Identification of the remains found in 2007: Alexei and Marie (Coble, 2009)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

betina

Courtier
City
Copenhagen
Country
Denmark
ok, lets clean something up. They have found the skeletons of Zsar Nikolai 2. his wife Alexandra, their daughters Olga, Tatiana and Anastasia.
Alexej and Marias skeletons are still missing.
It was Prince Philip who allowed a bloodsample to test if the found skeletons were relatives and they were.
They were burried in St Peter & Paul cathedral in Russia.

I saw a documentary about this a while back. When the whole controversy about the woman claiming to be Anastasia was going on, the Zsar's sister Olga testified against her.
I was also shocked to learn that his sister died in a very small and humble apartment in Toronto. Such a contrast to her life as a russian princess. Her sons married into working class families, one of them married a farmer's daughter. She actually lived in Cooksville, now known as Mississauga, thats the city I live in.
I assume her family is still in Ontario somewhere.

it is only Maria and Alexei they havent found yet. the other family members have been laid to rest in the church in st. Petersburg

yes that is correct but a hardly belive they have survived. But it is certainly a sad story

wow so it's really Maria that has been missing...then how come eveyrone thinks it is Anastasia that is missing?

it was rumored/stated that two bodies were burned, the two smallests, which at the time, according to alexandra's diaries, and other sources, that would've been maria and alexei. yourovsky? stated that the two bodies that were burned were that of a young man and of a young woman. it was proven/speculated through the dna testing that, in fact, that the bodies of maria and alexei were the two that were missing. all in all, a sad story concerning the entire family.

are there anymore people still claiming to be Anastasia or MAria or ALexei that are still alive?

Claimants

hillary_nugent said:
are there anymore people still claiming to be Anastasia or MAria or ALexei that are still alive?
I believe there was someone in South Africa who claimed to be Alexei, but nothing came of it. Today there is no point in anyone claiming to be Anastasia or a descendent because it has been PROVEN through DNA testing that she was among the skeletons recovered.

If anyone came forward with a claim it would be easily disproved through DNA testing. Which is probably why no one hasn't.

The only remaining mystery is what happened to the bodies of Alexei and Marie. Perhaps one day some roadworks or excavations in a Russian forest will turn up two skeletons, and the saga of the ill-fated Romanovs can finally be laid to rest.

They thought it was anastasia because she was seventeen at the time of her death and all the skeletons that they found the spinal cords were closed which is an indication of being eighteen or older. A scientist said this happens to everyone at that age, later on another scientist proved that it could happen in some case's at seventeen which is how some doubt's came about and then if i remember reading where they said the two smallest were missing they found out that anastasia was taller then maria. Maria was the shortest of all of her sisters which is when they thought that it might be Maria enstead of anastasia. If you go to this website it has alot of interesting stuff about the family as well as a lot of pictures including some pictures of them in camps with their heads shaved and why the russian people turned against them, how the parents had favorite children. WWW.ANGELFIRE.COM/BIZ5/ROMANOVS/ALBUM5.HTML

I ran across a web site some time ago where there was someone who claimed to be a decendant of Alexi's. If I can find it again I'll post it.

lashinka2002 said:
I ran across a web site some time ago where there was someone who claimed to be a decendant of Alexi's. If I can find it again I'll post it.
wow that is an interesting claim! did the person have an evidence to support his/her claims? :)

Evidence?

hillary_nugent said:
wow that is an interesting claim! did the person have any evidence to support his/her claims? :)
No.

Which is why we have heard nothing further.

then he can take a DNA test and then we will see if the claim is right, but I doubt it

Unfortunately, none of the Tsar's family survived. There is no way their captors could have allowed it. They shot them, bayonetted them, beat them and then poured acid and cut them up. Burned some of them and tossed them down a mine shaft. I seriously doubt someone would have been rescued or survived. It is a brutal and truely sad occassion. While there are other romanovs around the world who survive, they are different branches of the family, not the direct descendants of Nicholas. No one could be the direct descendant of Alexi, I'm sure the wounds he sustained coupled with his hemophilia killed him instantly and gave no chance of recovery.

They actaully have a memorial site for this family and it mentions how some people have claimed to have meet the two missing children and what names they are living under and where they live. The bbc news mentions how they are buring the remains of the family

I do not think we will ever know the truth. All the bodies have still not been found. Alexei and one of the Grand Duchesses (controversy still rages over which one) has not been found. I would also guess many Bolshevik documents have been discreetly "burned, ripped, or shredded" to cover up more than what we presently know now.

There are going to be "conspiracies" and theories about this for all time. It ranks up there with the "Princes in the Tower" and "Who Shot JFK?"

Only five bodies were found at the site where the Imperial Family was buried.
Apparently, the five bodies matched the descriptions of the Tsar, Empress, Olga, Tatiana, and Maria.
But skeletons matching Anastasia, and Alexei were not found.
I wonder what happened to them? I mean, even if the Anna Anderson mystery isn't true, the bodies must be somewhere, or the children managed to get away somehow.

The Russian scientists think that the missing body is Maria's and not Anastasia's

juliamontague said:
The Russian scientists think that the missing body is Maria's and not Anastasia's

Well, that could be true if they were around the same size.
I haven't really looked at their respective heights in photos.

I saw in a documentary that they compared the heads they found with photos by a computer. And they came to the result that Anastasia is missing.
But they also said in the documentary that the western countries still think that it's Maria who's missing.

juliamontague said:
I saw in a documentary that they compared the heads they found with photos by a computer. And they came to the result that Anastasia is missing.
But they also said in the documentary that the western countries still think that it's Maria who's missing.
One of the leading Russian forensic experts who examined the Romanov remains was delivering a lecture to us medical students several years ago, and he touched the subject of the Romanov family. He told us that he and his colleagues had been quite sure that it is Maria who is missing.

juliamontague said:

Personally, I would believe scientists over theories from the west.
I always thought that it was Anastasia missing, and that's what fueled the rumors.
But, I've only seen European documentaries on the subject, not any from the west, so I probably got more accurate information.

Layla1971 said:
Personally, I would believe scientists over theories from the west.
I always thought that it was Anastasia missing, and that's what fueled the rumors.
But, I've only seen European documentaries on the subject, not any from the west, so I probably got more accurate information.
But you have to think about the fact that the scientists from the East had the bodies and the ones from the west, didn't they?

juliamontague said:
But you have to think about the fact that the scientists from the East had the bodies and the ones from the west, didn't they?

Well, I don't know what country had the bodies, or what the nationality of the scientist's were.
But, on a slightly different subject, when DNA tests were carried out on Anna Anderson, it was found that her DNA did not match that of Prince Phillip, who is related to the late Empress Alexandra through his mother (I think).
There is a positive, and negative aspect to these DNA tests.

1) There is a certain kind of DNA that is carried by a mother, and is passed on to her children, and this process is continued through each generation, so if Anna really was Anastasia, she would have carried the DNA of the Empress, which Anna didn't.

2), Anna Anderson died in 1984, she was cremated, but a part of her DNA was taken before her death, (and this was the DNA that was tested), so tests would still be accurate.

There is also another angle, which you may know more about than me, the person who Anna Anderson was thought to be - Franziska, had a maternal grandnepthew in Germany who agreed to have his DNA tested.
Because, (if Anna was Franziska, she would be related to this grandnepthew), and they both would have descended from the same great-grandmother, so tests between their DNA would also have been accurate.

Have you heard of this subject, and/or do you know what the DNA results were?

There is also an interesting website, that compares facial structures of the two women:
http://www.peterkurth.com/ANNA-ANASTASIA%20NOTES%20ON%20FRANZISKA%20SCHANZKOWSKA.htm

juliamontague said:
If I read Mapple's post correctly he is saying that the Russian expert was sure Maria was missing, which is what the "Western" scientists say.

Mapple said:
One of the leading Russian forensic experts who examined the Romanov remains was delivering a lecture to us medical students several years ago... He told us that he and his colleagues had been quite sure that it is Maria who is missing.

Warren said:
If I read Mapple's post correctly he is saying that the Russian expert was sure Maria was missing, which is what the "Western" scientists say.

So they were Russia scientists that did the tests? Of course, because it is their country.
Well, I don't know what to believe about this, everyone has a different opinion with some kind of evidence to back it up (even if the evidence is weak),

Warren said:
Quite so.

Layla1971 said:
So they were Russia scientists that did the tests? Of course, because it is their country.
Yes, it were Russian scientists, although they received some help from their foreign colleagues in the field of forensic science.

Mapple said:
Quite so.

Yes, it were Russian scientists, although they received some help from their foreign colleagues in the field of forensic science.

Thanks for informing us of this Mapple, I had no idea where the scientists were from.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom