Portraits of Crown Princess Mary

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ysbel said:
The first official portrait of Mary hangs in Australia so it doesn't belong to Denmark and many people in Denmark aren't going to go to Australia just to view the painting.

I think Denmark should have a portrait of their Crown Princess that stays in Denmark as should every other country with a monarchy. But other countries may not have as strong a tradition for painted portraits which makes the Danish traditions so nice to see.

I agree with you ysbel, i like the tradition as well. I dont know, it gives a feeling of security. When a portrait is painted of a royal ie Mary, it is then ensured that that person will be acknowledged and remembered centuries later.

- (QUOTE) - Oh come on now. Mary's got it made. She has an easier life than zillions of us. But what's with yet again an official portrait? Why? THe girl isn't queen yet, after all. Maxima and Letizia don't yet have one, as far as I know. No wonder with all these portraits Mary must think she's god's gift to denmark.

- It is not Mary herself who has ordered the portrait - The National Museum of Frederiksborg Castle is the danish portrait collection (like the National Portrait Gallery in London) and this museum houses portraits of all important danes including the royal family. There is a special 'royal' gallery in the museum where photos and painted portraits shows all the members of the royal family - I think it would be strange if they should not have a portrait of Mary as she IS A MEMBER OF THE DANISH ROYAL FAMILY!

So - it's not a question about if she is yet a queen or not or if she thinks she is god's gift to Denmark!

Emmily said:
It's funny how we can all see something different in the portrait and this princess. I don't see arrogance at all in how she's painted. She appears thoughtful and serious to me. She's looking at a picture of her birth country, Australia, and seems to be thinking about that past life.

Emmily

I see it similar to the the way you do. It seems to portray her thinking about where she has been and where she has made the decision to go. Quite serious decisions in the scheme of life. No arrogance, just determination. I like the portait very much indeed.

Jaques Demolay

(QUOTE) - Oh come on now. Mary's got it made. She has an easier life than zillions of us. But what's with yet again an official portrait? Why? THe girl isn't queen yet, after all. Maxima and Letizia don't yet have one, as far as I know. No wonder with all these portraits Mary must think she's god's gift to denmark.

Mary dosen't think that she is gods gift to Denmark. Mary is Frederiks gift to Denmark. If you believe in god then you must expect that he will make your life easier when he feels you deserve it. You obviously haven't deserved it so far.
I do recognise what you are saying though, I heard it in kindergarten when the carer gave one of us a lolly or candy, she gave us all one.

However we are grown ups now and don't all require something just because the other has it.
Letizia and Maxima will have their portraits done when the feel like it or their families request it. Heck they may even get a couple.

Jaques Demolay

Some pictures from Face to Face

Attachments

• mary1.jpg
    mary1.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 320
  • mary2.jpg
    mary2.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 387
  • mary3.jpg
    mary3.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 348
  • mary4.jpg
    mary4.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 308
I thought the picture was so beautiful! Something different, Mary is not focusing on the painter or us as an audiense but at the art that she is surounded by, I think the picture is very unique, the artist has done something new, at least when it comes to royal paintings.

Anita said:
Totally agree with you ! Poor little Mary who has to become a queen ...:rolleyes:

No different from "Poor" little Maxima or "Poor" little Mathilda or "Poor" little Mette-Marit or "Poor" little letizia....all who are to become Queen Consorts!

Your sounding like an 18th century revolutionary :D Except they exclaimed Poor Little Marie ...Oh, and what would you know, same name different spelling :rolleyes:

princess olga
yes, the sombreness of the new portrait conveys the seriousness of mary's life and the hardships she has to endure as crown princess: after all, think about it: this poor girl, having to go and dress up to unveil yet again an official portrait of herself, it's a tough life isn't it, to unveil portraits of oneself and be admired for it...but someone has got to do it..

Oh come on now. Mary's got it made. She has an easier life than zillions of us. But what's with yet again an official portrait? Why? THe girl isn't queen yet, after all. Maxima and Letizia don't yet have one, as far as I know. No wonder with all these portraits Mary must think she's god's gift to denmark.

Bad form "PO", bad form!

"MII"

Did the Prince cut his hair? He looks good and young. And about the painting I think it looks nice it's totally different from her other paintings. And she always looks good on whatever she wears.

Margrethe II said:
Somehow, I dont think the artist said as he was getting ready to sketch... "Now Ma'am, if you could could seem aloof for me, arrogant, someone who doesn't really care or have the time... maybe point your chin up perh.... thats it, keep it there."

As for the first portrait, you are correct, it was a gift and so wont be classified as anything official or commissioned. Therefore there are only two.

"MII"

No, but a good artist would capture the spirit of the subject s/he's painting. The tilted head and the in-the-air chin are very much how Mary held herself in public. It gives out the air of haultiness and arrogance. The artist didn't direct how she posed. Mary posed that way because that's the way she usually carried herself.

Even though that first portrait wasn't an "official" one. It's a portrait of her nonetheless. Mary accepted it by the way. It doesn't matter whether it's official or not, it's interesting that three different artists all capture a haughty, distant, aloof woman in their portrait. Coincidence or that's exactly how Mary carries herself?

I like the painting.
It shows CP Mary reflecting her past, present and future as she ponders,
while putting on her glove facing the window.Wondering how she will
handle her future life now as a royal and the challenges she has to
confront as she leaves the room within the Palace walls.

Has any media ask CP Frederik what he thinks of the portrait,
or the DRF for that matter.
Is it normally done to ask their views.

Last edited by a moderator:
Margrethe II said:
No different from "Poor" little Maxima or "Poor" little Mathilda or "Poor" little Mette-Marit or "Poor" little letizia....all who are to become Queen Consorts!

Your sounding like an 18th century revolutionary :D Except they exclaimed Poor Little Marie ...Oh, and what would you know, same name different spelling :rolleyes:

Bad form "PO", bad form!

"MII"
All right, all right, my comment might have come across as a bit harsh. My piont really is this: nothing against Mary, she is after all doing a fine job within the confines of royal consort and figure head of a small country. Nothing wrong with that.

And no, Mary herself never stated she was God's gift to Denmark. (Joachim did) Although she did say she thought her meeting Fred was fate, so therefore pre-destined, which in my opinion sounds a bit smug, but she gave the quote when she was just engaged, so one can understand such an expression I take it.

But I honest to goodness think that comments such as Linda's that state that the lives of (any of the respective crown princesses) are, to use Linda's words, "very tough" are getting a bit, well, worn.

Reading over and over how crown princess x, y or z is so very admirable for the very tough path she's taking, doesn't, if anything, make for very intersting discussion.

And second, let's get an ounce of reality into the fold here.

Whatever path these crown princesses are on might be a challenge, but 'very tough' it really ain't. Let's face it: If these ladies have it tough, how on earth would you describe the lives lead by the rest of us?! ('Very tough' in my opinion are the lives of the billions of people who, to name but one obvious example, struggle every day to make ends meet & feed their families.)

As for the portrait: I like it actually. It has an inexplicable timelessnes to it that I like. The colors are a bit dark, but why shouldn't they be, the whole thing looks cohesive and seems to tell a story of a woman's journey. Mary is recognizable as herself (seems like a huge dhoh! but not all portraits do their subject matter justice imo), yet there's something left for the imagination of the viewer. And her chin--well, yes, it is a bit up-in-the-air, but people in pensive moods often do that, so perhaps it's a reflection of that.

Mary's shoes did not look good with the outfit, but the hat was very nice.

Hi! I'm new here and I would just like to comment on Mary's portrait.... I think the portrait is good in a way that it's not too severe to look at. It's not like what you expected from a royal portrait... like those we see on TV... wearing jewels, standing still and a little Monalisa smile. Mary's was more of informal and somewhat intellectual... you'd wonder what she was thinking with that pose. :)

However, despite the informality of the portrait... the background seemed a bit too overwhelming, like what was previously said... it was too dark. At first glance of the portrait... your eye is drawn not on Mary but on the images surrounding Mary's figure. Add to that... the color chosen for Mary's outfit was neutral... losing to the darkness of the background. It would have been better if the background was a little lighter, giving emphasis on Mary. (Although... there's a part of me that says that the artist IS aiming for Mary's subtlety in the portrait). :)

Anyway, just my opinion. :)

I was out of town for the weekend and I come back to see this thread fill six pages with this portrait! :) I like the portrait because it steps away from the traditional royal portrait. Mary is shown in modern dress, in boots not dainty heels, looking to the side, she is off-centered, and her hair is natural. Her other portrait was more traditional so I liked how this stepped away from that. I wish she wasn't putting on gloves though, to me it just seems kind of awkward. But Mary and Frederick looked lovely as always!

Chin up

Seems like the artist looked at the same video I have watched of Mary -- has always seemed to me that she regularly holds her head and chin up and at an angle that suggests a superiority and aloofness. I think he nailed Mary's posture very well.

Well, personally, i think that if Mary holds her head up high, then it shows confidence and determination. Would you prefer a princess who has her head down and looking timid and scared and looking as if she couldnt care less? Good on you Mary, for a good posture! :)

princess olga said:
All right, all right, my comment might have come across as a bit harsh.

Its all cool..I know you dont really have anything personal against the Crown Princess "PO" ;)

it's interesting that three different artists all capture a haughty, distant, aloof woman in their portrait. Coincidence or that's exactly how Mary carries herself?

Thats the way you percieve her and fair enough..I could'nt disagree more!

"MII"

Must admit I really like it , its diffrent, instead of the norm where they are standing in or sitting in a fancy dress, looking all lady like etc .
its diffrent . thumbs up from me!!!

Yes, princess Letizia had a portrait no official but she wore a wedding dress.

The portrait is beautiful. It changes from what we use to see: the subject wearing an informal dress. The only drawback of the painting is the darkness. But I guess, the painter wanted to enhance the private aspect of CP Mary.

highpriestess said:
It doesn't matter whether it's official or not, it's interesting that three different artists all capture a haughty, distant, aloof woman in their portrait. Coincidence or that's exactly how Mary carries herself?

That's what you see, I guess.
I actually think that those three artists did not capture the same.
And certainly not a haughty, distant, aloof woman.

In the first painting you just see sunglasses,
you actually can't really see the expression on Mary's face.
I read somewhere that the artist wanted to stress out Mary's discreetness.
F&M managed to keep their relation secret for 1 year and
for 2 years the Danes knew that she existed but they did not really know anything about her.
And Mary (unlike Marie) kept her feelings for herself and her mouth shut
(hided behind sunglasses, so to speak).
That was the artist's intent but I personally think it's a lousy painting.
He made Mary look like a mafiosa.:)

In the second painting she looks friendly but dignified and a little bit shy to me,
in the third painting now I see a very pensive woman.

Three different facettes captured by three different artists.
And I hope someday someone will capture Mary's beautiful smile.:)

Edit: After having seen them again I must say: She is actually smiling in the first two pictures.

Last edited:
Linda Hsu said:
You are absolutely right......Margrethe II. There are only TWO OFFICIAL portraits of Crown Princess Mary of Denmark at the moment.

The portrait with the sunglasses was definitely NOT considered as the OFFICIAL portrait at all.

Cheers
Does anyone have a link to the other portraits. I would really like to see the one with the sunglasses.

Thanks for the links. The one in the sunglasses is very bad. I can not understand why someone would paint this!!!!

I am sorry but the hat is just terrible. It ruined the gorgeus dress and the stunning shoes. She looks good with hats, but this one was unesesary, specially if the unveiling took place inside. she should have taken th ehat off. At least she would have been perfect ( as always) inside the clastle.

I love the new portrait. I have no criticism other than maybe if the light coming through the window was even brighter, it would be better symbolism for a happy future. She does seem a bit alone...maybe at the far left, coming from another room, could have been a silhouette of Frederick or his hand reaching out or something similar, to show she doesn' t have to go it alone (but I know the portrait is supposed to focus on her.)

About her smile, and possible haughty / cold appearance....I think she prefers to be photographed w/a closed-mouth, subtle smile, instead of with a very broad smile. Quite a few photos for which she has posed feature a closed-mouth smile - for example the wedding and engagement photos. I personally find her prettier w/the slight smile - her chin looks less prominent.

For all of those who read my comments as "anti-Mary" -- it's not meant to be. Mary is hands down one of my favorite royals. However, in my ever so be humble opinion, her body language -- intentional or not -- gives off vibes that suggest she has a certain personality (aloof, cold, etc.). She probably is a delightful woman -- CP Frederik must certainly think so. If anything, I think she probably feels like she has to project a certain "royal" image because she comes from such a normal (read: "non-royal") background. I think with time she will loosen up and relax.

"Pensive" is a good read of the latest portrait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom