Infanta Cristina and Iñaki Urdangarin Announce Separation; Jan. 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They were never very rich, they bought a house and did a reform that was too expensive for their finances, they took a mortgage and paying for that house was one of the reasons why Urdangarín wanted quick money.

Iñaki was a professional athlete and earned a good salary, but as happens with many athletes, once he left the sport, he had to find a new professional path... and his path was not the most successful.

Trying to keep up Royal appearances on the salary of a former Olympian who was past his prime must have been stressful. And if he felt put under pressure by JC or his wife to do so I can understand the resentment if it exists

But that is no reason to publically humiliate your wife and children by parading your new mistress.

I also remember the crude remarks he made via email about Letizia that were uncovered during the NOOS investigation. He has struck me as a man without honor ever since.

Last edited:
Iñaki had many open options, being the King's son-in-law, many companies would have offered him positions where he could have earned a lot of money legally, as Marichalar did, and as his wife did working in an important foundation. But he wanted to do his own business, perhaps for his own satisfaction, ego or ambition. He "disguised" his business as a foundation so that it would be accepted by Zarzuela.

Iñaki had many open options, being the King's son-in-law, many companies would have offered him positions where he could have earned a lot of money legally, as Marichalar did, and as his wife did working in an important foundation. But he wanted to do his own business, perhaps for his own satisfaction, ego or ambition. He "disguised" his business as a foundation so that it would be accepted by Zarzuela.

:previous: He was even offered a job through JC and Corinna a job at the Laureus foundation, earning a lot of money for a retired handballer, but he refused.

it seems that the aim was to get the pictures out in the open, not to make money with them
https://informalia.eleconomista.es/...ublicaran-y-el-problema-no-fue-el-dinero.html

"The seller was not worried about the money but about the guarantee that the material would be published, as soon as possible and to be able to be on the cover."

Last edited:
The press should leave the family alone and stop badgering Cristina's children/nieces and nephews .

It looks like the Spanish press is just harassing any member of the family they can have access to.
That's nothing new. The often criticized British tabloids are mere lambs compared to their Spanish colleagues.

Last edited:
I agree this is absolutely ridiculous. It is a little scary that the Spanish press knows the cars and obviously the routes members of the family take so they can harass them.

What do you think any pressmen do? They watch the Royals, see where they go, follow them and try to speak to them..

:previous: He was even offered a job through JC and Corinna a job at the Laureus foundation, earning a lot of money for a retired handballer, but he refused.

it seems that the aim was to get the pictures out in the open, not to make money with them
https://informalia.eleconomista.es/...ublicaran-y-el-problema-no-fue-el-dinero.html

"The seller was not worried about the money but about the guarantee that the material would be published, as soon as possible and to be able to be on the cover."
WOW. This last sentence was very telling about the situation. If Inaki wanted out, this was a very underhanded way to get there.

I wonder if Infanta Cristina and her children will return to live in Spain or stay in Geneva?

WOW. This last sentence was very telling about the situation. If Inaki wanted out, this was a very underhanded way to get there.

Looking back ..underhanded and cruel seems to encapsulate IU's entire time as a member of the extended Spanish Royal Family,so the manner of his exit is completely in character.

On the one hand, this is a painful and somewhat ugly divorce, very simple.

On the other, could it be a way for Iñaki and Cristina to both have what they want?

He gets free of the SRF after potentially being the fall guy and doing time, and she regains some public sympathy and is no longer infanta non grata…

Iñaki must have seen in the press badgering his son in Barcelona and yet he continues to add fuel to the fire ,what a selfish disgraceful person he is.

On the one hand, this is a painful and somewhat ugly divorce, very simple.

On the other, could it be a way for Iñaki and Cristina to both have what they want?

He gets free of the SRF after potentially being the fall guy and doing time, and she regains some public sympathy and is no longer infanta non grata…
I agree with you about the popularity of the princess.

I agree with you about the popularity of the princess.

I think Cristina will mend fences with her brother after this. She won't get her title back, but she may at least be pictured with him again. And she won't be held in open contempt anymore. She can also move on to someone who will treat her with more respect than Urdangarin. It's not the worst deal... (Most women with cheating husbands don't have such an upside, frankly.)

I wonder if Infanta Cristina and her children will return to live in Spain or stay in Geneva?

Only Irene lives with her in Geneva and I see little reason for her to return given that they didn't return earlier when it would have made sense to make it easier to visit their husband and father.

Pablo lives in Barcelona and Juan apparently in Madrid. I don't know where Miguel is studying (as I suppose that's what he is doing).

Only Irene lives with her in Geneva and I see little reason for her to return given that they didn't return earlier when it would have made sense to make it easier to visit their husband and father.

Pablo lives in Barcelona and Juan apparently in Madrid. I don't know where Miguel is studying (as I suppose that's what he is doing).

Miguel is studying Marine Sciences at the University in Great Britain

"Claire Liebaert, the mother of Iñaki Urdangarin, has spoken her first words after the photographs in which her son appears hand in hand with her co-worker Ainhoa ​​Armentia walking along the Bidar beach in the French Basque Country . Asked if she was aware of the situation, the parent of the former Duke of Palma responded briefly with a "yes, yes, calm down", she told the reporter of the Viva la vida program. She then politely declined to make any further statements by pointing out that "as you will understand, I am not going to make any comment", she ended it at that moment."

https://www.hola.com/actualidad/202...laire-primeras-palabras-tras-las-fotografias/

The Children , Infante Elena her daighter and now his Mother. No respect for the Spanish Press !

The gutter press have no shame no wonder Infanta Pilar would have cross words with them.

I am not so sure. Infanta Elena lives in Spain and has never been charged with or convicted of any crime. Yet, she is never seen next to her brother in any public engagement. Cristina's situation is even more complicated because, although she was technically acquitted of any criminal wrongdoing in the NOOS case and only had to pay a fine, many people in Spain still think she was guilty, and getting a divorce won't change that perception in any significant way in my opinion.

It appears to me that King Felipe VI and even more so Queen Letizia do not want Cristina, and for some unknown reason Elena, anywhere near official public engagements. Legally, under the RD of 1981 which I mentioned before, they are no longer members of the official RF anyway (as they are not "descendants",nor spouses or parents of the reigning King) although they are stilll Infantas and in the line of succession. I don't expect to see either sister in public with the King and the Queen except at royal funerals in Spain, or similar events. Hopefully, the divorce will at least allow Cristina to be with her brother and sister-in-law at private family events.

Last edited:
I am not so sure. Infanta Elena lives in Spain and has never been charged with or convicted of any crime. Yet, she is never seen next to her brother in any public engagement. Cristina's situation is even more complicated because, although she was technically acquitted of any criminal wrongdoing in the NOOS case and only had to pay a fine, many people in Spain still think she was guilty, and getting a divorce won't change that perception in any signifcant way in my opinion.

It appears to me that King Felipe VI and even more so Queen Letizia do not want Cristina, and for some unknown reason Elena, anywhere near official public engagements. Legally, under the RD of 1981 which I mentioned before, they are no longer members of the official RF anyway (as they are not "descendants",nor spouses or parents of the reigning King) although they are stilll Infantas and in the line of succession. I don't expect to see either sister in public with the King and the Queen except at royal funerals in Spain, or similar events. Hopefully, the divorce will at least allow Cristina to be with her brother and sister-in-law at private family events.

Actually Infanta Elena was seen a few times at official Events together with the King and Queen but i think also Queen Sofia particpated in it. But for some reason why also never see pics of her and the King and Queen at private Events.
But then Infanta's Pilar and Margarita also were seldom together with King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia at official Events but sometimes they attended a State Banquet

Actually Infanta Elena was seen a few times at official Events together with the King and Queen but i think also Queen Sofia particpated in it. But for some reason why also never see pics of her and the King and Queen at private Events.
But then Infanta's Pilar and Margarita also were seldom together with King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia at official Events but sometimes they attended a State Banquet

Correct Infanta Elena has had some official engagements since 2014 though they are rare and the late Infanta Pilar also used to represent her brother at times for instance at the Enthronement of Queen Beatrix in 1980.

Ok, that might be true. Elena and her son attended the signing of the organic law giving effect to King Juan Carlos' abdication and Elena also attended King Felipe VI's proclamation, but I think she did so as JC's or Queen Sofia's guest more so than her brother's. As far as I know, she never attended state banquets, official receptions for visiting heads of state, state openings of Parliament, the National Day parade, or Pascua Militar after her brother became King (but neither did Queen Sofia, right?). Infanta Elena was present, I think, at the investiture of Princess Leonor in the order of the Golden Fleece, which King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia, also attended, but I don't think she attended any other investiture ceremony besides Leonor's.

So, yes, she might make occasional official public appearances, but by and large, she has been removed from the royal schedule. Frankly, I don't understand why as, in other countries, it is customary to invite junior royals to state banquets for example.

I am not so sure. Infanta Elena lives in Spain and has never been charged with or convicted of any crime. Yet, she is never seen next to her brother in any public engagement. Cristina's situation is even more complicated because, although she was technically acquitted of any criminal wrongdoing in the NOOS case and only had to pay a fine, many people in Spain still think she was guilty, and getting a divorce won't change that perception in any significant way in my opinion.

I'm not so sure. The most recent event in people's memories is that she has now been publicly wronged and humiliated by Urdangarin, whom she originally chose to defend. If people truly despise Cristina and her past actions, it won’t do much to change that.

But people who are a little less vehemently disposed might rather reasonably feel a bit of sympathy for her. She will never be an esteemed duquesa again, but like I said, once she is free of him, she might go from 'unwanted' to being more tolerated.

When the so-called first comment is "NO COMMENT"...too funny:lol:

Frankly, I don't understand why as, in other countries, it is customary to invite junior royals to state banquets for example.

Perhaps there is a chance that she will invited for a State Banquet when there are incoming State Visit from other monarchies of from the President of Portugal as that where the Sate Banquets Infantas Pilar and Margarita also attended.
But then Infanta Elena also didn't attend them during the last 5+ years of her father's reign.

It's official now. Infanta Cristina and Iñaki announce the end of their marriage

"By mutual agreement, we have decided to interrupt our marriage relationship. Our commitment to our children remains intact. Since it is a private decision, we ask for the utmost respect from all those around us. Cristina de Borbón and Iñaki Urdangarin."
https://www.efe.com/efe/espana/poli...rrumpir-su-relacion-matrimonial/10002-4724240

The first reactions to the announcement of the separation of Infanta Cristina and Iñaki Urdangarin:

Victoria Federica and her boyfriend, Jorge Bárcenas.
https://www.europapress.es/chance/r...municado-infanta-cristina-20220124144655.html

Maria Zurita, child of Infanta Margarita:
"I really appreciate your interest, but you're not going to get anything from me. I thank you from the bottom of my heart, but don't insist on waiting for me because I'm not going to talk now or ever."
https://www.europapress.es/chance/r...io-separacion-matrimonial-20220124152237.html

Infanta Elena.
https://www.europapress.es/chance/r...do-separacion-matrimonial-20220124145806.html

Infanta Cristina will have traveled from Geneva, where she lives, and will have stayed at the Zarzuela Palace for the last few days. It is not known where Infanta Cristina is at this moment.
https://www.europapress.es/chance/r...paracion-inaki-urdangarin-20220124140401.html

Iñaki Urdangarin's first reaction after the announcement of the separation: "I appreciate the interest, but everything has been said. Thank you very much."
https://www.hola.com/actualidad/20220124203365/inaki-urdangarin-primeras-palabras-comunicado/

Ainhoa Armentia remains silent after the statement issued by Iñaki Urdangarin and the Infanta Cristina.
https://www.hola.com/actualidad/20220124203371/ainhoa-armentia-primeras-imagenes-comunicado/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom