years that there must be something about her he likes.
Perhaps he is one of those people who has great difficulty saying goodbye. If he is going to, the sooner he does it the better, as the longer he waits the more difficult for Kate it is going to be. I think he has left it very late already. I have no idea if he has any intention of marrying her, but there seems a distinct lack of body language between them. As they say, one loves and the other lets the other love......
There is something brewing, let us see what it is. An engagement soon, or Kate fading away into the sunset and another young lady being the focus of speculation.

94 pages and two years after the begining of this thread and all we can do is still speculate... I wonder how much longer will it be

94 pages and two years after the begining of this thread and all we can do is still speculate... I wonder how much longer will it be
that's nothing avrilo! have a look at the Daniel & Victoria thread in the Swedish section, it can go on an on and on for many more years ;)

Oh yes, I picked up on that part of it too. It had the tone of "Poor Carole Middleton...Poor gauche, crass, social-climbing Carole Middleton." Like those people who compliment you by saying, "Oh you look lovely today"--implying that normally you don't look lovely.:D

Having just read this for the first time my take on it is slightly different, it is the typical tongue in the cheek writing you get in a newspaper like that. It has managed to sound sympathetic towards her but has managed to put all the so called "faux pas" that she is supposed to have committed

In regards to the interview, quite an odd thing to have done. First of all the denying of celebrity...did I miss something, who has asked her to be a celebrity, she's only known because her daughter is dating someone of interest. She or her daughter have accomplished nothing that would lead them to being celebrated. Although I guess in the day of reality shows and paparazzi's I can see where people get the wrong idea.

After complaining about it she starts mentioning her other children's and her own merits. If you want to be left alone then don't mention it. So your son is doing some start ups (after having left university), so why are you trying to seek attention for him? Let him stand on his own two feet instead of his sister's limelight.

I know I've mentioned this before but how could she not know who she was talking to. It's like when Kate said she didn't know she would be on the cover of a newspaper, then why did you let someone take a photo of you.

hmm Im still not sure if it WAS an interview and if it was then it was a cry in the darkness as the relationship must be over. And I personally dont know if that is for good or for ill. Certainly I think Kate could do better but I dont think PW could so whatever I hope they are happy with their choices and they have made their own choices and not let the media influence them

It doesn't have the "feel" of an interview to me. I think that perhaps Mrs. Middleton was approached by someone, expressed some opinions, and then it ended up in the newspaper.

hmm Im still not sure if it WAS an interview and if it was then it was a cry in the darkness as the relationship must be over. And I personally dont know if that is for good or for ill. Certainly I think Kate could do better but I dont think PW could so whatever I hope they are happy with their choices and they have made their own choices and not let the media influence them

It doesn't have the "feel" of an interview to me. I think that perhaps Mrs. Middleton was approached by someone, expressed some opinions, and then it ended up in the newspaper.

It may have been someone dressed up as a rich Arab wanting to buy enormous quantities of paper hats, and party favours. Makes one think of what happened to Marie Christine of Kent. :lol:

Exactly my thoughts!

The more probable and supported by evidence version is that she did talk to a gossip columnist, imo in an (failed) attempt to make herself look good. I guess she needed to get that out of her system.

I believe this to be one of the reasons for Mrs. Middleton's talked to a gossip columnist.

For the record, I don't believe the relationship is over (even if I would love it to be). It makes no sense for William to leave such a comfortable relationship at the moment, unless there is another girl in the background.

PS: for those who say the Middleton's business has not profited from the media coverage: the kind of free publicity they got (and the inevitable increased traffic on their website) would have cost them several millions pounds in ad agency fee, considering it's akin to a worldwide campain.

Yes, I agree with all of the above. I truly think Party Pieces and Catherine's sibblings (as any business in a worldwide recession) would profit from media coverage. Do you guys remember the photo of the staff of Party Pieces on their website about a month or so ago? That sure must have help sales. :)

My own view is that they will eventually get married .By putting off a wedding for as long as they can they mimimize the amount of media frenzy that they have to live with.The media pays attention to them now but nothing compared to what would happen if they were married.They'll only get married when they want to have kids or live together more formally.As it is now William is away alot with his military training and that would leave Kate at home alone ,and we all know how badly that worked out for Andrew and Sarah.Until he has a smaller time committment with the military she is probably happier living with her family and seeing William whenever he has time off.There is no positive reason for them to get married now.

I have just come home from doing my shopping and while waiting to be served at the supermarket I picked up and read that most reliable ;) :ROFLMAO: of Australian magazines "New Idea". This magazine has William and Kate on the cover and quotes the usual 'unnamed palace source' as saying that the reason they are keeping a low profile at the moment is that this is the last chance they will get as .... wait for it .... she is going to Sandringham this Christmas because the engagement is going to be announced at Christmas.

This is the same magazine that broke the story about Harry last January - some 7 - 8 weeks before other sources.

This magazine, also a couple of weeks ago, says that Camilla is scared that Kate will 'beat' her to the throne (as the only way Kate beats Camilla to the throne is if Charles doesn't get there it seems a false argument to me but .... it sells magazines and many women who read it will believe it, unfortunately.).

Well that is this week's installment from New Idea for anyone who is interested.

Actually the argument makes sense - but .... I will wait and see as we all must.

I wonder if the editor of this magazine majored in creative writing at uni? :ROFLMAO:

Not long to wait now. I used to love to do the large crossword puzzle in New Idea and some of the stories they manage to publish are quite amazing. Christmas is nearly here and Sandringham looms, let us see.

I have this vision of Kate and Camilla in the Throne Room, decked out in tiaras and evening dresses, bent over in runner's form while one of the "grey men" stands there with a starter's pistol!:lol:

This magazine, also a couple of weeks ago, says that Camilla is scared that Kate will 'beat' her to the throne

Yes, Christmas looms. We'll have to wait and see.;)

Oh Mermaid, my keyboard got spluttered with my evening coffee. The idea of them ready to race is so funny. One of them (?) has a very determined expression and is out to win by hook or by crook.

Hmm place your bets people :D:D all profits to charity of the winning ladies choice of course, :lol: the race is on but my bet is on QE2 disqualifying anyone she deems to be 'underweight' or a 'ring in':cool: The Future Queen of England will have her approval thats for certain.

I can see someone doing a sketch like this. Just remember: if you see it, it was my idea first. I demand royalty payments (pardon the pun)!!!:ROFLMAO:

Oh Mermaid, my keyboard got spluttered with my evening coffee. The idea of them ready to race is so funny. One of them (?) has a very determined expression and is out to win by hook or by crook.

I have just come home from doing my shopping and while waiting to be served at the supermarket I picked up and read that most reliable ;) :ROFLMAO: of Australian magazines "New Idea". This magazine has William and Kate on the cover and quotes the usual 'unnamed palace source' as saying that the reason they are keeping a low profile at the moment is that this is the last chance they will get as .... wait for it .... she is going to Sandringham this Christmas because the engagement is going to be announced at Christmas.

Hmmm, I saw that magazine when I was shopping the other day, but I didn't deign to pick it up. :lol: After so many years of other such "Kate and Will's Wedding Joy" stories gracing the covers of women's magazines, I've grown just a wee bit skeptical of it all. . . (note the sarcasm). Oh well, it will be interesting to see there is any announcement this Christmas, though of course I seriously doubt it. :)

Wouldn't it be funny if there is an engagement announced in the next few weeks and we all look back to our cynical, disbelieving posts that we're all posting just now and shake our heads in wonderment and amusement. . . not that such a scenario is at all likely, but still, imagine the irony of it! :rolleyes:

Given the frequency of predictions, one of them eventually has to be right.

Hmmm, I saw that magazine when I was shopping the other day, but I didn't deign to pick it up. :lol: After so many years of other such "Kate and Will's Wedding Joy" stories gracing the covers of women's magazines, I've grown just a wee bit skeptical of it all. . . (note the sarcasm). Oh well, it will be interesting to see there is any announcement this Christmas, though of course I seriously doubt it. :)

Wouldn't it be funny if there is an engagement announced in the next few weeks and we all look back to our cynical, disbelieving posts that we're all posting just now and shake our heads in wonderment and amusement. . . not that such a scenario is at all likely, but still, imagine the irony of it! :rolleyes:

I only ever read them if I have to wait in the queue at the supermarket so I will probably get to read quite a few over the next few weeks in the lead up to Christmas and then the post-Christmas sales.

I do have a friend who insists on buying them and believing everything that they write in there - even when they contradict themsevles over something:lol: but the consequence is that if there are ever 'royal' stories she makes sure that I see it.

Given the frequency of predictions, one of them eventually has to be right.

Yes, but which prediction will be correct? :) Speculation is fun, but it's also maddening at times, especially in cases like this when we've waited so many years!

Yes, but which prediction will be correct? :) Speculation is fun, but it's also maddening at times, especially in cases like this when we've waited so many years!

But not as long as Katie!

But not as long as Katie!

Why can't these two make up their minds? Don't they have a sense of duty to our voyeuristic tendencies, to come out with a decision, so we can get on with speculating about the details of the wedding, titles, protocol......... :)

Why can't these two make up their minds? Don't they have a sense of duty to our voyeuristic tendencies, to come out with a decision, so we can get on with speculating about the details of the wedding, titles, protocol......... :)

You forgot, who is going to get an invitation, who is going to make the dress, what is the dress going to look like, which tiara will the Queen lend her(sorry perhaps she will wear the Middleton family tiara) etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom