The Birth of HRH Prince Louis of Cambridge: April 23, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Spencer link is very strong too with reference to the Cambridge children's names. George and Alexander are the sons of Diana's sisters. Charles Spencer was Diana's brother, he has a daughter Charlotte Diana and his son and heir is named Louis.

An unexpected choice rather (reusing one of George's names and honoring Charles again - first with Charlotte).

The Spencer link is very strong too with reference to the Cambridge children's names. George and Alexander are the sons of Diana's sisters. Charles Spencer was Diana's brother, he has a daughter Charlotte Diana and his son and heir is named Louis.

Exactly, EVERYONE can be happy about the names.
(Even if it's always bit far fetched to desperately search any link with Diana, as usual ...)

Last edited:
BBC website’s most read story. Despite the four day wait- the public’s appetite for #royalbaby news is apparently undimmed. @BBCNews

Via Sarah Campbell BBC Twitter

Royal baby named Prince Louis - BBC News

Pretty impressive. Everyone loves the royal baby.

As to pronunciation, just keep this song going through your heads:

Could Prince Charles asked it is remembering of Lord Mountbatten ?

Prince Philip has been honored a few times before, but not as first name
Prince Charles Philip Arthur George
Prince William Arthur Philip Louis
James Alexander Philip Theo (James, Viscount Severn)

as for the Louis(e):
Prince Edward Antony Richard Louis
Princess Anne Elizabeth Alice Louise
Louise Alice Elizabeth Mary (Lady Louise Windsor)

I am so happy. Love love love that they went with Louis as the 1st name. Must say I was a bit disappointed when they gave Alexander & Louis as middle names to George because I had assumed they would not use them for another child. Happy I was wrong.

The name is more of a surprise because we had ruled it out as it was used for George but its a big family name for the Windsors, quite a number of them have it in their names (both male & female versions).

We have Lady Louise and now Prince Louis

Prince Phillip is being honoured as well, a beloved relatives memory as been kept alive through his children, grandchildren & now great-grandchildren.

Last edited:
Oh a blast from the past! I actually remember when the song came out by the Kingsmen and the controversy surrounding it which caused radio stations to ban playing it. I have to laugh now because compared to what is out there now that kids listen to makes the Louie Louie controversy sound tame.

So... its pronounced Looey right? Or Looeye. I've alway said it as Lewis.

Louis Arthur Charles, you were named after three iconic Weasleys… #RoyalBabyName

Via Pottermore Twitter

Even Harry Potter is getting in on the royal baby buzz :lol:

Louis Arthur Charles, you were named after three iconic Weasleys…

There was an Arthur Weasley [the Father], but no Louis nor Charles Weasley..

I have to say the name choice surprised me a lot. I'm not a huge fan of the choice as I was rooting for a Prince Arthur. I'm sure it'll grow on me and i'm sure he's as cute as a button.

I'm glad they didn't use a name currently used by someone at the minute (James, Edward etc.) as that just gets so confusing.

I'm also hoping for a Princess Alice when Harry has children!

There was an Arthur Weasley [the Father], but no Louis nor Charles Weasley..
There was a Charlie Weasley, Rons elder brother (the one who worked with dragons :lol:) Anyways, I like the name, although I didn't expect it. They went for very classic names for the heir and spare (George and Charlotte), so now they seem to feel free to go for a more unusual name. And of course the name Louis has been in the family through the Mountbattens.

I have to say the name choice surprised me a lot. I'm not a huge fan of the choice as I was rooting for a Prince Arthur. I'm sure it'll grow on me and i'm sure he's as cute as a button.

I'm glad they didn't use a name currently used by someone at the minute (James, Edward etc.) as that just gets so confusing.

I'm also hoping for a Princess Alice when Harry has children!

Unless the Queen issues special letter of patent making Prince Harry's future children Princes/Princesses of the United Kingdom, allowing them to be HRH, they won't be princes or princesses at birth but rather
Lord [first name] Mountbatten Windsor or Lady [first name] Mountbatten Windsor
If Prince Harry is created Duke of Sussex Earl of Ross as suggested, then, his first male born would be Earl of Ross as a courstesy title, and the others would be lord or lady. They would only become Princes or Princesses of th UK when Charles becomes King; according to George V 1917 letter of patent
If Charles predeceases The Queen, they would never be Princes or Princess of the UK, unless William once King issues letter of Patent granting them this status
o

Last edited:
Happy to all you folks who got the name right, congratulations!

It's interesting to see all the ties ...I think Mountbatten was a great grandson of Queen Victoria right?

I do think it's neat that all 4 (so far!) of them share in that name. Charles, William, George and now Louis.

LaRae

Yes, Lord Mountbatten and Prince Philip's mother Alice were the children of Prince Louis of Battenberg and Princess Victoria of Hesse.

Victoria was the daughter of Grand Duke Louis/Ludwig IV of Hesse and Princess Alice, who was the daughter of Queen Victoria.

The name Louis was used frequently in Prince Philip's mother's family.

Since Princess Madeline of Sweden lives in London wouldn't it be nice to see, in the future, a marriage between the Cambridges and the O'Neills? George and Adrienne or even George and Leonor.

Do we know where the Charlotte in Pippa Middleton's name comes from?

I'm wondering, given the lack of any Middleton nods in this name, if Charlotte is actually named after the person that Pippa's middle name comes from? (I hope I explained that well!)

Then George would be named after William's side, Charlotte from Catherine's, and then Louis from William's...

Catherine did have several distant grandmothers named Charlotte but the nearest two were several generations back - both were her 3x great-grandmothers, one on her father's side, the other on her mother's.

I have no idea if that's where Pippa's middle name came from. Perhaps she was named after a closer relative - maybe a great-aunt -who may have been named after one of these distant grandmothers. I don't know enough about the family to know.

Sorry if I missed it, but I'm just getting caught up. Do we know for certain that they are using the French pronunciation? Wasn't Montbatten pronounced lew-is?

I love the name, it's a strong nod to Phillip and Charles as Uncle Dickie was such a hugely important part of both men's lives. I would have preferred Arthur as the first name, though, just personal preference.

I was on Team Philip, so I'm a bit disappointed. However, it shouldn't be a surprise since it's one of William's names, as well as one of George's names.

So, William gave his son 2 of his 4 names. Only Charles is different. And the baby prince also shares two names with his grandfather, only Louis they don't share.

I knew they were traditional but giving your son of only three names you previously used?! And no nod to the Middletons at all? Disappointed... but hope the little prince himself won't mind...

Last edited:
Since Princess Madeline of Sweden lives in London wouldn't it be nice to see, in the future, a marriage between the Cambridges and the O'Neills? George and Adrienne or even George and Leonor.

Neat idea but I doubt we ever see another royal marry royal again.

LaRae

Sorry if I missed it, but I'm just getting caught up. Do we know for certain that they are using the French pronunciation? Wasn't Montbatten pronounced lew-is?

I love the name, it's a strong nod to Phillip and Charles as Uncle Dickie was such a hugely important part of both men's lives. I would have preferred Arthur as the first name, though, just personal preference.

Yes it's Louis, in the French pronunciation.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it's Louis, in the French pronunciation.

LaRae

Thanks LaRae. :flowers: I'm not questioning whether you're right or not, but how do we know? Was it announced?

how do we know? Was it announced?

No, but all the broadcast media in the UK are utilising that pronunciation . ALL of them..

Neat idea but I doubt we ever see another royal marry royal again.

LaRae

Over the past 80 years or so, there have been at least 3 proposed Swedish/British matches:

1. The future King Edward VIII (or his younger brother) and Princess Ingrid of Sweden (later Queen Ingrid of Denmark).
  2. King Carl XVI Gustaf and Princess Anne (later the Princess Royal).
  3. Prince William of Wales (later the Duke of Cambridge) and Princess Madeleine of Sweden

The Swedish and British royal houses have great synergy in terms of both being Protestant royal houses and with princes and princesses in similar age groups. Besides, King Gustaf VI Adolf was married twice to descendants of Queen Victoria(Margaret of Connaught and Louise Mountbatten), thus setting a precedent. I wouldn't be surprised if , in the next generation, Prince George is also paired by the media with Princess Leonore to keep up with tradition, even if, as in the three cases mentioned above, the suggested match doesn't go anywhere again.

Last edited:
It was also the way it was pronounced for Earl Mountbatten of Burma, it is the way The Duchess of Cambridge pronounced it on her wedding day, William Arthur Philip Louis, and it is the way ut was pronounced when George was born George Alexander Louis

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom