The Nobel Prize 2002 - 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sister Morphine said:
This picture of Victoria is alarming to me for some reason. Her face particularly, looks absolutely skeletal. Maybe it's just lighting/camera angle or something, but she looks really, really bad. I know she had issues with eating disorders in the past, and I sincerely hope it's not rearing its ugly head again.

I was thinking a little back how great Victoria looked. I hope she isn't relapsing, too. I'm keeping my finger crossed.

but this isnt the dress for this year! wasnt madeleine wearing black and victoria pink/red?

cd_1 said:
but this isnt the dress for this year! wasnt madeleine wearing black and victoria pink/red?

There were two seperate events. One where Madeleine wore dark blue and Victoria wore red, and another where Madeleine wore a light blue and Victoria wore a light blue as well. They are both from this year.

sm1939 said:
I thought victoria looked fab !! didnt much like Madeliene, really dont like loose fitting dress's much .
i think the dark blue ''pregnancy'' dress Madeleine was wearing is supposed to hide her waist and the fact that she's been living in New York for the past year. For some reason, gravity or whatever, one tends to gain weight there.

The first half of the article translated with Systran and my modifications (to make it comprehensible) (The last part of the article doesn't involve the princesses).

They weren't allowed to go on the after-party

(Text under the princess picture) WANTED TO PARTY but Silvia said no enlig the physics prizewinner George F Smoot.

(Small pictures from the after-party)

Silvia was firm to Madeleine and Victoria
Victoria and Madeleine were stopped from Nobelbankettens exclusive after-party this night.
Queen Silvia did not want that kungabarnen (the king's children) went to the wild party.
- Madeleine wanted actually to come, says the physics prizewinner George F Smoot.
Aftonbladet met him during the exclusive after-party ''Noble Night Cap'' in the School of Businesses of Stockholm this night.
He disclosed that Madeleine, that where his lady dinner partner during the dinner, gladly had partied further with the prizewinners.
- both Madeleine and Victoria wanted to go, but the queen stopped them. She did not want to to see her children on such a untidy party. Moreover, Victoria was to get up early and study hard, says he.

Until five this morning
At mdnight the selected guests left the Nobelfesten.
Kungafamiljen (the royal family), the noble prizewinners and a few other prominent guests around the table of honour (the main table) each invited persons from the business community, the parliament and the government.
- very few and specially selected guests are allowed to this party in order for the prizewinners to relax and actually to enjoy that the won a Nobel prize, says party director Erik Nilsson.

Thank you!!!

I think its very funny that the princesses heard about what her mother say.

Perhaps Queen Silvia was worried going to a party like that might give the Princesses a bad reputation or get negitive press even though I do not see why they could have not attended. After all they are sensible young ladies and would never do anything to give themselves a bad name.

or perhaps the somewhat ... eh let's say jovial Nobel Prize Winner that Aftonbladet met at some point in the night, simply felt so enchanted by princess Madeleine, and so his remarks were cut right out as headlines.

Besides, it sounds better / more appropriate for princess Madeleine to say to him ''no I can't go to the afterparty because my mom forbids me'' rather than ''no I don't wanna see drunken Noble Prize Winners who behave like they never seen booze before, I've seen it once before and the impression last for a lifetime, thank you very much''.

Daneborn said:
or perhaps the somewhat ... eh let's say jovial Nobel Prize Winner that Aftonbladet met at some point in the night, simply felt so enchanted by princess Madeleine, and so his remarks were cut right out as headlines.

Besides, it sounds better / more appropriate for princess Madeleine to say to him ''no I can't go to the afterparty because my mom forbids me'' rather than ''no I don't wanna see drunken Noble Prize Winners who behave like they never seen booze before, I've seen it once before and the impression last for a lifetime, thank you very much''.

:lol: Yes, I could also imagine it was Madeleine´s (and Victoria´s) gallant way of saying no and passing the puck to Momma.
The interesting thing about this story is though, that not many seem to have problems to believe it. :lol: And IMO this is the result of maaaany "Mamma says this", "Mamma says that..." and "Pappa would be not amused..." statements (done by all three of Silvia´s children), of Victoria living very close to her parents, of Victoria coming up with her doggy as the person, she is in love with. The Bernadottes seem like a close nuclear family and I admire this really. But sometimes I wonder, when and if Victoria, who soon will turn 30 will ever "grow up". Of course it´s the same about Carl Philip and Madeleine...

That's so cute how Madeleine and Victoria still listen to there Mom. I bet that Silvia stills talks to them like they were five-year-olds.

Maybe she would've let them go if Carl Philip went with them?

Errhh... well. I'm rather late with my comments on this year's Nobel festivities featuring my favorite Royal Family because I hae been so busy, but here I go, regarding the main ceremony:
Queen Silvia:
A daring choice. Not a great dress by any means but I admire her for being unpredictable. Last year, she looked too much like the Royal Matriarch... this year, she went for something new. I can't help but like that gown, as strange as it looks at first view... it grows on me really. Those pleats and the back view show some dress maker's expertise... The dress looked much better on TV than it photographed on pics because the fabric was floating nicely, IMHO.
CP Victoria: So nice, such a great color, the tiara that suits her best... but predictable and somewhat boring. She still needs to find her own style I think... those Lars Wallin dresses are fine but they don't allow for any individuality...
Princess Lilian: Great. What a classy lady... I don't care at all if anybody thinks she's showing too much cleavage at her age - she's just looking fabulous. Great color, great fabric, great appearance...
Princess Madeleine: Close to perfection. Wonderful dress, just the right combination in-between of being fashionable and still presenting a Royal look.
Princess Christina: Terrible. The steel-cut tiara just looks awful with the pink topaz demi-parure...
This might not have been one of the best Nobel's, but it certainly was a most interesting one!

The royal family is representing Sweden and its monarchy at the Nobel festivities. The late gathering is for certain guests to let loose. It would not be appropriate for any member of the royal family to attend. I applaud Silvia for maintaining the royal standard at official functions. She has an excellent judgement of when to be royal and when not to be.

I think Madeleine looked great in the dark blue dress but I think the light blue was too big. I did not like her hairstyle in either dress. Victoria looked pretty but she seems like she has lost weight and does not look as healthy as Madeleine.
As far as them listening to their mom, I think that since they are royalty they pretty much have to listen because they have to meet the royal standard not unless they rebel against their mom and make the family look bad. No, they are not those kind of girls. I think Silvia knows what she is doing and she told them that for a good reason.

I just wish that people would get off of CP about the dresses. I think it's more important that she takes her duties seriously as the CP. I know that the monarchy's role in today's world is ceremonial, but as long as she's dressed appropriately, then it's okay with me that she recycles dresses. Maybe she's more concerned with important things. The poor thing is already plain compared to her siblings that it really doesn't matter what she wears. And to me sometimes Madeleine looks like an ompa loompa from the Wizard of Oz movie. She should give the tanning cream a rest.

grevinnan said:
The royal family is representing Sweden and its monarchy at the Nobel festivities. The late gathering is for certain guests to let loose. It would not be appropriate for any member of the royal family to attend. I applaud Silvia for maintaining the royal standard at official functions. She has an excellent judgement of when to be royal and when not to be.

Silvia´s excellent judgement must always fail, when Madeleine is celebrating with the Stureplan brats gang :rolleyes:
Better to party with the elite in brain work, than with a crowd of ppl, who even doesn´t know, how to spell "hard work"

Lena said:
Silvia´s excellent judgement must always fail, when Madeleine is celebrating with the Stureplan brats gang :rolleyes:
Better to party with the elite in brain work, than with a crowd of ppl, who even doesn´t know, how to spell "hard work"
I agree going to a party with the smartest people in the world where the press is not allowed would hardly be scandalous, I would be delighted if my daughter wanted to talk more to the nobel laureate in physics, compared to their usual crowd who conists of inherited money and people working in TV/the club scene/interior decorating. Some new impulses would hardly hurt.

I really don't know why a discussion about who of the Swedish Royal Couple's children is socializing with whoever would be an important issue... compared to other Royal Families, they are all doing pretty well IMHO!
Reverting to the original subject of this thread - the 2006 Nobel festivities - I noted that Queen Silvia wore part of the amethyst parure along with the Connaught tiara for the 2nd dinner, putting on the amethyst necklace without its pendant, and Princess Madeleine wore the sapphire brooch from the Leuchtenberg parure as a pendant on her diamond necklace - a first for the both of them, I believe.
I agree that Princess Madeleine's light blue dress on the 2nd night didn't fit too well but it's still a very nice gown.
Maybe the pure speculaton about Mother/Daughter talk could give way to just looking at pics and commenting on them...?

I loved Madelines look for the Awards. Her hair was amazing. She outshined Victoria. I have seen that look on her too many times. Its alright, but for such an importent event there should be something new. Also, Princess Lillian blows me away. She is the very essence of royalty.

afro1920 said:
I just wish that people would get off of CP about the dresses. I think it's more important that she takes her duties seriously as the CP. I know that the monarchy's role in today's world is ceremonial, but as long as she's dressed appropriately, then it's okay with me that she recycles dresses. Maybe she's more concerned with important things. The poor thing is already plain compared to her siblings that it really doesn't matter what she wears. And to me sometimes Madeleine looks like an ompa loompa from the Wizard of Oz movie. She should give the tanning cream a rest.

i totally agree with you on the CP. The dress was beautiful and who cares if it is recylced. If she wore a new dress for every occasion then people would criticize her for spending too much money unnecessarily. I loved both of the dresses she wore.

madeleine looks so good. she is so beautiful. i like the bluo-violet dress.

Carl Philip is the best!! It's my favorite!!!!!

Madeleine and Victoria always look wonderful. It reminds me to sit up straight and keep a pleasant face whenever possible- to be a lady in these times when it is so accepted to be slobbish!

The Nobel Prize 2007

UPCOMING ANNOUNCEMENTS - NOBEL PRIZES 2007

# The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine - Monday 8 October at 11:30 AM CET/09:30 AM GMT

# The Nobel Prize in Physics - Tuesday 9 October at 11:45 AM CET/09:45 AM GMT

# The Nobel Prize in Chemistry - Wednesday 10 October at 11:45 AM CET/09:45 AM GMT

# The Nobel Prize in Literature - Thursday 11 October at 1:00 PM CET/11:00 AM GMT

# The Bank of Sweden's Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel - Monday 15 October at 1:00 PM CET/11:00 AM GMT

Everything can be followed via The Nobel Foundation's website.

About half an hour ago, the press conference reveled the winners of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine, stemcell research is being awarded. There are 3 winnners: Mario R. Capecchi (American), Martin J. Evans (English) and Oliver Smithies (American).

The Nobel Foundation's website is currently down but translated by me from Swedish, they are awarded for:

"Fundamental discoveries about embryonic stemcells and DNA re-combination with mammals"

* New York Times: "3 Win Nobel in Medicine for Stem Cell Discoveries"

The Nobel Prize in Physics - "for the discovery of Giant Magnetoresistance" Albert Fert (France) Peter Grünberg (Germany)

The Nobel Prize in Chemistry - "for his studies of chemical processes on solid surfaces" Gerhard Ertl (Germany)

The Nobel Prize in Literature - "that epicist of the female experience, who with scepticism, fire and visionary power has subjected a divided civilisation to scrutiny" - Doris Lessing (UK)

Back
Top Bottom