The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 9: August 2023 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The police are a public service. You can't pay for them. You can't go into a National Health Service hospital, whip out your credit card and expect to see a doctor immediately, rather than waiting your turn. You can't go into a state school and pay for your child to be given private tuition by the teachers. You can't get on a bus and pay for it to make a diversion to your home because you don't want to walk from the bus stop. In the same way, you can't pay for personal protection by the police. Everyone gets this, apart from harry!

:previous: This is how things work in the UK! Excellent post.

So it seems that at the time Sir Edward Young, on behalf of The Queen, has written to the cabinet pleading for their security to be maintained:

https://archive.ph/2023.12.08-20574...ow-out-mail-on-sunday-libel-defence-ggcxf6htg

This new information seems to support the argument that the decision to cut their security was not instigated by the Royal Household, but rather either by the Metropolitan Police itself or the Home Office, or both. It also poses additional complications to Harry's legal case as one of his arguments about the lack of "procedural fairness" in the RAVEC decision-making process was that one of members of RAVEC was Sir Edward Young, with whom Harry claims to have had a fallout.

But if Sir Edward had been asked by the Queen herself to write to the Cabinet Sec in order to put the case for Harry’s security to be maintained, then surely Sir Edward would have had to do it, regardless of his own thoughts or feelings towards Harry. Perhaps he expressed his own wishes and not that of the Queen at later RAVEC meetings.

From the above article

His letter noted threats the couple faced from “extremists” and insisted it is “imperative that the family continues to be provided with effective security”.
“You will understand well that ensuring that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex remain safe is of paramount importance to Her Majesty and her family,” it said.“Given the duke’s public profile by virtue of being born into the royal family, his military service, the duchess’s own independent profile and the well-documented history of targeting of the Sussex family by extremists, it is imperative that the family continues to be provided with effective security.”

That doesn’t sound like pleading to me.

Last edited:
But if Sir Edward had been asked by the Queen herself to write to the Cabinet Sec in order to put the case for Harry’s security to be maintained, then surely Sir Edward would have had to do it, regardless of his own thoughts or feelings towards Harry. Perhaps he expressed his own wishes and not that of the Queen at later RAVEC meetings.

From the above article

His letter noted threats the couple faced from “extremists” and insisted it is “imperative that the family continues to be provided with effective security”.
“You will understand well that ensuring that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex remain safe is of paramount importance to Her Majesty and her family,” it said.“Given the duke’s public profile by virtue of being born into the royal family, his military service, the duchess’s own independent profile and the well-documented history of targeting of the Sussex family by extremists, it is imperative that the family continues to be provided with effective security.”

It looks like a professionally handled letter to me. Putting the case forward as it would appear the queen requested.

From the above article

Sir Edward Young's job was not to voice his personal opinion. As far as I understand, he had a seat in RAVEC as a representative of the Royal Household, so he had to vote in RAVEC in accordance with the Royal Household's position. And the Royal Household's position is ultimately decided by the monarch.

All of which apparently RAVEC discounted at the time. So much for the Queen’s wishes, clearly stated.

It demonstrates the independence of RAVEC.

Harry is trying to claim that representative of the Royal Household on Ravec was unfair on him, this letter shows that the Queens wish for a presentation to be made on behalf of Harry was actioned.

Ravec makes their own decisions, he cannot claim the household went against him.

I cannot see how Sir Edward could submit this letter but offer a different personal opinion as his job is to represent monarchs position.

Last edited:
So Sir Edward Young represented the Queen's wishes at RAVEC, which concurred with Harry's wishes. So much for "The Bee" plotting against him.

One day someone will sue Harry for defamation, and maybe he'll finally learn how poisonous all of these lawsuits have been.

All of which apparently RAVEC discounted at the time. So much for the Queen’s wishes, clearly stated.

I truly believe that while the Queen's wishes would have been considered, that ultimately the committee had to make the final decision based upon the resources available and the cost to the British taxpayers. This is why IMO RAVEC cannot be made up by individuals who have a personal connection to the family members ie: QEII, KCIII etc.. So while the Sussexes would not receive full time protection outside of the UK, their security would be "bespoke" or tailored to the needs when they were visiting the UK on official business related to the monarchy ie Jubilee 2022, funerals for the DoE and QEII.

I truly believe that while the Queen's wishes would have been considered, that ultimately the committee had to make the final decision based upon the resources available and the cost to the British taxpayers. This is why IMO RAVEC cannot be made up by individuals who have a personal connection to the family members ie: QEII, KCIII etc.. So while the Sussexes would not receive full time protection outside of the UK, their security would be "bespoke" or tailored to the needs when they were visiting the UK on official business related to the monarchy ie Jubilee 2022, funerals for the DoE and QEII.

The exact membership of RAVEC is somewhat unclear. All that was known until recently is that it includes a mix of Home Office officials and representatives of the Metropolitan Police Service and the Royal Household. The Home Secretary is the British minister who is politically responsible to Parliament for the RAVEC decisions and is also legally responsible for them before the courts, but, as far as I understand, the Home Secretary himself/herself is not a member of the committee.

In connection with Harry's case, there has been further clarification on who exactly sits in the committee, see e.g. this 2022 article on The Sunday Telegraph. The news says that the Foreign Office and the Homeland Security group are also represented and that the 3 representatives of the Royal Households were the Queen's Private Secretary, the Queen's Assistant Private Secretary, and the Master of the PoW's Household.

Last edited:
The police are a public service. You can't pay for them. You can't go into a National Health Service hospital, whip out your credit card and expect to see a doctor immediately, rather than waiting your turn. You can't go into a state school and pay for your child to be given private tuition by the teachers. You can't get on a bus and pay for it to make a diversion to your home because you don't want to walk from the bus stop. In the same way, you can't pay for personal protection by the police. Everyone gets this, apart from harry!

Best comment on this topic ever! :flowers:

and here's Harry's reaction :badpc:

Brilliant post Alison! Made me chuckle.

It does baffle a lot of people in the UK why Harry thinks the way he does. The language used by his lawyers make him sound so insufferably entitled & tin eared. If he really thinks that he & his family are safer in the US than the UK then there’s not much else left to say.

British taxpayers are not going to pay for his security & suggestions that somehow they would be responsible in the event of some hypothetical harm are just silly.

He already has special privileges when visiting the UK. If there is a threat he will have state security & if there isn’t he won’t. And if he & his family return to live in the UK as private citizens then that arrangement would continue.

Meanwhile when the rest of us report something the police often don’t have the resources to attend – they just give you a crime number!

That's it. in a nutshell. How Harry can't see this is beyond me.

So Sir Edward Young represented the Queen's wishes at RAVEC, which concurred with Harry's wishes. So much for "The Bee" plotting against him.

One day someone will sue Harry for defamation, and maybe he'll finally learn how poisonous all of these lawsuits have been.

How much more of what Harry asserts is simply not true, made up or manipulated to appear worse than it really is?

He seems to be set in his ways just like his wife, there is nothing that will make them change their mind, their claims or seek a resolution to all these negative PR problems they have.

It all started with a lie on that Oprah interview that the in-laws are racist and has not change as bit with this recent as this court case exposing entitlement vs their reality. Harry seems to have a lot of enablers feeding his mind with nonexistent issues he can't step away from or even be quiet about.

He seems to be set in his ways just like his wife, there is nothing that will make them change their mind, their claims or seek a resolution to all these negative PR problems they have.

It all started with a lie on that Oprah interview that the in-laws are racist and has not change as bit with this recent as this court case exposing entitlement vs their reality. Harry seems to have a lot of enablers feeding his mind with nonexistent issues he can't step away from or even be quiet about.

Nah, it didn't start with the Oprah interview. The Sussexes believed what they wanted to believe well before they agreed to that interview.

Harry might really be as dim as he said he was in Spare.

Nah, it didn't start with the Oprah interview. The Sussexes believed what they wanted to believe well before they agreed to that interview.

Harry might really be as dim as he said he was in Spare.

I think they did the interview because they were not getting their own way, and needed to pose a threat, a form of blackmail. Well they have shown their hand now.

They wanted what was in the original statement they published back in January 2020, not sure if they managed to achieve any of it. It has been drip drip feed of their truth ever since.

I think they did the interview because they were not getting their own way, and needed to pose a threat, a form of blackmail. Well they have shown their hand now.

They wanted what was in the original statement they published back in January 2020, not sure if they managed to achieve any of it. It has been drip drip feed of their truth ever since.

What truth? New reign, time moves on. Yada. Yada. He barely ever met one nephew. A niece and nephew he has barely seen since they were little more than toddlers. Everyone has moved on. Their truth whatever it is is old.

Here's a reminder that discussion on this thread should be primarily on current events. Old news should have something to do with recent events, so please keep that in mind before you post, otherwise your post runs the risk of being deleted.

What truth? New reign, time moves on. Yada. Yada. He barely ever met one nephew. A niece and nephew he has barely seen since they were little more than toddlers. Everyone has moved on. Their truth whatever it is is old.

I totally agree, and their truth keeps changing, or being embellished.

People are just fed up with the whole circus, they are the only ones who have not realised.

Prince Harry has been ordered to pay the Mail on Sunday 48,000 pounds after losing his attempt to strike out part of the paper's defence in a libel case.

https://news.sky.com/story/prince-h...part-of-papers-defence-in-libel-case-13028178

I'm reading the last lines of the article on that link:

...The Duke of Sussex believes this is libelous, as it attacked "his honesty and integrity", his lawyers argue it is inaccurate, and suggest he had "lied" and "cynically" attempted to mislead public opinion.

If a settlement isn't reached by both parties, the libel trial will be held between May and July next year.

Harry has until Dec 29th to pay up 48k pounds (56,040.00 Euros or $60,355.20 USA Dollars). My guess is if he refuses, out of pride or just ill advised, he could end up paying more if the case goes to trial and the court expenses add up to this mess, right?

To settle or not to settle? And if he pays the 48K, will the deal include a clause for him to move on and shut up on this matter after 2024? I got the bad feeling we are going to see a trial and an even major loss for Harry's camp. :ermm:

Last edited:
How does it work, does Harry still have to pay regardless of whether settlement is reached?

After his holier-than-thou statement about William's settlement on his phone hacking lawsuit, wouldn't it be rather hypocritical of him if he settles? Then again, double standard seems to be one of his notable traits, so who know? I'm sure if he settles, he (and his supporters) will be more than ready to perform the usual mental gymnastic to justify it.

Although, I don't think ANL will want to settle. They have a strong case with this one and it will benefit them more if this goes to trial (for one, more headlines they can sell).

And wouldn't it be hilarious if he refuses to pay this 48k pounds and then he sues the judge (and the High Court) when he's been forced to pay it? It's a farfetched scenario, but unfortunately somehow it also fits his behaviour patterns.

Honestly, I still don't get why he sues ANL for this article (other than out of spite, of course. He seems to have personal vendetta against DM) considering it's the Telegraph who came up with the story first and comparing both articles, I can't see why DM's article is more damaging than the Telegraph's.

The £48,447 is a payment on account. If they reach a settlement and it's agreed that the Mail should pay Harry, presumably he'll get that money back.

He's involved in so many legal cases that I can't keep track of them!

After his holier-than-thou statement about William's settlement on his phone hacking lawsuit, wouldn't it be rather hypocritical of him if he settles? Then again, double standard seems to be one of his notable traits, so who know? I'm sure if he settles, he (and his supporters) will be more than ready to perform the usual mental gymnastic to justify it.

Although, I don't think ANL will want to settle. They have a strong case with this one and it will benefit them more if this goes to trial (for one, more headlines they can sell).

And wouldn't it be hilarious if he refuses to pay this 48k pounds and then he sues the judge (and the High Court) when he's been forced to pay it? It's a farfetched scenario, but unfortunately somehow it also fits his behaviour patterns.

Honestly, I still don't get why he sues ANL for this article (other than out of spite, of course. He seems to have personal vendetta against DM) considering it's the Telegraph who came up with the story first and comparing both articles, I can't see why DM's article is more damaging than the Telegraph's.

His vendetta against the press seems appears to be the biggest thing in his life. My guess is he's not very happy behind the scenes and having a go at the press is probably a way of taking out his anger about everything else. It's not the way to go for a peaceful and happy existence. I'm reminded of a child repeatedly having tantrums. He's generating even more headlines about him in the future.

The £48,447 is a payment on account. If they reach a settlement and it's agreed that the Mail should pay Harry, presumably he'll get that money back.

I hope the Mail don't settle or he has to pay them to settle. I think they have a good case for winning this.

I gave up trying to keep track of them a long time ago. As I indicated above, he's on what he sees as his life's mission and probably it keeps him occupied and fills the vacuum caused by his decision to quit the BRF. An expensive hobby.

It also reminds me that the UK government has a list of people who are banned from taking legal action without permission of the High Court. Could PH end up on on this list if he's not careful? They are called "vexatious litigants" and are described as:

"...individuals who persistently take legal action against others in cases without any merit, who are forbidden from starting civil cases in courts without permission."

Last edited:

Thanks for explaining!

His vendetta against the press seems appears to be the biggest thing in his life. My guess is he's not very happy behind the scenes and having a go at the press is probably a way of taking out his anger about everything else. It's not the way to go for a peaceful and happy existence. I'm reminded of a child repeatedly having tantrums.

I hope the Mail don't settle or he has to pay them to settle. I think they have a good case for winning this.

I gave up trying to keep track of them a long time ago. As I indicated above, he's on what he sees as his life's mission and probably it keeps him occupied and fills the vacuum caused by his decision to quit the BRF. An expensive hobby.

It also reminds me that the UK government has a list of people who are not allowed to sue without permission. Could PH end up on on this list if he's not careful? They are called "vexatious litigants".

I have been convinced for some time that ANL would love a case to go to trial. IMO they want either of the couple in the witness box, that is why we have the constant flow of online articles about the couple.

It also reminds me that the UK government has a list of people who are banned from taking legal action without permission of the High Court. Could PH end up on on this list if he's not careful? They are called "vexatious litigants" and are described as:

"...individuals who persistently take legal action against others in cases without any merit, who are forbidden from starting civil cases in courts without permission."
I doubt Harry would end up on this list. Whether he actually wins any of his cases, they are at least colorable legal disputes capable of resolution, so they're not "without any merit." Here in U.S. federal courts, we have similar lists and they're meant to block people who use the courts in an abusive manner by repeatedly filing suits that are frivolous or meant for no purpose other than to harass the defendant. I roll my eyes at how litigious Harry is, but he's not at that level.

Back
Top Bottom