The 80s: Fashion Disasters

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Toledo said:
Is like a left over from the 1950's and 60's, much like TV dinner and TVs with dials. I think she and Fabiola keep it through out the decades because it's really a Biosphere, probably has it's own gravity too. Over here a variation of it is sometimes nickamed the Ann Landers' hairdo or Helmet Hairdo because it looks like a helmet. Is not helmet hair, that's the flat hair after you remove a real motorcycle helmet.

Forum Ladies, get your rollers ready, here are the horror guides if you want to copy that style at home this weekend: The 50's hairstyles and the 60's big hair era

I agree with you, when they die I think the "kapsel" would continue to live on their own, they attract and dissappear any tiara on their vicinity like planets do with their satellites:D

Lady Jennifer said:
How about what Princess Astrid wore to her wedding...def. the 80s
Taken from the Old, New, Royal, and Blue... thread
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/154166-post56.html Today 09:28 AM

:eek: and I thought Diana's dress was bad, this is an horrendous monstruosity!:eek:
thank God she got an amazing sense of style now!:D

Lady Jennifer said:
What was it with the 80s & all the bows- or the "bow-ties" that women wore? Like in the picture we see of Princess Astrid.

That reminds me I saw a photo posted somewhere in the Princess Caroline section (maybe the thread on her jewels or outfits) where she is wearing some excessive earrings with bows hanging from them. Very 80's. Seems that was a decade of excess, like the styles in the series Dynasty big hair, big shoulders and over the top from head to shoes.

hmmm...i was thinking, maybe we could categorize the fashion disasters into these categories:

Royals:
-whose shoulders can stretch the entire length of the Camino de Santiago with their shoulderpads (kidding! :D :D )
-whose clothes can become secondary parachutes (super puffy sleeves!)
-whose hair is hairsprayed to death or (as Renee Zellwegger said in an interview with Oprah) the higher the hair, the closer to heaven! ;) :D
-whose makeup resembles the 16-color Color Wheel (i hope no one gets into this category!)

up to it? or have you more categories? ;) :) :D

for example: secondary parachutes
Queen Beatrix, pic #1 and 2
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/435397-post26.html

Princess Diana
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/435559-post33.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the she-mullet and the Blue Eyeshadow deserve an entire cathegory of their own!:eek::D

crisiñaki said:
I believe the she-mullet and the Blue Eyeshadow deserve an entire cathegory of their own!:eek::D
You got that right crisiñaki

i second the motion! i suddenly remembered that all the women (well, nearly!) back then wore blue eye shadow, and almost always in the same shade! :eek: :D

RhapsodyBrat said:
i second the motion! i suddenly remembered that all the women (well, nearly!) back then wore blue eye shadow, and almost always in the same shade! :eek: :D

The Beatrix shade (C):D:D:D
And I thought another cathegory: Spandex:eek::eek:*shudders*
Thank God I grew up in the late 90's and early 2000!:p

Lady Jennifer said:
ewww. I thought the mullet was only seen here in N. America! I didn't know it made its way across the pond & onto Royal Heads no less! :eek:

The mullet made it to Australia and it's still here. :eek:

Oh and let us not forget the white nylons! They made everyone look as if they were going to nursing school. In the same vein, let's remember all the colored and/or printed nylons and socks that Diana had a hand in making so popular. I have to admit I had a pair of polka dot socks that I wore with capris and red flats:D Oh man! Thank heavens there aren't any pictures of that;)

Lady Jean said:
Let's not forget the perm and mullet combo!

Good Lord, yes!! We all ran around with spiral perms looking like poodles! To this day, I will cut shoulder pads out of a sweater if they come with them! I'm scarred for life!!!! :)

Some day the clothes we wear today will look just as outrageous then as we think the 80's clothes do to us today. We all thought we looked great then.

Source: seeger press

check out both Elena and Cristina's dresses from 1989:eek::eek:
horrendous, my eyes are sore just by watching that poofing monstruosity!:eek:
in the second pic Cristina looks like a high school quarterback!:eek:

looking back the clothes were pretty bad but at the time we couldn't get enough of the shoulder pads, white panty hose, flats, mullets, mall hair and lets not forget mutton sleeves.

I was born in the late 80s so I wasn't subject to all the fashion horrors but the early 90s weren't that pretty either. :eek:

crisinaki, I can't see the pictures you posted of the Infantas Elena and Cristina (they're just white boxes with red x's). And even though it pains me to say it, I want to see their 80s fashion disasters :D.

Victims

crisiñaki said:
Source: seeger press

check out both Elena and Cristina's dresses from 1989:eek::eek:
horrendous, my eyes are sore just by watching that poofing monstruosity!:eek:
in the second pic Cristina looks like a high school quarterback!:eek:
:eek: :eek: fashion victims :eek: :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Liah76 said:
:eek: :eek: fashion victims :eek: :eek:

oh yeah! check out Cristina's red dress today and you'll see her improvement;)

Oy! Did they think the huge sleeves were attractive? They'd bump into people often....

soCal girl said:
Oy! Did they think the huge sleeves were attractive? They'd bump into people often....

so can you see those pics now, right?;)

I think whatever they are wearing back then, they are sure wearing something fashionable clothing and up to date. Just imagine 20years in the future, people will do the same too.

spoiltbrat99 said:
I think whatever they are wearing back then, they are sure wearing something fashionable clothing and up to date. Just imagine 20years in the future, people will do the same too.

i'll be wearing shoulder pads?!? and have my hair permed and hairsprayed to death so high it almost reaches the heavens?!? omigod :eek: :eek: :eek:

jus' kidding. hee hee :)

well, trends do repeat themselves every now and then. and a lot of people tend to just follow what is "in" currently so...that was what the 80's dictated, we can forgive them. ;) :D

We must remember thought that they "puff" or "balloon" style skirt was very popular in the 80s. The dressing gown by Sassoon that Diana wore was the worst thing. We never saw it again. I have no problems with the tan and beige suit she wore.

Oh my. What hair. Makes me want to send Stacy and Clinton from "What Not to Wear" after her. eww. She looks soooooooo much better now

Oh my god! That permed, curled, shellacked helmet of hair she has in the pics where she's wearing the black dress takes me right back:D :p Hilarious!!!!!!!! I agree, Christina looks alot better now.

bluebess said:
Oh my god! That permed, curled, shellacked helmet of hair she has in the pics where she's wearing the black dress takes me right back:D :p Hilarious!!!!!!!! I agree, Christina looks alot better now.

The permed-curly-she-mullet is the worst hairdo I've ever seen of Cristina to date, let's hope she keeps her hair the way it is now;)

RhapsodyBrat said:
i'll be wearing shoulder pads?!? and have my hair permed and hairsprayed to death so high it almost reaches the heavens?!? omigod :eek: :eek: :eek:

jus' kidding. hee hee :)

well, trends do repeat themselves every now and then. and a lot of people tend to just follow what is "in" currently so...that was what the 80's dictated, we can forgive them. ;) :D
We can only hope that the 80s aren't repeated (they say something like every 20yrs fashions repeat).

And I have no words for Cristina's hair in RhapsodyBrat's post :eek:. Do you think she looks back at pictures of herself & cringes (like many of us with "fabulous" 80s attire pictures)? :D

LadyK said:
Oh my. What hair. Makes me want to send Stacy and Clinton from "What Not to Wear" after her. eww. She looks soooooooo much better now

are they just as crass and brutally honest as Trinny and Susannah? :D i loved those two. haven't watched an episode with the new ones though. ;)

Lady Jennifer said:
We can only hope that the 80s aren't repeated (they say something like every 20yrs fashions repeat).

And I have no words for Cristina's hair in RhapsodyBrat's post :eek:. Do you think she looks back at pictures of herself & cringes (like many of us with "fabulous" 80s attire pictures)? :D

oh my...can we skip the repeat of the 80s? I'd prefer the 70s. i personally like flared pants...as long as they're not double-knit. :D :)

and i'll probably bet she and many other folks don't want to dwell on how they looked like back then. no matter how happy the moment, the minute they see how high their hair was back then, i'd think they'd cringe. :D :D :) hee hee!

No, RhapsodyBrat they are not as Trinny and Susannah, but honest they are, i have never seen anyone cry in the american show.

Back
Top Bottom