The Monarchy under Charles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When Charles is King, is he likely to continue to invite Princess Margaret's son and daughter and their families to Balmoral and Sandringham each year as his mum currently does, or is he more likely to focus on just his parent's descendents?

The Queen doesn't invite her own cousins, the Kents and Gloucesters.

Did George VI have similar house parties like these which the Kents and Gloucesters attended during his lifetime but ceased attending after his death? I don't know. If he did, and they stopped going, there would be a useful precedent. Otherwise, my feeling is that since they have been a part of those festivities for so long, Charles might continue to invite the Linleys and Chattos, though making it clear that there is no pressure on them to attend. If there is no precedent, it might be perceived as rude of him to suddenly stop asking them to do something that has been a feature of their lives for so long, especially if they enjoyed it, and I don't think Charles would be rude in that way. However if the Chattos and Linleys only go now out of a sense of duty, they might be delighted to be able to decline.

The Gloucesters and Kents joined the royal family for Christmas at Windsor early in The Queen's reign but when she moved the Christmas celebrations to Sandringham they stopped attending and attend just the 'family' lunch before The Queen decamps to Sandringham each year. She continued to invite her sister of course because The Queen Mum always attended so of course Margaret's children went to be with their mother and grandmother and she has continued the invites. The Queen is quite close to her nephew and neice but I am not so sure that Charles is as close to all his siblings and their children as The Queen was to her sister and still is to David and Sarah.

I could see Anne continuing to be invited along with her children etc but no so sure about the younger brothers and their children as I don't get a sense that Charles is that close to Andrew and Edward and their children.

Coming from a family where the children span 18 years from oldest to youngest, I think many people underestimate the closeness of the children and their families.

Just because we don't actually see them doing the old continental air kisses at regular intervals doesn't mean that they only get together for official occasions. The Olympics gave us a rare glimpse into their private lives and if we took the time to run through the different threads and align them I think we would be a little surprised.

Harry joining the York's during their annual skiing trip and, a few years ago there were fantastic shots of Zara planting herself on Uncle Charles lap at Ascot!

And the extended family is an interesting mix as well. Camilla's granddaughter seemed quite familiar and happy to let Charles pick her up and hold her so she could see over the balustrades of the balcony after Willam and Catherine's wedding. Check out the fun shared by Princess Ann and Prince Harry at the Horse Jumping.

In short, I think they are closer than most families because they share a particular and somewhat peculiar lifestyle. Who else understands just what and pushes their buttons and how they handle it. Who else can they be themselves with in the sure and certain knowledge that it will not appear on Twitter or Facebook?

Despite all the images we see of the younger members of the family etc we don't see much interaction, if any, between Charles and his own younger brothers and their children. His children might interact and obviously he interacts with Anne but it is rare to see him, even on official occasions, with Andrew or Edward and even less often, if ever, with the York girls - and we do have a report of him calling them 'twits'.

As Charles will be monarch I can see him not having his own siblings present every years for Christmas - and even including Camilla's children and grandchildren - on occasions.

It seems some people believe that the PoW does not like sny of his own family and intends to cut them out of as much as possible once he comes tp the throne. I dont think we have any hard evidence of any animosity between the siblings or anything to substantiate claims that they will be cut out when he is king.

Despite all the images we see of the younger members of the family etc we don't see much interaction, if any, between Charles and his own younger brothers and their children. His children might interact and obviously he interacts with Anne but it is rare to see him, even on official occasions, with Andrew or Edward and even less often, if ever, with the York girls - and we do have a report of him calling them 'twits'.

As Charles will be monarch I can see him not having his own siblings present every years for Christmas - and even including Camilla's children and grandchildren - on occasions.

I think Camilla's children and grand children will certainly become regulars - perhaps every alternate year to allow them to see other in-laws and APB. I think you will continue to see Charles' siblings continue, and perhaps even the Linley / Chatto cousins. They all seem reasonably close. William and Catherine are hardly likely to have borrowed David and Serena's home in France if they were not close.

:previous: Good point. On the "evidence" of what we see in the media we could have been expected to believe that there was no interaction between these members of the BRF on any level whatsoever.

Nevertheless, we would have been wrong! :lol:

When Charles is King, is he likely to continue to invite Princess Margaret's son and daughter and their families to Balmoral and Sandringham each year as his mum currently does, or is he more likely to focus on just his parent's descendents?

The Queen doesn't invite her own cousins, the Kents and Gloucesters.
I think he will - Charles has always been close to his cousin Sarah (one of my favourite pics of him is he and Sarah dancing an impromtu Scottish reel outside at Balmoral when she was about 8 yrs old), and don't forget it was at Viscount Linley's home that the infamous "topless" pics of Kate were taken (her and Wills were staying there at the time). So obviously, they must be close to him as well.

If he is smart - he will consider not only what he wants -but what is good for the family. I think at Holidays - it is a simple gesture to invite family so that they can see ONE ANOTHER, not just me. That's what family leaders do.

I do hope he continues the tradition of "silly" gifts at X Mas.

The other thing is - do the others want to spend time with him?

That is a point. I would think he would still invite his younger brothers for Christmas it's only once a year and his kids are friends with their cousins. Mind you things do change when parents pass away. Charles may start his own traditions.....

And even if he doesnt invite them, that should not be seen as snubbing/cold-shouldering/abandoning them..It must be pure commomsensical, that once all his nieces/nephews have their spouses and kids, its impossible for all of them to be at Sandringham.
I dont understand why people jump to conclusions about Charles relations with Andrew and Edward, just bcos we never have a pic showering them with kisses and hugs in public.. I didnt see any such "PDAs" between Frederik-Joachim or WA and his brothers, or for that matter, even between George VI and DoG.. But no one thinks so about them..

Last edited:
I would like to see them even speaking to each other in public on occasions but Charles is never seen walking with Andrew or speaking to him anymore whereas going back 15 - 20 years they would often be seen walking together to church and on the balcony etc. Whereas their kids are seen interacting on these occasions they are not, anymore.

But Iluvbertie, were there any such public occasions in recent past, when they were all together, other than services in Westminster/St Pauls/Garter/Jubilee events? And at all those, Charles and Camilla wait for Queen and walk down the aisle with her very late, almost the service has begun. Even the Queen doesnt "interact" with anyone such times. The service begins immediately.
And if you are speaking about Trooping Balcony appearance, thats very random, based on where they are standing, Charles hardly talks to anyone on Balcony, not even to Anne. Their standing positions are much streamlined now a days. Charles always to right of the Queen, others either behind or to the left..They dont talk to someone who is across 2-3 other persons. They would have talked till then in the room..
Anyways, I also wish there is more public interaction, but thats what we get.
The only thing I wished is Charles walks with one of his brothers on the Christmas "parade"..But then C-C wanna potray that "perfect-couple-oh-so-happy-with-each-other" image so they always walk together..
And I think this discussion actually belongs to Relationships among BRF thread..:ohmy:

Last edited:
There are a number of occasions when they are together - and the Christmas walk to church is the most obvious one - the others walk mixed up a bit but Charles is the only one not to do so - always with Camilla. They actually stand on the balcony in groups not all in a row and even if Charles and Andrew are near each other they never speak.

Andrew seems to only walk with his daughters, or if they are walking with their cousins, which they do at lot, he walks in front of them or behind them, alone.

Andrew seems to only walk with his daughters, or if they are walking with their cousins, which they do at lot, he walks in front of them or behind them, alone.

But that does not mean that the 'fault' lies with prince Charles.

Events where the protocol is in place such as memorial services..etc they always walk in the order Anne's then Edward then Andrew and Charles then the Queen and Phillip. So you have William Kate and Harry plus Bea and Eugiene between the 2 brothers plus the aisle of Westminster abbey or St. Paul's isn't the place for chit chat.

At Christmas, husbands walk with their spouses except Phillip and Edward since Sophie is with the queen. Autumn was with Peter, Mike with Zara, William was with Kate with Harry on her other side. Why wouldn't Camilla walk with Charles?

The Linleys and Chattos are very close to Charles. His godfather to one of Sarah's boys and Charles Armstrong Jones is named for the PoW.

I think that they will be invited but not attend every year as their families get older. I would expect the same thing with his brother and sister especially when the kids start to marry and have kids.

Camilla's family hasn't really attended royal family functions except for William's wedding. They may want to continue being out of the spotlight.

But that does not mean that the 'fault' lies with prince Charles.

I didn't say the fault lies with Charles but rather that the brothers don't get along. As Charles will be the King and thus the one issuing invitations he will be the one to decide if he has his brothers and their children over for Christmas.

I didn't say the fault lies with Charles but rather that the brothers don't get along. As Charles will be the King and thus the one issuing invitations he will be the one to decide if he has his brothers and their children over for Christmas.
My brothers are 19 and 16 yrs older than me. Obviously our life experiences and interests are different. This however does not mean we do not get along when we are together for family events. I still have seen no evidence that Charles, Andrew and Edward do not get along.

I have seen and read lots of evidence that Charles doesn't get along with Andrew and have sited examples of when they could show some togetherness but don't. They used to be close but as their marriages collapsed they went totally different ways and Charles has made it clear that he has no time for the women Andrew still has strong feelings for.

Charles is possibly closer to Edward but he certainly doesn't come across as close at all to Andrew or Andrew's girl - even reportedly calling them 'twits' - not a comment that you would make in public about your neices if you had any respect for them at all.

The age gap isn't the only reason for siblings to not get along. My closest sibling is a year younger than me and we never speak to each other at all.

Charles is Charles. He is only close to Charles and Camilla. And Camilla's family are not royal and, probably, have not been included. Not their fault just circumstances. They are not the Brady Bunch.

I don't agree that Charles is only close to Camilla. He is close to Anne and her kids and to Harry - I have doubts about his closeness to William and Kate as I get the vibe that William is more Middleton than Windsor now.

I have seen and read lots of evidence that Charles doesn't get along with Andrew and have sited examples of when they could show some togetherness but don't. They used to be close but as their marriages collapsed they went totally different ways and Charles has made it clear that he has no time for the women Andrew still has strong feelings for.

Charles is possibly closer to Edward but he certainly doesn't come across as close at all to Andrew or Andrew's girl - even reportedly calling them 'twits' - not a comment that you would make in public about your neices if you had any respect for them at all.

I have always heard that Charles and Andrew are at odds; however, I surmise that Charles rather despises Edward and considers him a nonentity. I've heard that he frequently makes disparaging or dismissive remarks about Edward.
However, it's been said that Charles remains close to his sister.

Of course, to Harry and William and Kate. I never thought, differently. That was a given. He is a good father. As far as Anne, I am not aware that they have any particular closeness, except they are siblings. As for Peter and Zara, I have no idea, because I have never heard nor seen it demonstrated. Edward and Andrew are younger and Andrew is less uptight about who he is. Perhaps, for Charles that is a minus.

Charles does speak to Andrew & his siblings. Each year, he abandons Camilla during the morning walk to the 1st Christmas service.

2011 He is walking & talking with Andrew after coming from the 1st Christmas service.
2011 On the to/back he is walking/talking to David Linley.
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...-cornwall-prince-charles-news-photo/136104862#

When/if Charles comes to the throne, he might be in his 80s. His siblings & cousins will have grandkids. They might not all want to travel to Sandringham.

Last edited:
I think a lot is made out of the so-called animosity between Charles and his brothers, more so than should probably be made.

It's clear that Charles isn't likely friends with Andrew or Edward, or particularly close with their children - although it should be noted that Edward's children are still really young. That said, Charles is a fair bit older than either of his brothers and had a different childhood than either of them, because of the generation he grew up in, the position of his mother throughout his childhood (the new queen versus the one who'd been at the job a while), and the fact that he was the oldest and the heir.

I think we can safely assume that Charles isn't friends with his brothers. There's every indication of that. But that doesn't mean that they dislike each other or don't get along: it just means they're not friends. They're not likely to pop in at each other's home for tea, but that doesn't mean that Charles is necessarily going to exclude his brothers and their families from Christmas.

I think what we're likely to see when Charles is king, regarding events like Christmas, is a continuation of the same, but with Charles the host instead of the Queen. The Linleys and Chattos will get invited, and while they may opt to turn down the invitation they also might continue it given as Christmas with their Windsor cousins has been how they've celebrated their entire lives. Similarly, I would expect Anne, Andrew, Edward, and their families to continue to be invited, and attend. That Charles' sons are friends with their similarly aged cousins would definitely help to keep things together.

As for Camilla's family, while I can see them being invited I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't attend. The Parker Bowles family likely has it's own Christmas traditions. I could also see the Middletons being invited more, and I think they'd be more likely to begin attending. It's clear that William and Catherine remain very close with her family and are stressing the importance of not cutting them out, and I can see Charles inviting the Middletons to make it easier for William and Catherine to do both families at Christmas.

I believe Camilla's kids will stay at Sandringham for Christmas after Charles becomes King. Or he might celebrate Christmas at Windsor as it is closer. I think Camilla's kids aren't invited now because they are not related to the Queen.

Here's the one with Charles & David Linley Christmas 2011.
English Royals attend services at Sandringham Christmas 2011 - Pictures - Zimbio

Another one of Charles & Andrew.
English Royals attend services at Sandringham Christmas 2011 - Pictures - Zimbio

More Charles & Andrew
http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/3XAyoqoMUIZ/English+Royals+attend+services+Sandringham/WQvsKW7Abbs

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/3XAyoqoMUIZ/English+Royals+attend+services+Sandringham/jWbVWNKq9M0

Last edited:
I think a lot is made out of the so-called animosity between Charles and his brothers, more so than should probably be made.

It's clear that Charles isn't likely friends with Andrew or Edward, or particularly close with their children - although it should be noted that Edward's children are still really young. That said, Charles is a fair bit older than either of his brothers and had a different childhood than either of them, because of the generation he grew up in, the position of his mother throughout his childhood (the new queen versus the one who'd been at the job a while), and the fact that he was the oldest and the heir.

I think we can safely assume that Charles isn't friends with his brothers. There's every indication of that. But that doesn't mean that they dislike each other or don't get along: it just means they're not friends. They're not likely to pop in at each other's home for tea, but that doesn't mean that Charles is necessarily going to exclude his brothers and their families from Christmas.

I think what we're likely to see when Charles is king, regarding events like Christmas, is a continuation of the same, but with Charles the host instead of the Queen. The Linleys and Chattos will get invited, and while they may opt to turn down the invitation they also might continue it given as Christmas with their Windsor cousins has been how they've celebrated their entire lives. Similarly, I would expect Anne, Andrew, Edward, and their families to continue to be invited, and attend. That Charles' sons are friends with their similarly aged cousins would definitely help to keep things together.

As for Camilla's family, while I can see them being invited I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't attend. The Parker Bowles family likely has it's own Christmas traditions. I could also see the Middletons being invited more, and I think they'd be more likely to begin attending. It's clear that William and Catherine remain very close with her family and are stressing the importance of not cutting them out, and I can see Charles inviting the Middletons to make it easier for William and Catherine to do both families at Christmas.

Good post!

I also think it's worth remembering that almost all the information we have about the emotional and inner lives of the royal family is second hand or press conjecture. The senior members of the family don't show strong emotion in public and they clearly feel most comfortable with a certain amount of distance between themselves and the regular man/woman on the street. Charles, in particular, has never mastered the art of telling anecotes or cute stories that are humanizing but actually reveal very little, (his sons are much better at walking this line, IMO). Even if they were very close it would be hard to imagine either Charles, Andrew or Edward dropping joking references to each other into their speeches the way William and Harry do, for example. That's just not their style.

If I had to guess, I would say Charles is probably not especially close to either of his brothers. I think it was always unlikely the brothers would turn out to be good friends, given the age differences between them and the difference in position between Charles and the rest of the siblings. "Not good friends" isn't synonymous with "bad", though.

There is no evidence for any of this! A quick Google search would show recent pictures of Charles laughing or chatting with his brothers and sister. As for him not being close with William, I don't know where that came from. This is also completely off topic and unfounded. Like I said we could easily Google it. Besides that fact, the press loves to make up unflattering stories about Charles. I don't believe any of them!

Can we please get back on topic?! I think if the Yorks, Wessexs, and the Princess Royal's families want to come they can. This is everyone's immediate family and they all seem to be a close knit family. However, I can see some of the younger generation doing like William and Kate and splitting their time between the royal family and their spouses' families if they choose to. Camilla still visits her children on holidays and spends time with her husband's family.

I apologize if I came off harsh or rude, but I think this conversation is disrespectful of the royal family and it's unfair to assume such things especially based off of hearsay, press, and what little we can derive from pictures or videos.

I apologize if I came off harsh or rude, but I think this conversation is disrespectful of the royal family and it's unfair to assume such things especially based off of hearsay, press, and what little we can derive from pictures or videos.

But that is what you are doing when you say 'recent pictures of Charles laughing or chatting with his brothers and sister.' basing youder opinion on what you derive from pictures or videos.

If you can do so to see something nice happening then I can see the opposite in the pictures and videos I have seen over half a century of watching the royals in person and through the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom