Princess Caroline of Monaco and Phillipe Junot, 29 June 1978

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Everyone - thank you for all of the great photos - I had never seen them before!

Certain Italian press wrote that it looked more like the wedding of the *godfather's daughter* than that of the daughter of a souvereign.

If my memory does not fail me the wedding was celebrated in the Palace gardens.
Marc Bohan had to modify Caroline's wedding gown, because it had been previously photographed, and then pics were sold to magazines prior the wedding. In Italy they were published by NOVELLA 2000.

Yes, you are right. There was a drawing of the dress in WWD (Women's Wear Daily) right before the wedding and it also showed her intended hair-do which I believe would have had the rings of flowers worn on top of her head instead of on the sides. So, changes were made.

The wedding ceremony did take place at the palace. I believe that Rainier and Grace knew that the wedding was doomed and that is why the ceremony did not take place at the cathedral.

Junot was such a bad apple and certainly not a gentleman.

Yes, you are right. There was a drawing of the dress in WWD (Women's Wear Daily) right before the wedding and it also showed her intended hair-do which I believe would have had the rings of flowers worn on top of her head instead of on the sides. So, changes were made.

The wedding ceremony did take place at the palace. I believe that Rainier and Grace knew that the wedding was doomed and that is why the ceremony did not take place at the cathedral.

Junot was such a bad apple and certainly not a gentleman.
Grace said of the marriage that at least this way, Caroline could have a successful second marriage. She actually favored Caroline marrying Junot so her daughter could sooner see what a cad Junot was and have more successful relationships in the future. I guess Grace got it right.

Princess Caroline & Queen Noor's Wedding Dress

Has anyone noticed that Princess Caroline's short ice blue wedding dress that she wore in the civil marriage ceremony to Phillipe Junot (and to Maria Niarchos' wedding a year later-1979) is very similiar to Queen Noor's white wedding dress. Both were made by Marc Bohan at Christian Dior at almost the same time.. May, June 1978.

Both have the same drapped look and similar cutouts around the neck and arms.

Video of 1978 Grimaldi Wedding Ball

That video is awesome of the guests at Princess Caroline and Phillipe Junot's wedding Ball. Torwards the end, some of the women all sitting together in white ball gowns are.. Olympia de Rothschild, Jacqueline de Ribes (also seen dancing) and Helene of Yugoslavia.

The guests wearing elegant ball gowns and jewels include: Begum Salimah, and her mother in law ..Begum Yvette Aga Khan.

I wish the vidoe showed more royal guests and less of Ava Gardner dancing with Gregory Peck!

Bad apple... what an appropriated expression! P, Caroline certainly deseverd much better. What were those two thinking about when they decided to get married? Love doesn't explain nor excuse everything

Bad apple or not at the time her behavour was appaling and that is /was well documented and SHE married him it wasn't a one way thing. As I recall Princess Grace was vv much against the whole business. She [Grace ] is very gracious about the whole thing in a book I have about her flower pressings she even includes the wedding bouquet in it. But Caroline chose him. And there it is.

I agree with Tunny , I was happy to see the two Begums , Jacqueline de Ribes (she is still handsome now) , but i think it was not Hélène de Yugoslavie , she was a child then was it Maria Pia ?
It was also interesting to see all the non reigning Kings and Princes : King Humberto of Italy, King Michael of Roumanie, the Count de Barcelone , the Count de Paris(alone ?)they were at the first row ..a great day for them !

I saw the video again , the lady in blue is Marie Gabrielle de Savoie. I also saw the actress Fanny Ardant , her mother was Princes's Gace lady in waiting, but .she is still now at Monaco's court.

I didn't know that about Fanny Ardant, who is her mother? Virginia Gallico?

I also thought the same Tunney about Princess Caroline's and Queen Noor's wedding dresses, they looked very similar.

The Cartier tiara...I'm confused about this tiara now, I recall reading that the tiara was sold in the early 80s, guess Princess Grace didn't want memories from Caroline's wedding with Junot. Then in 2000 when Madonna married, I remember reading that she was getting married or sth with the same tiara. Princess Caroline has never worn it. And then in the exhibition they had the tiara among other jewels. Anyone knows what really happened with it?

I think the reason why Caroline & Phillippe aren't shown in the video is because they wanted to focus only on Princess Grace, it was a special for her 25th Anniversary and it went along with the exhibition. In the video you can also see Grace Levine (speaking with Rainier and wearing a dress Caroline wore in 1975), the Rumanian royals, Cary Grant, Marc Bohan, Diane Von Furstenberg, Frank Sinatra, Barbara Marx, Veronica Peck, and Jackie Stewart. I wish there had been more images of Princess Grace and Princess Caroline too.

Looking at these pics has made me wonder, where were Lizanne, Peggy, Ma Kelly, and Kell? I only see Grace Levine. Regarding Albert where is he too? I've only seen him in the Pre-Wedding Ball. I assume he was at all the events, but no pictures that I remember..

The reason Princess Caroline didn't get married in the Cathedral was because it wasn't a State wedding, this kind of wedding was/is reserved for Prince Albert.

At the pre-wedding ball, the "younger" attendees were off partying by themselves. Caroline's cousin - Christain de Massey - wrote a book and in it I think that he stated this.
Caroline was not an innocent young woman. When she moved to Paris as a teen-ager, she began running around with a much older, louche crowd. She would leave Grace at the apartment and she would be dressed very prim and proper for a night on the town. Out of Grace's sight, Caroline would take scissors and modify the cut of the neckline to appear more sexy. Of course, the papparazzi were snapping as many photos as they could get.
I think that the final straw were the photos of a topless Caroline on a yacht sunbathing with Junot. The engagement was duly announced.
Within a year of the marriage, Philippe was photgraphed dancing with a sultry blond in a nightclub in Montreal.
Maybe, later on, Grace realized that if she had just let Caroline live with Junot - unmarried - the affair would soon fizzle and be over, but Grace was a staunch Catholic and this would never do.

Caroline was not an innocent young woman. When she moved to Paris as a teen-ager, she began running around with a much older, louche crowd. She would leave Grace at the apartment and she would be dressed very prim and proper for a night on the town. Out of Grace's sight, Caroline would take scissors and modify the cut of the neckline to appear more sexy. Of course, the papparazzi were snapping as many photos as they could get.
I think that the final straw were the photos of a topless Caroline on a yacht sunbathing with Junot. The engagement was duly announced.
Within a year of the marriage, Philippe was photgraphed dancing with a sultry blond in a nightclub in Montreal.
Maybe, later on, Grace realized that if she had just let Caroline live with Junot - unmarried - the affair would soon fizzle and be over, but Grace was a staunch Catholic and this would never do.
Grace was not as staunch about religion and was quite sympathetic when it come to others, especially the younger generation. Divorce would have never been something she'd consider (she and Rainier were known to go through some rough patches in the 60s and 70s), but was supportive of it for Caroline and Junot. There was an incident when a teenage niece had run-off with her boyfriend. The Kelly relatives were livid and Grace was the one who offered a sympathetic ear. Grace was deeply religious but she set a different, higher standard for herself than others, especially the younger generation.

She also found it hard to justify telling Caroline to stop taking up with older men when she had done the same thing during her Hollywood years (Oleg Cassini, Clark Gable, Ray Milland, etc.). I think that the marriage was announced to soften the scandal surrounding Caroline, but Grace supported Caroline's marriage and divorce because she was mother who cared about her daughter's happiness.

Wonderful pics Queenofthelight!!! I had never seen these ones before, and they solve the question...Prince Albert was there! As well as Lizanne and Kell. Nice that they invited Princess Ghislaine too. I wonder if anyone has more pics from the Pre-Wedding Ball and the guests, and from other wedding festivities (the Lynn Wyatt party in Maxim's, the Civil wedding Dinner, the rehearsal at the Palace etc). Stephanie didn't attend the Pre-Wedding Ball because it's said she wanted to wear jeans and Grace didn't allow it.

Great pics Steven! The dinner one is from 1979's Rose Ball though, great finding!

Wow, Thank you for these wonderful pictures of Caroline and Philippe, Steven.:flowers:

I like specially the photo of Caroline dancing with Junot

What a waste... she sure deserved better!!! :nonono: :nonono:

Last edited by a moderator:
This photo was taken at the palace´s gardens.They are really beautiful

Back
Top Bottom