King Albert II Forming a New Goverment, 2007-2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully Mr.Elio Di Rupo will succeed in forming a more stable government.

Renata4711 said:
I've just found Elio di Rupo's blog and his Wikipedia article:

Le blog d’Elio

Elio Di Rupo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interesting CV...

Where I live, the political goings-on within Belgium are hardly ever reported about. I am asking - is most of that country's political upheaval due to a rift between Belgium's Flemish-speaking people and French-speaking people? Within what political and/or power of authority does Belgium's monarch operate? Or is HM King Albert II only a ceremonial head of state?
Also, what exactly is HRH Prince Laurent's reason for being a 'persona non grata' in Belgium's royal circles, or had PL's troubles occurred some time back?

Is this a record ???

It's exactly one year since the Belgian Government was in abeyance....

Quo vadis, Belgia ??

Is this a record ???

It's exactly one year since the Belgian Government was in abeyance....

Quo vadis, Belgia ??

Yes, Belgium has this record since few months already, and this June 13th is one year exacly from 2010 elections!!!

On June 30th, Elio di Rupo, the "Formateur", was received in audience by King Albert.
Di Rupo delivered the third intermediary report.

Newsflash from "Le Soir": *Le Roi qualifie la situation politique de "grave"..*

Elio di Rupo, the Formateur, has asked the King to be removed from his job. However the King is leaving his decision in abeyance, and he describes the situation as "serious".

This time, the Flemish-speaking Nationalists have "thrown the toys out of the pram".

One commentator, Beatrice Delvaux, sums it up: "Ceci n'est plus un pays". (This is not a country anymore)

actu - lesoir.be

http://www.lesoir.be/debats/editos/2011-07-08/ceci-n-est-plus-un-pays-849745.php

Last edited:
I truly pity the King and all the politicians who love their country. How sad it is not to be able to form a government, even if coalition governments are often frail. I am not that optimist on the chances for prince Philippe to become king one day.

Not having a government can also be a good thing !! Elio Di Rupo has shown that. IMO it also gives the various parties something to think about...

Well, some parties jump to the conclusion that the current situation is the proof that Belgium is an artificial country and should be divided. They didn't change their analysis with the crisis.

IMO, for an "artificial" country, Belgium has managed reasonably well through all the decades and centuries.

My Dad was in the Belgian Army as a civilian, and, as a child I thought Belgium (especially the coast) was "the bees' knees" :)
Okay, so we lived through the burning university campuses, but, compared to that, the current situation is a doddle !

I suspect that Belgium will have something to teach other European (and other) nations on "How to run a country without even trying".

Yesterday was the 400th day without a government, and it was Elio di Rupo's 60th birthday....

And the 21st is Belgium's National Day....

Elio has to arrive at the Palace soon...

We all are expecting what HM the King will say to-morrow . It will be a sad national day
for Belgium and the RF. (the last has to be confirmed to morrow)

What will King Albert say tomorrow? Is Belgium about to be split into two states?

Last edited:
Will it be an "extra" speech or a National Day Eve's speech?

Belgium won't be split into two ..... if anything, it might be a four way split :))

So the split is within the realms of possibility.

Last edited:
Discussions are still underway, but there were one or two glimpses of hope...

However, while the political wrangling is underway, the ultra-right French politician Marine Le Pen is intervening in the Belgians' problems !

She suggests that, if Flanders wants to become independent, the French Republic would be honoured to "swallow up" Wallonia ....

http://www.lesoir.be/actualite/fran...chement-de-la-wallonie-a-la-france-852254.php

Last edited:
Whilst Elio Di Rupo carries on with his discussions, I've been looking at some of the "vox pop" and forums.

Here's an example - in translation:
"The French-speaking community of Belgium shall from now on be called the Fédération Wallonie-Bruxelles....."

...but at the same time, "the Flemish Minister-President wants to keep Bruxelles as a sub-region....."

I'm losing the will to live..... :-(

Hopefully the powers that be will reach an amicable solution.

Well, they have to. I can understand only too well that each of the party-political and linguistic groupings have genuine reasons for their stances.
But there has to come a cut-off point, I think...

Sssssssh .... they're still cogitating, and Elio di Rupo is still Formateur....

...but the Presidents of the eight parties ready to form a government have brought forward the date for their next meeting (and first full meeting) - to August 19th.

Another newsflash from lesoir.be, confirming that Di Rupo will begin talks again with Yves Leterme on the 16th, and three days later with The Eight.

That's very good news, but one can't count one's chickens before they're hatched.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom