The Public's Expectations of Kate as William's Girlfriend

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Elspeth said:
The days when a prince can have a princess as his wife to bear children and accompany him to official engagements, while he has a mistress for his emotional and sexual needs, are long gone thanks to the intrusiveness of the press.

Then it seems the press have some uses afterall.

BeatrixFan said:
Quite forced and rather unattractive.

i can't say that it looks forced but everyone can read facial expressions a bit differently. but in all fairness i will say that not everyone can just "smile for the cameras" and look relaxed and natural. photography is a hobby of mine and i can say that i've seen a LOT of people who do not look natural when smiling for the camera, they need to either have something to make them laugh or not even attempt a smile. perhaps catherine falls into this category.

If Catherine scowls at the press, she gets extra points from me! :lol: :ROFLMAO: (I must remember to buy her pepper spray for christmas)! :lol:

maybe we could also get her one of those little masks that covers only her mouth, with a big toothy smile on it and she can always wear it out in public.

Perhaps we should all take note that this is a young lady you has feelings like the rest of us and becuase she doesn't wear them on her sleeve does not make her any less susceptible to feeling overwhelmed and no doubt at times dismayed by comments made by those of us who feel we can negatively judge her character based on what exactly? A few photo's here and there.

'For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use..." Something I often reflect upon. Not so much for its biblical reference (though it certainly does play part) rather the truth in such a statement.

Last edited:
If William is happy with Catherine, then good luck. She may not have aristocratic breeding but, she seems to act with a decorum that is sadly lacking in most sections of todays society.

Thank you. People find love in different places, and if William has found love with a middle class girl instead of an aristocratic one, good for him for choosing someone who knows what manners and etiquette are. I'm a 22 year old who is disgusted with what the majority of people my age do and how they behave, and I'm glad to see someone who shows respect and seems to have some dignity with Prince William, as opposed to certain other royal girlfriends who have no sense of self-respect. Just my opinion, though.

Skydragon said:
If Catherine scowls at the press, she gets extra points from me! :lol: :ROFLMAO: (I must remember to buy her pepper spray for christmas)! :lol:

Same for me (I mean extra points). I don't think I would like if she started 'flirting' with the press or posing for the photographers. And I also like the fact we know so little about her. It's really remarkable - to date the future King and manage to keep personal life private.

Avalon said:
It's really remarkable - to date the future King and manage to keep personal life private.

If you look at it like that, she is truly an exceptional young woman! :clap:

Absolutely. Skydragon, Avalon, Politkgirl, Madame Royale, and anyone else here who doesn't bash away at Kate for breathing, good show.:flowers:

Luv2Cruise said:
... and anyone else here who doesn't bash away at Kate for breathing, good show. :flowers:
Maybe part of the problem is that today's "celebrity culture" leads many people to expect that someone in the public eye should be open and forthcoming with the most intimate details of their private lives. To the seeming frustration of some members, Kate/Catherine chooses not to play the game this way.

While it's common these days for people to willingly allow and encourage media intrusion into their lives to fuel and sustain "public interest", her sense of discretion and reticence seems to be an alien and puzzling concept to some of her observers. Perhaps they'd be happier if she had her own blog. :D

I think you're right, Warren. I frequently read how press stories are not to be believed if there are no photographs. For example, they won't believe the Sandringham invite story if they don't see pictures. What -- will Clarence House release a Christmas photo of Kate on William's lap in front of the Christmas tree having tea with the Queen and Phillip? Absolutely mind boggling.:lol:

Perhaps one of Catherine passing the gravey at the dinner table :lol:

Warren said:
Perhaps they'd be happier if she had her own blog. :D

Perhaps she will sign up for Oprah or Trisha, bare her soul with tales of why her parents wouldn't let her buy two dresses instead of one and how it has ruined her life! :rolleyes: :lol:

i hope no one took my comment to mean that i thought of kate in a negative way. i feel the same about her as most of you do. i just joking and meant that perhaps since she doesn't feel the need to have a smile on her face all the time the mask would satisfy those who want one. sorry if it didn't come across the way it should have. :)

The BRF has looked down on their European counterparts for so long that they actually think Kate, with her leisurely lifestyle, is suitable as the next PoW and queen of England. I mean, look at the current PoW and queen contender.:yuk: They are at the bottom of the totem pole, they just don't know it. The bicycle monarchies have passed them by with their hard-working princesses. Their work ethic was clearly instilled and practiced before they became princesses and future queens.:flowers:

There's nothing wrong with the current Prince and Princess of Wales. I think you'll find they work a damn sight harder than their European counterparts. Charles does alot more than Frederik does. We're very very lucky to have Charles and Camilla, that's why it'll be a shame to go from the best King and Queen (Charles and Camilla) in our history to the worst (Wills and Kate).

Sometime you're going to have to explain why William is so certain to be a worse king than the likes of Edward II and Henry VI.

Well I would but seeing as it wouldn't go down at all well to say exactly why, I think I'll keep you guessing.

This speculation is so pathetic! Just remember what happened to Diana and ask yourself whether you really need to know about it every time Kate takes out the trash. IF and when there is an announcement, we'll know about it! Until then doesn't Kate deserve a bit of privacy. She's not on the national payroll yet so it's not like we're "entitled".

qui mal y pense said:
This speculation is so pathetic! Just remember what happened to Diana and ask yourself whether you really need to know about it every time Kate takes out the trash. IF and when there is an announcement, we'll know about it! Until then doesn't Kate deserve a bit of privacy. She's not on the national payroll yet so it's not like we're "entitled".
This is what I don't get about her and people who feel she deserves privacy. She does not deserve any privacy. Sure, she doesn't deserve to be mistreated, stalked or run off the road. But she is dating Prince William. And frankly it is her scowling facial expressions coupled with her lack of work for the last 18 months that has utterly turned me off from her. Her ungraciousness is very ugly, imho. I hope she fades away in time and William finds someone friendlier and more motivated to marry.

qui mal y pense said:

Very well said but, I have a feeling that those that hounded Diana to her death with the 'I want pictures/details' attitude will not take any notice. I think if any of us were being stalked by photographers, we would not be happy about it, I think she is doing remarkably well! :flowers:

Laviollette said:
She does not deserve any privacy.

To bring it to an absurde point, but reacting to the "any" remark: You mean, if you met her by chance in the restrooms of a London restaurant, you would feel she has to let her door open so anybody could see her while the door to your stall is firmly closed as you deserve privacy and she has no right to it?:ermm:

qui mal y pense said:

I think EVERY PERSON deserves privacy. That is why we put curtains in our windows. I would ask you if you dont deserve privacy¿ would you like havin your neihors checkin out every move you make¿ The truth is that like her or not she sells papers, so the press is on her. And despite I participated in the discussion I remember all this is a thread for events, not discussions on Kate´s whatever we feel like to discuss

Laviollette said:
This is what I don't get about her and people who feel she deserves privacy. She does not deserve any privacy. Sure, she doesn't deserve to be mistreated, stalked or run off the road. But she is dating Prince William. And frankly it is her scowling facial expressions coupled with her lack of work for the last 18 months that has utterly turned me off from her. Her ungraciousness is very ugly, imho. I hope she fades away in time and William finds someone friendlier and more motivated to marry.

you're right in one sense...being out in public makes you fare game for photographers so expecting privacy when you're walking down the street is a moot point but she does have every right to expect privacy when it's appropriate no matter who she's dating. so far the photos of her haven't invaded her privacy but neither have they told us anything about the kind of person she is and saying that she's ungracious, unfriendly and unmotivated are simply assumptions on your part. I've seen a lot of photos and she's never had a scowl on her face...she's not smiling in a lot of them but she's certainly never scowling. if you have a pic of her scowling i'd love to see (seriously, i'm not being facetious)

Laviollette said:

I don't see why it is anyone's business if Kate has never worked a day in her life- (BTW Has Camilla ever held a job?) If she can afford to shop all day then power to her, I'm jealous. As far as her being ungracious and unfriendly- That is exactly what makes Kate appealing- she isn't chasing the limelight. She doesn't put things in front of her face, or scream at the photographers nastily. She just always keeps her cool and minds her own business- perfect! As for her being ugly- she may not be Diana, but doesn't that make you respect William for seeking more than just a pretty face!

qui mal y pense said:
I don't see why it is anyone's business if Kate has never worked a day in her life- (BTW Has Camilla ever held a job?)

Absolutely right. She is not obliged to work or not to work just to satisfy us. And she does not live from OUR money:mad:

qui mal y pense said:
I As far as her being ungracious and unfriendly- !

How we can know if she is unfriendly??? We never met her.:sad:

qui mal y pense said:
I As for her being ugly- she may not be Diana, but doesn't that make you respect William for seeking more than just a pretty face!
I'm sorry that Kate now, is much much prettier than the Diana in the early times of her marriage. Diana'a beauty explosed after her 30ies - 32s, but in her 20s she was nothing nothing special, and if you look at hern style.......:bang: :bang: a tragedy

fandesacs2003 said:
Absolutely right. She is not obliged to work or not to work just to satisfy us. And she does not live from OUR money:mad:
Iam just curious as to what are your expectations from a Princess of Wales? I, for one, am not going to be happy if a Princess has never worked a day in her life, is constantly photographed being on yatches, leaving clubs, dancing around with her boyfriends friends...But that is something which I would not like to see. You are absolutely right, when you say that Kate is not obliged to work. I would just like her to show a bit more work ethic. Just show that she realizes money is hard to make. By the way things are going, it seem to me that is quite spoiled.

fandesacs2003 said:
How we can know if she is unfriendly??? We never met her.:sad:
You know at this point, what you believe or what I believe is based on rumors, photos and what the press says about her. Both of our opinions can not be taken as facts. You don't think she is unfriendly, but I look at all the pictures of her, (showing the finger to the pappz etc.) and get something different.

fandesacs2003 said:
I'm sorry that Kate now, is much much prettier than the Diana in the early times of her marriage. Diana'a beauty explosed after her 30ies - 32s, but in her 20s she was nothing nothing special, and if you look at hern style.......:bang: :bang: a tragedy
It interesting, how you have chosen to comment on Diana, on nothing more than materialistic attributes. I am not going to judge Kate on how "pretty" she is etc. All I ask for is solid ethical actions from her side.
Anyways, I sincerly hope you do not take my comments offensively. You had some good point.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Kendra said:
Iam just curious as to what are your expectations from a Princess of Wales? I, for one, am not going to be happy if a Princess has never worked a day in her life, is constantly photographed being on yatches, leaving clubs, dancing around with her boyfriends friends...But that is something which I would not like to see. You are absolutely right, when you say that Kate is not obliged to work. I would just like her to show a bit more work ethic. Just show that she realizes money is hard to make. By the way things are going, it seem to me that is quite spoiled.

The Queen Mother never worked a day in her life, The Queen has never 'worked' a day in her life, Princess Margaret never worked a day in her life. As long as 'my' princess of wales is discreet, well mannered, well behaved and not publicity hungry, she will be OK by me.
When your parents are fairly wealthy, it would be impossible to realise that for some, money is hard to make.

Remember that "working" is a middle and lower class necessity. For the upper class it is voluntary. To work or not to work is therefore irrelevant to the future wife of Prince William as "working" is not considered a character building activity.

This thread is now open again, and I've moved some posts from the current-events thread here. Please keep the discussion civil so we can continue to have it open.

Thank you.

Elspeth

British Royals moderator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom