Royal House of Georgia 1: Ending 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Truth about Leonida Georgievna Kirbi (Bagration-Mukhranski).
Part 2.​

Thus Grand duke Vladimir Kirillovich - in 1948 has entered the Morganatic MARRIAGE from dissolved American civil Mrs. Leonida Kirbi, nee Bagration-Muhranski. After that marriage almost all Members of the Russian Imperial House have torn the relations with Vladimir Kirillovich. The exception was made by his uncle - Grand duke Andrey Vladimirovich, itself married to ballerina Matilde Kshesinsky. As to the Russian colony in Madrid, it has stopped any relations with Vladimir Kirillovich, considering that Leonida Georgievna cannot name itself "grand duchess" in any way.

It is necessary to notice that the family of Grand duke Vladimir Kirillovich - after unworthy and doubtful business - of operations of prince Irakli Bagration-Mukhranski (brother of Leonida Georgievna and grandfather of David), there were rather intense relations with generalissimo F.Franko and for some years they have been compelled to leave Spain.

In 1953, at Grand duke Vladimir Kirillovich and Leonida Georgievna was born the daughter, Maria Vladimirovna, nowadays self-appointedly claiming the Russian Throne. In 1969 Grand duke Vladimir Kirillovich declares the daughter «the successor of the Russian throne». However their Highnesses Princes of Imperial Blood- Vsevolod Ioannovich, Roman Petrovich and Andrey Aleksandrovich «as representatives of three branches of the Russian Imperial House» declared the protest. In the protest in particular it was said that «the marital status of the Spouse of Prince Vladimir Kirillovich equally with what Spouses of other Princes of Imperial Blood have, and we do not recognize behind her the right to be called as "grand duchess". This split remains till today; the majority of recent descendants of the House of Romanovs did not recognize use of a grand-ducal title by Leonida Georgievna.

For the first time after emigration Leonida has visited Russia together with Grand duke Vladimir Kirillovich from 5th to 11th of November, 1991. After death of the spouse, in 1992 Leonida Georgievna even more often began to visit Russia.

After of criticism act from Archbishop Antony of Los-Angeles in address of Vladimir Kirilovichs branch, Leonida Georgievna has publicly renounced Russian Orthodox Church in abroad.

In 1992 under the order of the president of the Russian Federation Boris Yeltsin, to Leonida itself and daughter Maria and grandson George have handed over passports of citizens of the Russian Federation, later of that, on elections of 1993 Leonida Georgievna has acted with support of the Kremlin and on elections in the State Duma was agitating for the authorities. (A democratic choice of Russia).

After death of Vladimir Kirillovicha, the name of head of the House of Romanovs began to use his daughter – Maria Vladimirovna, Leonida Georgievna helped in all her daughter, together they arranged «the highest visits», distributed "imperial" orders, ranks and titles.

Since 1995 Leonida Georgievna tried to achieve de jure recognition of "the Russian Imperial House», addressing in the letter to the chief of Security service of the president to general A.V.Korzhakov she tried to manage to get "the guest house in St.-Petersburg or in Moscow, or in immediate proximity from them".

One more political action made by Leonida Georgievna was a propaganda trip across Russia in support of Boris Yeltsin on presidential election of 1996.

So in Paris under the patronage of Leonida Georgievna has arisen «Committee of support of Boris Yeltsin». Here, what exactly was told by the princess about Yeltsin: «these days I communicate with common people and I try to convince them that Boris Yeltsin - the true Russian man. I am well familiar with him and I can testify: he sincerely loves Russia and wishes no evil. He was not afraid to throw down a challenge to communistic system, has returned to Russians the historical truth, religion. Thanks to him reforms in Russia are carrying out. It is possible to speak freely. Freely to visit each other. Certainly, lots of problems remains. But each time, coming to Russia, I am convinced that it all becomes independent, more strong and finds lines of the civilised state ».

In 2002 was her last visit to Russia , in October of the same year at the age of 88-years she was comprehended by a serious illness. Doctors have rescued her life, but since then a state of health does not allow her any more to make distant moving and aviation flights.

The whole epoch has gone - an epoch in which all terrible fatal events of the last century were reflected. Leonida Georgievna personified old tradition in dialogue and behaviour.

All who personally knew her remember her proud bearing, the polite and attentive conversation full of advantage speech – speech of the person born before revolution.

It is so sad to observe nowadays - vulgar behaviour of her daughter Maria and grandson George – such a contrast … …

eternal rest to her!

The late nobiliary law expert, Sir Iain Moncreiffe of that Ilk, PhD., LL.B, who was a member of the royal household of Queen Elizabeth II, perhaps summed things up best when he wrote: "[The] Bagration…dynasty had reigned in the male line as Kings from 886 until the 19th century, before the 17th century boyar family of Romanoff dispossessed them. Both Bagration and Romanoff are now dispossessed: which needs the official recognition of which?" ------------------------------ Decree of the Head of the Russian Imperial House, H.I.H. Grand Duke Wladimir Kirillovich, on the Recognition of the Royal Rank of the House of Bagration, 22 November/5 December 1946. His Royal Highness, the Infante Don Fernando of Spain, Prince of Bavaria, asked Me when his daughter, the Infanta Mercedes, was about to contract a marriage with Prince Irakly Georgievich Bagration of Moukhrani, whether, taking into account the independence of Georgia from 1918 to 1921 and the present position of its Royal Family, I could consider the proposed marriage to be an equal one. My reply, which was conveyed to the Infante through the intermediary of the Spanish Minister in Berne, the Count de Bailen, was in the affirmative, inasmuch as, after prolonged and careful study of the history of Georgia and of the Georgian question, and after consulting my uncle His Imperial Highness Grand Duke Andrei, brother of my late Father, and my advisers, and after correspondence with the historian, Professor M. Muskelishvili, I consider it right and proper to recognize the royal status of the senior branch of the Bagration family, as well as the right of its members to bear the title of Prince of Georgia and the style ... Ver másof Royal Highness. The present head of the family is Prince George. If Almighty God, in His mercy, grants the rebirth of our great empire, I consider it right that the Georgian language should be restored for use in the internal administration of Georgia and in her educational establishments. The Russian language should be obligatory for general use within the empire. I have decided to draw up this decree for the good of the Russian Empire and for the preservation of its territorial integrity in the future, and have deemed it right to affix my signature to it, in order to satisfy the legitimate national sentiments of the Georgian people and in the hopes of avoiding thereby a possible annexation of their fatherland by force of arms, in the event of its willful secession from the Russian Empire. (The original is signed in His Imperial Highness’s own hand:) Wladimir Sanlucar de Barrameda, 5 December 1946 --------------------------------- Decree of the Head of the Russian Imperial House, H.I.H. Grand Duke Wladimir Kirillovich, concerning His Marriage to H.R.H. Princess Leonida Georgievna, the Daughter of the Head of the Georgian Royal On this day was celebrated My Wedding with Princess Leonida Georgievna Bagration of Moukhrani, the daughter of the Head of the Georgian Royal House, Prince George Aleksandrovich. I decree that My Consort shall be granted the title Pious Grand Duchess Leonida Georgievna, with the style Imperial Highness. (The original is signed in His Imperial Highness’s own hand:) Wladimir Issued on 13 August 1948 Lausanne, Switzerland

the patriarch Illia II stated at Sioni`s Cathredal that Leonida Bagration Mukhraneli was a member of the Georgian Royal family and declared the members of Bagration Mukhraneli of Georgia Branch as a Batonishvili`s (tsarevich).

Thank you very much for posting that video, giorgi.

The Patriarch looks rather frail; I hope that he will be alright.

Can you tell us whether any members of the Georgian Royal Family attended the service that the Patriarch conducted for Grand Duchess Leonida?

Dear giorgi: Please notice that the prince tells words: "I consider it right and proper to recognize..." and where is the word "lawful"? And who gave the right to Vladimir Kirilovich giving to high-nobiliary family of Bagration-Mukhranski the royal status of Gruzinski ??? He had no right to such act when he itself was just a simple emigrant from Russia. He, even been not recognized by the rest of Romanovs families at that time. This unlawful precedent became the beginning of all those illegal acts against the true royal house of Georgia. Otherwise why Vladimir Kirilovich got married with Leonida not in Spain but in Lausanne (Switzerland) ???

***And Please do not use Patriarch to satisfy your ambitions. Anyway the trnslation made by "X" person on this U-tube video is doubtful ! and even if it`s so, please, be kind and do not keep Patriarch misinformed.

Varaz you can hear in georgian lenguge wath Patriarch say,no doubs about ,you worry?

leonida and Kiril married in Lausanne because in Spain was not a Orthodoz Church in this period ,and in wich comunist bureau married nugzar and his father??????.

giorgi says: "leonida and Kiril married in Lausanne because in Spain was not a Orthodox Church in this period..."
We answer: First of all Leonida`s husband`s name was Vladimir not Kiril and secondly during that time in Spain already there was specially allocated temple for Russian colonies of emigrants since 1918, it is obvious ! Almost all the royal relatives of Vladimir were there and they were against of that marriage ( including Russian church in emigration), that is why he was compeled to marry in Switzerland - Not in Russian orthodox church but in Greek church ! hidden away from everybody !
As for your slander regarding marriages of Royal family representatives we will answer: HRH Prince Nugzar has been betrothed with the princess Leila Kipiani (Kipiani - one of the high-nobiliary houses of west Georgia) in a cathedral of Svetitskhoveli in 1971. Wedding ceremony was held by Archibishop Keratishvili.

Thank you Varaz for the interesting and helpful on the succession subject.
I'd like to add some more information to support your point of view.

Note:
Although the Head of the House of Bagration-Mukhranski claims to be Head of the Royal House of Georgia, there is no historical, customary or legal justification for this claim. Salic laws of succession never applied to any of the Georgian Kingdoms. Indeed the final unification of the kingdoms of Kartli and Kakheti rests on female inheritance. There are numerous descendants in the natural and female lines, of the Houses of Kakheti and Kartli, and of Imereti, possessing superior claims to Regalty.
http://www.4dw.net/royalark/Georgia/georgia.htm

NOBILITY:Copyright ©Christopher Buyers
The Georgian nobility was largely organised on a military basis, the army being divided into several corps represented by "banners" (or drosha), each commanded by the great grandees of the realm. These grandees were petty sovereigns within their own domains, enjoying the power of life and death, but owing allegience to the king. During the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, the order of precedence was as follows:

1) H.M. The Most High King.
2) Princes of the Blood (batonishvili).
3) Great Officers of State:
a) Patriarch-Catholicos.
b) Chief Secretary (Mtsignobarth-Ukhutsesi).
c) Lord High Steward (Mandaturth-Ukhutsesi).
d) Lord High Constable (Amir-Spasalari).
e) Lord High Treasurer (Medchurchleth-Ukhutsesi).
f) Lord Great Chamberlain (Msakhurth-Ukhutsesi).
g) Grand Armourer (Meahjret-Ukhutsesi).

4) Grandees of the first class (Sul-didibuli-tavadi) of the Kingdom of Kartli, commanders of banners (drosha):
a) Prince of Mukhrani (Mukhrani-batoni), head of the house of Bagrationi-Mukhrani.
http://www.4dw.net/royalark/Georgia/nobility.htm

Thus princes Bagration-Muhranski were not Princes of the Blood in Kingdom of Georgia.

Unfortunately based on the information on RoyalArk website concerning the succession to the Throne of Georgia, the succession first goes to legitimate males, then if none then to illegitimate males and then and only then can the succession pass to legitimate female line then to illegitimate lines. Based on that the Princess Anna is NOT the heiress presumptive to the Georgian throne as there are still legitimate males alive in the Grouzinsky line, not sure about the illegitimate line. However should this line die out the Moukhransky branch of the Bagration family has numerous legitimate heirs. Based on the information a distant cousin, Prince Peter (born 1916) is heir presumptive to the Headship followed by his son, Prince Evgeny (born 1947). Upon their demise the Moukhransky line could and probably will be the Royal line by default, due to the Grouzinsky line dying out, unless their is an illegitimate line.

Correct! Prince Peter is heir presumptive to the Gruzinsky line and this line cannot pass to Princess Anna. The ruling monarch in this line made a decree that prohibits women inheriting the throne even if there are no males, unless she is married to Bagrationi. End of.
Moukharansky line won't be Royal line by default.

There seems to be some confusion as to who is the present "Head" of Georgian Royal House. Truth is, no one.
Before Georgian Royal Houses were annexed into Russia, there were two of them.
Kingdom of Kartl-Kakheti (roughly, East Georgia, old Kingdom of Iberia) (Grouzinsky line)
Kingdom of Imereti (roughly, West Georgia, old Kingdom og Kolkheti)

Bagrationi-Mukhransky cannot claim Kingdom of Georgia. They had princedom of Kartli, ruling under and with the consent of King of Kartl-Kakheti. I don't see how they can suddenly "take away" half of the Kingdom from the present heirs! Mind you, not the half, entire Kingdom and the Kingdom of Imereti, as well and declare themselves to be the "head" of the Royal House of Georgia. Nonsense! Besides, there were other princedoms in Georgia, imagine if they all start claiming that this entitles them to put the claim to the whole Georgian Kingdom.

very interesting article on wikipedia
Treaty of Georgievsk
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search - Treaty of Georgievsk
A Georgian version preserved at the Georgian National Center of Manuscripts
Signed - Location July 24, 1783
The Treaty of Georgievsk (Russian: Георгиевский трактат, Georgievskiy traktat; Georgian: გეორგიევსკის ტრაქტატი, georgievskis trak'tati) was a bilateral treaty concluded between the Russian Empire and the east Georgian kingdom of Kartli-Kakheti on July 24, 1783. The treaty established Georgia as a protectorate of Russia, which guaranteed Georgia's territorial integrity and the continuation of its reigning Bagrationi dynasty in return for prerogatives in the conduct of Georgian foreign affairs. Georgia abjured any form of dependence on Persia or another power, and every new Georgian monarch would require the confirmation and investiture of the Russian tsar.

Terms
Under articles I, II, IV, VI and VII of the treaty’s terms, Russia’s empress became the official and sole suzerain of Kartli-Kakheti’s rulers, guaranteeing the Georgians’ internal sovereignty and territorial integrity, and promising to "regard their enemies as Her enemies" [1]. Each of the Georgian kingdom’s tsars would henceforth be obliged to swear allegiance to Russia’s emperors, to support Russia in war, and to have no diplomatic communications with other nations without Russia’s prior consent.
Given Georgia’s history of invasions from the south, an alliance with Russia may have been seen as the only way to discourage or resist Persian and Ottoman aggression, while also establishing a link to Western Europe.[2] In the past, Georgia’s kings had not only accepted formal domination by Turkish and Persian emperors, but had occasionally converted to Islam and sojourned at their capitals. Thus it was neither a break with Georgian tradition nor a unique capitulation of independence for Kartli-Kakheti to trade vassalage for peace with a powerful neighbor. However, in the treaty’s preamble and article VIII the bond of Orthodox Christianity between Georgians and Russians was acknowledged, and Georgia’s primate, the Catholicos, became Russia’s eighth, permanent archbishop and a member of Russia’s Holy Synod.

Other treaty provisions included mutual guarantees of an open border between the two realms for travelers, emigrants and merchants (articles 10, 11), while Russia undertook to refrain from intervening, militarily or civilly, with Kartli-Kakheti’s internal affairs or taxing authority (article VI). Article III created an investiture ceremony whereby the Georgian kings, upon swearing fealty to Russia’s emperors, would receive in return such tokens of respect as a sword, scepter and ermine mantle.

The treaty was negotiated on behalf of Russia by Lieutenant-General Pavel Potemkin, commander of Russia’s troops in Astrakhan, a delegate and cousin of General Prince Grigori Alexandrovich Potemkin, who was the official Russian plenipotentiary. Kartli-Kakheti’s official delegation consisted of a Kartlian and a Kakhetian, both of high rank: Ioané (Bagrationi)-batonishvili (1755-1800), the 18th Mukhranbatoni (Prince of Mukhrani, referred to in the Russian version of the treaty as "Prince Ivan Konstantinovich Bagration"), Constable of the Left-Hand Army and son-in-law of the Georgian king, [3] and Adjutant-General Garsevan Chavchavadze, Governor of Kazakhi (aka Prince Garsevan Revazovich Chavchavadze, member of a Kakhetian princely family of the third rank, vassals of the Abashidze princes). [4] These emissaries officially signed the treaty at the fortress of Georgievsk in the North Caucasus on July 24, 1783. It was then formally ratified by the Georgian King Erekle II and Empress Catherine the Great in 1784.

Last edited by a moderator:
[edit] Aftermath

The results of the Treaty of Georgievsk proved disappointing for the Georgians.[5] King Erekle’s adherence to it prompted Persia’s new ruler, Agha Mohammad Khan, to invade. Russia did nothing to help the Georgians during the disastrous Battle of Krtsanisi in 1795, which left Tbilisi sacked and Georgia ravaged (including the west Georgian kingdom of Imereti, ruled by Erekle II’s grandson, King Solomon II). Belatedly, Catherine declared war on Persia and sent an army to Transcaucasia. But her death shortly thereafter put an end to Russia’s Persian Expedition of 1796, as her successor, Paul, turned to other strategic objectives. Persia’s Shahanshah next contemplated the removal of the Christian population from eastern Georgia and eastern Armenia, launching the campaign from Karabagh. His goal was frustrated not by Russian resistance, but by a Persian assassin in 1797.
On January 14, 1798, King Erekle II was succeeded on the throne by his eldest son, George XII (1746-1800) who, on February 22, 1799, recognized his own eldest son, Tsarevich David (Davit Bagrationi-batonishvili), 1767-1819, as official heir apparent. In the same year Russian troops were stationed in Kartli-Kakheti. Pursuant to article VI of the treaty, Emperor Paul confirmed David’s claim to reign as the next king on April 18, 1799. But strife broke out among King George’s many sons and those of his late father over the throne, Erekle II having changed the succession order at the behest of his third wife, Queen Darejan, to favor the accession of younger brothers of future kings over their own sons. The resulting dynastic upheaval prompted King George to secretly invite Paul I to invade Kartli-Kakheti, subdue the Bagratid princes, and govern the kingdom from St. Petersburg, on the condition that George and his descendants be allowed to continue to reign nominally – in effect, offering to mediatize the Bagratid dynasty under the Romanov emperors.[1] Continued pressure from Persia, also prompted George XII's request for Russian intervention. [2]
Paul tentatively accepted this offer, but before negotiations could be finalized changed his mind and issued a decree on December 18, 1800 annexing Kartli-Kakheti to Russia and deposing the Bagratids.[3] Paul himself died shortly thereafter. It is said that his successor, Emperor Alexander I, considered retracting the annexation in favor of a Bagratid heir, but being unable to identify one likely to retain the crown, on September 12, 1801 Alexander proceeded to confirm annexation.[4] Meanwhile, King George had died on December 28, 1800, before learning that he had lost his throne. By the following April, Russian troops took control of the country’s administration and in February 1803 Tsarevich David Bagrationi was escorted by Russian troops from Tbilisi to St. Petersburg. He was pensioned, joined the Russian Senate, and retained his royal style until May 6, 1833 when he was demoted from tsarevich (the Russian equivalent of batonishvili) to "prince" (knyaz), along with other members of the deposed dynasty, following an abortive uprising in Georgia led by David’s uncle, Prince Alexandre Bagrationi.
Paul’s annexation of east Georgia and exile of the Bagratids remains controversial: Soviet historians would later maintain that the treaty was an act of "brotherhood of the Russian and Georgian peoples" that justified annexation to protect Georgia both from its historical foreign persecutors and its "decadent" native dynasty. Nonetheless, no bilateral amendment had been ratified altering article VI sections 2 and 3 of the 1784 treaty, which obligated the Russian emperor "to preserve His Serene Highness Tsar Irakli Teimurazovich and the Heirs and descendants of his House, uninterrupted on the Throne of the Kingdoms of Kartli and Kakheti...forbidding [the Emperor’s] Military and Civil Authorities from intervention in any [domestic laws or orders]."

Thankfully, Georgia is not ruled with monarchy now, otherwise there would be a battle between these familis as far as I see.:ohmy::whistling: Maybe they should pay more attention what they can contribute to the development of their country rather than who must be the head of the royal house of Georgia. So they can be the Kings or the Queens of hearts.;)

Millions and millions of people have royal ancestors, but that does not make them royal. It is estimated that 80% of the original stock of Europeans are all descended from Charlemagne and Mohammed, but only .001% of them are authentic and genuine royals. The Gruzinski branch descend from every line of kings from all of the three royal houses of Georgia. This line is the only true and royal sovereign house that exists for all of Georgia. All other lines are of the nobility or high nobility and are non-dynasts. This includes all the other 100 plus princely houses of Georgia many of whom had greater prestige than the Mukhrani house. This truth is important to understand.

On December 5, 1946, HIH Grand Duke Vladimir Kirilovich (1917-1992) made gave an opinion, not an authoritative ruling, which has been wrongfully used to suggest that the Muhkanski branch of offshoot princes, who had no royal, collateral, or sovereign rights in the Kingdom of Georgia, were suddenly somehow magically transformed into royals, when they were a lesser line of the high nobility, not royalty at all. Problems:

First, Vladimir Kirilovich was not universally recognized as the rightful heir of Imperial Russia, especially at this particular time. Note: (1) “The heads of the other branches of the imperial family, the Princes Vsevolod loannovich (Konstantinovichi), Roman Petrovich (Nikolaevichi) and Andrei Alexandrovich (Mihailovichi) writing to Vladimir in 1969 said that he had married unequally and that his wife was of no higher status than the wives of the other Romanov princes.” (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Kirillovich
,_Grand_Duke_of_Russia#cite_ref-4), (2) “The Romanov Family Association, which supports the claim of . . . Nicholas to be head of the House of Romanov, believes that the marriage was morganatic [that is, the Muhkranski’s were not royals, but nobles and therefore unequal].” (Ibid.), and (3) “As he [Vladimor Kirilovich] was not a grandson of an Emperor his claimed title of Grand Duke of Russia caused problems as to what to [validly and authentically] put on his grave.” (Ibid.) The point is, his authority was in question.

5417fe150.jpg
Second, he gave this decree as his opinion only. Opinions are not facts, nor are they absolute or final. As such, they must be defined as questionable and may have been prompted by a hidden agenda, especially since he married into this family two years later, and "Romanov house law dictates that only those children who are the product of an 'equal marriage'—between a Romanov prince and a princess from another royal, not just noble, house — are eligible to be included in the Imperial line of succession; children of morganatic [such unequal] marriages are excluded from the succession." (Ibid.)

Third, the Muhkranski branch were not "the senior branch of the Bagration family." The senior branch was the line of the kings, not a line of nobles with no dynastic rights. Note: "Leonida's branch [of the Muhkanski] had not been regnant in the male line as Kings of Georgia since 1505 and had been simply Russian nobility since then." (Ibid.); and

Fourth, Vladimir Kirilovich unlawfully by-passed any recognition for the true Royal House of Georgia, the line of the kings, who reigned all the way to 1800, and gave only the Muhkranski non-dynastic line the supposed right ". . . to bear the title of Prince of Georgia and the style of Royal Highness." (Vladimir Kirilovich 1946 decree) All of this was so out of order that as stated before, the Royal House of Spain rejected it completely and entirely. The Muhkranski line lost the status to be “infante,” or royal princes, of Spain because of this.

About Treaty of Georgievsk
However, the "Treaty of Georgievsk" of 1784, which he made with the Catherine II of Russia, made it clear that the Russian emperor was "to preserve His Serene Highness Tsar Irakli Teimurazovich and the Heirs and descendants of his House, uninterrupted on the Throne of the Kingdoms of Kartli and Kakheti . . . forbidding [the Emperor’s] Military and Civil Authorities from intervention in any [domestic laws or orders]." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty
_of_Georgievsk) This treaty made the Kingdom of Georgia a protectorate of Imperial Russia, but left its sovereignty fully and completely intact. As Johann Wolfgang Textor (1693-1771), one of the founding fathers of international law, declared:

There is . . . no absurdity in the possession . . . of true rights of sovereignty by one who yet is and remains the vassal of another. This is, indeed, the case, where the vassal is so vested with the practical lordship (dominium utile) of a realm --- which implies the utmost force and effect of sovereignty --- that he can exercise it, so far as rights of Majesty are concerned, independently of the consent of his directly superior lord. . . . (Synopsis of the Law of Nations, 1680, trans. 1916, chapter IX, no. 22)

Textor wrote that even a fief is sovereign if the internal rights are preserve. He declared,". . . I have no doubt that the King may enjoy the rights of Majesty, although his Kingdom be [merely] a fief. . . ."(Ibid., no. 21) By definition:

A protectorate, in international law, is an autonomous territory that is protected diplomatically or militarily against third parties by a stronger state or entity. In exchange for this, the protectorate usually accepts specified obligations, which may vary greatly, depending on the real nature of their relationship. However, it retains sufficient measure of sovereignty and remains a state under international law. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protectorate)

The United Kingdom of Kartli and Kakheti retained all of its internal sovereign majesty and glory as an independent state under the provisions of the Treaty, and it made the annexation of the Kingdom in 1801 completely illegal and unlawful violating the Treaty and violating international law. This means that HRH Prince Nugzar holds "de jure" sovereignty as the rightful successor to the wrongfully deposed monarchy of Georgia. (See: "Sovereignty: Questions and Answers")

(15) The kingdoms of Kartli and Kakheti were vassals of both the Persia and the Ottoman Empire at different periods from 1516. Hence, some say they were not real sovereign kings, but in international law, ". . . tributory states, and those subject to a kind of feudal dependence or vassalage, are still considered as sovereign. . . .” (Henry Wager Halleck, Elements of International Law and Laws of War, 2009, p. 44) ". . . Their sovereignty is not affected by this relation.” (Henry Wheaton, Elements of International Law, 1836, chapter 2, no. 3, p. 52) Many wars were fought to maintain these rights. Finally, in 1784, Imperial Russia recognized their sovereignty and the sovereign rights of the king's legitimate successors. The Russian Empire then became legal protectors of the kings again without a loss of sovereignty. (See #8)

(16) The was no abdication when Russia annexed the Kingdom of Georgia in 1801. The kings remained true and faithful to their people and their ancient dynasty. The annexation was fought against. It was opposed. And the royal family risked their lives to do so.

Hello Varaz. you seem to know lot about royal geneology. Excuse my ignorance about Georgian Royal Family or Families. Indeed IMO it is normal to have more than one royal family for a counrty in Caucasia, where there is a lot of historical, cultural and ethnic variety. I want to ask you something different. Which member of these families is the most popular in Georgia? You know the one who young people take as a role model and the elder respect for his/her hard work? Thank you in advance.:flowers:

Dear wingsofsky,
Thanks for your estimate.
Yes of course, it is HRH Crown Prince Nugzar !

Without mention of that difficult life, which he endured during communistic epoch, notwithstanding, he received the big love and respect from an intellectual society. He is known both by the governmental ranks and members of the public. But I ask to consider that royal families were not loved both by communists and even by today's republican governments. They are who fight against popularization of members of royal family in their own countries.

Wow Varaz, lots of good info.! Its good that we agree on Mukhransky claim. I think the fact that Mukhransky prince has signed the Giorgievsky traktat as a representative of the Kartl-Kakheti King, and he didn't protest when he was referred as a Prince Mukhransky and not as a King of Kartli. He was also entered as such in the Russian Imperial "book". It's completely inappropriate that centuries later his heirs claim that very kingdom that their ancestor didn't claim himself or indeed have thought to have such a right.
By the way, what's the position (officially) of the Georgian nobility that were entered as belonging to Russian Imperial House? As far as I know it was written in the Giorgievsky Traktat that they should be treated same as Russian nobility (wierd clause)?

Hi Wingofsky. To answer your earlier question.... Ufortunately, Bagrationi family always fought with each other for the Kingdom. There are some gruesome historical facts about the fights. As far as I know the Kingdom of Imereti heirs were willing to forego their claims in favour of HRH Nugzar, but now that Anna is not married to Bagrationi and ultimately she can't inherit the Kingdom, I have no idea what their position is. The women in that line can become heirs if there are no male heirs (marrying Bagrationi is not required here). But recently, some other Bagrationi line with a male heir, allegedly put the claim forward for the Kingdom of Imereti. Unfortunately, I don't know if he is related. if I'm not mistaken he needs to show that there is a common relation "within" seven generations immediately preceding current one. Because heirs of this Kingdom have not been vocal about their inheritance most of us don't know the Imereti line well after Solomon II, the last ruling King of this Kingdom.

To answer your other question... its hard to say that they do anything. As Varaz here pointed out the government is fearful of the possibility of the Kingdom of Georgia, and is doing everything in their power (including KGB style "honey traps") to ridicule the claim. They control very closely TV and the Royals or the claimants are all ridiculed in the closely scripted programms. So, even if they were doing something, I wouldn't know about it, unless they are doing something bad! :D
I have to say that HRH is popular in the older generation. Not so much in the younger one though (although he is not thought to be a bad character or anything lik this). In the younger generations Davit and Anna seem to be popular (to be fair the only ones we knew about) before the marriage. Perhaps not anymore. Such a shame!
We georgians, are incredibly hard to please! :flowers:

Former Orthodox priest Basil Kobakhidze claims that the Georgian government was so threatened by the possibility of the marriage of Prince David and Princess Anna producing an heir that the government sent a young woman who had posed for the Georgian edition of Playboy to seduce Prince David and thus help break up the inconvienent Bagrationi union.

Kobakhidze also says that Prince David does not speak a word of Georgian, and that the Patriarchate was directly responsible for this attempt to bring about a monarchical restoration.

Source: Religioscope: Géorgie: Eglise et Etat, vers un conflit inévitable?

The young lady with whom Prince David allegedly committed adultery is named Shorena Begashvili. She is 28 years old and works as a model and actress.

Source: Vestnik Kavkaza

Last edited by a moderator:
This treaty made the Kingdom of Georgia a protectorate of Imperial Russia, but left its sovereignty fully and completely intact. As Johann Wolfgang Textor (1693-1771), one of the founding fathers of international law, declared:
There is . . . no absurdity in the possession . . . of true rights of sovereignty by one who yet is and remains the vassal of another. This is, indeed, the case, where the vassal is so vested with the practical lordship (dominium utile) of a realm --- which implies the utmost force and effect of sovereignty --- that he can exercise it, so far as rights of Majesty are concerned, independently of the consent of his directly superior lord. . . . (Synopsis of the Law of Nations, 1680, trans. 1916, chapter IX, no. 22)

Textor wrote that even a fief is sovereign if the internal rights are preserve. He declared, ". . . I have no doubt that the King may enjoy the rights of Majesty, although his Kingdom be [merely] a fief. . . ." (Ibid., no. 21) By definition:

A protectorate, in international law, is an autonomous territory that is protected diplomatically or militarily against third parties by a stronger state or entity. In exchange for this, the protectorate usually accepts specified obligations, which may vary greatly, depending on the real nature of their relationship. However, it retains sufficient measure of sovereignty and remains a state under international law. (Protectorate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

The United Kingdom of Kartli and Kakheti retained all of its internal sovereign majesty and glory as an independent state under the provisions of the Treaty, and it made the annexation of the Kingdom in 1801 completely illegal and unlawful violating the Treaty and violating international law. This means that HRH Prince Nugzar holds "de jure" sovereignty as the rightful successor to the wrongfully deposed monarchy of Georgia.

Dear "Ledy S",
Such decree simply does not exist. The ruling monarch? Which monarch? You probably confuse with the project of successor Crown Prince David (son of King Giorgi XII) which was not the monarch. In project he mentions a theme of inheritance of a throne because of fear of (ex) Queen Daredzhan who was stepmother of King Giorgi XII and who struggled against king. Her target to grip a throne lawfully belonging to King Giorgi XII. That was indeed a real reason of that point in above mentioned project. But consider that in this case there were direct male heirs of King. The Prince David`s project was unlegalized !

Any news about Prince David?Why doesn't he learn the language of his country?

As for David, on Georgian national TV there was a transfer few days ago about David`s false orders and he was exposed as the charlatan and false pretender to the Georgian throne.

Yes, "vsriCo", Yes... That David.
Unfortunately too much falsehood on wikipedia. It is really sad...

Unfortunately too much falsehood on wikipedia. It is really sad...

You know, the beauty of Wikipedia is that you can correct falsehoods so long as you have legitimate reliable sources to back you up. Be sure to use in text citations.

I look forward to seeing your edits!

It is good to be such naive as you are "Keystone", but unfortunately they block the truth constantly...

For example see georgia

Copyright ©Christopher Buyers Copyright ©Christopher Buyers
Note:
Although the Head of the House of Bagration-Mukhranski claims to be Head of the Royal House of Georgia, there is no historical, customary or legal justification for this claim. Salic laws of succession never applied to any of the Georgian Kingdoms. Indeed the final unification of the kingdoms of Kartli and Kakheti rests on female inheritance. There are numerous descendants in the natural and female lines, of the Houses of Kakheti and Kartli, and of Imereti, possessing superior claims to Regalty.

... But Wikipedia still keeps false claim of Mukhransky. Why ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom