Prince Andrew, Duke of York Current Events 6: July 2011-February 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: It seems to me that by Diarist's use of the term "if it was felt", she's speaking hypothetically. No, Andrew hasn't been charged with anything, but "if he was charged..."

I have to say that "if it was felt" is a pretty weak shield for discussing Andrew as a child rapist (which is what "sex" with underage girls is).

This speculative discussion is going too far and is completely uncalled for.

So Andrew cannot claim diplomatic immunity in the UK because he is not an accredited UK diplomat? Interesting ...

Or could it be that diplomatic immunity is meaningless in one's home country? :bang:

Like I said earlierk so far as Andrew is concerned the question of Diplomatic Immunity would never arise. The position so far as the UK is concerned is quite simple - British Royals are not accredited diplomats [unless the particular Royal decides formally to train for the Diplomatic Service with a view to a professional career as a diplomat rather than a 'working' royal, as in the same way that the Duke of Gloucester, when Prince Richard decided to train as an architect......

As I undertand the British Diplomatic Service, British Diplomats cannot claim diplomatic immunity in Britain, because they are NOT accredited to the Court of St James, [ as for example the US Ambassador to the UK is] but are classed as British Civil Servants and therefore subject to the laws of the land in exactly the same way as any ordinary British Citizen....

A British Diplomat working abroad in our Embassies and High Commisions is [generally speaking]
able to claim diplomatic immunity abroad.

Hope this helps

Alex

Forgive me. There is quite a bit of made up reasoning in your entry, so I am tempted to dismiss all of it as nonsense, but I might be wrong to do that.

I thought I had an understanding of the charges against Epstein and the improprieties alleged with respect to Prince Andrew. Epstein paid underage (as young as 14) girls for sex. That is not disputed. Am I wrong in thinking that Andrew has never been accused of any such thing? An underage girl (US age of consent, not UK) was supposedly flown to England by Epstein to "entertain" Andrew, but they never had sex.

If Andrew is not even accused of committing a crime, then why would you dismiss the decision to not "go after" Andrew as "quasi-political", unless by "quasi-political" you mean rooted in facts, law and logic?

Please, help me with this, I might be missing a part of the story.

There is no 'made up reasoning' in what I have said and it is certainly not nonsense. I have not considered the possibility of what Andrew might or might not have done. I have confined my responses to the general question of Prince Andrew's status as we are discussing his current affairs in the light of the decision that has apparently been taken for him to end his role as special trade representative: Andrew is a member of the Royal Family, not an accredited Diplomat and his role as a Special Trade Representative is NOT a Diplomatic post, but a role he is carrying out in his role as a member of the BRF. I have not considered in any great deal what Andrew is alleged to have done / not done in the Epstein case. All I am pointing out is that in Britain, our Sovereign has Sovereign immunity but apart from that British Royals do NOT have immunity from prosecution and can be prosecuted, and has been the case with Princess Anne. Thus Andrew is not immune from suit in this country and could theoretically like any other British Citizen find himself the subject of extradition proceedings without being able to claim Diplomatic Immunity.....

This seems simple enough to me; the US may be a common law system to but the two legal systems are apparently poles apart if this is a hard concept for you to grasp.

Alex

I have to say that "if it was felt" is a pretty weak shield for discussing Andrew as a child rapist (which is what "sex" with underage girls is).

This speculative discussion is going too far and is completely uncalled for.

I have not mentioned child rapists etc. I am just trying to explain the legal status of Andrew as a member of the BRF as we are discussing his current affairs here and I am certainly not the one speculating on what Andrew may or may not have done. All I am saying is that Andrew is NOT a diplomat and whatever he might or might have done vis a vis Epstein or anyone else he could not ever claim Diplomatic Immunity as he is not a diplomat. Simple. Or so I thought...........

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: It seems to me that by Diarist's use of the term "if it was felt", she's speaking hypothetically. No, Andrew hasn't been charged with anything, but "if he was charged..."

Quite right Mermaid. I don't know why Fascinator thinks I am discussing Andrew as having been charged with anything; Seems simple enough to me.............:)

Alex

Thanks rmay. So it seems that the speculation in various sections of the tabloid press is in fact correct. The story was apparently broken here by Richard Kay, and tabloid journalist or not, he is generally regarded as a journalist with good royal contents, particularly with regard to Andrew's current affairs....

Actually, I don't think CNN's wording does much to help people understand Andrew's role as in reality he did not work for any organisation as a fomr of employee but was actually carrying out his role as a member of the BRF.

British Diplomats cannot claim diplomatic immunity in Britain[-], because they are NOT accredited to the Court of St James[/-]

:ermm: Please understand the difference between a bureaucratic procedure and a principal. The former reflects rather than gives rise to the latter. The quoted sentence is like saying that the issuance of a birth certificate causes a baby to be born. The point is far more fundamental than whether an individual has been accredited by the Court of Saint James.

Diplomatic Immunity, in spirit, custom, fact and codified law, is a protective shield for a diplomat granted by a foreign host government. Further, the question is not simply where the diplomat is located at present (ie "in Britain") it is whether jurisdiction is being claimed by a foreign government.

--British Diplomats can claim diplomatic immunity in Britain, as long as, for example, it is with respect to a potential prosecution by a foreign government requesting extradition

--British Diplomats cannot claim diplomatic immunity in Britain in response to a British prosecution because England is their home country and diplomatic immunity DOES NOT EXIST in this context

--British Diplomats can claim diplomatic immunity from prosecution by a foreign country while in a foreign country

--British Diplomats cannot claim diplomatic immunity from prosecution under British law by a British authority while in a foreign country, but they can attempt to defect to the foreign country to escape the reach of their home jurisdiction

Hope this helps :p

Having read a number of articles it seems to me that Andrew is giving up the title but that the role will still continue, although there will be more done at home. He will continue to travel to promote British trade and interests but will also be promoting British interests at home - so it seems only the title will be going (and there is no one going to replace him either).

I was, in truth, surprised by the level of baseless insinuation and thought it would be wise to remember what the underlying crimes were. I have read quite a bit about what Epstein did to these very young women. I suppose that I have a different comfort level in discussing Epstein and Andrew interchangeably, then asserting that the only reason Andrew would not also be arrested would be "quasi political".

So far as the UK is concerned, Andrew even in his role as the UK Special Representative for trade has NEVER been able to claim diplomatic immunity, for the simple reason that he is NOT an accredited UK Diplomat.

Actually, Prince Andrew has diplomatic immunity, just like any other members of the Royal Family.

Actually, Prince Andrew has diplomatic immunity, just like any other members of the Royal Family.

incorrect

and sovereign immunity, which the queen has, is not diplomatic immunity. entirely different. :)

Having read a number of articles it seems to me that Andrew is giving up the title but that the role will still continue, although there will be more done at home. He will continue to travel to promote British trade and interests but will also be promoting British interests at home - so it seems only the title will be going (and there is no one going to replace him either).

This brings into mind one very interesting consequence of Charles' reported desire for a streamlined monarchy: Even at the present time [with a near-capacity number of working Royals] there is no one to replace Prince Andrew in his 'full' role as trade 'envoy'.

Alex

Well it seems the Duke Of York is finished with his role as Trade Rep for the UK!:sad:
I wonder if this will be seen as a good thing in Britain???:ermm:

The Duke of York in recent months has been on the receiving end of a lot of criticism in the UK for possible conflicts of Interest, and so on balance I think that the apparent decision to scale down his role WILL be welcomed. Time will tell.

I have said before that it would do HRH well--and go a long way to help his current situation-- to go back to his roots: His military service and support the troops.

Like, I am sure the greater majority of people on this forum, I thoroughly enjoy all the messages from Diarist. They are interesting, informative and well laid out.

To continue with the Duke of York's current events, does anyone know whether Andrew and the girls are planning to spend time with the BRF at Balmoral this summer?

Their trip to Canada will probably be a good break for all of them, especially Andrew. There is something about being out in nature.

Like, I am sure the greater majority of people on this forum, I thoroughly enjoy all the messages from Diarist. They are interesting, informative and well laid out.

To continue with the Duke of York's current events, does anyone know whether Andrew and the girls are planning to spend time with the BRF at Balmoral this summer?

Their trip to Canada will probably be a good break for all of them, especially Andrew. There is something about being out in nature.

We will rely on you for Andrew-spotting! ;)

Thank You kakieanne. Mystified about why I seem to be caught up with the implication that someone is a child rapist, but there you are.

I am not sure about the dates that The Duke and The Princesses are due to go to Balmoral: generally speaking, there is usually a good 'Royal Presence' at the Braemar Gathering [often referred to, a little inaccurately, in the press as the Braemar Highland Games] which this year takes place on 3 September.

Obviously there will be a full family gathering for the wedding of Zara and Mike, so that moves us on to August. There seems to be a trend for the younger royals to spend August abroad. Various 'combinations of Yorks' have over the years turned up somewhere on the Med [Spain, South of France] during August. I am not sure whether Canada is intended as a 'substitute' for or an 'add on' to the 'usual' August Med. Vacation. The only 'fixed' event that I can think will require their presence in London is Friday 9 September 2011, Graduation day when Beatrice is due to collect her BA degree.

Eugenie will have to return to University [usually late September].

In the light of the above, your guess is as good as mine: I would speculate Canada in mid August and then Balmoral after that for a few days and then back to London for the Graduation Ceremony. Usually, Graduands get two or sometimes three tickets to the Ceremony. I would speculate that this will involve the Duke and Sarah; Eugenie will probably get some sort of dispensation to attend if Beatrice is only entitled theoretically to two tickets. I am not sure whether the Queen will attend - she did of course see her grandson William graduate from St Andrews and as she is fond of the two York daughters she might wish to be there for Beatrice. Unless the presence of Sarah is deemed too controversial.

Hope this helps in sorting out Prince Andrew's likely whereabouts for the summer.

Alex

Last edited:
There seems to be a trend for the younger royals to spend August abroad. Various 'combinations of Yorks' have over the years turned up somewhere on the Med [Spain, South of France] during August. I am not sure whether Canada is intended as a 'subsitute' or an 'add on' to the 'usual' August Med. Vacation. The only 'fixed' event that I can think will require their prescence in London is Friday 9 September 2011, Graduation day when Beatrice is due to collect her BA degree.

In the light of the above, your guess is as good as mine: I would speculate Canada in Mid August and then Balmoral after that for a few days and then back to London for the Graduation Ceremony. Usually, Graduands get two or sometimes three tickets to the Ceremony. I would speculate that this will involve the Duke and Sarah; Eugenie will probably get some sort of dispensation to attend if Beatrice is only entitled theoretically to two tickets.

Alex

Thanks for the information about Beatrice's graduation. I think I and a few other people were curious about when she would graduate.

Andrew, Beatrice and Eugenie are reported to be in Canada right now. That would fit with an earlier article that said they were expected to be in Yellowknife "later in July." Northern Canada being what it is at this time of year - lots of mosquitoes and black flies! - I don't imagine they'll spend more than a week or so on this canoeing trip. Unless Andrew and his daughters plan to go on a vacation elsewhere in Canada after their canoe trip, I would think they'll be back in England in time for Balmoral.

Duke of York drops trade role after years of criticism - Telegraph

Thank you for that rmay.

Will they not be going to Zara's wedding, which is very soon? Or do you think Andrew & the girls will return to Canada afterwards to continue with their vacation?

Alex

Thanks for the information about Beatrice's graduation. I think I and a few other people were curious about when she would graduate.

Andrew, Beatrice and Eugenie are reported to be in Canada right now. That would fit with an earlier article that said they were expected to be in Yellowknife "later in July." Northern Canada being what it is at this time of year - lots of mosquitoes and black flies! - I don't imagine they'll spend more than a week or so on this canoeing trip. Unless Andrew and his daughters plan to go on a vacation elsewhere in Canada after their canoe trip, I would think they'll be back in England in time for Balmoral.

Duke of York drops trade role after years of criticism - Telegraph

Thanks rmay. According to the BBC they are due back next week in time for Zara's wedding. Looking forward to August Kate Nicholl (Daily Mail) had a piece maybe a month ago that the family would be going to Sotograde (Spain) in early August in or around Beatrice's birthday.
She then added that Andrew and the girls would spend time in Balmoral towards the end of August. If the DM just wanted to fill space they could be taking a guess because that's more or less what they have done in recent years.
Hope Canada is enjoyable for them but a trip similar to what he shared with Sarah in 1987 on what would have been his 25th Wedding anniversary. Bittersweet for Andrew I would have thought.

I think it's sweet that Andrew wanted to take Beatrice and Eugenie canoeing with him. Apparently, the 1987 trip to Yellowknife with Sarah was inspired by an earlier canoeing trip Andrew had made with his classmates from Lakefield College. I've also heard that he still keeps in touch with those classmates. So for me, as a Canadian, it's nice to know that Andrew's connection to Canada is real - a bond that goes beyond official visits.

Thank You kakieanne. Mistified about why I seem to be caught up with the implication that someone is a child rapist, but there you are.

I am not sure about the dates that The Duke and The Princesses are due to go to Balmoral: generally speaking, there is usually a good 'Royal Presence' at the Braemar Gathering [often referred to, a little inaccurately, in the press as the Braemar Highland Games] which this year takes place on 3 September.

Obviously there will be a full family gathering for the wedding of Zara and Mike, so that moves us on to August. There seems to be a trend for the younger royals to spend August abroad. Various 'combinations of Yorks' have over the years turned up somewhere on the Med [Spain, South of France] during August. I am not sure whether Canada is intended as a 'substitute' for or an 'add on' to the 'usual' August Med. Vacation. The only 'fixed' event that I can think will require their presence in London is Friday 9 September 2011, Graduation day when Beatrice is due to collect her BA degree.

In the light of the above, your guess is as good as mine: I would speculate Canada in mid August and then Balmoral after that for a few days and then back to London for the Graduation Ceremony. Usually, Graduands get two or sometimes three tickets to the Ceremony. I would speculate that this will involve the Duke and Sarah; Eugenie will probably get some sort of dispensation to attend if Beatrice is only entitled theoretically to two tickets. I am not sure whether the Queen will attend - she did of course see her grandson William graduate from St Andrews and as she is fond of the two York daughters she might wish to be there for Beatrice. Unless the presence of Sarah is deemed too controversial.

Hope this helps in sorting out Prince Andrew's likely whereabouts for the summer.

Alex

I just hope the man gets a chance to get some rest & spend some time with just his daugther's and not feel the need to worry about what he is going to do in life from here. I am sure those discussions have been have been had & he will eventually assume his new role whatever that that is. That job as trade rep had a heavy travel schedule and to do it for 10 years would wear anyone out. Maybe now now he can get his house in order & still do his duty but have a life of his own also.

Last edited:
I suspect that he might have planned this trip to get out of the way and able to relax after the news of his stepping down. If he were out-and-about somewhere now, I think that he would be hounded. On a remote camping trip, a person can really disappear.

Also, it's a wonderful way for him to spend time with his daughters before Beatrice graduates and is officially in the adult, post-graduate world.

I just hope the man gets a chance to get some rest & spend some thime with just his daugther's and not feel the need to worry about what he is going to do in life from here.

I don't think that any of the Queen's children are allowed to rest on their laurels.
A new job will be found for Andrew, and Edward and Charles are already committed, as is the Princess Royal.

I like Russophile's idea of him doing some sort of work to support the UK's Armed Forces and perhaps those of the Commonwealth as well. It's one area where he definitely has useful experience.

A new job will be found for Andrew, and Edward and Charles are already committed, as is the Princess Royal.

Please note that some posts have been deleted and/or edited to remove some of the off topic posts (i.e. location of Sarah and Andrew's honeymoon and Finding Sarah) as well as some very RUDE posts toward your fellow members.

Please treat everyone with respect even if you disagree with their opinions.

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom