Meghan Markle: Family and Background - November 2017-May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Once again I have to say poor Meghan, her sister will be a terror on the wedding day.

So Tom Sr. is estranged from both his older children? Plus Meghan doesn't talk to them and apparently 3 of Samantha's children don't talk to her; that says something about the person we are dealing with here.

:previous: I totally agree that no pressure one way or the other needs to be placed upon Meghan. The fact that she's such a positive, accomplished person who embraces all sides of her unique background is a blessing that would not have been as easily possible at certain points in the history of America. She is a lovely role model for all people. Still, the very fact of who Meghan is, and who she is marrying sparks conversation, and that's a good thing. Again, none of this is cut-and-dried and simplified, or easy to categorize and talk about. It's wonderful that the royal family is willing to embrace diversity and to loosen their old-fashioned strictures against divorce, as well as being open to Meghan's 'bi-racial' background. She is who she is, and that's great.

I don't think there's any question that Meghan is more easily acceptable since she's fair-skinned. If she was darker-skinned, I'm not so sure she would have been as easily accepted. I know that sounds harsh to say. It's also difficult to prove since Harry fell in love with Meghan. Had Harry been attracted to a darker-skinned lady, I do not think he would have contemplated marriage.
Again, it's hard to prove since it didn't happen that way. I'm sure Harry sees Meghan as someone special and so he has the best of everything (has his cake and gets to eat it too, so to speak ;)). Meghan is absolutely gorgeous most of all, and her mixed heritage is not a drawback because being fair-skinned and 'mixed-race' is a nice, sexy combination. It's Meghan's attractive and uplifting personality that really seals the deal, of course. Harry loves Meghan's Mom and he respects her Mom, so it's not a question of prejudice. But we have to be honest that it would have been harder for Harry to marry a darker-skinned lady. I don't see 'race' as something Meghan needs to speak out about at all. She's spoken out already before she began dating Prince Harry. Royals do not tend to speak out on controversial issues. They have pretty much said all they are going to say about it. Harry was very adamant about Meghan being accepted. His original press statement last November is historic and significant. He drew the line in the sand, and his stance was very admirable. It also doesn't hurt that genealogical research has uncovered Meghan's ancient connection to Harry's family on her paternal side. That's fascinating.

I think H&M's actions, choices and the good they will do in the world is enough for them to tackle. The issue of 'race' is too complicated and emotional for them to take on and debate. It would be a no-win for them. The fact that Meghan is accepted by the royals is enough in the larger sense re all of her unique differences. I'm a little skeptical though about people saying things like "... it's enough for her to be there, and that will set an example for young people that interracial relationships are okay." Although that is true to a large degree, it's still problematic in the sense that some people are so up in arms about Meghan having any small bit of black in her background, even when she doesn't really look black. That says a lot about deep-seated and often unconsciously biased cultural attitudes.

Princess Angela of Liechtenstein is darker-skinned and 11 years older than her husband, Prince Maximilian. But perhaps due to the relative obscurity of the Liechtenstein family, it was not a huge issue in 2000 when they married. They met in 1997 in New York and became good friends first and then fell in love. There were older members of the Liechtensteins who were not as accepting of the union.
While I am afraid you might be right that the backlash might have been even greater had Meghan been darker-skinned, I don't think it would have mattered to Harry. I don't see why that would have been a reason for Harry to write her (or anyone else) off as potential marriage material.

Samantha is currently lecturing a fake Harry account on twitter about charity work. IMHO that already tells you, that she will find something to spout about re Meghan and Harry regardless of what Meghan and Harry do and say. She just wants to get her loud voice out there with her nonsense.

She was lecturing Meghan about charity work when the TIME article Meghan wrote came out. She was going on and on how Meghan isn’t changing lives because she’s not giving all of her money to it and how Meghan could’ve spent the money she spends on shoes and bags to help those girls in India. She’s out there. :lol:

Sammy and Jr.'s mother threw them under the bus in an interview with RadarOnline. According to Mom the Markle clan is not the Norman Rockwell painting these two have been selling to the media. I think it will be a matter of time before an outlet will do a deep dive on them and go after them, especially if dirt on Sammy and Jr gets more clicks. Or the outlet claims bragging rights of bringing down officially the ugly half siblings (figure of speech) who are out to destroy Meghan-ella's fairy tale.

Yes, a lot of things could’ve been avoided in life if we just knew the outcome ahead of time. But we don’t. Such as life. It happens.

Like I said, don’t sweat the small stuff. You can’t always win. Might as well be happy in that case.

Eh. Even if Meghan's siblings never uttered a word, I would still think he needs to be mindful of his words because as I said, I didn't care for his comments, in general. I like Harry, he's my favorite royal but he can improve on some things and this is one of them imo. Doesn't matter how small this may be or that he can't always win. He should still strive to be and do better.

Eh. Even if Meghan's siblings never uttered a word, I would still think he needs to be mindful of his words because as I said, I didn't care for his comments, in general. I like Harry, he's my favorite royal but he can improve on some things and this is one of them imo. Doesn't matter how small this may be or that he can't always win. He should still strive to be and do better.

As I said before, [...], he doesn’t need help with putting his foot in his mouth. But it certainly doesn’t deserve the criticism or some pretending to be offended like it has garnered. It’s not the best thing he’s said, but the offensiveness of the comments didn’t come from him. It came from people trying to twist his words. And that will always happen.

If Doria and Tom doesn’t come out and say they are offended, who really can say they are offended? Once again, people just like to be offended on Meghan’s behalf or her parents’ behalf to criticize Harry and the couple.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: But my opinion isn't based on whether or not Meghan or Tom or Doria were offended. We will never know, either way. I'm just saying I didn't like the way it sounded and can understand people interpreting his words differently. Heck, even some of the people defending Harry have different interpretations. Does he deserve as much criticism as he's gotten? Maybe not. But the fact that he knows people hang on every he says is one of the reasons he should be more mindful before speaking.

His comment was taken way out of contexts, he was simply describing the wonderful Christmas he and Meghan shared. No stranger had any reason to feel offended, as he said nothing offending. His words will always get twisted, as they did this time too. It's similar to Meghan saying, that she didn't know much about Harry before their blind date, and some twisted it to her saying, that she didn't know who he was.

:previous: But my opinion isn't based on whether or not Meghan or Tom or Doria were offended. We will never know, either way. I'm just saying I didn't like the way it sounded and can understand people interpreting his words differently. Heck, even some of the people defending Harry have different interpretations. Does he deserve as much criticism as he's gotten? Maybe not. But the fact that he knows people hang on every he says is one of the reasons he should be more mindful before speaking.
It was an in the moment comment. Everyone says things before thoroughly thinking them through. Should he starting to tell people he needs 30 seconds before he can answer a question just to think it through so no one, people that he’s not even talking about, won’t be offended? That’s a terribly exhausting way to live. And I’m glad he doesn’t live like that.

His comment was taken way out of contexts, he was simply describing the wonderful Christmas he and Meghan shared. No stranger had any reason to feel offended, as he said nothing offending. His words will always get twisted, as they did this time too. It's similar to Meghan saying, that she didn't know much about Harry before their blind date, and some twisted it to her saying, that she didn't know who he was.

I thought about what Meghan said and really, I don't see it as similar because Meghan's words were clear, people were just misquoting her. Harry's comments, on the other hand, are more open to interpretation, even within context. Am I offended? No. As I said from the beginning, I don't think Harry meant to offend or to suggest anything negative about Meghan's parents or how she was raised. Still, the quote itself is off putting to me and I can understand why others would wonder exactly what he meant or read more into it.

It was an in the moment comment. Everyone says things before thoroughly thinking them through. Should he starting to tell people he needs 30 seconds before he can answer a question just to think it through so no one, people that he’s not even talking about, won’t be offended? That’s a terribly exhausting way to live. And I’m glad he doesn’t live like that.

Lol Uhh, no, I'm not suggesting he should do that and yes, I'm well aware that everyone has their moments. But this being an off the cuff comment doesn't mean he still can't learn something from it. Suggesting that he said nothing wrong and dismissing it as no big deal is just not the way to go imo. Regardless of what KP says, I'm almost certain Harry will be more thoughtful in what he says about Meghan and her family and that's a good thing.

Last edited:

My point was, that no matter how clearly Meghan or Harry say something, people will twist it to support their agenda. Harry said nothing offensive, yet total strangers choose to be offended on behalf of Meghan's parents. Who most likely aren't offended at all.

This ENTIRE Thread is about people 'taking offence', indeed that is what its FOR...

I just took a peek at Samantha's Twitter account and it's just...wow. She's fueding with people who fired back at her comments about Harry. She called her mom a drunk and cheapshoted someone for getting a bad Xmas present that wasn't wrapped nicely. And DM and other outlets are using her as source material is beyond me. The publishers and editors have to know this is out here. Someone is going published Sammy's tweets and people are going to side eye these tabloids more. SMH

Why are people following Meghan’s sisters twitter then saying how bad it is. Don’t look at it don’t give her the attention. Let’s all move on.
I would be happy if this thread wasn’t on the RF

I didn’t want to upset anyone with that last post but I really think the best thing to do is ignore her it works much better

Why are people following Meghan’s sisters twitter then saying how bad it is. Don’t look at it don’t give her the attention. Let’s all move on.

To be fair, I don’t follow it so she’s not gaining a follower from me. I only go when there is rumbling so I know what is going to come up in tabloids. And in general to watch the train wreck. :lol: But really, if she never mentioned Meghan and Harry again, I couldn’t care less about her. I do notice that when **** really hits the fan, she makes her twitter private. :lol:

I don't follow her. The British press retweet her crap and print it in their stories. She made her twitter private now because yesterday someone was airing all her dirty laundry and she didn't know how to respond. I guess she wasn't expecting that. Now she knows how it feels.

You don't have to 'follow her' to read her posts. You just search for her twitter feed. Takes a few extra seconds (if you follow her, her posts would show up automatically for you), but you don't add to her 'followers'.

Some people just like to watch the train wreck. I don't watch with her but in the past I have checked in on famous peoples rantings for entertainment. Nothing to be proud of but I admit I did it.

I don't follow her, but I've checked her tweets from time to time when she's not been private.

IMHO it's also part of checking the validity of her claims, Meghan has that 'social climber' title attached to her partly because of Samantha, and it's become very clear, that Samantha has no clue who Meghan is.

I've only seen Samantha talk in one documentary where she said she never bad mouthed her sister. When I saw her pop up I wanted to stop watching but there weren't a lot of other documentaries. I will say Samantha's behavior makes me understand why Meghan doesn't associate with her.

Sammy subjected herself to scrutiny the moment she started to blab to the press and hawk her book. She locked up her account because she was afraid her Twitter screed will get back to the media, particularly the media that have been paying for her stories. But I think it's too late.

This childish drama with the estranged sister, brother, other family members and the press is tiresome. She said, he said, they said. Enough already.

Poor Meghan no wonder she is keeping her distance.

First thought .....Disgusting and I would hope they are not invited to the wedding.....family members like that you do not need ever!:eek:

Good gracious I am getting so tired of Meghan's family. It's bad enough there was Uncle Gary but he knew when to shut up. Meghan has a sister brother and now a nephew who won't shut up!

I wouldn't worry about it. The people who are talking have not had any relationship with Meghan for years. I doubt that any of them will be invited to the wedding. There are still a lot of Megan's family who have not spoken, including her parents.
The very fact that this nephew only has a video of when Meghan was 9 years old clearly shows that there is not a close relationship.

Good gracious I am getting so tired of Meghan's family. It's bad enough there was Uncle Gary but he knew when to shut up. Meghan has a sister brother and now a nephew who won't shut up!

Difference??? Gary was actually family. In the sense that he was very much a part of Kate's life. They vacationed at his home. He knew he would be invited to the wedding. So he had the sense to shut up when he had to, so not to threaten that relationship.

Samantha, her brother and nephew are another matter. They have been estranged from Meghan for years. Even before she started with Harry. They had no chance of being invited to family occasions. They have nothing to lose and everything to gain it seems.

I feel bad for Meghan.

These are the same people that said "charity begins at home" meaning that Meghan should do more to "support" her family. Well.... they can't say that anymore really as if it wasn't for Meghan, they'd have nothing to "cash in" on by selling stories and exaggerations to the press. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom