Princesses Marie Louise (1872-1956) and Helena Victoria (1870-1948)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wonder if Princess Marie Louise kept in touch with Prince Aribert of Anhalt after their marriage was dissolved in December 1900.

I wonder if Princess Marie Louise kept in touch with Prince Aribert of Anhalt after their marriage was dissolved in December 1900.

This delightful Princess, who lived to be 84, had a sad marriage to Prince Aribert. It seems that he was gay, and after their separation and her return to the bosom of her family in England, her uncle King Edward VII is said to have commented that 'poor cousin Louie has returned to us as she left.'
In her autobiography, 'My memories of six reigns' she comments 'in fact, I was not wanted, my presence was irksome to him, and we were two complete strangers living under the same roof. We occasionally met at meals and when we had guests, otherwise days might pass without us ever seeing each other.'
She further comments, 'the reason I have never married again is because my marriage was according to the Church of England with its solemn and binding vows, and no arbitrary local family law could absolve me from these marriage vows.'
How sad that Princess Marie Louise was so abused, but she did go on to make the most of her life - her husband made some very hurtful accusations against her. But her autobiography is fascinating!

Princess Marie Louise opened a new ward at King's College Hospital

On July 15, 1952 Princess Marie Louise attended the wedding of the Honourable Gerald Lascelles and Miss Angela Dowding at St. Margaret's Church, Westminster in London.

In 1899 Queen Victoria wrote to her eldest daughter Victoria, Empress Frederick about a possible marriage for Princess Helena Victoria with Prince Johannes of Hohenloe-Langenburg.
However, Prince Johannes was Catholic. Religion was one reasoin this wedding never took place.

Back
Top Bottom