Royal Wedding Bouquets

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My favourite was Infanta Cristina's bouquet: simply, tasteful and elegant; just like everything that day;)
I found very sweet when she gave it at the other church and Iñaki took one of the flowers and put it on his jacket, that took the awww factor through the roof:).
Have you realized that all the bouquets from the Borbon brides (at least those from the Royal House) have had "fleur de lys" (the symbol of the Borbon house) on them? the flower has also been made a pattern in all their dresses, check out Letizia, Elena and Cristina's dresses and look for yourself;)

Other bouquets I like:
Claire: another perfect wedding
Mabel: the only thing I liked from that wedding
Queen Margrethe: very tasteful and elegant

The one I didn't like:
Mette-Marit: original but I wouldn't use it on a wedding

Last edited by a moderator:
Questions:
who designes all those bouquets?
who choose flowers and what are they mean?

magnik said:
Questions:
who designes all those bouquets?
who choose flowers and what are they mean?

Love your question!

Here's what I've observed on this one. Of course, every bride is different, and so is her bouquet. However it seems to me that royal brides tend to opt for flowers tht have special meaning to them. They might be advised to do this by their new in-laws, I don't know. Each situation, as I said, is probably very different.

As an example, Dutch Princess Margriet, the younger sister of the Dutch Queen, chose daisies for her wedding bouquet. Her name, Margriet, means 'Daisy', hence her choice of flowers.

And the royal brides from the Spanish R Family, as someone earlier pointed out, all seemed to have French lillies incorporated into their bridal bouquests, as it's the official flower I believe of the family (is this correct?)

Mary Donaldon of Australia is another example of a royal bride who chose flowers with personal meaning. Her bouquet included Australian eucalyptus--my that must have smelled so lovely!

So a lot of these brides seem to make a special effort to personalize their bouquets.
Of course, some just pick whichever flowers they like & look good with the dress! And yes, I'd guess they'd get the help of a professional with that--but again, each bride is probably different in that.

The meaning of the blooms chosen for Letizia's bouquet are as follows:
Roses for the month of May
Apple blossoms for her northern home region of Asturias
Ears of Wheat for fertility
Lilies are the flower of the Borbon family

An added note of symbolism: All of the flowers were incorporated into the embroidery of her train -- a rather special and unique touch!

Source: Hello!

Some pictures of Letizia's bouquet from Corbis.

Last edited:
Alexandria said:
An added note of symbolism: All of the flowers were incorporated into the embroidery of her train -- a rather special and unique touch!
Wow, I didn't know that! I noticed sth, but didn't know what exackly it was. Thanks for info!:)

LaChicaMadrilena said:
Wow, I didn't know that! I noticed sth, but didn't know what exackly it was. Thanks for info!:)

You're welcome LaChicaMadrilena! :)

One of the things I love most about Felipe and Letizia, and that was very clear on their wedding day, is that nothing is done without some extra consideration or thoughtfulness for who they are as individuals, as a couple and what their roles are in Spain. There are layers of history and symbolism in what they do, even in small or subtle things that other people might not otherwise give thought to.

Not a wedding bouquet, but a bouquet that Crown Princess Victoria was presented with at a gala, is something I thought would make a lovely bouquet for a spring wedding.

I love the soft, delicate colours which compliment Victoria's lovely dress just so!

Source: UK Press, originally shared by purple_platinum in the Swedish forum

My favourites bouquets that I have seen on here have to be those of Princess Letizia and Princess Mary. Letizia's was simply beautiful and Mary's was striking. Also, although I wouldn't choose it for myself, I did like Mette-Marit's bouquet.:)

Alexandria said:
You're welcome LaChicaMadrilena! :)

One of the things I love most about Felipe and Letizia, and that was very clear on their wedding day, is that nothing is done without some extra consideration or thoughtfulness for who they are as individuals, as a couple and what their roles are in Spain. There are layers of history and symbolism in what they do, even in small or subtle things that other people might not otherwise give thought to.
That's so true. In that sense, they're arguably the royal couple who'd win when it comes to symbolism. A very tactful couple they make: they demonstrate, time and again, they have tremendous vision and respect for their role & place in the community that's Spain. (of course, one could argue that due to the ambivalence currently in Spain re. royalty and its future, this couple would be wise to tread carefully in all they do. And they do, it shows in their attitude. I think in that sense Philippe really knew what he was doing when picking a spouse, I have to admit)

Alexandria said:
Not a wedding bouquet, but a bouquet that Crown Princess Victoria was presented with at a gala, is something I thought would make a lovely bouquet for a spring wedding.
http://img343.imageshack.us/my.php?image=10my.jpg
http://img343.imageshack.us/my.php?image=10my.jpg

I love the soft, delicate colours which compliment Victoria's lovely dress just so!

Source: UK Press, originally shared by purple_platinum in the Swedish forum
Exactly my thoughts when I saw this picture on the Victoria thread! So stunning, both she and the flowers (although these incredible flowers did their best to upstage the princess ;)

Thank you all:) Interesting news.

Btw. Mette-Marit's bouquet was interesting, once I like it other time I hate. Really, I've never seen bouquet like this before. Maybe someone know who designed it or maybe why MM choose it?

Last edited:
The bouquet was desinged by Aina Nyberget Kleppe and Mette Marit. And as I know it was desinged special for the gown to match it. And I really think that it was the best choice to do so. I can't imagine another bouquet for this gown.

magnik said:
Thank you Tiger.

Btw. Did any other princess had designed her wedding bouquet before?

I would guess that most if not all of the princesses have some say over the flowers that will be in their bouquet. Didn't Mary request for some sort of Australian flower to be in her bouquet as tribute to her homeland?

soCal girl said:
I would guess that most if not all of the princesses have some say over the flowers that will be in their bouquet. Didn't Mary request for some sort of Australian flower to be in her bouquet as tribute to her homeland?

Yes she did. It was eucalyptus

I liked MC's bouquet.....very different.....

I really like Clothilde's bouquet. Its a beautiful color.
I'm also a big big big fan of Lady Davina Windsor's bouquet. I don't know why I am but its so pretty & such a vibrant color.

I love when brides carry colorful flowers versus having an all white bouquet. All white seems to blend too much into the bridal dress & seems to get lost.

Sorry, but I disagree. White flowers like white dress are symbols of innocent. And I am romantic so I don't want have a colorful bouquet... because then a bride can wear a colorful dress.
Colorful bouquet ypu can get on your birthday. ;)

Alexandria said:
The meaning of the blooms chosen for Letizia's bouquet are as follows:
Roses for the month of May
Apple blossoms for her northern home region of Asturias
Ears of Wheat for fertility
Lilies are the flower of the Borbon family

Ears of wheat are also part of the crest of the Prince of Asturias

Jamerican said:
I also think it is gorgeous. I really love the colour.

I absolutely adored it.It's unusual,artistic and it's the only bouquet I can remember in all the recent royal weddings.

~*~Humera~*~ said:
Crown Princess Sarah of Brunei carried her bouquet a few times during the wedding festivities.
Looks like it was made of gold and im sure there were a couple of diamonds in there as well.

Actualy I don't really like the bouquet, I think gold's bouquet is unusual. I prefer Princess Martaha Louise's bouquet. It was so simple but ellegant.

mims111 said:
Sorry, but I disagree. White flowers like white dress are symbols of innocent. And I am romantic so I don't want have a colorful bouquet... because then a bride can wear a colorful dress.
Colorful bouquet ypu can get on your birthday. ;)

There is nothing more romantic than red or blush-colored roses. White roses symbolize friendship and purity, red roses symbolize passion and romance. A combination of both would be best for a wedding bouquet. My wedding bouquet will have blush and red-colored roses, not white. My shoes will be white, my dress will be white, my veil will be white....too much white to have an all-white bouquet thrown in the mix.

My favorite bouquets of the ones mentioned were Maxima's, Letizia's and Mary's. I like Mette-Marit's bouquet for originality, as I wouldn't have the guts to have something like that, but for her it seemed to work. I can't picture that bouquet in the hands of someone else.

lotus said:
The bouquet of Crown Princess Sarah of Brunei is really amazing, most wedding bouquets are fresh flowers, but CP Sarah's bouquet is GOLD and Diamonds...They are so rich!
I beg to differ..the bouquet just screams..Look how rich we are, no one but us could afford to do something this outrageous!
To which I'd like to say: yeah yeah, we all know the Brunei family is the most loaded on the planet today, big deal.
I think this kind of display of wealth is really really tacky. These people may be rich, they're tacky to boot. Goes to show: all the money in the world doesn't necessarily buy, well, class.

I actually love Letizia's flowers.. before i thought that it was all white but when I saw a full frontal pic of her bouquet it was beautiful...it complements her gown.. I also like Mary's bec it's long. I adore Mette Marit's bec it was unique and it suits her gown.. it would be very horrible if MM flowers would be accentuated with ball-like flowing gowns.She's very brave to have chosen that kind of bouquet..I also like Cristina's..

Good Evening~

What type of flowers were in Princess Mette-Marit's Wedding Bouquet?

Thank You~

Crown Princess Mette Marit was involved in the design of her unusual wedding bouquet, worn on the hand like a muff, and created around wire and beads.
http://www.godubai.com/citylife/ls1.asp?article_id=2002/ABW%2324

The bridal bouquet is made up of rosary vine (Ceropegia woodii), Wanda orchid (Phalaenopsis orchids), hydrangeas, roses in pink and mauve tones, fescue, beads and metal threads.
The bouquet is fixed to wire mesh. The rosary vine forms a base on which the flowers , grasses and beads are mounted one after the other and attached with silver, copper, pink and burgundy metal threads. The colours are various soft tones of pink.

http://www.christinesroyalty.net/specialoccassions/haakon_mettemarit/dress.html

I think that CP Sarah's wedding Bouquet takes the cake in the positive sense. All the others are beautiful but this one there aren't words to describe how destinctive it is. wow wow wow Who said extravagance wasn't necessary he he he he he:lol: :flowers:

Humera said:
Crown Princess Sarah of Brunei carried her bouquet a few times during the wedding festivities.
Looks like it was made of gold and im sure there were a couple of diamonds in there as well.

Last edited:
Roshanah said:
I think that CP Sarah's wedding Bouquet takes the cake in the positive sense. All the others are beautiful but this one there aren't words to describe how destinctive it is. wow wow wow Who said extravagance wasn't necessary he he he he he:lol: :flowers:
again, I couldn't disagree more. It just says, 'cash', not 'cool'. It says 'look how rich we are'. But it also, to me, says, 'tacky tacky tacky'. Nouveau riche, that is what it says to me.

Favorites/Best
Lady Davina Windsor-I agree refreshing is the word for her bouquet I love the periwinkle color and the simple informality of her bouquet.

Lady Helen Windsor-At the opposite end I loved her more elegant pink and purple bouquet.Simply beautiful

Sabilla of Luxemberg-her flowers were just breathtaking-really stunning

Sophia of Wessexs's were very beautiful

Clothide's were the most romantic

Maxima's flowers were beautiful I love the mix of green in with the white.

Princess Aimee's bouquet in pretty shade of apricot were lovely(civil ceremony)

Mette-Merit's were the most interesting I liked them although not my favorites.

Least favorite/Worst
This one pains me because I adore her but Mathilde-looks like someone tore out the whole flower bed greens and all and just handed them to her.

Also Princess Farrah and Marie Chantal of Greece had rather boring boquets.

I really love Letizia's bouquet and Maxima's.

I personally loved the bouquets of Mette Marit, Letitzia (is that how you spell it?), Princess Sibillia, Tessy Anthony, Princess Martha Louise, Princess Anita and Princess Aimee. I didnt really love the bouquets of Maxima, Mary, Mathilde or Laurentien (and may be Annette and Marilene, but I'm partial to them), mainly because they were too much green and white, expecially mathilde. and the snow gum idea with mary's bouquet was a nice idea, but the result looked kind of wierd, but thats just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom