Prince Andrew, Duke of York Current Events 5: November 2009-June 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With his reputation in the gutter at the moment - no organisation would want him in any public capacity.

That is the problem.

If he is forced out of his current position - and at the moment he is weathering the storm - he has nothing else to offer. I said it weeks ago - he probably needs to be retired from public view and look after one of Mummy's estates.

I agree with you.I really think he needs to be retired.

Last edited by a moderator:
1222 said:
I agree with you.I really think he needs to be retired.

The problem with being retired at 51 with no discernible means of support is how he would live? OK Mummy might be willing to support him but what about his brother and then his nephew?

What happens in 10 years time when he is unemployed, no Mummy and a brother not willing to support him - a prince of the realm living on the streets???

Last edited:
Did Andrew receive any inheritance from the Queen Mother?

We don't really know for sure as her will was sealed but... in the normal course of events I would have expected the Queen Mum to have left some sort of trust fund to each of her grandchildren and living great-grandchildren at the time of her death. I would also expect that she would have left more to David Linley and Sarah Chatto and their descendents as they others will also get some inheritance from the Queen but...given Andrew's expenses and the expenses of his ex-wife it is possible that he might already have gone through that - of course he might have invested it wisely and be fine financially. He must be reasonably ok as he doesn't have a paying job.

Or he might not have touched it at all. Considering everything of his is all expenses paid I think he would've been more likely to pass that along to his daughters. Now if Sarah had access to that money, well we don't know do we?

It has been reported that William now no longer talks to him at all and Charles is also furious with him - the future doesn't look good.

It's hard to know what rumors are true and what rumors are not. But I think the fact that Sarah was not invited to the wedding says a lot. It's not only an indication of their opinion of Sarah, but also of their opinion of Andrew!

If Prince Andrew retires from his present job, I'm sure he will find another job. He's only 51 years old (too young to retire). I doubt that in his old age if he fell into financial difficulty (not likely to happen) that the family would throw him out into the street. His daughters would step up to the plate if he needed help.

I am sure the Queen will leave Prince Andrew money when she dies. Maybe she already has trust funds in place for her children.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with being retired at 51 with no discernible means of support is how he would live? OK Mummy might be willing to support him but what about his brother and then his nephew?

What happens in 10 years time when he is unemployed, no Mummy and a brother not willing to support him - a prince of the realm living on the streets???
Realy Bertie you make HRH out to be no better qualified to live in the real world than a helpless babe in arms. THe man has resources and friends, albeit some questionable and of dubious reputation however I believe he can manage were he to be cut lose.

Despite their differences, I can't imagine Charles (or William, for that matter) allowing any member of the RF to be reduced to penury. I'm sure some provision would be made for Andrew.

He has the millions he made from the sale of Sunningdale. He really is an embarrassment for Britain.

It would be deemed expedient for Prince Andrew to retire from the public duties. It would be safe to presume that some of his acquaintances from the CIS countries might help him to invest a smaller part of his fortune into very profitable ventures. This might assist in covering some daily expenses.

Last edited:
He must have developed some leadership/management abilities when he was in the navy. He worked in Navy Intelligence, I believe, as well. I don't think that the man's as "dumb as a post."

THe man has resources and friends, albeit some questionable and of dubious reputation however I believe he can manage were he to be cut lose.

He must have developed some leadership/management abilities when he was in the navy. He worked in Navy Intelligence, I believe, as well. I don't think that the man's as "dumb as a post."

I'd have to disagree with that. I don't know I'd say that he's "dumb as a post" but I don't think he's got very good judgment, and his management skills are uneven. I remember several occasions when Andrew was sent on a somewhat sensitive mission, flubbed it, and Charles had to clean up after him. A massive plane crash was one such occasion.

What occasions were these?

I remember several occasions when Andrew was sent on a somewhat sensitive mission, flubbed it, and Charles had to clean up after him. A massive plane crash was one such occasion.

Lockerbie, for one.

Please explain.

I have been following the royals for over 40 years and have no memory of Andrew ever needing someone to 'clean up' after him.

I know that Wikileaks says that Gaddafi thanked Andrew, the Queen and Mr Brown for the decision but other than that what is there that says that Andrew did the wrong thing over Lockerbie and that Charles then had to clean up after his brother.

What occasions were these?

Andrew made some incredibly thoughtless remarks in the aftermath of the Pan Am Lockerbie crash. Essentially, he went to Scotland and said "those poor Americans." Eleven residents of Lockerbie were killed in addition to the multitude of nationalities represented on the aircraft itself.

Here's a link:

prince charles - the 2nd Lockerbie disaster 1988

Charles had to make a later visit and mop up after Andrew.

I won't go into the role that Andrew' *may have had* in helping free the Lockerbie bomber...*perhaps* having come about due to his relationship with the dictator's son...

Last edited:
So in the day after the event Andrew goes to the place and makes a comment that some found offensive because he acknowledged the majority of those killed.

Then there is a memorial service at which no member of the royal family was present.

Five weeks later Charles goes and visits with the 11 families and somehow he is mopping up after his brother.

That might be some people's spin.

Others might argue he was mopping up for the callous attitude of his mother in not attending the memorial service or not sending any member of the family to attend but no he was mopping up for Andrew's comment the day after the disaster and at the disaster sight when people's emotions would still have been very raw and for all we know Andrew may have been in total shock at what he saw when he visited and said 'Americans' when he meant 'people'. Had he said' those poor people' no one would have taken offense but he said 'Americans' - who were the vast majority of the people on board and he is in the wrong of course.

prince charles - the 2nd Lockerbie disaster 1988

The point is that many in Scotland were deeply offended by Andrew's remarks; I remember at the time a top politician (I think it was the PM) saying "This is a disaster; we need to get Charles up there NOW!" He went and calmed things down.

The point is that many in Scotland were deeply offended by Andrew's remarks; I remember at the time a top politician (I think it was the PM) saying "This is a disaster; we need to get Charles up there NOW!" He went and calmed things down.

Exactly, Mirabel. Charles isn't my cup of tea in his personal life, but his professionalism is dead-on in situations like this. Andrew did nothing to even attempt to clean up after himself on that one. Charles did the dirty work.

ETA: After I married my husband, I found out that his friends lost cousins on that flight, and had gone to Lockerbie the week after. The incredible friendship, warmth, and shared grief of the people of Lockerbie was and is notable. It really put Andrew's remarks in perspective for me. It's so tiresome to have people always try to re-interpret what he said or did to spin it as positively as possible. He screwed that up and didn't have the good grace to eat a slice of humble pie, nor attempt to make it right.

Last edited:
I think iluvbertie's point is that perhaps Charles's attendance was more to do with cleaning Andrew's mess than doing PR on behalf of the entire BRF.So perhaps we should not be quick to assume without specific proof that Charles was there to clean up Andrew's mess. I didn't hear that come from his lips or any of the mouthpieces that usually speak on behalf of members of the BRF.

As mentioned in the article, no one from the royal family showed up to convey their condolences.

Yes, Andrew words weren't the smartest but there were a lot of errors to go around. Notice nowadays when a tragedy happens the BRF usually sends a representative, perhaps as a result of how they handled Lockerbie?

I was watching this YouTube clip of William and Kate's wedding to listen to the processional piece again (I thought it was so beautiful). Near the end, when Kate reaches William at the altar, the camera shows Prince Andrew on the right hand side (I didn't see him at all when I watched the wedding on CBC).

Now, Andrew can sometimes look glum, but his expression here is unmistakably sad. Watching the video on full screen, the contrast just stood out to me. Harry, William, Kate, and Mr. Middleton are smiling at the altar - and every time Andrew glances over at the four of them, his mouth goes down. His eyes are sad and he can't even crack the slightest smile.

I have to think that this wedding was a painful experience for Andrew. He walked down the aisle of Westminster Abbey in his naval uniform and sword - and the last time he did that was almost 25 years ago on his own wedding day. If anyone thinks Andrew no longer regrets his own marriage break-up, I would just direct them to 30 seconds of this video (4:34 - 5:04)...and especially if you pause it at 4:45. I can't think of any reason for the look on his face except regret.

YouTube - Westminster Abbey Choir - I Was Glad (Charles Hubert Hastings Parry)

Last edited:
I was watching this YouTube clip of William and Kate's wedding to listen to the processional piece again (I thought it was so beautiful). Near the end, when Kate reaches William at the altar, the camera shows Prince Andrew on the right hand side (I didn't see him at all when I watched the wedding on CBC).

Now, Andrew can sometimes look glum, but his expression here is unmistakably sad. Watching the video on full screen, the contrast just stood out to me. Harry, William, Kate, and Mr. Middleton are smiling at the altar - and every time Andrew glances over at the four of them, his mouth goes down. His eyes are sad and he can't even crack the slightest smile.

I have to think that this wedding was a painful experience for Andrew. He walked down the aisle of Westminster Abbey in his naval uniform and sword - and the last time he did that was almost 25 years ago on his own wedding day. If anyone thinks Andrew no longer regrets his own marriage break-up, I would just direct them to 30 seconds of this video (4:34 - 5:04)...and especially if you pause it at 4:45. I can't think of any reason for the look on his face except regret.

YouTube - Westminster Abbey Choir - I Was Glad (Charles Hubert Hastings Parry)

Watching the wedding yesterday rmay I thought the very same thing.
The coverage shown on our national TV channel here in Ireland actually had the camera on Andrew quiet a bit, and from the moment he arrived he looked as miserable as hell. I suppose it's only natural his own wedding day crossed his mind, but I was still surprised he didn't manage a smile even once. On these type of occasions he is normally very jolly and smiley. I think if Sarah was there it might have been even more painful.
I thought yesterday was beautiful as well, and I was reading articles on various websites, and a few had body language experts giving their impressions of the balcony kiss. A lot of the comments posted said that it was a more loving and genuine kiss the Diana and Charles, but I was surprised (because of their unpopularity) the number of people who commented that Sarah and Andrew looked the happiest of the couples, and that theirs was most people favourite balcony moment.
Years on it was surprising that Andrew's sadness looked so raw yesterday.

Watching the wedding yesterday rmay I thought the very same thing.
The coverage shown on our national TV channel here in Ireland actually had the camera on Andrew quiet a bit, and from the moment he arrived he looked as miserable as hell. I suppose it's only natural his own wedding day crossed his mind, but I was still surprised he didn't manage a smile even once. On these type of occasions he is normally very jolly and smiley. I think if Sarah was there it might have been even more painful.
I thought yesterday was beautiful as well, and I was reading articles on various websites, and a few had body language experts giving their impressions of the balcony kiss. A lot of the comments posted said that it was a more loving and genuine kiss the Diana and Charles, but I was surprised (because of their unpopularity) the number of people who commented that Sarah and Andrew looked the happiest of the couples, and that theirs was most people favourite balcony moment.
Years on it was surprising that Andrew's sadness looked so raw yesterday.

It's interesting you mention that, because I had seen his expression during the service, as well as pictures of him outside the Abbey. He didn't seem to smile much outside. It's just like he just didn't want to be there at all.

You're right though, that Sarah and Prince Andrew looked happier than Charles and Diana--in a sense, they may have been a pretty good match for each other, except for the fact that he was a Royal and also active in the military, as well as lack of support from the Family for Sarah.

As others said before, it looks like the Family has learned from both Charles and Andrew--didn't the Queen laid down the rule about not marrying someone they haven't known for less than 5 years for all future Royal marriages?

They may be unpopular now but it doesn't change what people felt for them then. They were the breath of fresh air, had they had their heads on a little straighter you never know what could've happened.

I too thought that Andrew looked sad and I wondered if he was remembering the day that he had stood at that same altar and his gorgeous wife arrived to be by his side.

I had to think of Andrew today as I heard that his friend Saif, the son of Muammar Ghaddafy, was killed last night in a NATO strike.

I seriously think Andrew has a lot on his mind and doesn't shrug it off so easily. A lot of things weighing on his mind and most likely, as suggested, the memories of another wedding in the Abbey long ago reflected in his mood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom