Imperial Family of China

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
His Imperial Majesty Emperor Esiquerro (Aisin-Gioro) Pu-Yi

Attachments

• post_16_1040852037.jpg
    post_16_1040852037.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 1,406
His Imperial Majesty Emperor Esiquerro (Aisin-Gioro) Pu-Yi

Attachments

• post_16_1040857490.jpg
    post_16_1040857490.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 1,450
No, the Imperial Family live in JinYuan and ZhangYuan,a personal garden in TianJin.and the Imperial Family are leaved there when Pu-Yi go to ChangChun.The Aisin-Gioro family have many descendants are distributing in BeiJing,ShangHai,TianJin,ShenYang...... but they dose'nt anymore preserving they family name (Aisin-Gioro).they alter Aisin-Gioro become Jing,Zhao,Wen or Luo.

His Imperial Majesty Emperor Esiquerro (Aisin-Gioro Pu-Yi )Xuan-Tong have five wife,but he have not any children.

Originally posted by Poppy@Dec 20th, 2003 - 4:26 am
The Imperial Concubine Xiang (Princess Xiang). She did not like her husband, the Emperor who adored her very much. Once when she was cutting something, the Emperor embraced her from the back. The embrace was so sudden that the Princess accidentally cut the Emperor on the hand. The Emperor was not annoyed but the Empress Dowager was and she quickly ordered the Princess to comit suicide. The Emperor was very much hurt by her death.
Where did you find these data ? It's falsehood .How many history of China are you know. I think you are watching TV more .

Her Imperial Highness Grand-Noble Concubine Yehonala Yi of Xian-Feng

Attachments

• HIM_Dowager_Empress_Yehonala_Ci_Xi.jpg
    HIM_Dowager_Empress_Yehonala_Ci_Xi.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 1,513
I would love to read more about the Chinese Emperial dynasties. I am a quarter chinese (Spanish, Italian, Portugese, and Russian). I am extremely interested in learning more about my heritage.

Great Pictures!!

I remember my mom telling me about a TV series in China called something Red Dream? Does anyone have an idea?

Originally posted by dancingqueen83@Jul 4th, 2004 - 10:25 pm
I remember my mom telling me about a TV series in China called something Red Dream? Does anyone have an idea?
Hi dancingqueen

I think the TV series you are talking about is "A Dream of Red Mansions". It is a very famous novel in China about a Chinese noble family. It was written in the Qing Dynasty (i.e. the one that is being discussed in this thread). Later it was made into a TV series. The TV series is in Chinese only, but the books have been translated into several languages.

Hi EMl,

Thanks for the reply. I remember my mother telling me how she lived accross the street from the actors of the series in Guangzhou. My mother is half chinese and she lived in China for a few years.

I have seen cards (poster cards..I think) from the show and the actors and actresses are beautiful...Chinese beauty is so pure.

Thanks again!!!

Random facts about Ching imperial family

The book mentioned by Emi was also translated as Dream of the Red Chambers (also called The Story of the Stone). I'm a fan of the book but have never seen entirely any of the many series made:( .

Anyway, the imperial family. I've always had an interest in the Chinese imperial families and had done some research myself. I find the Ching Dynasty, which was the last dynasty, to be the most interesting.

The Ching Dynasty was not ruled by Han Chinese. It was actually ruled by the Manchurians. The Manchurians were originally three separate tribes living in what is now northern China. The Jurchen tribe leader Nurhachi united the tribes and called themselves Late Jin. Later they changed the name to Manchuria. The Manchurians were also called bannermen because Nurhachi regrouped the people into eight banners. After they take over China, the Manchurians enforced on the Chinese their own practice of shaving the men's head except for the back and letting the back hair grow into a long braid called a queu. They kept their clothing and eating habits but converted to Chinese Confucianism. So that's the background on the Manchurians.

The Ching imperial family's name was the Aisin-Gioro clan. As far as I know, this is the Chinese pronunciation. I have no idea what the Manchurian pronunciation is. They lived in the Forbidden City as the previous Ming emperors had. They kept eunuchs as most previous dynasties did. All grown men were not allowed in the Forbidden City after sunset except for the emperor and the eunuchs. The most famous emperors of the Ching Dynasty were Kang Hsi and Qian Long. One note about the emperors' names. The names we know them by now were not their actual names but their reign names. Also, each emperor has a temple name. For example, Emperor Qian Long's actual name is Hong Li; his reign name is Qian Long; and his temple name is Gao Tzung. Below are the emperors by reign names. Temple names and actual names are noted.

1. Actual name: Nurhachi (Temple name: Tai Tzu) - never officially became emperor; died before Manchurian's total conquer of China
2. Huang Tai Chi (Temple name: Tai Tzung) - died soon after becoming emperor
3. Shun Chi (Temple name: Shi Tzu; Actual name: Fu Ling) - died young; rumors had it that after his favorite concubine's death he went to a Buddhist temple and became a monk (I personally think it's unlikely. He probably died of a stroke)
4. Kang Hsi (Temple name: Shen Tzu; Actual name: Hsuan Yieh) - became emperor at age 8; strengthened the Ching Dynasty and stopped all rebellions; an excellent emperor in most people's eyes
5. Yung Cheng (Temple name: Shi Tzung; Actual name: Yi'n Chun) - rumored to have become the emperor by changing one brush stroke in Kang Hsi's will; mysteriously died (some say murder; some say stroke)
6. Qian Long (Temple name: Gao Tzung; Actual name: Hong Li) - lived the longest of all Ching emperors; gave up the throne to his son and died 4 years after his son's reign (many stories about this emperor and his many wives, including a concubine xiang)
7. Chia Chin (Temple name: Jen Tzung; Actual name: Shun Yen) - not much known about him; his reign was the time when the Ching Dynasty started to weaken
8. Tao Kuang (Temple name: Shuan Tzung; Actual name: Yen Ning) - first Opium war during his reign; died of a broken heart and grief for his dead mother
9. Hsien Feng (Temple name: Wen Tzung; Actual name: I Ning) - Tai Ping rebellion during his reign; died in his 30's at Jehol hunting lodge probably from liver ailment; the reputed Dowager Empress Tzu Hsi (Cixi) was his concubine
10. Tung Chih (Temple name: Mu Tzung; Actual name: Tzai Chun) - became emperor at age 6; Dowager Empress Cixi's son; didn't actually reigned; his mother, his legal mother Empress Dowager Tzu An; and his uncle Prince Kung were the actual rulers; died young at age 19 from either smallpox or syphilis; rumored to be bisexual
11. Kuang Hsu (Temple name: Te Tzung; Actual name: Tzai Tian) - became emperor at age 3; Dowager Empress Cixi's nephew; shouldn't have been emperor because he was of the same generation as Tung Chih; tried to reform China but was beaten by the conservatives in the court (historically known as Hundred Days Reform)
12. Hsuan Tung (no temple name; Actual name: Pu Yi) - last emperor of China; became emperor at age 3; the husband of Empress Wan Jung (Wan Rong); watch the movie The Last Emperor to learn more about him (the movie's pretty accurate)

One more note about empresses and concubines' names. The empresses and concubines were never known by their first names. They were known by their clan names. Their titles depend on their ranks. For example, Dowager Empress Cixi was of the rank of grand concubine. In front of their rank, there usually was a word which describes a virtue. For Cixi, it was the word Yi. Empresses were given a title when they're buried. Dowager empresses have the privilege of adding two words to the front of their titles every few years. By the end of Cixi's life, her full title was sixteen characters long. The only empress and concubines known by their first names were Pu Yi's empress and concubines.

I have many more stories about Ching emperors as well as some other dynasties' famous emperors and empresses. If you're interested, tell me.

Danjel said:
who was she married to????
Tatala Jin was the emperor Kuang Hsu's concubine. Her sister was Tatala Zhen (also known as Zhen concubine, Zhen Fei, or Pearl Concubine), who was Kuang Hsu's favorite. Zhen Fei was rumored to be involved in the Hundred Days Reform, which angered Dowager Empress Cixi. And as punishment, her title was stripped away and was forced to jump into a well in the gardens of the Forbidden City. The well is now known as the Zhen Fei Well. Tatala Jin (or Jin Fei) continued to live after the death of the emperor Kuang Hsu. I'm not sure if the above story was true. The Chinese imperial families had a tradition of keeping their secrets inside the walls of the Forbidden City. Therefore, Chinese imperial history is full of false stories and rumors.

Last edited:
Rick said:
Thanks to Jaqueline's post on news regarding HIH Akahito, I now have the reign name used by Pu Yi while he was Emperor of Manchuko

It was Zhang Zuolin
nonono, Zhang is a warlord in a part of China. he was assasinated by the Jap then the Jap made PuYi the puppet of their gov. the connection between PuYi and Zhang is that Zhang used to rule the terriroty where the puppet gov was later built

dancingqueen, i'm also a fan of StoneStory, i can send you some pictures of the tvseries or pictures from the books if you want.

Yiling, are you from China. you know a lot about the Ching Dynasty(more than me:eek: )

Florawindsor, no I'm not from China. I grew up in Taiwan until I was 11 years old then moved to the US. I'm just interested in Chinese history and royal families around the world and like doing research on them.

Poppy said:
The Imperial Concubine Xiang (Princess Xiang). She did not like her husband, the Emperor who adored her very much. Once when she was cutting something, the Emperor embraced her from the back. The embrace was so sudden that the Princess accidentally cut the Emperor on the hand. The Emperor was not annoyed but the Empress Dowager was and she quickly ordered the Princess to comit suicide. The Emperor was very much hurt by her death.

Xiang was the Concubine of which chinese Emperor????

xiang was the Concubine of QianLong.
there are so many stories about her.hoho.

Xiang's real title was Concubine Jung (or Rong). She was the concubine of Emperor Qiang Long. Legend has it that she was born with a fragrance around her, thus the name Xiang (which means fragrance). She was not Manchurian and was the only Islamic concubine in the history of the Qing Dynasty. The story that she cut the Emperor and was ordered to commit suicide by the Empress Dowager is a false legend, told by authors and tv series producers. The real Concubine Jung was loved by the Empress Dowager, who promoted her to the title of Jung Fei (Concubine Jung) from Gui-Ren. The Empress Dowager died 11 years before Jung Fei's death, proving that the Empress Dowager did not order that she commit suicide. Towards the end of Qiang Long's reign, there was no empress. Thus, Jung Fei's rank among the concubines was the third highest. She was also loved by the Emperor Qiang Long. She went with the Emperor on two of his numerous tours of China. The Emperor also allowed her to wear her homeland's clothes, and the imperial kitchen provided her cultural food. Archaeologists and historians have found proof of the celebrations of her 40th and 50th birthdays. She was 55 years old when she died. So the rumor that she died young was false. Archaeologists have also found her tomb.

gaoshan1021 said:
Her Imperial Highness Grand-noble Concubine Yehonala Yi
(later the Dowager Empress Yehonala Ci-Xi)

She isn't the Dowager Empress Yehonala Ci-Xi.

I just discover this thread, and first of all: thank you so much for the pictures of the Chinese Imperial family!!!!I've read many years ago the autobiography of HM Emperor Pu-Yi, called "I was the Emperor of China"...I was quite young at that time, and it's one of the things that gave me interest for Royalty!

I watched Bertolucci's"The Last Emperor" and the filmmaker definitely took some inspiration from the book, especially on the Emperor's childhood in the Forbidden city. At last with the pics if this thread, I could see what all this people (the Emperor and his wives, his family, Empress Yehonala...) looked like!!

Are a any of Pu Yi's descendants still living in China now ?

romuluz said:
Are a any of Pu Yi's descendants still living in China now ?

He had no (known) children and thus no descendants. He has siblings, who are still around in China (last I read they weren't doing too well financially), and they have descendants.

Sean

Supposedly the heir is a hairdresser in Beijing, and his father (a nephew of Puyi, I think) worked as a street sweeper.

Mr. Guobuluo Runqi, young brother of the last empress Wanrong.

He was husband of Emperor Pu Yi's third young sister, graduated in Japan, could speak Japanese, English and German. Now he runs a small clinic.

Pu Yi's little brother Pu Ren lives in Beijing too, one of his granddaughter works in NOKIA. Some relatives live in the US or Japan.

Most Aisin Gioro family members (I mean the close ones) are unconspicuous and keep away from media & reporters. There are some fake or distant "Aisin Gioro" in China who use this great imperial name to make money.

Attachments

• 100_1964.jpg
    100_1964.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 3,651
Last edited:
Pu Yi's tomb, outside Xiling (Western Tombs)

I visited there with a friend from US in August. She is fan of Pu Yi and Qing Dynasty. After visited both there and Dowager Ci Xi's tomb in Dongling (Eastern Tombs), she told me she's glad to see Pu Yi rests in a small but beautiful place, with the old dowager who made his life a tragedy lying lonely in her huge, mirthless and leaking water underground palace.

Attachments

• 100_1965.jpg
    100_1965.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,553
LaPlusBelle said:
Supposedly the heir is a hairdresser in Beijing, and his father (a nephew of Puyi, I think) worked as a street sweeper.
No. Pu Yi's eldest nephew Jin Yu Zhang 金毓嶂 is a commie cadre, the other two are intelligentsia, one works in a college, the other is a Chinese literary teacher in high school. Maybe some of them swept streets three decades ago, but not now.

Most close members to he throne suffered a lot during the Culture Revolution, especially descents of Prince Gong the regent prince, and children of Prince Su, siblings of Yoshiko Kawashima.

Last edited by a moderator:
Empress Dowager Ci-Xi

A picture of Empress Dowager Ci-Xi from Wikipedia.

A portrait of the Empress.

These shoes are actually only 6 inches long. Ci-Xi had her feet bound at a very young age. In her later years, she took the bindings off and her feet grew a little to 7 and a half inches but 6 inches remained her "normal" size. Amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe am I wrong, but I read in Bernard nehr's book "The Last Emperor" that Manchou ladies had a clear advantage over Chinese ones: they wouldn't bound their feet at all. So...where is the truth? :neutral: Was Cixi Chinese or Manchou? I think she was Manchou...

Vanesa.

The last Chinese imperial dynasty were not strictly ethnic Chinese.They were from Manchuria in north-eastern China.Manchuria's native people were originally the Manchus.There is a Manchu language,but it is in danger of dying out.

Here's a link to some information about the Manchu language; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchu_language .

Aidan.

Back
Top Bottom