Who's the nicest Royal Mother in Law?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Who is the nicest royal Mother-in-Law?

• Queen Paola of Belgium

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Empress Michiko of Japan

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Queen Margrethe of Denmark

Votes: 58 17.8%
  • Queen Noor of Jordan

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Queen Elizabeth of the United Kingdom

Votes: 20 6.2%
  • Princess Marie of Liechtenstein

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Queen Sabika of Bahrain

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Queen Sofía of Spain

Votes: 88 27.1%
  • Queen Sonja of Norway

Votes: 30 9.2%
  • Grand Duchess Maria Teresa of Luxembourg

Votes: 21 6.5%
  • Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands

Votes: 76 23.4%
  • Queen Anne-Marie of Greece

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • Queen Anne of Romania

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Queen Saleha of Brunei

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 4 1.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My vote goes to HM Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands.

I voted for Grand Duchess Maria-Teresa, she seems to have a wonderful relationship with Tessy and seems to have taken a lot of what has happened in her life with a lot of grace! A close second would have to be Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands!!!!

I am truly surprised by how many people chose Queen Sofia. She has always struck me as a formidable and reserved person. I've never sensed an extraordinary amount of warmth from her towards Letizia, and I can't forget all those rumors about how she and the King were less than thrilled with Felipe's choice of a wife, just because no one was ever going to be really good enough for them. (I remember people commenting that the King and Queen looked morose at the wedding.)

And most of all, I think the King and Queen's refusal to let Letizia ever do anything of substance indicates that they do not have much respect for her. All of the other Crown Princesses have their own projects and causes, give speeches, perform solo engagements, and earn respect through it. Letizia gets to do nothing. During her engagement, Letizia talked about using her journalistic skills as CP, so I don't believe she's in her current position by choice.

By the same measure, I rank the best mother-in-laws as Beatrix & Margrethe for respecting and trusting their daughters-in-law enough to let them flourish. Beatrix, in particular, has given Maxima an extraordinary amount of freedom to be involved in controversial issues like cultural integration and gay rights, and does not seem to resent that Maxima is the most popular member of the royal family.

I vote for Queen sofia

Last edited:
Queen Beatrix and Queen Sofia appear to have the warmest relationships with their daughter in laws. The image of Queen Beatrix with her family taken with shortly after the birth of Princess Ariane seems to say it all.

I am truly surprised by how many people chose Queen Sofia. She has always struck me as a formidable and reserved person. I've never sensed an extraordinary amount of warmth from her towards Letizia, and I can't forget all those rumors about how she and the King were less than thrilled with Felipe's choice of a wife, just because no one was ever going to be really good enough for them. (I remember people commenting that the King and Queen looked morose at the wedding.)

And most of all, I think the King and Queen's refusal to let Letizia ever do anything of substance indicates that they do not have much respect for her. All of the other Crown Princesses have their own projects and causes, give speeches, perform solo engagements, and earn respect through it. Letizia gets to do nothing. During her engagement, Letizia talked about using her journalistic skills as CP, so I don't believe she's in her current position by choice.

By the same measure, I rank the best mother-in-laws as Beatrix & Margrethe for respecting and trusting their daughters-in-law enough to let them flourish. Beatrix, in particular, has given Maxima an extraordinary amount of freedom to be involved in controversial issues like cultural integration and gay rights, and does not seem to resent that Maxima is the most popular member of the royal family.

Seriously you're surprised so many people vote for Sofia? If you've never sensed an extraordinary amount of warmth from her towards Letizia, then you missed a lot. Just check out all the pictures of the 2 women together. Sofia has really taken Letizia under her wing in the most sweet way, and has treated Letizia as her own daughter. There's no picture with the 2 of them on it which does not show extraordinary amount of warmth and love of Sofia towards Letizia and it's very visible Letizia adores, loves and respects her mother-in-law, they have a great relationship!

QEII not sure why.

i think princess anne would be a great mom inlaw

Queen Beatrix seems the most welcoming towards her daughters-in-law. She always appears to enjoy their company when in public. She is certainly generous in allowing them access to the jewelry.

If I remember correctly, Maxima wore a tiara or two prior to her wedding. I thought that was very kind of Her Majesty.

Seriously you're surprised so many people vote for Sofia? If you've never sensed an extraordinary amount of warmth from her towards Letizia, then you missed a lot. Just check out all the pictures of the 2 women together. Sofia has really taken Letizia under her wing in the most sweet way, and has treated Letizia as her own daughter. There's no picture with the 2 of them on it which does not show extraordinary amount of warmth and love of Sofia towards Letizia and it's very visible Letizia adores, loves and respects her mother-in-law, they have a great relationship!

We must not forget that first and foremost Sofia, for me apart from QEII the most professional Queen around, is interested in the survival of the fragile spanish monarchy and Letizia making her way is a crucial factor. I don't know whether they truly get along in reality as pictures try to make us believe but Sofia is certainly clever enough to give utmost support because everything else would mean a desaster, not only for the monarchy but also for Sofia herself, putting her relationship with her son and grandchildren at risk.

I voted for Beatrix - I see having her the best relation to all her daughters in law.

my prefer
Queen Beatrix
Queen Sofia
Queen Paola

She isn't properly a mother-in-law, but I think Queen Fabiola...

I think from what I have read and pictures/video I have seen:
1. Queen Beatrix
2. Queen Sonja of Norway

I think that Queen Sofia seems like a great mother-in-law but I voted for Grand Duchess Maria Teresa. She seems very down to earth and loving.

Sonja, Sofía and Beatrix.
The Empress of Japan also must be an excellent mother-in-law.
And Silvia of Sweden isn´t a mother-in-law yet, but I´m sure that she will be fantastic!!;)

I think Queen Sofia of Spain is the nicest Royal Mother in Law. She's a great mother & a great queen!

Queen Sofia

I think it is Queen Sofia of Spain

Queen Margrethe for me - I love the way she interacts with Mary. They seem to have a lot of fun together and a warm relationship. :flowers:

The Queen and the Princess of Wales' relationship wasn't bad they were on speaking terms before the Princess died.

What you need to remember here was that whereas the Queen is a country person at heart, Diana was much more a town/city person. Their different personalities caused friction because HM always believes that duty must take precedence over personal feelings: a belief that neither Charles nor Diana shared. Now Diana did have a sense of duty but she interpreted it in her own way, which went against the establishment. There was also the difference in the upbringings of the Queen and those of Diana and Sarah.

Sarah had a sense of fun but she didn't seem able to judge when things had gone too far.

The Queen was kind to Diana: bending rules, excusing indiscretions, overlooking outbursts, noting grievances and making allowances for illness, so I think HM is the nicest royal mother-in-law I know enough about to comment on.

I'd say Queen Elizabeth as well. The Queens Beatrix, Sofia, Margrethe, Silvia and Sonja, the Grand Duchess Maria Teresa and Empress Michiko seem nice really nice too but I think the Queen makes the best mother-in-law. I think there's more to her than what we see.

Queen Margrethe, Queen Sofia and Queen Sonja.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom