King Juan Carlos - Fiscal Investigations, Inheritance and Exile : 2018-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Considering the emeritus kings have been a couple in name only for several decades I am not quite sure how Sofia needs to be involved. As much of JC's money issues somehow have Corinna Larsen in the middle of it, I doubt the Queen Emerita would be involved. How are her own finances 'somewhat sketchy'? I do not recall having read anything about it but I may have missed it of course.

Considering the emeritus kings have been a couple in name only for several decades I am not quite sure how Sofia needs to be involved. As much of JC's money issues somehow have Corinna Larsen in the middle of it, I doubt the Queen Emerita would be involved. How are her own finances 'somewhat sketchy'? I do not recall having read anything about it but I may have missed it of course.

No, her and JC have not lived together for some time, but that does not change the fact that they did for some time, under those cirumstances you’d know that other person very well for good or ill, which makes me think that Sofia would be totally ignorant of all this somewhat hard to swallow.

Sofia herself has, despite the PR fluff and her humanitarian work, also lead a pretty self indulgent life over the past few decades, one that her relatively meager inheritance, controversial dowry and personal wealth would probably not cover; and under the circumstances, have enough common sense not to use her portion of the SRF’s government funding for.

Has there not always been the implication that as quid pro quo for staying quiet about everything and allowing him a cigarette papers width of plausible deniability, JC would pick up the tab for S’s personal expenses and not threaten her status as Queen and mother of the future king? it has to be said it’s hard to look at it any other way.

I’m also talking about the broader context of improper finances over the past 3-4 decades by the SRF as a whole. She certainly has always seemed very blasé about this kind of financial behavior compared to other things - look at how she acted over the Noos business. She sued the Greek government over her inheritance back in the 1990s and is clearly not shy of demanding what she sees as owing to her.

Last edited:
Adding to that: Nobody ever said a word about Princess Irene living with Queen Sofia in La Zarzuela what is no private property of the SRF.

Can somebody imagine Letizia's sister moving into their house as a freeloader and the press keeping quiet about it?

Of course Doña Sofía knows/knew about it.

She married a Prince from a Royal House in exile for decades, eating into the private wealth to maintain. Now she herself comes from a Royal House in exile for decades, eating into the private wealth to maintain.

Both Don Juan Carlos and Doña Sofía know from own experience how drastically a situation can change: Doña Sofía's spouse gained a throne, Doña Sofía's brother lost a throne.

Yet the couple has always lived the good life. Doña Sofía's sister lives on the royal compound, is accomodated, secured, transported, given facilitary assistance, etc. all for the purse of the Spanish taxpayers.

That is all okay, but having experienced these seismic changes in their respective royal lives, it is no wonder that since 1975 the impoverished Spanish royal family wants one thing: security for the unsecure future. One never knows. It is all not very high morale but when one has been in surviving modus as a desposed Royal House, it is understandable that there is a bigger fixation on accumulating wealth it than Don Felipe maybe has (or pretends not to have).

Last edited:
Princess Irene, Queen Letizia's mother, and any other person can live in the Zarzuela palace. This is legal and constitutional.

King Felipe receives an amount of money established in the General State Budget Law, this law is proposed by the government and approved by the Parliament every year.

The amounts destined for the King are from King Felipe, and he can freely dispose of that money.

He is the usufructuary of palace, it means, that the maintenance of the palace is done by the King with that money, he pays his servants, they are not state officials, he paid them , consider appropriate him .... That money belongs to the King, and the King distributes it freely. This is established in the Spanish Constitution:
Article 65
<<1. El Rey recibe de los Presupuestos del Estado una cantidad global para el sostenimiento de su Familia y Casa, y distribuye libremente la misma.

2. El Rey nombra y releva libremente a los miembros civiles y militares de su Casa.>>

This is not you money, this is King Felipe's money and he distributes it, if you don't like what he spends his money on, that's your problem.

The King does not pass his bills on to the Spanish people as you affirm, in Spain it does not work that way. He receives his allocation from the general state budget, and he freely disposes of it, he can live as he wants and with whatever he wants, as long as he pays it from his budgetary allocation.

All the presidents of the government of Spain, have lived in the Moncloa palace with their relatives, Sánchez is living with his in-laws, his wife and in-laws left the palace to avoid infecting the President of the government with the coronavirus, Rajoy lived with in the Moncloa palace with his wife, children, and his father, who was very ill and cared for in palace, Zapatero remembered that he lived with his wife, and his in-laws, and Aznar lived in Moncloa with his parents and his children, Felipe Gonzalez, brought his parents into the palace, and Adolfo Suarez. ..... And that is not only unique, the houses for ministers also allow them to live with their families. In Spain it is legal.

Princess Irene has an international solidarity foundation, which has its headquarters in Madrid, most of the businessmen who donate and collaborate in the projects of this foundation are foreigners(no spanish), this foundation has important international solidarity projects open, and at the having its headquarters in Spain, computes like spanish. The Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs thanked the foundation for its collaboration in managing projects to help Syrian refugee children.

You are seriously accusing King Felipe, his mother, and his sisters, of these events in order to defend King Juan Carlos or to attack the entire institution.

King Juan Carlos was a member of a Foundation in Switzerland, in this foundation money from Arab countries , entered without justification, this is not a crime in Switzerland, but, later that money was transferred as a donation, by the foundation to a bank account in the foreigner of Corinna, she was lover of King Juan Carlos. This is what the judge investigates this lady, because the money did not stay in Switzerland, it went to the bank accounts of this woman. She is involved in legal proceedings.

A year ago, Corinna's lawyers sent a letter to King Felipe, informing him that his father was the owner of that foundation, and that he had been named beneficiary in the documents.

King Felipe, became aware through this letter from this foundation, and went to a notary to certify the content of the letter, it was then that he renounced the inheritance in writing from his father. He brought it to the attention of the Spanish authorities. King Felipe did not know anything about this foundation, it was a year ago when in a letter from Corinna's lawyers they informed him of the existence of the foundation.

The letter is quite clear, Corinna knew that King Felipe was unaware of his father's activities, so she and her lawers send him. The letter whose content is clear.

King Juan Carlos bought residences, transferred money to his lovers, at no time did he transfer or buy anything, his son, his wife or his daughters.

When it would be published that he made transfers in favor of his son, his wife and his daughters , please you could publish it,it would be surprise...the money of this foundation was for his lover. In Spain , the lovers are not members of the Royal Family.

King Juan Carlos has enjoyed, as previously said, the approval of the press, he has had very well-paid lovers.

King Felipe is doing a great job, it is not fair, that those who consider loyal defenders of King Juan Carlos, they defend King Juan Carlos imputing to King Felipe all the illegal acts that Juan carlos has committed with his lovers.

King Juan Carlos and his lovers know what they have done or were doing.

Is a son guilty of what his father and his lover do? Is a son forced to know what his father does, and his lover?

Last edited:
Princess Irene, Queen Letizia's mother, and any other person can live in the Zarzuela palace. This is legal and constitutional.

King Felipe receives an amount of money established in the General State Budget Law, this law is proposed by the government and approved by the Parliament every year.

The amounts destined for the King are from King Felipe, and he can freely dispose of that money.

He is the usufructuary of palace, it means, that the maintenance of the palace is done by the King with that money, he pays his servants, they are not state officials, he paid them , consider appropriate him .... That money belongs to the King, and the King distributes it freely. This is established in the Spanish Constitution:
Article 65
<<1. El Rey recibe de los Presupuestos del Estado una cantidad global para el sostenimiento de su Familia y Casa, y distribuye libremente la misma.

2. El Rey nombra y releva libremente a los miembros civiles y militares de su Casa.>>

This is not you money, this is King Felipe's money and he distributes it, if you don't like what he spends his money on, that's your problem.

The King does not pass his bills on to the Spanish people as you affirm, in Spain it does not work that way. He receives his allocation from the general state budget, and he freely disposes of it, he can live as he wants and with whatever he wants, as long as he pays it from his budgetary allocation

Point taken. Still remember how surprised some folks were when it came out that Prince Charles had been letting Camilla’s aged father Maj. Shand be cared for with them in Clarence House.

All the presidents of the government of Spain, have lived in the Moncloa palace with their relatives, Sánchez is living with his in-laws, his wife and in-laws left the palace to avoid infecting the President of the government with the coronavirus, Rajoy lived with in the Moncloa palace with his wife, children, and his father, who was very ill and cared for in palace, Zapatero remembered that he lived with his wife, and his in-laws, and Aznar lived in Moncloa with his parents and his children, Felipe Gonzalez, brought his parents into the palace, and Adolfo Suarez. ..... And that is not only unique, the houses for ministers also allow them to live with their families. In Spain it is legal.

Point also taken, but adult siblings and healthy parents who are able to take care of them selves are not the same as elderly parents, spouses, and children.

Princess Irene has an international solidarity foundation, which has its headquarters in Madrid, most of the businessmen who donate and collaborate in the projects of this foundation are foreigners(no spanish), this foundation has important international solidarity projects open, and at the having its headquarters in Spain, computes like spanish. The Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs thanked the foundation for its collaboration in managing projects to help Syrian refugee children.

That’s admirable. Still doesn’t change the fact that she was living in Spanish state property on taxpayer money that she was not entitled to.

You are seriously accusing King Felipe, his mother, and his sisters, of these events in order to defend King Juan Carlos or to attack the entire institution.

Given that Juan Carlos has a long history of using money to control those around him, and buy their affections, loyalty, and silence, its not an accusation - its a legitimate question of how much the immediate family all of whom depended on JC for their wealth And lifestyles knew about these activities.

I’m not Spanish and don’t have a dog in this fight, but i believe that the people of Spain deserve to know the truth. The RF are only making things worse for themselves by the lies and cover ups. They’re doing a good job of attacking themselves, they don’t need somebody like me to do that for them.

King Juan Carlos was a member of a Foundation in Switzerland, in this foundation money from Arab countries , entered without justification, this is not a crime in Switzerland, but, later that money was transferred as a donation, by the foundation to a bank account in the foreigner of Corinna, she was lover of King Juan Carlos. This is what the judge investigates this lady, because the money did not stay in Switzerland, it went to the bank accounts of this woman. She is involved in legal proceedings.

A year ago, Corinna's lawyers sent a letter to King Felipe, informing him that his father was the owner of that foundation, and that he had been named beneficiary in the documents.

King Felipe, became aware through this letter from this foundation, and went to a notary to certify the content of the letter, it was then that he renounced the inheritance in writing from his father. He brought it to the attention of the Spanish authorities. King Felipe did not know anything about this foundation, it was a year ago when in a letter from Corinna's lawyers they informed him of the existence of the foundation.

The letter is quite clear, Corinna knew that King Felipe was unaware of his father's activities, so she and her lawers send him. The letter whose content is clear.

That’s what she says. From what I’ve heard these kind of undeclared accounts are still technically tax evasion in Spain. Also, don’t you think that Felipe would have put 2 and 2 together on his own about his possible inherence by now?

King Juan Carlos bought residences, transferred money to his lovers, at no time did he transfer or buy anything, his son, his wife or his daughters.

When it would be published that he made transfers in favor of his son, his wife and his daughters , please you could publish it,it would be surprise...the money of this foundation was for his lover. In Spain , the lovers are not members of the Royal Family.

King Juan Carlos has enjoyed, as previously said, the approval of the press, he has had very well-paid lovers.

I recall that there are reports of JC buying or building a pretty large property for F during his Batchelor days. Didn’t he also chip into Christina’s property as well?

Hasn’t One of Sofia’s many marital gripes been that JC was trying to buy the affections of their children as to isolate her within the family?

It’s pretty much fact that he tried to keep Letizia on a short financial leash because he didn’t like her.

The point I’m trying to make is the fact that the whole family have been financially dependent on JC to one extent or another - the fact that he’s given money out to others doesn’t change the fact that members of the RF have probably been taking his dirty money as well.

King Felipe is doing a great job, it is not fair, that those who consider loyal defenders of King Juan Carlos, they defend King Juan Carlos imputing to King Felipe all the illegal acts that Juan carlos has committed with his lovers.

King Juan Carlos and his lovers know what they have done or were doing.

I’m not going to go into Felipes performance as King - that’s for another thread - but i want to spell out that i am not Defending Juan Carlos. Trying to understand someone on their own terms is not the same thing as defending them, nor is asking how their relationships with those around them affect their behavior, or the actions of other people.

I’m interested in knowing where this all came from and how this fits into the dynamics of the family - that is not the same thing as ‘impugning’ somebody.

All the facts i have pointed out above are valid points to consider and the question of the involvement of F, his mother and sisters in this is a perfectly acceptable line of questioning. I could be wrong and JC simply could just be a bad apple but given how these things work I strongly suspect not.

Is a son guilty of what his father and his lover do? Is a son forced to know what his father does, and his lover?

If what the father did was in the name of an institution that the son was set to inherit and the actions were ostensibly taken in the son’s name, than its acceptable to ask and examine the sons possible knowledge and role iN these actions. That’s not the same as guilt.

So what’s the chance of this actually amounting to something? Part of me suspects its mostly damage control on account of the international dimension; and that the investigation is mostly to come up with an excuse not to dig any deeper.

First, make excuses for my poor English grammar. I hope that everything I want to say is understood, and if not, I apologize in advance.
Felipe has had his assignment as prince of Asturias, so he has not benefited in any way from the business that his father might have, and above all, if we consider that for many years, Juan Carlos went from lover to lover and that in them it does seem that the money from those businesses was being spent.
Felipe has NEVER had a life of luxury.When Felipe married, the marriage lived on the assignment of Felipe since nothing was granted to the princess. That money went to Juan Carlos's lover-s.
The princes, now king and queen, do not have summer mansions outside the country, they have not done expensive remodeling of their homes ... In fact when they got married, Princess Letizia said "everything is fine" ... because they never wanted live in luxury. Good, but without excesses. They travel in a particular way to destinations where anyone who travels can go. They do not hide in mansions of friends or rent mansions. Felipe and Letizia were the ones that used the yacht "Fortuna" the least, and the Somni boat.
Princess Letizia visited very little expensive brand during her princess years and only when she became queen, could she spend any more on her wardrobe.
In fact, Felipe and Letizia have saved from the scarce budget they have, two consecutive years: 2018 and 2019 and it was made public.
I know of no other royal couple who have "saved" from such a tight budget.
Felipe and Letizia distanced themselves from Cristina and Iñaki precisely because of the luxurious life
It has been said that Felipe and Letizia had no contact with Juan Carlos except as necessary and in fact we have not seen almost photos with their granddaughters, Leonor and Sofía.
Everything indicates that Felipe if he suspected something, certainly did not agree, and did not benefit at all.
I think there is a previous inheritance from Don Juan, Count of Barcelona, to which Felipe does have the right and should not resign. I imagine that what he renounces is the money that his lover, Corinna, managed and controlled.

In Spain we know that Felipe is honest; He has a fairly simple life compared to other royalty, and has been that way forever.
Trying to mix it up in their father's affairs is a lost mission, because nobody can force a father to be honest, is it? Are the children of Urdangarín to blame for what their father did?
I think it is better to wonder if Sofia knew about her husband's business or simply took the money without asking, because Sofia has traveled all the time, has bought jewelry, has lived in London and Greece ... as long as she has wanted. .. Sofia has not led an austere life.
But trying to mix Felipe in this matter is a bit of a laugh. It is my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
That suggests JC’s secret funds went far beyond the Saudi money that alleged was transferred to Corinna. Moreover, it is clear that Felipe was indeed the beneficiary of the Bahrain account held through the Panamanian foundation. Call me skeptic, but it is hard to believe Felipe knew nothing about it.

This accusation is very serious. It is not about saying that you like one person more than another ... You are accusing of complicity in a crime and I find it horrible.: eek:: eek:: eek:: eek:

Some more articles with further details of the allegations around the ex king:

https://www.web24.news/u/2020/06/th...os-secured-a-fixed-2-on-the-ave-to-mecca.html

https://english.elpais.com/spanish_...pains-emeritus-king-over-kickback-scheme.html

https://www.web24.news/u/2020/05/th...etween-isolation-and-a-catastrophic-year.html

There’s also been some less than reliable reports about JC planning to hide out in the Dominican Republic to avoid criminal charges. Sounds far fetched but nonetheless I would not put it past the old boy.

King Juan Carlos cannot be investigated by parliament, because it is the legislature power, he can only be investigated by judges. Podemos, they know of this but it is a political party of republican. The Prosecutor of Spain, is investigating to King Juan carlos by a possible delict of tax fraud, for having accounts abroad and not having it declared in the Spanish public treasury, from 2014 to the present day, because from 2006 to 2014, he was Head of State and he was immune, it is a prerogation of Constitution. However of this investigation by the prosecution, it is presumed that Prosecution will have to call King Juan Carlos to take a statement of the alleged tax crimes, of it, the justice could open a new cause againt Corinna .
Many Spaniards who think that Corinna is looking for a way to avoid having to answer for the Spanish justice. This investigation of tax fraud against the King is the door to investigate King Juan Carlos' lover
and King Juan Carlos by their business. It was obvious that she is also worried.

Last edited:
I don't believe King Juan Carlos is going to live outside Spain or something like being arrested. He must pay a fine or at most give the money to the state.
Obviously, the government at the time knew what was going on, so the main political parties didn't even want this investigation.
This process should be filed soon and then will be forgotten.
Corina may have problems, as she helps King Juan Carlos hide the money and knew everything. Who knows what this woman hides and what shady business she had/has with other people. She thinks she's very smart.

Breaking News: PSOE, PP and Vox have rejected at the of Congress the commission of inquiry on the actions of Juan Carlos I after his abdication requested by Unidas Podemos and other formations, such as ERC, JxCat or Más País. They say that the inviolability of the emeritus king is permanent.

https://elpais.com/espana/2020-06-1...whVrgdSaSlZ7GupNhkYER0cCkM#Echobox=1592302701

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.elmundo.es/espana/2020/06/21/5eef546821efa0f05c8b4648.html

the telegraph reported that Josep Cusí, racing partner of JC, paid more than half of the honeymoon trip that Don Juan Carlos gave F&L and that took them to Cambodia, Samoa, Mexico, Fiji Islands, USA (including California). the businessman paid $ 269,000 (240,000 euros at the current exchange rate) of the total of 467,500 (418,000 euros).

:previous:
Felipe and Letizia got married 16 years ago, why are they revealing it now? Who is behind this attempt to tarnish the monarchy and the present Kings of Spain?
This is all very strange and I even have my suspicions about who might be behind this.
It's very sad....

:previous:
Felipe and Letizia got married 16 years ago, why are they revealing it now? Who is behind this attempt to tarnish the monarchy and the present Kings of Spain?
This is all very strange and I even have my suspicions about who might be behind this.
It's very sad....

what is your view on this Blog Real?

my thinking is that this is part of the ongoing instruction/investigation of JC's corruption allegations, so it is getting reported as info becomes available.

Juan Carlos met Corinna in February 2014, at that time she worked in a company that was dedicated to organizing luxury hunts around the world ... he decided to hire Corinna to organize the Prince of Asturias' honeymoon, which was his gift. She probably took a good amount of money for organizing it, but that does not leak to the press.

Corinna has legal problems because of her financial affairs with Juan Carlos, she tried to get the Royal House to stop the investigations about her ... but since they have not done so, she continues to leak information to the press that may somehow involve Felipe.

In Spain, Podemos and the independentists (the British journalist who publishes this information is known for his tweets supporting these groups), use this information in their campaign against the Crown.

Juan Carlos met Corinna in February 2014, at that time she worked in a company that was dedicated to organizing luxury hunts around the world ... he decided to hire Corinna to organize the Prince of Asturias' honeymoon, which was his gift. She probably took a good amount of money for organizing it, but that does not leak to the press.

Corinna has legal problems because of her financial affairs with Juan Carlos, she tried to get the Royal House to stop the investigations about her ... but since they have not done so, she continues to leak information to the press that may somehow involve Felipe.

In Spain, Podemos and the independentists (the British journalist who publishes this information is known for his tweets supporting these groups), use this information in their campaign against the Crown.

Exactly. This is all a campaign to discredit the crown. How do you think this situation is going to end?

You mean the couple met in 2004, not 2014.

What is known and is undisputed is that since Juan Carlos and Corinna got involved there has been some shady, illegal, and illegitimate financial transactions.

It is only in just the past few years that the King's shady business dealings have come to light. It is not surprising for people to wonder or inquire who else has benefitted from that- and that includes the Felipe and Letizia.
They too could have very well benefitted (let's hope unknowingly) from Juan Carlo's dealings. It is an honest question given light of the inquiries.

Juan Carlos and his relationship with money has always been complicated.

He was a king who came from a family in exile, with few resources to be a Royal Family and that when his reign began he had a very doubtful future.
Their financial endowment from the State has never been large and they do not have a large patrimony (all the patrimony of their ancestors belongs to the State). So it is normal that he has been concerned with accumulating a certain fortune.

On the other hand, I think that in a way, Juan Carlos could not have made many of his economic movements, if the successive governments had not looked the other way ... because probably everyone, politicians and businessmen, were also interested.

Nor does the attitude of Juan Carlos seem very different from that of other royal families, who frequently accept gifts or invitations from businessmen.

This is true that the economic endowment of King Juan Carlos is low, compared to other monarchies. But, he can perfectly do business, it is legal, he can have a personal fortune. He can invest in the stock market, be a shareholder, business owner ... What's more, he has an administrator of his fortune. For me, it is normal that he has made a private fortune, it is not illegal. He has had a relationship with Spanish businessmen, and he could perfectly have done business or investments in these companies, this is totally legal. It is logical that he has increased his fortune, because he has met important entrepreneurs, and this has given him the possibility of investing his fortune. The king is free to invest his money.

The important thing: Corinna is being investigated in London, and in Switzerland where she has an open case in justice, she is even investigated by Spain, for having created an alleged business , I do not know exactly what is the word in English, It would be that she has favored taking money from important Arab, even Spanish, businessmen to tax havens.

She defends herself by trying to say that this is not true, and for this she tries to justify that the money she received was legal. How? saying that King Juan Carlos donated it legally through an account he had in Switzerland.

In Spain this bank account is being investigated, because it was not declarated in Spain. Saying that the money came from commissions charged to the Saudi King of Arabia for public works awards in favor of Spanish companies, is an accusation that has been launched by Corinna, the Spanish Supreme Court itself, says that Corinna's claims are not valid because she was the King's mistress (and we all know that she aspired to be queen of Spain), the King left her, because of the scandal that was created in Spain when it was discovered that she was his lover, and she acts in a vengeful way by it. Her testimony has no probative value of the facts. She has not provided any evidence on her claims.

It does not seem correct to me that this is trying to put under suspicion everything that King Juan Carlos has done, her investments, the entrepreneurs with whom he has done business, none of this is illegal.

I believe that King Juan Carlos is being the victim of a lynching of the media. He can have business, and he can have a private fortune. This is legal. What is being investigated in a specific case that goes from 2006 to almost today, and is that bank account in Switzerland.

And this swiss bank account may probably no longer exist.
Corinna's having a vengeful attitude. She took advantage of the King to make money and now wants to ruin his life.

Juan Carlos is a man of the past and his dealings reflect what was perfectly normal at the time. Of course today, most of those dealings would be labelled shady or even criminal/illegal. Makes sense that both main parties don't want to support any investigation, Juan Carlos companions along the years will have been involved or done the same.

They had a country to build up and of course you don't do that for free at the end.

But it's a perfect topic to annoy the man of the future, Felipe because the topic has the potential to drag on for years, especially when Juan Carlos passes.
By the way, Corinna was also 'hired' to find Inaki a job and she offered him a post at Laureus organisation, but Inaki thought it was not paid well enough.
They all posed at 2006 Barcelona Laureus awards:
https://www.alamy.de/stockfoto-date...-februar-2017-verurteilt-wurde-134030145.html

Last edited:
Last edited:
""

Juan Carlos is a man of the past and his dealings reflect what was perfectly normal at the time. Of course today, most of those dealings would be labelled shady or even criminal/illegal. Makes sense that both main parties don't want to support any investigation, Juan Carlos companions along the years will have been involved or done the same.

They had a country to build up and of course you don't do that for free at the end.

But it's a perfect topic to annoy the man of the future, Felipe because the topic has the potential to drag on for years, especially when Juan Carlos passes.
By the way, Corinna was also 'hired' to find Inaki a job and she offered him a post at Laureus organisation, but Inaki thought it was not paid well enough.
They all posed at 2006 Barcelona Laureus awards:
https://www.alamy.de/stockfoto-date...-februar-2017-verurteilt-wurde-134030145.html

You make several different points and, since I am not following the case closely, I cannot really comment in any substantive way, but allow me to raise only a few issues for discussion.

1. Accepting kickbacks (i.e. bribes) from companies or foreign nations to give them some unfair advantage is not "perfectly normal", not now and not "at the time", much less for a Head of State and a King. Neither is "perfectly normal" to set up secret (undeclared) accounts with the specific intention to evade taxes which would otherwise be due for residents of a particular country. I am not saying that JC did any of those things, as that has not been conclusively proven IMHO, but, if he did, again it was not nomal (and, furthermore, I doubt that Felipe, as the beneficiary of those overseas accounts or at least the one in Panama, didn't know anything about it as he claims).
  2. Nothing of what JC allegedly did in this case had anything to do with what he "had to do" to "rebuild the country". All of those allegations refer to private benefits for himself, his lover and his family (including his son) and have no connection with the welfare of Spain.
  3. The allegations notwithstanding, it is undeniable that JC played a major role in rebuilding Spain post Franco and, especially, in rebuilding the Spanish monarchy which, in my most humble opinion, is the ideal model of monarchy for the 21st century, i.e. a perfect blend/balance of historical tradition/institutions and modern constititutional elements (not only with respect to the Royal House properly, but also to the nobility and the broader honors system). In that sense, I think JC will always be one of the most important historic figures of Spain or even Western Europe in the late 20th century, regardless of his private and possibly shady businesses.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom