Princess Margarita & Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn, News 1 (February 2003-February 2008)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that the 'Hey, looks like my mother's talking to me' tone of Beatrix is just the one things that doesn't make this tape half as shocking as some people thought it would be. Maybe it's not nice to say that the devil has gotten into someone, but well... what do we know about it? Maybe Beatrix's tone was a bit haughty, but I think that was to be expected. The queen tends to do her own way and there's not much we or Margarite can change about that. So if she finds that she has to let others investigate Edwin, she lets others invetigate Edwin. I'm really not interested what she has to say about that in private to her niece, but well: Edwin thought something else and here we are, listening to businesses which don't concern us. And since we're reading these transcriptions, I think we can safely say that the queen maybe came across as a snob or haughty, but it could have been much worse...

Having an image of the queen in my head (I mean, I've followed her for quite some years know) I have to say that she reacted just the way I expected her to react. So nothing shocking, imo.

I might be misinformed, but I believe the problem was that not the goverment but the cabinet of the Queen, headed by mister Rhodius did the investigation. Officially without the knowledge of the PM and the Queen herself. But please correct me if I am wrong, princess Olga. The rumours had it that Prince Bernhard 'ordered' him to do so. A series of debates in parlement made sure that this could never happen again and now the cabinet of the Queen is placed under the direct responsibility of the prime minister. So to say that the goverment ordered the investigation is not right.

I noticed the patronising tone of the Queen as well, but I was not as disappointed by it as others were. We do not know how many letters, conversations etc. the two had previously (as Margarita said she taped it to show her husband that she defended him in her conversationS with the queen I assume there were more). She comes across as extremely surprised and annoyed by it all, especially by the fact that Margarita decided to send this PRIVATE letter to the prime minister.
Her defence of mr Rhodius is remarkable indeed, as the guy indeed did some research later on (officially without the Queens knowledge).

Last edited:
I think what troubles some people as fee mentioned above is that not much of real substance was really said in the conversation despite the accusations thrown on both sides. And in that case, why have it at all?

We don't know what other conversations they had, maybe they were able to patch things up later. But in this conversation at least, if Beatrix just wanted to make clear that Margarita shouldn't send such letters to the prime minister, that point got lost in the point-counterpoint debate of the discussion.

So the question remains, what was Beatrix' purpose for having the conversation with Margarita? If it was just to shut Margarita down, she succeeded but only temporarily. Margarita wouldn't stay shut down forever if she was with Edwin.

If that was the only reason, I think the Queen was better off not having the conversation with Margarita.

This situation brings another question, my apologies if this has been answered before.

Was Margarita's marriage approved by the normal channels or did she do like Johan-Friso and get married without government permission?

Margarita is not a member of the Royal House (not in line of succession) as her mother, Princess Irene, married without the approval of the dutch goverment (due to her marriage to the duke of Parma). So Margarita did not have to seek aproval of the goverment like Friso.

Thanks Marengo. I'm not well-versed in the lives of the nieces and nephews of Queen Beatrix.

If Margarita was not in the line of succession to begin with, I'm surprised that even the Queen's Cabinet and Mr. Rhodius made an investigation into Edwin.

The fact that she married an unsuitable and manipulative partner was a concern for the family but it seems hardly a matter for the Cabinet unless they were concerned that Margarita would come across confidential government papers and reveal them to Edwin. But I think Queen Beatrix was too smart to let anyone outside of Willem-Alexander have access or knowledge of such things.

Marengo said:
I might be misinformed, but I believe the problem was that not the goverment but the cabinet of the Queen, headed by mister Rhodius did the investigation. Officially without the knowledge of the PM and the Queen herself. But please correct me if I am wrong, princess Olga. The rumours had it that Prince Bernhard 'ordered' him to do so. A series of debates in parlement made sure that this could never happen again and now the cabinet of the Queen is placed under the direct responsibility of the prime minister. So to say that the goverment ordered the investigation is not right.

[..]
Her defence of mr Rhodius is remarkable indeed, as the guy indeed did some research later on (officially without the Queens knowledge).

Marengo, you are absolutely right: as far as has been revealed, the government was NOT the body initiating the investigation into Edwin & his past: Mr. Rhodius was.

Which is all the more remarkable since he is, as director of the cabinet of the queen, directly working for the queen, Margaritha's aunt. Which in itself of course immediately begs the question: did Beatrix know about this or even order the research into Edwin's life?
(Of course, one could say that the government is legally responsible for anything the queen does, including for the actions of her cabinet, which was where my confusion came from)

Again, I think Edwin is a borderline idiot, he reminds me of Don Quichote really. He has stated many many things that have turned out to be blatently false.

All the same, Beatrix is in this matter not exactly squeaky clean either, I'm disappointed to find. If she did in fact have anything to do with her cabinet head Rhodius's quest to dig into the private life of Edwin, she was not only morally and ethically, but also legally completely off base.

As for her tone of voice in the tape transcripts, Maxie, you have a point that it shouldn't come as too much of a surprise. And no, the content itself is not too shocking. It's more when reading between the lines that you realize that Beatrix is not exactly clean in this sad affair.

I repeat: she or/and Rhodius had no legal right whatsoever to stick their snooty noses into Edwin's life, whether or not Edwin is a huge fool and someone who you'd rather not add into the family fold.

And the saga continues. Fake Baron Edwin made more comments about his former in-laws in dutch magazine BLVD. Funny how he accuses the RF of lacking class while he isn't exactly reacting as a gentleman.
This was posted by Joris on the Benelux Royals MB:

___
DE ROY SCOLDS AT ORANGES
(Floor van Dijck, Metro reporter, 22 June 2006)
In an interview with [glossy mag] BLVD [short for Boulevard] which can be bought at the news stand as of tomorrow [i.e. today] Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn once again speaks out very determined.
De Roy van Zuydewijn, Princess Margarita's ex, is again very much striking out at his former in-laws in an interview with glossy magazine BLVD. Whilst declaring in despair that with all his heart he still believes everything between him and Margarita will be fine again, he thoroughly burns downs the royal family. For instance he calls Margarita's mother a nymphomaniac: "Princess Irene wants to sleep with everyone. When Margarita was twelve years old and returned home from school her mother was giving Herman van Veen*) a ***wjob." He calls the Oranges common peasants. "Noble persons have hands, Beatrix has piglet trotters [biggepoten]."
Besides, the former millionaire (according to his own saying) states that the royal family was jealous of him, because he was tall, and successful. "It's all the jealousy of those common pancakes." In tears De Roy admits that he is doing very badly, that he is broke, lives with his mother and that his dog is his only possession. "She has a new house costing half a million euro, a car - I have nothing."
However, he still hopes that everything will be okay again and calls Margarita "the true one" for him. He says that he did everything for Margarita. "Even if it was in the middle of the night, I went to buy a cheeseburger for her. She liked those. I did all sorts of things: prepare dinner, clean, sweep the floor."
That she has left him he blames on his family-in-law who is supposed to have put her under pressure. According to him Margarita is like a "scared little bird." De Roy is not yet finished with his battle against the Oranges: "Never, I have yet to start! The only way to stop me is to fire off three bullets into my head."
__

*) (married) Herman van Veen, famous Dutch singer/entertainer, is indeed a good friend of Irene's (not "Irene's friend").

Well, good people, given the total idiocy, etc of this ex nephew in law, one cannot really blame anybody for taking a good look at him. After all poor Margarita is exactly the sort of person that is every royal families nightmare. so the family did not cotton to this character and snubbed him. Given how he has behaved, they were entirely right to do so!! In the shark infested waters that is the life of a member of just about any royal family the best defense is, well a good defense and offense as well. So the queen was what ever she was, given the situation it is a pity she could not have simply had his head locked up in some quiet Dutch country castle and let things cool off. The poor DRF. At least they did not have a sister of the reigning emperor run off and marry a waiter, as did the sister of Kaiser Bill. He, the waiter that is, took her for every dime or pfenning she had and the family had to take the poor fool in. I suppose this is the sort of thing that Beatrix and family have nightmares about. And the Johan Friso goes off and marries Mabel, My God.
What next? Or as my good Latin teacher used to say, the Good Lord gave us our relatives, we can chose our friends. Cheers. Thomas Parkman

A sister of King Willem II (Princess Marianne, 1st married to Prince Albrecht of Prussia) ran of with the coachman, Thomas, does that count as well ;)?

Edwin is now starting a lawsuit against the magazine BLVD Henri M posted this on the benelux royals MB:

Dr. Edwin Willem Karel de Roy van Zuydewijn, the estranged spouse of Her Royal Highness Princess Margarita María Beatriz de Bourbon de Parme, Countess de Colorno has announced a new lawsuit.

This time Edwin -in some newspapers always labelled as 'de nepbaron' ('the fake baron')- directs his anger to the glossy BLVD which has printed an interview with him.
In that interview he insulted his mother-in-law, Princess Irene of the Netherlands (sister to Queen Beatrix) for being nymphomane and he described in detail that The Queen drinks like a sailor and smokes like a chimney. Etc. Etc.
Edwin ackowledged that he had a meeting in a restaurant with an editor of BLVD. According to Edwin, the journaliste was high, told filthy things and promised him that nothing would be publicized. He told he has had a pre-view and was most surprised by the article and immediately threathened to sue BLVD if they would publicize the article. "For months I haven't heard anything and now suddenly this."
BLVD's editor-in-chief mrs. Margriet van der Linden agrees that the publication was not approved by Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn. "We have made concessions to him. A lot of his statements have been scrapped, on my request because I would not dare tp publicize some of his statements. But everything which is printed, and more which was not, has really been stated." Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn: "It are absolute lies."

Why doesnt Edwin just go away???? It sounds like he is crazy or on drugs? Why meet with the magazine in the first place?

Zonk1189 said:
Why meet with the magazine in the first place?
With his inflated view of his own self-importance, Edwin probably thought the magazine would write nice things about him. Another delusion shattered. :D

Warren said:
With his inflated view of his own self-importance, Edwin probably thought the magazine would write nice things about him. Another delusion shattered. :D

What a nut case! I wonder Margarita think about this now is no longer involved with him?

What's up with her? She has been quiet lately..I guess we will see her at the baptisms.

Zonk1189 said:
Why doesnt Edwin just go away???? It sounds like he is crazy or on drugs? Why meet with the magazine in the first place?

do delusions of grandur count as crazy? otherwise i vote drugs or the little people in his head that keep telling him to talk to the press are on them.
no doubt he's trying to get money because his parents want him to MOVE out of their house, geez what a loser

Zonk1189 said:
What a nut case! I wonder Margarita think about this now is no longer involved with him?

What's up with her? She has been quiet lately..I guess we will see her at the baptisms.

She has been keeping low-profile the last years. Sometimes we get to see paparazzi picturess of her and her new boyfriend and she is invited again to family events of course. It is good to see she is moving on with her life and that the RF seems to have accepted her back in the family, after the things she did.

bbb said:
do delusions of grandur count as crazy? otherwise i vote drugs or the little people in his head that keep telling him to talk to the press are on them.
no doubt he's trying to get money because his parents want him to MOVE out of their house, geez what a loser

Actually his father is dead and he is not living with his mother. Edwin has no registered place to stay, hence the court summons (for the divorce) of the princess have to be published publicly in a newspaper, as they can not send it to an adress. Edwin is in a very peculiar financial situation as he has no job and probably not that much money of his own. His lawyers (he has recently fired his 12th one I think) are paid by a group of republican 'friends' of Edwin, as he does not have the money to pay them himself.

He appears to have written a book which shall be published in the USA, as he and his 'friends' were afraid the dutch court would forbid him to publish stuff like the tapes with Queen Beatrix, due to privacy-laws. I wonder if the book will ever be published and I don t think it will be a huge succes. Judging tfrom the comments in on-line newspaper websites everybody (who posted there, and I read over 500 comments) regard him as a lunatic, frustrated goldigger etc etc. There was a picture of Edwin with his new dog Pablo (which he bought after losing custody over Margarita's dog Paco) and many jokes were made with people either feeling sorry for the dog or comparing Edwin to a dog.

The guy only had one television programme where he could freely ventilate his opinions, but the republican presenters of that show have stopped with the programme, so I guess he has to find new allies in the media now (a hard thing, as the guy is considered a crazy man by the vast majority of the people in The Netherlands). As a result o this the newsvalue of what he does and says has gone down terribly so his attacks onl;y get small articles/attention in the serious press these days, mostly stressing his pathatic nature.

According to newspaper 'Metro' Edwin de Roy, the fake baron, was threatened this saturday by a group of drunk men in a bar. He was there with a couple and the men also threw a beer over a woman who was in Edwins group. According to Edwin things like this happen all the time and it is difficult for him to get out on the street.

I think it is better if we do not focuss on scandals, but on positive news. The Dutch Royal Family has great members like Beatrix, Maxima, Laurentien and tje juniors like Amalia. They are kind and friendly people and they are very popular!

Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn lost the lawsuit he started against boulevard magazine 'Story'. He started the lawsuit after the magazine published a two page article about the break up between Edwin and his lawyer Mr. Pim de Vos.
Edwin also has to pay for the legal costs of this trial.

Marengo said:
Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn lost the lawsuit he started against boulevard magazine 'Story'. He started the lawsuit after the magazine published a two page article about the break up between Edwin and his lawyer Mr. Pim de Vos.
Edwin also has to pay for the legal costs of this trial.

I suppose that this will only make him angrier and react even worst, lashing at others unnecessarily. In any other individual, the battle might end here but somehow with Edwin, I think it won't and that he'll keep fighting needlessly to prove some point that only he understands.

Alexandria said:
I suppose that this will only make him angrier and react even worst, lashing at others unnecessarily. In any other individual, the battle might end here but somehow with Edwin, I think it won't and that he'll keep fighting needlessly to prove some point that only he understands.

I think you're right: Edwin may well now think he's in a situation where he's burned all bridges he's ever crossed, and now the only way forward is to continue fighting.
He strikes me as the personification really of the term "quixotic", doesn't he. Also, I think in a sense, Beatrix and her extended family is lucky to have such a clearly delusional person ranting against her.

Imagine if Edwin was someone who'd come across as rational, as "normal", as acceptable, imagine if we all thought he was a seemingly perfect son in law--in that case, people would listen to what he'd have to say, which could have been detrimental for the family's reputation. As it is, Edwin's made such a fool of himself, even if a fraction of what he contends is true, no one takes it at face value any longer, which is a win for the DRF.

In a way, though, I can't help but feel sorry for Edwin. Even if he gave up 'the fight', what could he do with his life at this point? Who would take him seriously? I think he's a particular tragic figure, who seems to be his own worst enemy.

Marengo said:
According to newspaper 'Metro' Edwin de Roy, the fake baron, was threatened this saturday by a group of drunk men in a bar. He was there with a couple and the men also threw a beer over a woman who was in Edwins group. According to Edwin things like this happen all the time and it is difficult for him to get out on the street.
I believe it: frankly, if I were Edwin, at this point, I'd move to another country: his chances of regaining anything resembling a 'normal' anonymous life in the Netherlands may well be zero. Again, I'm starting to feel sorry for him, even though he's partly brought the whole situation onto himself.

princess olga said:
I believe it: frankly, if I were Edwin, at this point, I'd move to another country: his chances of regaining anything resembling a 'normal' anonymous life in the Netherlands may well be zero. Again, I'm starting to feel sorry for him, even though he's partly brought the whole situation onto himself.

Sorry is not the emotion people think of when we see his name,it's more the lunatic image that prevails dear Olga.

princess olga said:
I think you're right: Edwin may well now think he's in a situation where he's burned all bridges he's ever crossed, and now the only way forward is to continue fighting.
He strikes me as the personification really of the term "quixotic", doesn't he. Also, I think in a sense, Beatrix and her extended family is lucky to have such a clearly delusional person ranting against her.

Imagine if Edwin was someone who'd come across as rational, as "normal", as acceptable, imagine if we all thought he was a seemingly perfect son in law--in that case, people would listen to what he'd have to say, which could have been detrimental for the family's reputation. As it is, Edwin's made such a fool of himself, even if a fraction of what he contends is true, no one takes it at face value any longer, which is a win for the DRF.

In a way, though, I can't help but feel sorry for Edwin. Even if he gave up 'the fight', what could he do with his life at this point? Who would take him seriously? I think he's a particular tragic figure, who seems to be his own worst enemy.

I agree with your post, but if he would have been the ideal son-in-law he wouldn't have gotten into problems in the first place and the RF would have accepted him for sure.

But he dug/is digging his own grave and the man seems to be a lunatic whenever he is in public. So yes, nobody takes anything serious what the guy says anymore, even if it would have been the truth (which probably it is not). Today when he is on television people start thinking, why can't that frustrated madman get a life of his own? The bewildering eyes he has don't help his image either, I find them very scary.

lucien said:
Sorry is not the emotion people think of when we see his name,it's more the lunatic image that prevails dear Olga.
we can't feel sorry for lunatics? ;)

Marengo said:
I agree with your post, but if he would have been the ideal son-in-law he wouldn't have gotten into problems in the first place and the RF would have accepted him for sure.

But he dug/is digging his own grave and the man seems to be a lunatic whenever he is in public. So yes, nobody takes anything serious what the guy says anymore, even if it would have been the truth (which probably it is not). Today when he is on television people start thinking, why can't that frustrated madman get a life of his own? The bewildering eyes he has don't help his image either, I find them very scary.
I agree totally. If he had behaved even slightly, his in-laws would have accepted him, no doubt, because seriously, why wouldn't they have?
I also agree there's something scary not only in his eyes, but in the way he talks about Margarita, he's said something like that he's convinced Margarita is still in love with him or something along these lines. This may not be a nice thing to say, but he does come across as sure stalker material and perhaps this is what Margarita's family saw in him somehow too, way back when, hence their hesitation in welcoming him into the family possibly.

Edwin de Roy is at it again. This was posted by Joris on the Benelux royals MB:

De Roy van Zuydewijn makes public new facts about prince Bernhard's past. This time letters to the Nazis are concerned.
The Greet Hofmans Affair was meant to prevent the publication of three letters which Prince Bernhard wrote to Adolf Hitler and Heinrich Himmler in 1942. This Dr. Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn writes in the Amsterdam students weekly Propria Cures which is published tomorrow [Saturday]. He also bases this on knowledge provided to him by Princess Margarita. De Roy van Zuydewijn is guest-editor of Propria Cures during the next three months. According to De Roy van Zuydewijn it was Prince Bernhard himself who invited faith healer Greet Hofmans to Soestdijk. No surprise, according to De Roy van Zuydewijn: "Fifteen years before Hofmans appeared at Soestdijk Palace the former GP of Heinrich Himmler, Felix Kersten, the miraculous healer, had been a welcome guest of Bernhard's." Two of the three letters were, according to De Roy van Zuydewijn, signed by Princess Juliana. In 1956 German Der Spiegel published an article about Hofmans. Generally it is assumed that Prince Bernhard had been the informant of this magazine. "In this manner a constititional crisis was staged in order to veil Bernhard's high treason," accordindg to De Roy.

-

His source was probably newspaper ´Metro´ where I read a simular story this morning. As I am a student of the University of Amsterdam I will try to get a copy of the magazine to see what proof he has (probably none) and what he thinks that Berhard wrote (something treasenous seems unlikely as in 1942 it became clear that the Nazi´s were losing the war (or at the very least that the outcome wouldn´t be very clear.

-

Other news from de Roy which I read today to (in Metro):

He is financed by businessman Eric de Vlieger. De Vlieger became notorious for fraud and more illigal stuff and is connected to much of the Amsterdam criminal world (he says he was blackmailed, the police thinks he was otherwise involved). Criminals that are involved with liquidations of real estate agents, kidnappings etc, not petty crimes.

-

Another post by Lucas on the Benelux royals MB today:

[FONT=verdana, arial]According to the dutch TV journal in its last broadcast of the day on Netherlands I, dutch police attempted to arrest tonight Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn, spouse of HRH princess Marguarita de Bourbon-Parma, at the house of his mother nin Amsterdam. The man was not at home and a writ was left behind for him to report coming Monday at the police headquarters in Amsterdam. What he is being charged with, is for the moment not known. [/FONT]

-

Just when you think the guy would shut up.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom