Red Cross Ball, Monaco: 2005 - 2019, 2021 - 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think this year's dress was Jikki like the white one she wore in 1999's Red Cross, and she also wore a white one (one shoulder) in 1996's Red Cross Ball. Stephanie has never worn a dress like the one Charlene wore, and the only ones in similar style that she wore like Charlene's were back in 1982 (Grace's engagement party dress), 1983 and 1984 Red Cross Balls...

As far as I remember this dress is "new" for Stephanie yet I find it similar in the shape or sth also to 2001's Red Cross dress too.

Maybe Charlene got hers at Jikki too.

As for many years Caroline was the best dressed sister this time Stephanie was much better.
Since last few weeks (or maybe months) I don't like what Caroline's wearing. Sometimes I think that Caroline want to look younger than she really is.

Charlene looks better than Caro too.

I totally disagree: in my opinion Caro was the best looking and best dressed...a symbol of elegance as always; Charlene was second, I really liked the dress but not as much the hair; last was Steph, her dress was fine but didn't suit her much, and was not enough a "ball dress". JMO.

Gala's blurb.... Glamourous charlene,... she's Albert's friend (no other word:D)........;Albert is more relaxed..he seems wanting to settle her in Monaco....charlene is doing a good job during official events...she's closed with stéphanie...she's indossociable from "boss"..some monegasque are criticizing him because too much travels..:)cool:eek:h oh ). albert says no wedding but "we" can't trust him.. It was her last event before going in Tunisia to compete..; :ROFLMAO:
gala 3
gala 4
gala 2

As for many years Caroline was the best dressed sister this time Stephanie was much better.
Since last few weeks (or maybe months) I don't like what Caroline's wearing. Sometimes I think that Caroline want to look younger than she really is.

Charlene looks better than Caro too.

I agree magnik. I was surprised at how much I disliked Caroline's dress. It pains me to say this because she is one of my style icons but lately some of her fashion choices have me scratching my head. The gown did not flatter her figure at all, it made her appear thick and matronly. And the bottom with those shreds...was just awful, IMO. But I did love her hair!

I thought Charlene looked best this year.

lilae, is there a way to enlarge your scans, because I can't read anything? Thanks

I totally disagree: in my opinion Caro was the best looking and best dressed...a symbol of elegance as always; Charlene was second, I really liked the dress but not as much the hair; last was Steph, her dress was fine but didn't suit her much, and was not enough a "ball dress". JMO.

I agree, especially after seeing a nice large picture of Caroline's dress in a copy of the Spring ed. "New Riviera" Mag. It's a view of the back of it. I'm sure it even looked better up close & in person.

lilae, is there a way to enlarge your scans, because I can't read anything? Thanks
I'm going to post it later..; i'm on vacations i have to find a scan in some Webcafé.

My firends and I who don't post think Charlene looked very nice.

I didn't like Caroline's dress either. It looked like an armour. ;-)

Stephanie looked as if she had been taken to the gala against her will, while Charlene looked great.

Yes it is always the first week of August, after which local administration goes on holidays. This year they wanted Diana Ross (in todays paper it said that they had to have a big star which is why it had to be moved forward...Diana Ross big star in the 80s? certainly no more and a bit too much in the bottle last time I heard, but that puts her maybe back in the list of todays stars?:rolleyes:) and apparently this was the only time she was free. Hmh, tomorrow there is Rod Stewart. Wasn't/Isn't he bigger then Diana Ross?

I felt I needed to reply to this. Diana Ross has a perennial (rises and falls) career of 40 plus years. She is the quintessence of America's Motown Music Era. She recently is in demand again. She received some honor award of prestige-? don't remember the organization. She is invited to top affairs/parties today. She coached the American Idol show the week her songs were presented.

Sorry to hear if the bottle statement is prevalent enough to mention. After the end of her marriage to the German industrialist,father of her 2 young boys, who died shortly afterward- I did see some sort of acting out behavior and one drink related incident. But then I don't read much European news.

Diana gives an exciting performance, she is fabulous looking. The mother of 5 children. She,imo is a world-conscious woman. Presents as a lady's lady. She did the "love child" thing, a daughter; 2 daughters /Hollywood marriage; the Germany-America marriage of two teen boys.

She presents a good show and is great to look at-

She and Rod are different types,somewhat. I think they are somewhat near in age. She has, more of an iconic stature. She must make huge royalties. Her songs are like by-words. Performers of long standing-their popularity comes and goes

I agree, especially after seeing a nice large picture of Caroline's dress in a copy of the Spring ed. "New Riviera" Mag. It's a view of the back of it. I'm sure it even looked better up close & in person.
Caro's gown was a magnum opus by Chanel again .Quite difficult couture for even a seasoned veteran like caro to wear but she wore it with aplomb & panache which is always her forte.
A fantastic gown that was labour intensive. How many hours went into it is amazing to think of as it was made by hand.. Comparatively Charlene looked like she had been stepped on and flattened with that ludicrous part down the middle of her hair...... and the pasty lipstick and the one dimensional strapless gown with no stole or scarf.

Last edited:
I think Charlene looked really nice. But I think no matter how she looks, someone is going to put her down because they do not like her.

I think Charlene looked really nice. But I think no matter how she looks, someone is going to put her down because they do not like her.
Tastes are different, so there will always be someone who likes one dress more then the other, regardless of whether or not we like the person. Lately Charlene has been wearing the same dress as Steph and I think the dress looked better on her then on Charlene (though I would have thought it inapproriate for both as to me it is more a starlet dress then a princess dress..I'm referring to the dress Steph wore in 2004 and Charlene to city hall reception). I simply think so because the contrast to Charlenes complexion and her overdyed hair was simply too strong, whereas Steph had her usual tan and jetblack hair. And she filled out the top part better, but that I guess will be Charlenes problem with any dress.

Personally I liked the dress that Melanie was wearing, though I think it would have looked better on her if she lost a few kilos ( and no I don't think that she would have to be as thin as Steph or Caro, but a few kilos less and it would have looked much better on her)

Monaco: Aint What It Used To Be

I don't know, perhaps it's just me, but personally I feel present day Monaco and its Royal Family very much pale in comparison to the heyday of Rainier & Grace. Caroline, Albert & Stephanie, for all that they are the offspring of their parents, just don't seem to have 'IT' any more. Caroline and Stephanie seem to look progressively and outright bored at these events, and Albert, well,
let's just say he is no Rainier.

The Red Cross Ball, for all that it WAS under Grace and Rainier and the truly 'beautiful people' who attended long ago, just seems to become more mundane as the years go by. Perhaps its because, as I'll repeat below, the world has grown up; a world where increasingly the population overall knows the truth: we are all equal, all the same when it comes right down to it.

While I realize that hanging the huge blow-up photo of Grace was a homage to the 25th anniversary of her death (God, has it really been 25 years?) I also find it quite ironic, revealing, and sad that this beautiful woman who has been dead for a quarter of a century was the classiest act in the room!

The Red Cross Ball, and indeed all official events in Monaco seem to have become as flat as stale ginger ale. Long, long gone are the jet-set of years ago - the men and women who TRULY exuded charisma, charm and 'celebrity'. Gone are the Cary Grants, the Frank Sinatras, the Elizabeth Taylor's (still alive but in her twilight years) Maria Callas, Aristotle Onassis, Vivien Leigh and Laurence Olivier - all gone. And replaced with, today, what?
MTV and American sitcom/film stars who by no stretch of the imagination hold a proverbial spotlight to their predecessors.

And, indeed, gone is Princess Grace and Prince Rainier, the two pivotal, charismatic individuals who truly put Monaco on the world map. We will never see their likes again, folks. Sad, but true. Perhaps it's no coincidence that Monaco 'exploits' (pardon the term, but that's the way I see it) Grace's image whenever it can; for Monaco, deep down, knows that this magnificent woman, long dead, exudes the one imperative selling featurethat alludes all others: Star Quality.

The truth is, for Monaco's Royal Family, and indeed other Royal Families, is that perhaps (again my opinion) the parade has finally gone by. Perhaps, as I mentioned above, the world has grown up since Grace's marriage in 1956 and untimely death in 1982; perhaps the world at large has removed its rose-coloured glasses when it comes to 'Royalty' - a term, a way of life that seems increasinglly archaic, what with the wonderful progress (for the most part) made in regards to human rights the world over.

I have to admit, it's becoming increasingly 'hard' for me to look upon 'Royal Families', whatever that term means anymore - if it DOES mean anything anymore - as being 'special'.

Perhaps I myself have grown up a little, too.

There, just my opinion, folks.

I do agree with most of what you said Johnnie. I just think most people now like royalty because of their grand lifestyle. Grand but not necessary lifestyle. We all still would like to believe in fairytales, princesses, princes, etc, but deep down we now they are just people like me and you.

I don't know, perhaps it's just me, but personally I feel present day Monaco and its Royal Family very much pale in comparison to the heyday of Rainier & Grace. Caroline, Albert & Stephanie, for all that they are the offspring of their parents, just don't seem to have 'IT' any more. Caroline and Stephanie seem to look progressively and outright bored at these events, and Albert, well,
let's just say he is no Rainier.

The Red Cross Ball, for all that it WAS under Grace and Rainier and the truly 'beautiful people' who attended long ago, just seems to become more mundane as the years go by. Perhaps its because, as I'll repeat below, the world has grown up; a world where increasingly the population overall knows the truth: we are all equal, all the same when it comes right down to it.

While I realize that hanging the huge blow-up photo of Grace was a homage to the 25th anniversary of her death (God, has it really been 25 years?) I also find it quite ironic, revealing, and sad that this beautiful woman who has been dead for a quarter of a century was the classiest act in the room!

The Red Cross Ball, and indeed all official events in Monaco seem to have become as flat as stale ginger ale. Long, long gone are the jet-set of years ago - the men and women who TRULY exuded charisma, charm and 'celebrity'. Gone are the Cary Grants, the Frank Sinatras, the Elizabeth Taylor's (still alive but in her twilight years) Maria Callas, Aristotle Onassis, Vivien Leigh and Laurence Olivier - all gone. And replaced with, today, what?
MTV and American sitcom/film stars who by no stretch of the imagination hold a proverbial spotlight to their predecessors.

And, indeed, gone is Princess Grace and Prince Rainier, the two pivotal, charismatic individuals who truly put Monaco on the world map. We will never see their likes again, folks. Sad, but true. Perhaps it's no coincidence that Monaco 'exploits' (pardon the term, but that's the way I see it) Grace's image whenever it can; for Monaco, deep down, knows that this magnificent woman, long dead, exudes the one imperative selling featurethat alludes all others: Star Quality.

The truth is, for Monaco's Royal Family, and indeed other Royal Families, is that perhaps (again my opinion) the parade has finally gone by. Perhaps, as I mentioned above, the world has grown up since Grace's marriage in 1956 and untimely death in 1982; perhaps the world at large has removed its rose-coloured glasses when it comes to 'Royalty' - a term, a way of life that seems increasinglly archaic, what with the wonderful progress (for the most part) made in regards to human rights the world over.

I have to admit, it's becoming increasingly 'hard' for me to look upon 'Royal Families', whatever that term means anymore - if it DOES mean anything anymore - as being 'special'.

Perhaps I myself have grown up a little, too.

There, just my opinion, folks.

Thanks for your opinion Johnnie. I have to agree. Sadly as the internet and tabloids have increasingly exposed the royals private lives more and more, the illusion of a fairytale fades quickly. There are still royals that I think will rise to the occasion as they mature but in Monaco's case, I'm still hoping the trio will rise to the occasion and bring the glamor back. Charlotte has huge potential to be the one to do it. JMO

It sad to said that they let someone come in between the family. You can tell the different NOW & THEN.

Glistening Seas

:) i truly think there is no need for the "sadness" with regards to Monaco's future it is still quite vibrant and alive as it has always been. Surely, Princess Grace and Ranier will always be missed however, this is an interim time for Caroline, steph and PA where it is simply a period of "adjustment". Much like in every situation, this family's needs for "breathing space" for adjustment is necessary for Monaco.:monacostandard:. there has been alot of housecleaning to be done and "whatever" else is necessary to happen as Monaco poises itself for it's future which is indeed bright as it has always been. Once that adjustment time period come--people will have to "look out" for Monaco glitter will be brighter than ever. Change is never easy as we all know; but always well worth the trouble imho.:rainbow: It's always important that as Monaco moves towards the futre and all the things this millenium holds that it's past moves directly beside it never allowing the future to obscure the past and never allowing the past to hold back it's future it's the only way true progress can ever exist in any society. So the need for handwringing is simply not there--take a deeeep breath and understand that if his dad had no trouble believing to his son's capability--and there is no doubt that Ranier didn't have any trouble believing in his son and family's capability--no one else should either. :eek: it doesn't mean to live blindly it simply means to never loose objectivity. :D

his advisors as well are equally as capable they have made it this far. :king4::ROFLMAO::whistling::innocent:

Last edited:
Strange though, during the Grace Kelly period of time, the aristocrats were complaining about Monaco not being the place it used to be before her arrival.

She brought many Hollywood stars over there, and horror of horrors, flocks of American tourists and "nouveaux riches" into the tiny principality.

After Grace's death it was the turn of the supermodels such as Claudia Shiffer, Linda Evangelista and Valeria Mazza that, according to certain press had spoiled the Rose and the Red Cross Ball prestige.

Now it is the turn of the nouveaux riches from Eastern Europe, and we all regret the good old days when Grace reigned.

I wouldn't be surprised if one day I might read about the good old days when Roman Abramovitch or Zepter shed lustre on Monaco's events (BTW I choose those names at random)

Red Cross Ball - August 1st, 2008

Post here news and pics about this years Red Cross Ball in Monaco.

Held under the patronage of H.S.H. Prince Albert at the Sporting d'Eté Club in the Salle des Etoiles the first weekend of August. This annual fund-raiser brings out scores of international celebrities for a good cause. Elegantly prepared meals, top entertainers and a display of ballgowns that will dazzle you.

Monaco Official Site - Major Events

[FONT=Verdana, Arial Narrow, Helvetica, Arial]August 1st, 2008 GALA EVENING[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial Narrow, Helvetica, Arial]Friday 1 August, Monte Carlo Sporting, at 8.30 pm : Monaco Red Cross Ball.

Have a look at previous Red Cross Threads:

[/FONT]
Red Cross Ball 08-05-2005

Red Cross Ball - August 4th, 2006

Red Cross Ball - July 27th, 2007

or at the retrospective threads:

Part1 Part 2

And please remember the following:
  • Only pictures you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
  • Remember to be respectful. Everyone has the right to express their views, but that needs to be done in a civil way.
Happy Posting!

Press release

Friday 1st August 2008

Sixtieth Monaco Red Cross Ball
Garden-party in the gardens at the Sporting Monte-Carlo
&
Grand 60th Anniversary concert in the Salle des Étoiles:
“Bill Wyman presents a fabulous night of music from the 60’s”

Guests at this year’s Monaco Red Cross Ball are in for a truly remarkable evening. It will be a celebration of sixtyyears of activity by the Monegasque charity founded in 1948 by His Serene Highness Prince Louis II.
Under the presidency of His Serene Highness Prince Albert II, the ball will be held on Friday 1st August 2008 in truly exotic surroundings. Instead of the usual dinner-concert, diners will enjoy a seated al fresco dinner amongst the palm trees and flowers in the Sporting Monte-Carlo gardens, followed by a fabulous pop’n’rock concert in the Salle des Étoiles.

Guests will make their way along a pathway lined with flares to tables set in the gardens, in a chic and romantic setting reminiscent of the African lodges in Karen Blixen’s novels which inspired Sydney Pollack to create his masterpiece “Out of Africa”. Sheers, hangings, dais, teak furniture and candle jars are all a reminder of the nonchalance and elegance of soirées in colonial Kenya, when the balmy evening takes over from the blazing afternoon sun, stirring feelings and whetting the appetite. All the Monte-Carlo S.B.M. savoir-faire will come into its own for this special evening in order to offer each guest the very best in fine wining and dining.

Television presenter Frédérique Courtadon and rock music journalist Philippe Manoeuvre will be in charge of the tombola on a raised stage in the garden.

The evening will continue in the Salle des Étoiles at the Sporting Monte-Carlo with a show featuring music from the 1960s presented by Bill Wyman – The Rolling Stones’ legendary bass player. In the pure tradition of great rock concerts, it will be a case of standing room only. The world famous rock star and his band – The Rhythm Kings – will be joined by a plethora of international guest stars from the world of rock and chanson: Robin Gibb (The Bee Gees), Eddie Floyd, Mary Wilson (The Supremes), Donovan, Gary Brooker, Paulo Nutini, Francis Cabrel, Louis Bertignac (Téléphone), Georgie Fame and Albert Lee.
Harley Davidson motorcycles forming a guard of honour, a series of Gibson guitars and special lighting effects will bring to life the colours of the 1960s. Thanks to state-of-the-art LED technology, gigantic images will appear on
fabrics winding between the columns of the Salle des Étoiles. Before these spectacular animations come to life, the public will see a video clip retracing the actions of the Monaco Red Cross over the last sixty years.

DJ Akram 7-4-8 will keep everyone dancing, whilst – from beyond the arches - sumptuous fireworks will rise high into the skies from the sea.

The 2008 gala will be more astonishing than ever before in order to celebrate this anniversary in style... paying tribute to the success and longevity of the Monaco Red Cross.

Prices & Times
Dinner (not including drinks) and concert
20:30 - 1000 € all taxes included
Concert only
22:30 - 500 € all taxes included

Dress code / Dinner: Black tie / Concert: Casual chic, jackets obligatory.

Garden party. It is great idea, :flowers:I guess Red Cross Ball has never been organized in gardens before. Lets hope that weather will be great too.:)

This upcoming event should be fun and exciting what a way to throw a party.

Tomorrow is the big day I hope we get plenty of beautiful Pictures

Well as the evening approaches what do you all think are the chances of Charlotte attending her first Red Cross Ball, or an appearance from Stephanie?- I'm thinking as it's the sixtieth year & as there appears to be a significant effort to feature more guest artists & include some special features we may get a good turn out from the family. Here's hoping

Back
Top Bottom