Meghan Markle: Wedding Dress Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
People don't usually skip the wedding breakfast. If anything some skip the evening party (we did).

Although I doubt the royals do it, another UK tradition that simply doesn't happen in the US is the evening reception invitation. If you get an 'Evening Invitation' that means you are invited to just the reception party but not the ceremony or wedding breakfast. Often a couple will invite people like colleagues and not really close friends to the evening do only. Hubby and I have had evening only invites and we weren't the least bit offended. You usually provide another round of food for the evening guests (buffet food).

Like I say, not sure the BRF would do this, just explaining the concept since American friends and family I know had never heard of this.

Actually this kind of invite does happen in the US. It’s rare but it happens. My aunt and uncle did this because of the size of the chapel they married in.

The discussion about Hollywood and the comparisons between Kate and Grace Kelly's wedding gowns has been deleted. You can discuss Kate and Grace's dresses in their respective wedding threads.

Please take the discussion about wedding receptions and parties to the wedding musing and suggestions thread.

After seeing her engagement dress I think Ian Stuart Brasilia bridal dress fits her style.

Last edited:
She won't wear anything like that to her wedding.

LaRae

Some observers are wondering whether Meghan might wear a Ralph & Russo couture wedding gown (after seeing the lovely R&R engagement photo gown).

Below are some elegant R&R wedding designs that might look fantastic on Meghan:

http://www.weddinginspirasi.com/wp-...r-beaded-applique-white-wedding-ball-gown.jpg
http://munaluchibridal.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/ralph_and_russo_beaded_gown_with_veil.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/12/ab/51/12ab518a9829588fb14f7f394b6198b2.jpg
http://thebijoubride.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/ralph-russo36.jpg

The last two photos are different views of the same gown.

I like the last two gowns here, though the gowns and veils together are a bit much.

I would agree with those who say Meghan is less likely to choose R&R now that she's worn a gown from them for her engagement photos. However, if she were to choose R&R for her wedding gown, then I wouldn't worry too much about it being too busy or over the top, as any gown would be made to suit the occasion and Meghan's taste.

As I said before, the R&R gown she wore was telling, in that, we now know that Meghan isn't afraid to make a more daring choice and honestly, I hope she has the same mindset when choosing her wedding gown. No, I don't expect a sheer top but I'm even more hopeful now that she won't go too safe or conservative.

Not a fan the bodice.

LaRae

I had never seen this gown before and I love it for Meghan. She is petite and slight of frame and IMO needs a bit of embellishment to her gown for added depth. I like the almost severe tailoring with the added appliques and such. Not many brides could pull this off---it's rather different but also traditional in the same breath---kind of like the bride herself. Thanks for bringing that link!:flowers:

In before someone feels compelled to tell me that MM won't wear the exact same dress that Miranda Kerr wore.:lol:
The jewel neckline and simply-tailored sleeves and bodice are to die for if you have the figure to wear it, and she does.

I have to agree, ugly. Wrong material for full sleeves. Boudice and decoration is not good. Too much dress for someone like Meghan.

That color is quite dreadful and so is the material. It looks quite heavy and suffocating.

OK, here I am popping in as a spur of the moment bridal gown consultant for Meghan. From what I know of her up until now, I don't think she will go for anything really spectacular as in a runway bridal design nor go for over embellishments with lots of lace, beads, crystals and such. She'll want a wedding gown that doesn't look like it was bought for the wedding night either.

I think she'll take the venue of St. George's chapel as a movie set costumer would create the clothing for that particular set in the film. I do also think that with the solemnity of the occasion and the focus being on the both of her and Harry, I think she'll basically want something simple, with sleeves and very, very feminine.

With that criteria in mind, I went on an adventure for a wedding dress. I didn't look at price tags or designer's names but solely on how I think Meghan would pick a dress for her wedding. This is it.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/25/ab/76/...dding-dress-sleeves-tulle-wedding-dresses.jpg

Maybe add a train to it?

Last edited:
Sorry Osipi, I don't like that at all. Way too plain and conservative in my opinion.

OK, here I am popping in as a spur of the moment bridal gown consultant for Meghan. From what I know of her up until now, I don't think she will go for anything really spectacular as in a runway bridal design nor go for over embellishments with lots of lace, beads, crystals and such. She'll want a wedding gown that doesn't look like it was bought for the wedding night either.

I think she'll take the venue of St. George's chapel as a movie set costumer would create the clothing for that particular set in the film. I do also think that with the solemnity of the occasion and the focus being on the both of her and Harry, I think she'll basically want something simple, with sleeves and very, very feminine.

With that criteria in mind, I went on an adventure for a wedding dress. I didn't look at price tags or designer's names but solely on how I think Meghan would pick a dress for her wedding. This is it.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/25/ab/76/...dding-dress-sleeves-tulle-wedding-dresses.jpg

Maybe add a train to it?

Sorry. Have to disagree here. She’s 36, not 56. And getting married, not being sent to the tower. She can have a stylish and beautiful gown without too much focus being taken away from her and Harry. They have plenty of chemistry for us, and everyone else, to talk about. :lol:

Sorry Osipi, I don't like that at all. Way too plain and conservative in my opinion.

I have a feeling plain and conservative will be exactly what Meghan chooses.

I also have a feeling that many people are projecting their own princess dreams and their desire for a fashion forward dress on Meghan’s dress and will end up very disappointed with the actual dress. I remember how everyone was convinced Sofia’s dress was going to be something spectacular and we got exactly the opposite. Or how everyone expected simple from Stephanie and she turned up in THAT dress.

I hope I’m wrong, but I just can’t see a 36-year-old woman choosing an over the top dress for her second wedding. I mean, she went simple and plain for her first wedding dress, never seen anyone then go all frilly and princessy the second time around. I think we might see something like Maxima’s dress, just in summer fabric.

Last edited:

I also have a feeling that many people are projecting their own princess dreams and their desire for a fashion forward dress on Meghan’s dress and will end up very disappointed with the actual dress. I remember how everyone was convinced Sofia’s dress was going to be something spectacular and we got exactly the opposite. Or how everyone expected simple form Stephanie and she turned up in THAT dress.

I hope I’m wrong, but I just can’t see a 36-year-old woman choosing an over the top dress for her second wedding. I mean, she went simple and plain for her first wedding dress, never seen anyone then go all frilly and princessy the second time around. I think we might see something like Maxima’s dress, just in summer fabric.

It won’t be plain and it won’t be all blinged out. It will still be stylish. And it wouldn’t break any of the rules of a church wedding.

She went plain and simple for the first wedding because it was a wedding on the beach and it was more relaxed. She’s getting married in a historical church that seats 800 this time. It will be more elaborate than the first wedding. It’ll fit with where she’s getting married and the size and the formality of the wedding. I’m well aware that it won’t be as formal as some of the royal wedding we’ve seen, but nobody will be showing up tieless either. This dress will be more elaborate than her last. And this being her second wedding won’t change that. That is basically being treated as a non-issue here.

I expect her dress to be very elegant/regal ..fitting for St George's and the occasion.

LaRae

It won’t be plain and it won’t be all blinged out. It will still be stylish. .

In your opinion. Other people might have different opinions, but none of us can know what she is thinking, seeing as how we don’t actually know her. One view is as valid as the other.

A dress can fit the venue and still be simple and traditional. Two of my favorite royal wedding dresses are Victoria and Mette-Marit and I would certainly call them simple.

I really did like Victoria's but Mette-Marit's was too severe. It needed something else.

LaRae

I really did like Victoria's but Mette-Marit's was too severe. It needed something else.

LaRae

Their styling was totally different –hair colour, makeup, veil, tiara, flowers…
It makes a lot of difference what the whole picture looks like together, not just the dress.

Yes....I take that into account. Mette-Marit's dress was too severe. It needed something else.

LaRae

I also have a feeling that many people are projecting their own princess dreams and their desire for a fashion forward dress on Meghan’s dress and will end up very disappointed with the actual dress. I remember how everyone was convinced Sofia’s dress was going to be something spectacular and we got exactly the opposite. Or how everyone expected simple form Stephanie and she turned up in THAT dress.

Who said she's going to choose an over the top dress? I never expected her to. But I also don't think she's going to go for a gown similar to her first dress. We are talking about completely different relationships and weddings, after all. Would she have worn a R&R dress for an engagement shoot if she weren't marrying Harry? Safe to say she wouldn't have. Given the ocassion and setting, I think we can expect her to wear a more elaborate, regal gown.

Mette-Marit's is actually really stunning in motion. Especially when walking the stairs it was like a waterfall. When the fabric is good and it's designed with true craftmanship, a dress doesn't need a ton of bling, lace or other applications to make it stand out.

Didn't care for Mette-Marit's dress at all. Victoria's was nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom