Nicholas Medforth-Mills (formerly His Royal Highness Prince Nicholas of Romania)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nicholas has had an Irish girlfriend and was seeing a Romanian lady after her. So being gay is probably wishful thinking by some persons attracted to Nicholas' good looks, I assume.

Btw, shouldn't we change the name of this thread?

Even this is unclear:

Is it a return to his original name Nicholas Medforth-Mills or is it a return to his changed name Nicholas de Roumanie Medforth-Mills, since the dude in question apparently saw no future for him in Romania?

:ermm:

I know Nick very well. I have stayed with him in Romania, in his modest flat in the city centre. And he has stayed with me as well, in my home. Firstly, HE IS NOT GAY. Without revealing what has brought about this despicable action, it was no more than a silly lark that was pounced upon by certain people with an agenda. What this was will never be known outside a few people with very tight lips, and it is far from a great scandal. To be honest this would appear to have backfired as he is immensely popular in Romania. He has worked hard to carve himself a worthwhile niche and would have been an invaluable asset to the future of the royal family. He will find his future in private life and do well, as he is a personable and charming man, with great potential. I hope you all wish him well.

First time that the Roumanian Monarchists critics their King who is at the end of his life.

First time that the Roumanian Monarchists critics their King who is at the end of his life.

No, it is not the first time. When King Michael removed the Hohenzollerns from the royal succession and created a new Royal House, this was met with fierce criticism as well. When King Michael cut off the links with the House of Hohenzollern and removed the title Prince (Princess) of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen from himself and his five daughters, all direct Hohenzollern-agnates, this was met with criticism by monarchists as well.

I mean now .. A Prince of Roumania who lost his Predicate HRH and tittle of Prince.

Will we ever see King Michael in public in Roumania again ??

No, it is not the first time. When King Michael removed the Hohenzollerns from the royal succession and created a new Royal House, this was met with fierce criticism as well. When King Michael cut off the links with the House of Hohenzollern and removed the title Prince (Princess) of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen from himself and his five daughters, all direct Hohenzollern-agnates, this was met with criticism by monarchists as well.

Was not Paul Lambrino really the only person who was upset by that?

I cannot recall seeing much in the Romanian media against the action.

Not even the Furst von Hohenzollern issued a statement.

A small romanian party has acted
The National Christian Democrat Peasant Party (PNTCD) on Thursday initiated an online petition asking King Mihai I to reconsider his decision to strip his grandson Nicolae the “price” title and to remove him from the line of succession.
Romanian Peasant Party initiates petition asking King Mihai to reconsider decision on grandson Nicolae _ The Romania Journal

It is natural to have reactions (even small). Nicolae managed in a short time become likeable to the people (in some at least) of Romania.
A general statement without any particular reason (living anyone to say everything want) is naturally not enough for some people.

Was not Paul Lambrino really the only person who was upset by that?

I cannot recall seeing much in the Romanian media against the action.

Not even the Furst von Hohenzollern issued a statement.

On the European Royal Message Board a fellow poster who seems remarkably well informed wrote:

Posted by raalcom on 12/8/2015, 14:33:04, in reply to "Romanian Royal Family- what next?"
User logged in as raalcom

The new succession line is, I'm afraid, a sad joke, the shadow of a shadow that lost all traces of credibility. How many times can succession pass on female line ? Margarita "Custodian of the Crown" (always a strange and never convincing formula), Elena ("2nd Custodian" ?) and Karina ("3rd Custodian" ?) ?

In 1997, Romanian monarchists asked King Michael to designate an Heir from the German Catholic line of the Hohenzollerns. He initially agreed, but then, under pressure from Queen Anna, he changed his mind, accepting the idea of Nicolae as successor and heir. Romanian monarchists (some of them knowing the Family in close quarters) split, back then, in two parties: those who were against this unconstitutional decision, and those who accepted it together with the idea that the "monarchy" should adopt modern norms. We know what happened.

Normally, the legal and legitimate Heir is one of the German Catholic Hohenzollerns, namely Fuerst Karl-Friedrich. However, he publicly stated in 2009 he is not interested in claiming such a right (and he repeats it in private even now). We are therefore left with his son, Alexander (b. 1987), more attracted to politics than his father is and was [....]

So it was by far not only Paul Lambrino whom was upset by that.

On the European Royal Message Board a fellow poster who seems remarkably well informed wrote:

Posted by raalcom on 12/8/2015, 14:33:04, in reply to "Romanian Royal Family- what next?"

The new succession line is, I'm afraid, a sad joke, the shadow of a shadow that lost all traces of credibility. How many times can succession pass on female line ? Margarita "Custodian of the Crown" (always a strange and never convincing formula), Elena ("2nd Custodian" ?) and Karina ("3rd Custodian" ?) ?

In 1997, Romanian monarchists asked King Michael to designate an Heir from the German Catholic line of the Hohenzollerns. He initially agreed, but then, under pressure from Queen Anna, he changed his mind, accepting the idea of Nicolae as successor and heir. Romanian monarchists (some of them knowing the Family in close quarters) split, back then, in two parties: those who were against this unconstitutional decision, and those who accepted it together with the idea that the "monarchy" should adopt modern norms. We know what happened.

Normally, the legal and legitimate Heir is one of the German Catholic Hohenzollerns, namely Fuerst Karl-Friedrich. However, he publicly stated in 2009 he is not interested in claiming such a right (and he repeats it in private even now). We are therefore left with his son, Alexander (b. 1987), more attracted to politics than his father is and was [....]

King Michael did not "exclude" the Hohenzollerns until 2011.

This is the time to which you seemed to be referring, and this was when it was basically only Paul Lambrino who reacted. What happened in the 1990s was taking place behind closed doors, and no one publicly said anything against the King's decision to make Margarita "Custodian of the Crown."

I was surprised to learn from that poster that it was the Queen who was in favour of allowing the princesses to have dynastic rights.

It seems that the Romanians are -financially- not very well off. At best some 10 million Euro worth and this is mainly stocked in four historic estates.

When the King dies, his estate will be divided by his five daughters, unless the King donates it to a legal entity, to preserve it for the future. But such a Foundation or a Trust needs a working capital too. Ánd such a donation would 'rob' Margarita, Elena, Irina, Sophia and Maria from their inheritance, of course, so probably there will be a family feud when the father has donated it all away into the hands of a Trust.

Nicholas, on his turn, has to share his mother's inheritance (1/5th of her father's inheritance) with his sister Elisabeta Karina. In the best outcome that probably will leave him with 1 million Euro in wealth, of which most will be in stones and not in cash. Then the taxman will knock at Nicholas door, as well... All by all it is really not that strange that Nicholas probably prefers to pursue a career in business.

Last edited:
The source we were referring to estimated the Royal House to be worth €60 million after the financial crisis with four palatial residences (not including Elisabeta Palace, presumably) and 20,000 hectares of land/forestry.

Princesses Margarita and Maria are childless, so their shares may devolve upon one of their nephews or nieces. It is definitely not going to the Kreuger branch as they have no contact with their maternal relatives in Europe. Nicholas and Karina are the only options.

Historian Daniel Focşa in Epoch Times

King Michael's decision, a true suicide of the Romanian Royal family
King Michael's decision to remove Prince Nicholas from the line of succession will remain in history - if it will not be taken back - as the end of this dynasty. I see it as a true suicide of the Romanian Royal family. It is a gesture as incomprehensible and illogical as disastrous by its consequences, for the Royal House, for the idea of the monarchy's restoration and for the country. Because we don't want the monarchy for the sake of the monarchy, but because we consider monarchy as the best form of Government for Romania...
... the King is a man of almost 94 years, and Princess Margarita is nearing 70 and has no children. Nicholas was brought into the country five years ago to secure the future of the dynasty. Is a young man who loves Romania and is loved. He represents the future. When a 94-year old man severs the future of his own family and the country, without even giving clear explanations, without understanding the reasons, from Switzerland and in the absence of the person "executed" in contempt feelings for love that an entire country feels for the young Prince, then the situation becomes hallucinated. And completely unacceptable...
... Prince Nicholas should remain in Bucharest, in the middle of the Romanians who love and trust him. With or without titles, he belongs to the country and the romanian people.
Decizia Regelui Mihai, un adevărat suicid al Familiei Regale române
Translation

I wonder if king Michael and the rest of those who made the decision, believed that it would make this much negative articles.

Well, Fb... And the people with Nicholas as 'Friend' naturally will act with disappointment and disbelief. The best thermometer is the common Romanian in the street and most likely they could not care less....

This is not the point who cares and who not!

Historian Daniel Focşa in Epoch Times

King Michael's decision, a true suicide of the Romanian Royal family
King Michael's decision to remove Prince Nicholas from the line of succession will remain in history - if it will not be taken back - as the end of this dynasty. I see it as a true suicide of the Romanian Royal family. It is a gesture as incomprehensible and illogical as disastrous by its consequences, for the Royal House, for the idea of the monarchy's restoration and for the country. Because we don't want the monarchy for the sake of the monarchy, but because we consider monarchy as the best form of Government for Romania...
... the King is a man of almost 94 years, and Princess Margarita is nearing 70 and has no children. Nicholas was brought into the country five years ago to secure the future of the dynasty. Is a young man who loves Romania and is loved. He represents the future. When a 94-year old man severs the future of his own family and the country, without even giving clear explanations, without understanding the reasons, from Switzerland and in the absence of the person "executed" in contempt feelings for love that an entire country feels for the young Prince, then the situation becomes hallucinated. And completely unacceptable...

Couldn´t agree more, Ladyfinn! :flowers:
And it is even more disappointing that it comes from a man who calls himself "King of Romania" while living abroad though he could do otherwise and only takes up residence in Romania on an"alibi" scale...

Last edited:

But it didn´t create that outcry of disbelief and disappointment we experience today by far!

Couldn´t agree more, Ladyfinn! :flowers:
And it is even more disappointing that it comes from a man who calls himself "King of Romania" while living abroad though he could do otherwise and only takes up residence in Romania on an"alibi" scale...

No matter how disappointing this development is to those of us interested in such things, Michael is and always will be the the King of Romania.

His Majesty played a crucial role in turning the tide of WWII so that the fighting in Europe was cut short. Despite always trying to make the right choices, he has still experienced much suffering and injustice in his life. The King, along with Queen Anne, became involved in the Moral Re-Armament movement in the 1950s--his decisions with regards to his family may stem from whatever beliefs he acquired from that time.

Interestingly, the parents of Glenn Close were also involved with the MRA. She gave an interview about what this experience was like for her: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/glenn-close-returns-stage-reveals-740633

The daughters of King Michael may have had similar experiences with MRA and its effect on their family.

But it didn´t create that outcry of disbelief and disappointment we experience today by far!

How do you know? There was almost no internet in 1997 in Romania. Facebook, Twitter and other social media were unknown. I assume you were not in Romania, like me, in 1997 (I was still an adolescent). So when a Romanian gives a first-hand interpretation of the fall-out of King Michael's succession carroussel, then I add credibility to that.

There is little needed to create factions. The Bourbons, the Von Sachsens, the Savoias, the Romanovs, they know it all. I immediately believe that such a decision by King Michael back then was a bombshell amongst those whom were close to the heart of the movement.

My thoughts, for what they're worth:

(1) Prince Nicholas moved out of the Elizabeth Palace because, among other things, pizza couldn't be delivered there? Give me a break. Clearly the family wasn't getting along.

(2) "HRH Princess Elena, the mother of Nicholas, received notification of this decision through a personal letter sent by His Majesty [the] King." That's how a father communicates to his daughter? Clearly some family problems there, too.

(3) If Nicholas needed to be removed from the royal succession, why not just have him return to the UK and say that he decided to return to private life? Why insult him publicly by having a press release that basically said that he was immodest, unbalanced, immoral, lacking respect and not thinking of others? What a terrible way to treat someone.

(4) Why should the King be able to choose the succession? It's the people who should get to pick, and they do so by having the rules of succession in the country's constitution, and those rules can't be changed by the King. If the King can pick who succeeds him, then the monarchy is completely undemocratic. Maybe Romania is different, but most monarchical constitutions that I've seen have the rules of succession set forth there, basically OK'd by the people of the country, which makes the monarchy democratic.

(5) King Michael clearly doesn't care about rupturing a relationship with Nicholas.

This is very, very sad. I feel terribly for King Michael, with one daughter in the US who had legal problems and clearly some problems with his family in Europe, but this wasn't the way to handle Nicholas. It could have been done much more tactfully and discreetly.

I think you paint a too negative image of all this. You have overlooked Nicholas' own asessment of the situation and the future he wants to pursue for himself versus the limitations of his position as a member of the Royal House of Romania, it's future chef even.

That pizza-thing was just framing by the press to ridiculize things. However it all starts with Nicholas himself. If he feels no real commitment and no zest for the House of Romania, if he sees no future for him in Romania (he is essentially a British gentleman born in Switzerland and no Romanian) and is honest about that ("Grandpa, I have had ample thoughts about this, sleepless nights even, but I feel I have to be honest with you...")

Nicholas was a modern royal. The press (and perhaps also readers and the romanian people) loved when a prince tells that he had difficulties to order a pizza to a Palace.
But like CSENYC, I wonder how king Michael treats his family members. Even though Nicholas would have done something terrible, he is still his grandson, and the king should have met him face to face when the decision was made. The decision was made 1st August, but published only on 10th. Nicholas was on a trip abroad, not in Romania and not in Switzerland. Did they catch him only on 9th August so that they could publish the news on 10th? Or I guess, they waited until the letter had went to Elena. Nicholas is an adult, 30 year old man. Why the king has to send a letter to his mother like he was 8 year old and a teacher sends a note home that your son has behaved badly. Removing Nicholas out of the line of succession and taking his title was of course a hard thing to Elena, couldn't a loving father call to her about that?

I agree with you LadyFinn. But I think the real problem is that we do not know what forced King Mihai to take this decision. But yes could handle it better.

The Nomination of Prince Nicolas was done too early. He was only 25 years old.

But when you are nearly 90 , we may understand that King Michael wanted to assure the Crown Princess Sucessor.

As said before what done on 1/8/2015 is a true suicide of the Roumanian Family.

My last word on this thread
AMEN

How do you know? There was almost no internet in 1997 in Romania. Facebook, Twitter and other social media were unknown. I assume you were not in Romania, like me, in 1997 (I was still an adolescent). So when a Romanian gives a first-hand interpretation of the fall-out of King Michael's succession carroussel, then I add credibility to that.

There is little needed to create factions. The Bourbons, the Von Sachsens, the Savoias, the Romanovs, they know it all. I immediately believe that such a decision by King Michael back then was a bombshell amongst those whom were close to the heart of the movement.

Is that Hohenzollern line of the dynasty known to the Romanians at all?!
You keep on insisting Nicholas wouldn´t be native (which is totally irrelevant as he´s the king´s blood grandson and, even more important IMO, very well received by many romanian people); the Hohenzollern branch, a purely german family, is?!

Is that Hohenzollern line of the dynasty known to the Romanians at all?!
You keep on insisting Nicholas wouldn´t be native (which is totally irrelevant as he´s the king´s blood grandson and, even more important IMO, very well received by many romanian people); the Hohenzollern branch, a purely german family, is?!

Until King Michael introduced his foreigner and foreign-born grandson Nicholas, a son of his foreign-living daughter Princess Elena, he was as unknown to the Romanians as Alexander Erbprinz von Hohenzollern now.

Had King Michael -and in his slipstream Princess Margarita and Radu- taken the same path with Prince Alexander as they did with Nicholas, then HE was the one known to the Romanians and not Nicholas.

So the point "The Romanians do not know them" is not relevant. The Romanians also did not know about Nicholas Medforth-Mills until he was suddenly introduced to them as "Prince of Romania".

:flowers:

Picture:

Alexander Erbprinz von Hohenzollern
Karl Friedrich Fürst von Hohenzollern
Katharina Fürstin von Hohenzollern

Taken on the 950-years Jubilee of the House Hohenzollern (2011).

Last edited:
Actually, Nicholas was with the Royal Family when they first returned to the country in 1992.

His mother hoisted the seven-year-old boy onto the balcony of the Continental Hotel as hundreds of thousands of Romanians surged around the building to see King Michael, Queen Anne and their entourage.

So, Nicholas has not been totally unknown to the Romanian people.

Actually, Nicholas was with the Royal Family when they first returned to the country in 1992.

His mother hoisted the seven-year-old boy onto the balcony of the Continental Hotel as hundreds of thousands of Romanians surged around the building to see King Michael, Queen Anne and their entourage.

So, Nicholas has not been totally unknown to the Romanian people.

Photos of Nicholas in Romania in 1992
https://mariusghilezan.ro/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/printul-nicolae-1992-hotel-Continental.jpg
https://media.dcnews.ro/image/201508/w670/principele_nicolae_13010600.jpg
https://royalromania.files.wordpres...nia-april-25-1992-with-king-michael.jpg?w=529

One of those who admires former prince is former philosopher Mihai Sora, honorary member of the Romanian Academy, former Minister of Education. He posted on his Facebook page a photo that "reveals infinitely more" than official communiqués about Prince Nicholas.
Fotografia care arată cu adevărat cine este „Principele” Nicolae _ Dezvăluie infinit mai multe… _ Nasul.tv
Translation

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but the point was that this was the very first meeting of Romanians with that boy - at that moment not at all a Prince. If it was not Nicholas but Alexander, then he was introduced some moment too. That is obvious. It is hard to imagine, but there was a time that Máxima was totally unknown to the Dutch and look now: she has totally overshadowed the King. With other words: that someone is not known now, is not so relevant. Even Obama had to start somewhere...

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom