Prince Charles's Interest in Architecture and Urban Planning

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pollyemma

Heir Presumptive
City
Washington,DC
Country
United States
from The Washington Post

Prince Charles to Accept Scully Prize at Building Museum

Wednesday, October 26, 2005; Page C10
Prince Charles will accept the prestigious Vincent Scully Prize at the National Building Museum while making an official visit to Washington with his wife, Camilla, next week.
In announcing the award yesterday, the museum sought to recognize the prince's long-standing interest in architecture and urban planning.

Prince Charles will be honored for his efforts toward historical preservation and urban planning. (Matt Dunham - AP)

THE Prince of Wales has found a fresh target for his withering hatred of modern architecture. He branded a university building where he was addressing a gathering of paratroopers today a “dustbin”.
The oval-shaped Ivor Crewe building at Essex university in Colchester was described by an architectural critic recently as a building which “surprises and shines with its unusual design and the material mix of stainless steel and glass.

Prince Charles says modern architecture is rubbish - Times Online

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

With the North American term it sounds even worse--the paratroopers would be meeting in a "garbage can." :lol:
Apparently, they were all in fits of laughter over his very apt description! :ROFLMAO:

The comparison really is an insult to dustbins everywhere! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

It really is. What on earth were they thinking?

Mind you, some modern architecture is beautiful, and I wish Charles wouldn't paint with such a broad brush when he criticises it. There are cities that have been greatly enhanced by IM Pei's buildings, for example. Between the Dulles Airport building and the extension to the art gallery, I'd say Washington DC has been improved by modern architecture.

As a vociferous cheerleader for the environment and certain types of classical architecture, Prince Charles has never been afraid of a challenge.

Charles takes on China to save Ming dynasty houses from Beijing's concrete carbuncles | Environment | The Guardian

They are names that evoke sun- drenched orchards lost in the mists of time... Bloody Ploughman, Forty Shillings and Duck's Bill.
But apples such as these, long absent from our fruit bowls, could be making a comeback - thanks to Prince Charles.

Royal to the core: Charles aims to rescue long-lost apple varieties| News | This is London

I guess that's what I like about Prince Charles: he's never been afraid of challange and always went for what he thought was right.
Thank you for posting the articles, Skydragon! :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's great to see him interested in perserving not only British architecture, but in other nations as well. Just in time for the Olympics too! :flowers:

His willingness to take a stand and say what he thinks about these matters is one of the things that has always endeared me to Prince Charles. His opinions might not always be right, but he has them and is prepared to state them and, perhaps more importantly, do something about it.

I'm particularly keen on his position regarding the apples. I had a collection of about 30 heritage apple varieties in Sydney, but couldn't bring them when we moved north because the winters aren't cold enough. To my great pleasure I found two low-chill "tropical" apple trees in the garden here. There are apple varieties which can be traced back to Roman times. They all have a story and are part of British history, and I applaud Charles' decision to preserve them to ensure they remain in cultivation.

:previous:
Two quotes from the article. Members with longer memories will recall the criticism Poundbury received from modern architects at the time of its development.

The Poundbury community in Dorset was chosen as a model for the new development in Croes Atti on former farmland near Oakenholt.

"Prince Charles's original concept was laughed at at first but has proved very popular, most importantly with the people who live there."

Who's had the last laugh? :D

:previous: You get something that is worth admiring!:flowers:

Not sure why the resident quoted in the article criticizing the design. After all, the rest of the buildings in Poundbury are similarly styled. And one would assume anyone choosing to live there preferred the architectures, not just the off chance to see the royal landlord.

Contrary to the Londonist's comment that the extension to the National Gallery was never built, it was, but simply to a different design to the one criticised as a 'carbuncle'. As the latter 'carbuncle' design included a large section of curved walling it's just as well. As I work in an art gallery myself I think I'd go mad if I was expected to hang flat 2-d rectangular paintings on a curved wall!!!
The critic who is mentioned as complaining about the fire-station is editor of a modernist magazine called Icon that publishes articles in favour of intensive horticulture - so not surprisingly his view of anything that involves Prince Charles is critical!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Prince of Wales’s obsession with architecture has been blamed for a special needs children’s charity losing a ?2million donation.
His Duchy of Cornwall estate held up plans for a new care centre because it did not want a ‘budget’ design on its land

Prince Charles’s obsession with architecture cost us a £2m donation, says children’s charity | Mail Online

Prince Charles is fighting to stop a controversial modern development in London designed by the architect he famously clashed with 25 years ago.
Lord Rogers has come up with a scheme for 320 luxury apartments on the site of Chelsea Barracks in London. But the Prince says the plan is unsuitable and unsympathetic to the historic surroundings.

The monstrous carbuncle (Part Two) - Prince Charles condemns architect’s Chelsea Barracks plan | Mail Online

:previous: The plans in the Mail picture would look awful, IMO, Chelsea Barracks is beautiful, old buildings, lovely gardens. To stick something like this up would be an outrage!

The plans in the Mail picture would look awful, IMO,
It's obvious when an architect or developer is trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes when the design presented to the public shows the tops of the proposed buildings exactly the same colour and texture as the ground-level lawns. As if. In the rendering they have done exactly that.

PRINCE CHARLES has intervened in the £1billion Chelsea Barracks scheme sparking fears that it could spiral into a political and diplomatic row.
He wants the Emir of Qatar to scrap a modernist glass-and-steel development designed by Lord Rogers and has drafted a more traditional plan for the site - prompting accusations that he was bypassing the planning process

Prince Charles risks diplomatic row over Chelsea Barracks | News

The PoW has as much right to suggest an alternative design as anyone else. I don't see any connection between a proposed Qatari-financed block of flats in London and a near-complete Qatari-financed liquefied natural gas terminal in Wales. The story makes no attempt to explain why any of this "risks [a] diplomatic row" as the headline claims.

The architect's response is, as usual, to attack rather than to defend. Lord Rogers needs to come up with something better than "...like forcing everyone to wear togas" and "we should not be in an era of the divine right of kings or princes." All because Charles has the temerity to say the development should be in keeping with its surroundings. Shocking!
Architects sure are a touchy lot. Charles could easily retort "we should not be in an era of the divine right of architects."

Charles could easily retort "we should not be in an era of the divine right of architects."

Well said, Warren. Even without the expertise, ordinary people nowdays are more interested in new designed with a sense of harmony in the environment. Prince Charles is very right in the point.

Mayor's top adviser backs Charles in row over barracks scheme | News
ONE of Boris Johnson's most senior aides today backed Prince Charles in the planning furore over Chelsea Barracks. In a strongly-worded attack, Kit Malthouse, the deputy mayor for policing, says the designs are out of place. Although Mr Malthouse does not have direct responsibility for planning decisions he is one of the Mayor's closest allies and will have influence when the proposals come before Mr Johnson this year.
(courtesy of Alexandra123, TheRoyalForum)

As a foeigner who visits Britain regularly I am going to put in my two cents worth:

I won't go and look at glass and steel constructions - they are ugly and have no appeal but...

buildings made of stone and in the classical form from say the Regency/Victorian periods are ones that I simply love to look at.

Late 20th century buildings in London tend to be hideous in my opinion.

I hope Charles knows that he has the support of many people with his views on things like architecture.

Back
Top Bottom