Marriage Customs of the Ruling Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But is that really possible? A non-sheikha becomes the next first lady? I could imagine she got a high position but the highest one? hmmm... Otherwise princess haya (sheikh mo's wife) is not a sheikha but became the title of the first lady of dubai (official or inofficial) but she is at least a royal...

The western press call Haya the first lady not the Dubai or UAE press. Haya never got the title as first lady from Sheikh Mohammed. The Western world refereed her to that because she was public. She just became Sheikh Mohammeds wife nothing more.

The late president of the UAR Sheikh Zayed's wife is the most well know in the UAE comes from a non-Sheikh/ruling tribe.
Sheikh Khalifa (The current president of the UAE), his wife is not a sheikha.
Rulers of Ras Al Khaima, Um al Quwain and Sharjah, all their wives are also from non-ruiling families.

My point is, there is nothing stating that a ruler or crown prince has to marry into the ruling family. All rulers who married to non-sheikha's, their sons are all crown prince's.

Ras Al Khaima ruler, took the title of crown prince away from his eldest son (mother not a sheikha) and gave it to his other son who was from his other wife also not a sheikha.

Last edited:
Their wives r not Sheikhas but are from Very Known Tribes in UAE close to the ruling families & most of them are arranged marriages i guess

If he marries a non sheikha publicly than the children will have the position of as if he had children with a Sheikha. If the wife is made publicly, she will be the first lady of Dubai.

But sheikh mo's wife is also public more much much more than sheikha hind? And she is not the first lady in the UAE public's eye...

Last edited by a moderator:
But sheikh mo's wife is also public more much much more than sheikha hind? And she is not the first lady in the UAE public's eye...

Sorry I dont understand your question.

Their wives r not Sheikhas but are from Very Known Tribes in UAE close to the ruling families & most of them are arranged marriages i guess

No, they arent. The only known family is the 2nd wives of the ruler of Ras al Khaima and Um al Quwain late ruler who come from known buisness families in Duabi.
The current ruler of Um al Quwain, his mother is from an unknown tribe, at the time of the marriage, she comes from a tribe who live near the mountains up North.

Sorry I dont understand your question.

It was mentioned before that P.Haya is called the first lady in Europe (what I can confirm, cause I once read an article about her where she was called "she is the first lady of Dubai") but in UAE is Sheikha Hind accepted as the first lady.

What I was mening is as follows: If sheikh hamdan is going to marry his girl, and when she is in the public eye doesn't that mean that she is only because of beeing "public" she is automatically the first lady. Such an information was posted before. I hope I was able to explain what I was meaning before ...

What I was mening is as follows: If sheikh hamdan is going to marry his girl, and when she is in the public eye doesn't that mean that she is only because of beeing "public" she is automatically the first lady. Such an information was posted before. I hope I was able to explain what I was meaning before ...

The UAE dont refer to the wives as first lady. So whether Hamdan's wife is public like Haya or not public like his mother, it doesnt make a difference since he is official announced that she is his wife therfore she is his wife.

A few rulers have muliple wives, funny enough, the first wive is'nt the one who represents the husband but wife #2 but wife #1's son is the crown prince.

I hope that answers the question.

In the arap culture it seems to be "normal" when men marry up to four wifes. I grew up in middle europe. In western cultures there is no polygamy wedlock. But nevertheless I can't imagine that there do not arise any difficulties between the wifes among each other and their husbund, that they coexist in harmony...

< ed Warren >
The cp is an itelligent young man, he will do the right as possible. His verses (poems) express a lot loyality.

The cp is an itelligent young man, he will do the right as possible. His verses (poems) express a lot loyality.
LOYALTY? I am sorry I don't mean to offend you or anyone else in the forum. But do u really think that these rich, single young sheikhs know the meaning of the word "loyalty"?

yes I do!! just because he is "rich, single and a sheikhs" does not mean he is going to cheat and play arround... at the end of the day he is a man he could be loyal and he could not be its a 50-50 situation . < ed Warren >
i think Hamdan will show loyatly to the girl he loves!

LOYALTY? I am sorry I don't mean to offend you or anyone else in the forum. But do u really think that these rich, single young sheikhs know the meaning of the word "loyalty"?

I must disagree you, only beeing rich doesn't mean the person is not able to have principles. But also there are many citizens who do also not know the word "LOYALITY". Generalizing such statements is not possible IMO. I have never noticed negative reports about sh. hamdan appart from his enviers.

i think Hamdan will show loyatly to the girl he loves!
HUMMM.. Its a 50-50 situation, but IMO from hamdan's surroundings and growin up seeing daddy, family members and friends having multiple wives and some mistresses aside, < ed Warren > ...So i believe to hamdan this might be something very normal to have multiple women at the same time.
In all honesty its just odd and weird to believe that hamdan is a loyal guy..Its a beautiful quality in a man but its almost impossible to believe that the CP of Dubai who has many girls dreaming of him < ed Warren > ,.. being loyal to his gf/wife! But i hope he will be loyal to his lucky wifey! *After all nothing is impossible!;)

Loyalty is really have nothing to do with rich in my opinion,
and on the contrary,If a man has the charm & money enough to date with beauty but he never do that…… I think we can call him loyal…… and a man want to do some cheat but he doesn't has that power so that he is loyal,that's not a pure loyal
But of course,if he want to make the date a secret……that is another thing.

I think some of you die-hard Hamdan fans will not be accept any negativity about him...Loyalty in this case is up for interpretation. 4 wives in an "arab" case is technically loyal cuz polygamy isn't illegal. now mistresses on the side...how many of u actually kno the guy personally? Who knows maybe LV_Girl is right...neither one of us really knows about his flings. And as far as money is concerned...honeys i don't know wut kinda world y'all r living in but money corrupts...regardless of who u r...(this is just two ppl's opinion)...

I totally agree with Faith_g and LV-Girl how many know sheikh hamdan personally , I am sure only very close to him know about his personall life not everyone or anyone, i will not be supries if he is already married that what happen with his father Sheikh mohd get married with two woman befor shiekha hind , only his marrige to shiekha hind & haya b'coz she is king of jordan sister be in public and same things happen with other royal family members , only when the get married to shiekhas or known family girls they mad it offically & annouced to puplic, but many personal ditels or information keep away from public , b'coz of the image of this person in people ayes, sheikh hamdan has loyality to his family , he said one in his poem that no matter how much person love someone in his life , he could never love her more than his family

to say loyalty, we need to discuss it under different cultural backgrounds..... they are allowed to have more than one wife.... so for them, have multiple wives will not be considered as un-loyalty and cheating......

they love big big big family, so, he will have lots of kids...... one wife might not be able to give birth to that many.....i think he will have more than one wife.....

to say loyalty, we need to discuss it under different cultural backgrounds..... they are allowed to have more than one wife.... so for them, have multiple wives will not be considered as un-loyalty and cheating......

they love big big big family, so, he will have lots of kids...... one wife might not be able to give birth to that many.....i think he will have more than one wife.....

It depends on the husband & wife and on how many children they want. The big big families are not something majority of couples want & thats the case with the younger generation Sheikh's & Sheikha's.

5 children might be many to the Westerners but to the Gulf & Middle East it's a good number of children compared to them having around 8 or 9 or event more.

Guys, please understand that whatever is posted here is publicly accessable to anyone with an internet connection. Also be aware that the Moderators and Administrators have a primary responsibility to young members and their parents who trust us to ensure that the material appearing in the Forums is suitable, age-appropriate and unlikely to offend.

This thread is to discuss "Marriage customs of the Ruling Family". While speculation about other people's sex lives no doubt has great appeal to some members, it's not a subject that's appropriate for this or any Dubai thread.

Please don't do it.

Thanks for everyone's understanding and cooperation.

Warren

TRF Administrator

Last edited:
Ummmm, back to the topic of Marriage Customs of the Ruling Family. . . .

The marriages of Sheikh Mohammed's sons, particularly his oldest and most well known sons, have implications that go way beyond just whether the two young people involved are in love or are 'just' obeying the family decision. Or possibly both. Obviously, who the women are that the sons marry will set a strong example and send a clear message which cannot help but be very significant culturally.

In recent years, a great deal of study has been done across the Middle East (and indeed many parts of the entire world) regarding the issue of consanguinity (marriage to a person with at least 12.5% same genes as you have) and the occurance of genetic disorders which this ancient custom of close family marriages unfortunately encourages. There is a wealth of information on-line on the subject. In areas where the entire 'group' population is relatively small, problems can increase rapidly. So, what science would say is 'get your genetic screening and find someone who is compatible with you genetically as well as otherwise.' Also - avoid the heartbreak of having a child, possibly more than one, who may either suffer from a genetically predisposed malady and die, or simply die of unknown causes.

That is what science would say, but ancient custom does not so easily change all at once. There is a strong preference in the Emirates that Emiratees, particularly Royal ones, marry other Emiratees. It is pervasive throughout the culture. (Imagine the uproar if Prince William decided he was in love with and wanted to marry an American girl.) A recent statistic (meaning taken within the last 4 - 6 years) showed that first cousin marriages were a full 25% of all marriages in Dubai over a relatively recent time period. It is an old custom and it has many familial, social and cultural benefits. But science would say that it would be beneficial for the overall health and wellbeing of the entire Emiratee population to include and welcome at least some quite different blood.

So there is no reason to rush into finding marriage partners for Sheikhs Rashid and Hamdan unless they themselves are interested in marrying soon. They are still really quite young for marriage - another 4 - 6 years wouldn't be too much. As I admire the process of deliberation and consensus that the Emiratee leadership so continually uses, I certainly imagine that this issue is one that does not require any immediate haste.

Last edited:
Does some of you know if it happens often or rarely to call off an engagement in the ruling family?

explain why...otherwise this is just another "nope-sayer" and I dislike it when people just say "no" or "I don`t like it" without giving a reasonable,logical argument for doing so or another possible solution
I did at the time and Warren edited it out. So I am assuming that repeating it would annoy W unneccesarily.

Does some of you know if it happens often or rarely to call off an engagement in the ruling family?

I am quite sure you are refering to Sheikh Hamdan??? :whistling:

Today, 25.12.2010 seen on facebook:
"we are all wondering if Hamdan is still engaged, has never been or if it is off? could you kindly tell us!? a lot of girls would like to know if it is still worth to wait for him :)"

"Maryam bint Mohammad bin Rashed Al Maktoum (Official Page) hahaha, Hamdan is engaged to his cousin Sheikha. They've been engaged for a few years (i think). There are no plans so far for the wedding but I'll tell you for sure when something happens."

The site is run not by Maryam herself, but by a friend. I am just wondering why in Dubai you do not hear or see anything from this relation!?!? And on facebook they tell you straigth on...!?

sheikh hamdan must be really happy about so many girls care about him and romantic maybe never a difficult thing for him:ROFLMAO:

You can be sure about that! :)
Let's just hope that he is or will be with a girl he really loves!

anea18 facebook isnt realy maryam other a friend is a fan for maryam.sh-rashid website wrote is a fake isnt maryam

anea18 facebook isnt realy maryam other a friend is a fan for maryam.sh-rashid website wrote is a fake isnt maryam

Ohhh, so this fan gives a lot of time for updating this website. Must be a really BIG BIG fan!

I am quite sure you are refering to Sheikh Hamdan??? :whistling:

Today, 25.12.2010 seen on facebook:
"we are all wondering if Hamdan is still engaged, has never been or if it is off? could you kindly tell us!? a lot of girls would like to know if it is still worth to wait for him :)"

"Maryam bint Mohammad bin Rashed Al Maktoum (Official Page) hahaha, Hamdan is engaged to his cousin Sheikha. They've been engaged for a few years (i think). There are no plans so far for the wedding but I'll tell you for sure when something happens."

The site is run not by Maryam herself, but by a friend. I am just wondering why in Dubai you do not hear or see anything from this relation!?!? And on facebook they tell you straigth on...!?

It's totally bothering when some people do post wrong infos to the net affirming it's true altough there is no relation to the "original people"... :bang:

So thanks anea18 you've done a good job :flowers:

I did at the time and Warren edited it out. So I am assuming that repeating it would annoy W unneccesarily.
Refers to post #165
No, you did not explain anything. Your original content is untouched and unchanged and reads "I find this wrong on several levels." Full stop.
The edit was simply to remove the quote of blauerengel's post which, since it immediately preceded your post, didn't require repetition.

5-What did the family of Nasser say about engagement? they said no first cause they were both small then he said he wont study aboard only if he is goin to get engagged to her

i know this is really old but where did you get this information from? are you sure about it? cause this sounds like he really must have wanted her.... but there are also people who say that this marriage was arranged because the families have a good relationship and the marriage would make this stronger...

Back
Top Bottom