Princess Madeleine & Jonas Bergström Break Off Their Engagement: April 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While I understand, being from the US, that that is the law here, in this country, you are assuming the law is the same in Sweden or Europe. It may not be. I certainly wouldn't want to keep a reminder of such a traumatic event in my life, but I don't think you can hold US law as a standard in Europe. The laws are often quite different

I'm sorry that happened to her because I like Madeleine.:sad: However, better it be over now than to find out about it later after marrying him.:cool:

Classless/legal or not, I wonder why someone would even want to keep it.
Why hold on to something that is linked with such bad memories?!? :ermm:

One of the reasons that I asked about what happens to the engagement ring is that I was wondering if it might go to a museum at some point in the future.

Does it hold some bad memories for Madeleine? Yes. But perhaps future generations would want to see it? IDK IDK, the general consensus here seems to be to give it back.

I don´t think that Princess Madeleine will kep a ring she recivede from a man who have been cheating on her.. And why shout she ?
She´s abel to wear jewels with a mutch more class and style than a simpel ring from a man who did not love her at all..

Is that true? He never loved her? Then I seriously would just toss the ring away.

I had thought they did love each other, but I haven't been following the Royal House of Sweden very much.

I wish them both peace.

Jonas broke the betrothal by his infidelity so it is up to Maddie to give it back or not.Certainly I do not think she would wear it.Was it a diamond ; a ruby; what was it anyway ? does anybody know?

Last edited:
Jonas broke the betrothal by his infidelity so it is up to Maddie to give it back or not.Certainly I do not think she would wear it.Was it a diamond ; a ruby; what was it anyway ? does anybody know?

Diamond. :)
[DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto

Two, it's not my opinion....it's how the law works.

Keeping it makes her look vengeful, spiteful and classless, regardless of whatever it was Jonas did to her. She should come out looking better than him, not worse.

It is your opinion that she will return it.
It might be the way the law works in America, but it might be different in Sweden, and as far as I know, as a law graduate in the UK, if a gift is given to a fiancee she has the right to legally keep it.
How on earth are we going to know if she gets rid of it or not, how are we to know that she will look "vengeful, spiteful and classless" as you call it?

Jonas Bergstrom's snitch

Originally Posted by lucien
It was not "an alleged" incident.There were several "asides" by Jonas and the one making the biggest headlines with the norwegian who** telling all for money....was even before the engagement.Jonas "promissed" to never do it again.....:whistling:

He fooled the Princess and played with her feelings more then once until apparently Queen Silvia had a long serious talk with her daughter.
It seems her brother and Victoria also talked to her,that the one who didn't know anything untill it was all done and over with was HM The King.

Poor poor dearest Madde,I really feel sorry for her.There is this drop dead gorgious youngest daughter of the King,and this upstart who played tricks on her time and time again.He might as well emigrate now.

This norwegian vulgarity of a creature claming she didn't know who he was?Bull.Cashing in for 12.500 was enough to revive her memory.
They're both trash,Jonas with the pretty face and that creature from norge.
All I can say is that money talks bullsh*t walks in this case Jonas walked. The reason why they paid the alleged mistress was because she probably had some kind of evidence to back her story for example, text/sms, emails, pictures, voice-mails, so on and so forth. She provided evidence only IF THE PRICE WAS RIGHT! You know... how it usually is? :D At the end - a girl needs to eat so she thought "hmmm might as well" :cool:... That Jonas cannot blame no one but himself for this situation HE started.

These public men/women need to be careful if they are thinking about messing around behind their significant others back. Because IT IS A SET UP FROM DAY ONE especially if the person they are cheating with knows exactly who they are. They know that if the affair ends they can get money big-time from gossip mags. Just ask that Tiger Woods. The gossip mags. paid $$$ all of his snitches (informant) for information! :wacko:

Money always talks.

They were together eight years. I'm sure she knew he cheated before but thought it was behind them when they became engaged. Sadly he was a serial cheater and a male version of a tiara chaser, and while her heart is broken, she is better off with out him. What a rat he was, and he will always be known as her former fiance, the cheater no matter what else he does in life. Pity the next victim. JMO

Jonas is a lawyer, ie, he is a certified liar. In the United States, the old joke goes "How do you know a lawyer is lying? Anytime his lips are moving."

Not to defend Jonas (he was acting immature and careless. Period), but if Madeleine doesn´t broaden her horizon and does further refuse to see, that "Royalty" isn´t just fun and advantages, this will happen to her again. Mark my words.
You've got a good point here.

Back in the day...say pre-1980 this would have been swept under the rug, covered up, and the wedding which was already gaining momentum would have gone ahead...but ever since Diana, it seems royals are slightly more transparent and intolerant of such discrepencies...marrying a cheat/adulterer is no longer acceptable or desirable as it was back then, and even if she HAD married him, divorce is much more accepted too, but let's be thankful Madeleine didn't get to that stage...

So the next man that comes Madeleine's way has a hard act to follow, as in he cannot afford to slip up or put a foot wrong or he's outta there!!!

I would personally keep the ring, it's gorgeous...I would wear it as a dress ring on the opposite hand ;)

I am certainly sorry for the Princess, but at least she went ahead and called it off. I think she was courageous to do so--and he is an utter moron.

OK, just heard on a "gossip" radio program that Jonas' "bit on the side" has a few texts from Jonas. She is willing to release for more money. Is this true or just a stupid rumor? Thank you.

I would personally keep the ring, it's gorgeous...I would wear it as a dress ring on the opposite hand ;)

I think I might, too - unless he threatened to sue me for it, which I don't think very many men would bother to do...especially not a man who's made as much of a mess as Jonas has. But then, I'm not sentimental about things, so I wouldn't look at it and constantly see the broken engagement, it would just be a ring to me.

This all reminds me of the old Zsa Zsa Gabor quote: "I never hated a man enough to give him his diamonds back." :D

Do we even know if it was Madeleine who wanted to end the engagement, or was it Jonas that wanted to play the field and asked to be released, or was it a mutual agreement? We are speculating that since it was Jonas that cheated, Madeleine got rid of him. Maybe he realized that he could never just be faithful to one woman and knew that the "spotlight" would always be on him and he wanted out. There are some low class cheaters that will never be true to one person. I know this happened prior to their engagement, but they were, in all sense but the paper, married, so the trust should have still been a large part of the relationship.

I sincerely hope that it was Madeleine that gave him the boot as it will make her "recovery" period easier and more satisfying. Especially on the day of Victoria's wedding when the big event is shown on TV world wide and that munipulator realizes that he could have been a large part of history. Instead he is just a cheating coward that has no integrity.

I find it surprising that so many of you would keep an engagement ring when you're no longer dating the man who gave it to you. What would be the point? You're not engaged anymore, what reason do you have to still keep it? What if you were engaged to a man who beat the hell out of you all the time and you finally broke it off, would you keep the ring then? What if he cheated on you left, right and center and ended up giving you a venereal disease? Wouldn't looking at that ring only remind you of the vile and filthy way you were treated by someone who gave it you under the pretense of "love" and "commitment"?

Jonas cheated on her. Repeatedly, if the rumors are to be believed. Why in the name of Mother Dixie would she keep a ring given to her by a man who would treat her in such a common and vulgar fashion?

A diamond is a diamond, and she more than paid for it in 'blood' this week. I say keep it and reset it as something else.

A diamond is a diamond, and she more than paid for it in 'blood' this week. I say keep it and reset it as something else.
Really! Well, I could see if she actually needed the money, than sell the damn thing, but she doesn't. As far as having it reset, her family has bigger, better and more important diamonds already. If he didn't want it back when she handed it to him, she could just donate to one of her organizations that is always needing money. I can't see her ever wanting to wear it again.

Really! Well, I could see if she actually needed the money, than sell the damn thing, but she doesn't. As far as having it reset, her family has bigger, better and more important diamonds already. If he didn't want it back when she handed it to him, she could just donate to one of her organizations that is always needing money. I can't see her ever wanting to wear it again.

I was thinking about this as well. Donate it to a museum or charity auction or something similar. The nullified engagement ring of a Swedish Princess could be worth quite a fair sum in the future. She gets rid of the accursed thing, someone gets a nice bit of history, and everyone wins.

i am sure with all the jewellery that she already has and all what she will inherit from her mother and the family she does not give a dam about the ring, she has better diamonds, bigger and so on, I like the idea to donated to one of her charities, a least something good to come out of this sad story!

i am sure with all the jewellery that she already has and all what she will inherit from her mother and the family she does not give a dam about the ring, she has better diamonds, bigger and so on, I like the idea to donated to one of her charities, a least something good to come out of this sad story!

Which is why I brought it up a couple of pages back, in context of my friends' cancelled engagement. It's called "making lemonade out of lemons," but it requires maturity on the part of the parties. I know so little of Jonas and only a bit of Madeleine, but he sounds like a horse's ass - just the kind of horse's ass who would demand the ring back. So whether he has the maturity to agree to something like that is beyond me.

The ring itself could take on a new reputation! It could be auctioned and sold again and again....each person willing to take on the challenge of a Ring That Doomed a Relationship! Stories would be told "I gave it to my wife for our fortieth wedding anniversary, and then the Titanic just sank beneath our feet!" "I bought it for my daughter, but then she ran off with the cook's son and sold it to fund his GI Joe collection!"

But yes, that ring could do a world of good off her finger and out of her jewelry collection.

Madeleine needs to act according to her own integrity. The ring is to be returned. Jonas should not have to ask for it. That is the custom even in Sweden. An engagement ring is not a gift, it is a symbol for a planned wedding. No wedding, no ring.

News of the break up has reached the NZ online papers. Quite surprised that one of them had it as one of the main headlines.

Why would Madeliene want to keep that awful piece of metal anyway? Unless she wants a daily reminder of her lying, cheating ex fiancée, she'd chuck that ring in the Atlantic and the fishes, sharks, dolphins and whales play with it.

Well, a broken engagement may be upsetting but a broken marriage is a disaster.

I just hope that Princess Madelein will take a breack from men and juse the time in US to heal hear heart and think of the futur as a singel for a period of her life...
She has the time for her and alot of things to do with it..

Back
Top Bottom