Least Favourite Royal Wedding Dress

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes indeed, maybe it is the brides going out on their own rather than following professional advice...i recall lady Helen Taylor saying she wanted a column style wedding dress but Catherine Walker strongly advised her against it and in the end Lady Helen was happy she had listened to Catherine.

Btw, my least favourite dress is Mabels...although she looked so happy, all the smiles cannot take away all the bows...

eireann said:
Btw, my least favourite dress is Mabels...although she looked so happy, all the smiles cannot take away all the bows...

I agree! She looked like a quilt for a little girl's bed.

Little Star Please explain why you find it so strange that so many Arab women insist on wearing white dresses. What colour do you think they should wear??? Very curious. :confused:

Little_star said:
I didn't think much of Rania's dress, but then I always find it strange that so many Arab women will insist on wearing a white dress.
Mary's dress was quite bland as was Mette-Marit's and Sophie wessex.
Letizia hd a lovely dress and Camilla looked spectacular when you factor in her age and stuff.

Countess Gloria von Schoenburg-Glauchau marrying Prince Johannes von Thurn and Taxis in 1981:

hochzeit.jpg

I know it was the eighties, but....:eek:

ladybelline said:
Countess Gloria von Schoenburg-Glauchau marrying Prince Johannes von Thurn and Taxis in 1981:

I know it was the eighties, but....:eek:

To me it looks like we are in the beginning of the 1900 with that dress she is wearing.;) ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
"Little Star Please explain why you find it so strange that so many Arab women insist on wearing white dresses. What colour do you think they should wear??? Very curious."

Well it's just that some Arab countries have such beautiful styles of dress like kaftans and yet women will insist on wearing the most boring colour possible on their special day.

Yes Little Star I agree with you that the kaftans are more beautiful. But I think that the Northern Middle East (which includes Jordan) are the only places where the brides wear the white gown. In the gulf countries and if you notice Morocco they wear a more traditional beautiful kaftan. :)

Little_star said:
"Little Star Please explain why you find it so strange that so many Arab women insist on wearing white dresses. What colour do you think they should wear??? Very curious."

Well it's just that some Arab countries have such beautiful styles of dress like kaftans and yet women will insist on wearing the most boring colour possible on their special day.

"Yes Little Star I agree with you that the kaftans are more beautiful. But I think that the Northern Middle East (which includes Jordan) are the only places where the brides wear the white gown. In the gulf countries and if you notice Morocco they wear a more traditional beautiful kaftan. :) "

The Gulf countries are more traditional generally, but I know plenty of Egyptian, Tunisian, Syrian and Libyan women who have all worn White.

I think that Arab and Hindu brides look really regal in their national costumes!!!!!

Queen Noor 's wedding dress was terribly ugly. It looked like a night gown and not like a wedding dress.

Attachments

• wed.JPG
    wed.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 577
  • 11533561noor_and_hus_wed.JPG
    11533561noor_and_hus_wed.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 546
  • 78 wed.JPG
    78 wed.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 399
  • hussein in his wedding with lisa halaby(queen noor al hussein).JPG
    hussein in his wedding with lisa halaby(queen noor al hussein).JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 1,164
  • Wedding_5.jpg
    Wedding_5.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 344
Last edited:
Serena Lindley's dress was not attractive. The satin overcoat was too tailored for the tulle underskirt. Very ugly.

And Sarah Armstrong's dress was not a favorite, either, with that stiff looking pointed waist band. It looked extremely uncomfortable.

Serena Linley hair was also in bad taste, but I think she looked a lot like her mother in law on her wedding day(same hair and dress style) but not as pretty though.

Dear Hania, When you say that serena's dress was in bad taste do you really think she was trying to cause offence or do you just think the style was not very nice? She actually choose that dress as a tribute to Princess Margaret's own wedding dress.I think part of the problem was that Margaret's dress was the epitome of the 1960's and that style looked odd in the 1990's.

A previous poster noted somewhat wistfully that royal brides don't wear daring gowns, saying Infanta Cristina's and Claire's gowns which showed the tops of their shoulders were about as daring as they get. However, I heard that many churches don't allow bare shoulders. Which is also why so many of the female guests at royal weddings wear jackets in the church, and then get rid of the jacket for the reception (for example, Maxima and Cristina at the Denmark royal wedding).

I also think women tend to dress more conservatively for weddings, which are ceremonies of tradition and solemnity (Britney Spears excepted of course!), and usually in a church/synagogue/temple.

cute_girl said:
I agree,her dress is among the worst wedding dresses i've seen,but maybe it looked good and fashionable in first 80's.

I think that most people here are comparing Diana's dress with dresses of the recent brides like Mathilde, Maxima, Mary, Letizia and Claire.

Diana got married more than 20 years ago so of course fashion was different. In the 80s dresses like the one Diana wore were quite fashionable and high style. After Diana's wedding, many brides copied Diana's dress for their own weddings.

It may look frumpy and excessive to us now but we are looking at it from a 21st century minimalist eye. You can dislike Diana because it's just not your taste but to say that it was unstylish is untrue. It was the height of fashion for its time.

Diana got married more than 20 years ago so of course fashion was different. In the 80s dresses like the one Diana wore were quite fashionable and high style. After Diana's wedding, many brides copied Diana's dress for their own weddings.
It may look frumpy and excessive to us now but we are looking at it from a 21st century minimalist eye. You can dislike Diana because it's just not your taste but to say that it was unstylish is untrue. It was the height of fashion for its time.

I totally agree with you. Her dress was perfect for that time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I would never wear a wedding dress like Diana's. Too meringue-y. But I would say that the romantic fairytale dress did suit Diana's character and the public's perception. It was this dress that ushered in the return-to-romance look of the 80s from the counter cultural gowns of the 60s and 70s. Some of those 80s and early 90s wedding gowns were truly horrific, so Diana's seems much more refined by comparison. And considering the location was St. Paul's Cathedral, Diana had to have dress that would match and not be drawfed by the grandeur and majesty of the setting.

It was a beautiful dress, but too poufy! (Spelling). But as you stated, it was the 80's and for the scale of St. Paul's Cathedral, it fit (pardon the pun).

Juan Carlos' sisters Pilar and Margarita, most especially Margarita. The dress looked like a nun's habit.

Camilla didn't look good

Since the thread began not about dresses, per se, but about what bride didn't look good on her wedding day, I'd have to say that in my opinion, Camilla didn't look good. Nothing to do with the dress - thought it was ok. The hat was strange, I thought - thought she had straw coming out of her head or that her hair was teased on top till I realized it was part of the hat. But in terms of just not looking good, wedding day or any day, I'd choose Camilla. Sorry - my opinion, and certainly enough have picked on Diana that I feel the need to give equal time to the woman who took her place.

i didn't like her hat as well. it just didn't fit to me. i liked the dress but not the hat.

HH Princess Pilar is wearing a beautiful tiara though. the dress isnt so bad for the decade.

in regards to diana's wedding gown, i think it look good for 80's style. big n puffy was in and im sure a lot of us didnt look in our 80's style of dress. im know i didnt

Oh my god, could u believe that Claire wore this for her civil ceremony,i mean her wedding dress was fanastc but look at this !!!!

She didn´t wear this to her civil ceremony.The civil ceremony was just before the religious ceremony and so sh wore her wedding dress.

This is only the registration of their wedding...

Oh i am sorry about that,But i still think it was an outfit in poor taste for a marraige related affair where the press was goin to be present

prinses_cristina_2.jpg

u have to see this picture, i think it is one of the dutch prince, shame she looks so different!!!

Aw! Don't be so harsh on Princess Cristina of the Netherlands. She was born basically blind, so her dress had to be very simple so she wouldn't trip over it.

Back
Top Bottom