Prince Carl Philip of Sweden and Sofia Hellqvist: June 13, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is that comment about Princess Grace (r.i.p) ?
Her very colorful private life prior to her marriage would make many of today's young actresses seem very tame. And none of it was a secret during those years. Some of her affairs with married men caused quite a scandal.

Her image of the perfect angel is fiction. Her real life is much more interesting.

Not sure it's obsession, so much as "Oh NO!! Not AGAIN!?!" I've lost count now how many times Queen Sonja's worn that thing at Weddings, State Dinners, Major Important Events for Fellow Royals outside of Norway....etc over the years.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
. It is not as though the public won't notice her recycling it, not that recycling is an issue, it is just a ' please not again ' moment.

Mary looked stunning in baby blue! We really need a back view at that dress. Not to see Frederik has cycled 300 kilometers during the night :)

Maxima too.

But Margrethe, you don't wear red to a wedding :)
Forgive my ignorance, this is the first time I have heard this, why does one not wear red to a wedding?

Swedish very respected etiquette expert Magdalena Ribbing was asked at an interview before the wedding, can a female guest wear red at the wedding. Ribbing answered that of course a guest can wear red dress. It doesn't mean anything at all, although there are some myths around that.
And as we have seen, many women have worn red at various royal weddings.

Thank you for your reply. I have no idea what the myths about wearing red to a wedding are, as until reading it on here, I had never heard of this. Thank you for the response.

Forgive my ignorance, this is the first time I have heard this, why does one not wear red to a wedding?

One of the most repeated and most ridiculous myths is that if you wear red to a wedding you slept with the groom.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
I am not sure where to ask this question so please tell me if I am in the wrong place. It has been almost two months since the lovely wedding and I haven't seen any discussion about Princess Sofia's love song to Prince CP. Did the Princess write the lyrics or did Molly write the song?

One of the most repeated and most ridiculous myths is that if you wear white to a wedding you slept with the groom.

Seriously? Wow, I am getting an education. I was always told one does not wear white to a wedding so as not to outshine or be seen in any way as attempting to take away from the bride.

Seriously? Wow, I am getting an education. I was always told one does not wear white to a wedding so as not to outshine or be seen in any way as attempting to take away from the bride.

Sorry I meant red!!! If you wear red to a wedding you slept with the groom.

Seriously? I have never heard that before. Now I know.

You will be amazed at the things you learn around here. I know far more about Denmark and Danish Customs thanks to our wonderful Members of that beautiful Country now, than I ever learned before joining TRF. :)

Sorry I meant red!!! If you wear red to a wedding you slept with the groom.

Speaking of learning new things...Really!?! Wow...First I've ever heard of this one. Any idea how that Myth got started?

You will be amazed at the things you learn around here. I know far more about Denmark and Danish Customs thanks to our wonderful Members of that beautiful Country now, than I ever learned before joining TRF. :)

Speaking of learning new things...Really!?! Wow...First I've ever heard of this one. Any idea how that Myth got started?

I am sure it was proper for the Danish queen to wear red as Prince CP probably slept in her arms a few times (as a baby)with her being his godmother and all. LOL. I had heard about white but not red!!!!!

I am sure it was proper for the Danish queen to wear red as Prince CP probably slept in her arms a few times (as a baby)with her being his godmother and all. LOL. I had heard about white but not red!!!!!

Someone also mentioned once that black was out at British weddings (I think Kate wore black and someone complained about it).

Common sense tells you to not wear his favorite dress to the wedding of an old beau, whatever the color. :ROFLMAO:

Someone also mentioned once that black was out at British weddings (I think Kate wore black and someone complained about it).

Common sense tells you to not wear his favorite dress to the wedding of an old beau, whatever the color. :ROFLMAO:
. No black to a wedding is not the done thing as its considered the colour of mourning.

. No black to a wedding is not the done thing as its considered the colour of mourning.

In Sweden theres a saying that a wedding breaks the mourning meaning that if you werent in deep mourning (required to wear black for a year) you could attend a wedding. Someone in deep mourning did not attend a wedding at all. This means that to have someone wear black at a wedding indicated them behaving very disrespectful to their family, basically dancing before their spouse's/child's/parent's/sibling's corpse was cold and put shame on the bridal couple. Think Scarlett O'Hara...

(I do hope I managed to add the picture according to the forum rules this time)

http://150597036.r.cdn77.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/gonedance.jpg

Last edited:
In Sweden theres a saying that a wedding breaks the mourning meaning that if you werent in deep mourning (required to wear black for a year) you could attend a wedding. Someone in deep mourning did not attend a wedding at all. This means that to have someone wear black at a wedding indicated them behaving very disrespectful to their family, basically dancing before their spouse's/child's/parent's/sibling's corpse was cold and put shame on the bridal couple. Think Scarlett O'Hara...

(I do hope I managed to add the picture according to the forum rules this time)

http://150597036.r.cdn77.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/gonedance.jpg

In Ireland it is the same, one does not attend weddings whilst in mourning although this has relaxed considerably in recent years.

that tradition is dying too. i got told that as long as the black outfit doesn't look sad or dull (ie. if you cheer it up with some coloured accessories for example), it's not a problem and you can wear black if you want to. may be a good idea to consult the bride and groom before doing so in any case, but it's no longer as strict as it used to...

that tradition is dying too. i got told that as long as the black outfit doesn't look sad or dull (ie. if you cheer it up with some coloured accessories for example), it's not a problem and you can wear black if you want to. may be a good idea to consult the bride and groom before doing so in any case, but it's no longer as strict as it used to...

I'd say the tradition is all but dead in modern Sweden - my grandmother attended my brothers wedding just one month after my grandfathers death a few years ago (but left right after the cutting of the cake) and Madeleine's wedding was just a few months after the death of Lilian.

The myth is ridiculous here in the States the bridesmaids wear red and the guests. Black is also worn for weddings no problem. The only color not worn unless asked by the couple is white.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Prince Carl Philip & Sofia’s Wedding: The Bride, Groom, and Bridesmaids

Sofia's wedding gown was not terrible but I was not impressed with it. I also was not impressed with her tiara and hairstyle. The lace and veil were beautiful however. Nevertheless, this dress was nice but I did not find it memorable.

Given how things have played out I think she hit just the right note. :flowers: Nice but not impressive or memorable looks to be exactly the profile she would want. She really looked fine. Very well groomed. She was not splashy or out-of-the-box and I think that was perhaps purposeful. She was elegant and circumspect. Perfect.

Didn't really like her dress or her wedding look, but I like the way she looked overall. I like the love I see between the two of them. I feel the Swedish wedding gowns are 1 hit 3 misses and the only memorable good one was Princess Victoria's.

My best friend's oldest sister is getting married this Saturday, and she and their middle sister are bridesmaids. Carl Philip and Sofia's wedding reminded me of that, because Sofia is also one of three girls. This is the first wedding in my friend Amber's family for this generation. Crystal (the oldest) is the bride, and Danielle (the middle daughter) and Amber (the youngest) are two of the bridesmaids. I can't wait to see the pics on Amber's Facebook on Sunday! As for me, I have two younger brothers, and only my firstborn brother, our middle child; is in a relationship. She's a month younger than him, and they've been going out for 5 1/2 years now! (they're both 23)

Sent from my iPod touch using The Royals Community

Last edited:
Such sweet love.

Never before seen pictures of Prince Carl Philip and Sofia’s wedding day.

"Sometimes every person comes to a decisive choice,a choice that determines one's future and is about who one is and above all who one wants to be. And often it takes courage. Courage not to choose the easy path just because it is easy, courage to stay on the hard road because it's right. "
▫️
▫️
Today we celebrate a five-year wedding anniversary"

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBXb44ln2QT/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom