Herlufsholm Boarding & Day School - Incidents and Reactions of the Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think M&F are first and foremost guilty in trusting what their friends (even Nikolai - a nephew. Not to mention their own son!) told them about life at Herlufsholm. Based on what some of these friends experienced themselves when they went there and/or their children who went there.

And that is no doubt true.

The vast majority who attends Herlufsholm no doubt have a great time, building close friendships and they are not bullied, and probably don't bully themselves.

But humans are blind.

All of us have a tendency to close our eyes for unpleasant things or chose not to see the problems or at the very least downplay them.
- Especially if it involves people we don't like, or who are "weird," "odd" or somehow don't fit into the group.
The eyes are closed even more if it's an unpopular/entitled person who is being "taken down".
Is that an excuse? No. But take a look in the mirror and ask yourselves if you haven't closed your eyes yourselves from time to time - as adults.
And the pupils at Herlufsholm are teens.

So the majority no doubt had a great time at Herlufsholm. That's what they talk about and that's what they choose to remember.
For others the time there was so-so, but they weren't bothered and have since moved on.
For a few it was hell. - But they don't talk about. Victims rarely talk about being bullied. Better to forget it. Sweep it under the rug. Perhaps even dish out some payback, when it's their turn.

I find it likely that M&F talked with former board, who no doubt would have reassured them that yes, there have been a few problems but it's being taken care of. Don't you worry.
It's naive of course to trust the former chairman, because what chairman would admit there are serious problems when the school is about to land the greatest catch of all: The first future king among the pupils at the school.

In an ideal world the DRF would have sent someone to discreetly investigate the school thoroughly but that's not how it works. You trust what your friends tell you.

And I find it hard to blame M&F for being trusting.

Indeed. They trusted their children's comfort, and their own reputations — after the school's problems were revealed — that they would be quickly manageable. Or perhaps not quite that bad.

Now they are going to have to figure out how to fix what has become a personal issue.

At, seemingly, the whims of their teenagers, they left Christian in a place and enthusiastically promised to enroll Isabella where crimes were being committed against other students.

And only took them out once the overwhelming nature of it all became public fodder — because I am guessing they themselves had some idea. Or at least access to this report or its contents slightly before.

It's not only not a good look, it's about a bit more than just bad PR. (Although I am told egalitarian Denmark is not thrilled atm.)

If your job is literally to respond to national tragedies? Figuring out how to respond to this one not-through-issued-statement would seem to be in pretty short order. (And no, pulling the kids is not enough. That would have been enough before, maybe. Now they ought to do more.)

So now it has moved on to blaming the kids?

And what exactly are M&F supposed to do "more" of? They aren't the saviors of the school?

What exactly should they do? PSAs? Instructional videos? TED talks? What? Then they will be criticized for that too most likely. Should Frederik use his special forces training to invade the school and rid them of bullies? Should Mary hold a Free From Bullying marathon?

I am seriously confused as to what Mary and Frederik are now being demanded that they do? Like I said, what pound of flesh would people like?

Maybe some of that energy should be aimed at keeping the school in focus to make sure that they don't slide on what they have been ordered to do. Keep the school in check and ask for actions from that institution. Should that NOT be the focus? Why are the CP Couple and apparently their children the poster people for this?

I guess you just cannot please everyone.

Having royal children at a school must be very stressful. It is no easy thing. What has happened at this school seems to me a complete safeguarding failing and in the UK the school would probably be closed. It is impossible for them to send their children there both because of what has happened but also now that the school is essentially starting from scratch now that it doesn’t have the stress of the royal children.

I would imagine that Christian at least may come to the UK next year to board. Perhaps where Alexia and Leonor are.

True Muhler, people do tend to trust their friends, fortunately for the most part.

There is a class aspect to this matter as well. They would not be the first among the elite who may think that such concerns are for little people to worry about but do not apply to them/ their friends, because these things only happen in less priviliged settings.

In Belgium and the Netherlands we had several cases of elitist student societies initiation/hazing practices where students were killed/died. As in this school, for a long time it was all treated as unfortunate incidents, hushed up and the various boards and universities are/were reluctant to change. Minor disciplinary measures were taken, also as not to hamper these excellent young men in their future -and undoubtably promissing- carreers.

There is a case in Louvain, Belgium at the moment about the 2018 death of Sandra Dia -a young man from a Senegalese background who died of hypothermia after 30 hours of humiliations and worse during one of these rituals.

18 students are now finally procecuted, all sons of prominent lawyers, doctors, business people etc. This happened only after an initially weak response (a group chat and 30 hours of community service) and subsequent public outcry. Much to their surprise as many of these types seldom face the consequences of their actions.

Although the Danish boarding school was not on this level of depravity, much of the mechanisms, the toxic culture and behavior will be simular, including the behavior of parents.

I fully understand that some will wonder if it is desirable for their future head of state to be educated in such an environment and at such a critical age for is development. Pulling him out was the only right decision to make and the crown prince and princess were correct in doing so once the report was published and the extend of the problem became clear.

Last edited:
I would imagine that Christian at least may come to the UK next year to board. Perhaps where Alexia and Leonor are.

I think that would be the best thing to do at this point, I mean, boarding overseas. But I don't know how it would be viewed in Denmark. For example, do Danes expect their princes to complete their secondary education in Danish schools? Maybe Muhler or other Danish member can comment on that.

I guess you just cannot please everyone can you. First it was the child must be pulled! He cannot stay there! An abomination!! The CP Couple will be the worst parents evah!!! We as strangers on the internet DEMAND that he is pulled from the school!!

And NOW that he is being pulled from the school (and Isabella will not be attending at all) after the report that was issued over the weekend....all of sudden, the CPC's decision is all about hidden motives and Mary being some self-entitled twit, or some "woke" agenda (is that throwing shade as us Americans btw?) or pressure from the media, etc. They are obviously NOW ruining Christian for removing him from a school with how some put it a systemic history of bullying, violence against girls, etc. Now it is blame Mary, blame Frederik...the kids were forced...they are unhappy...They will resent their parents! At some point it was even Christian's fault for some reason. IF Mary/Frederik had bowed to outside pressure, they would have yanked Christian long before this. I think it was the opposite actually. They made the decision on THEIR own terms as a FAMILY. They always stated that they would make the most informed decision possible and once the report was published, as they stated, they had the information necessary to make the final decision. Period. Of course they understand their position as CP Couple. If they didn't then they would be criticized for that too! Like I said, they just cannot win for some and maybe it comes down to simple projection of people's opinions onto them. But it is easy to judge people's actions when they don't affect YOU and they don't involve YOU or YOUR kids.

So what I understand from all the comments is that Mary/Frederik were awful for sending Christian to the school AND they were awful if they kept him IN the school AND they are NOW awful for taking him OUT of the school!! Which is it? Please pick a lane here! At this point, I would not be shocked to see Mary and Frederik blamed for the entire historical issues at the school!

I don’t think Mary and Frederik are bad at all. I think they are two parents trying to do the best they can by their children. Obviously, they wanted to have a fact-based professional opinion to base their decision on and so waited for the Agency’s report to come out before finalizing their decision, but I suspect that, unless that report produced some shocking revaluations in favor of Herlufsholm, that this is always where they were headed. One does not make important life decisions based on media reports, but on facts and careful study. In fact they specifically said that, either in one of the statements or in one of their responses to a media question. Myself, I think they’re doing pretty well, all things considered.

:previous: I don't think they would have stressed how much Christian liked the school and that Isabella was looking forward to attending and that they supported and trusted the board to take the right measures as much if they were only waiting for confirmation to pull out. Had that been the case, they would have worded their previous statements very differently imho. They would have been stressing that they were waiting for the full report to come out, so they could make an informed decision. That wasn't the focus of their previous messages but seemed more like a way to defend their decision to keep them - as not everything was known - so most likely it wasn't as bad?! Or improvements were imminent?!

Last edited:
I think that would be the best thing to do at this point, I mean, boarding overseas. But I don't know how it would be viewed in Denmark. For example, do Danes expect their princes to complete their secondary education in Danish schools? Maybe Muhler or other Danish member can comment on that.

I was just reading an article about that a few hours ago.

Boarding in another country was indeed one of the options. Schools in France or Britain being mentioned as obvious candidates.
(BTW I think Australia is too far away, considering Christian's age.)

I think the general public sentiment right now is that M&F distance themselves from Herlufsholm as much as possible.
The obvious alternative being a (de facto elitist) high school in DK. Marselisborg High School in Aarhus was mentioned BTW.

But I don't think the public would mind if they choose to send him to a foreign boarding school, as long as it has a good reputation, because at least the Danish press will sniff around any foreign school M&F should choose, to see if there are problems like the ones at Herlufsholm.
And as Marengo pointed out, problems at boarding schools, even the better ones, are not uncommon.
And as someone also pointed out, the problem with schools that has a prefect system is that they have a tendency to turn into a version of the Lord of the Flies.

I think a Danish high school is the most likely for practical reasons. M&F may have been preparing for this eventuality, perhaps even expecting it, and been looking around for alternatives for a month or so no. But if they haven't they only got six weeks. And that's a very short time to check and approach foreign schools.
It would also make it easier for Christian to make the transition in regards to his curriculum.

I have a small bet on Aarhus, because I imagine some of M&F's friends who also have children at Herlufsholm, may pull their children out as well. And if Christian is fond of boarding (it indicates that M&F have brought him up to be a confident person) the option of living in Aarhus with friends and attend a high school there would be an interesting compromise. They just need someone to keep an eye on them, apart from the PET officers.

In short: The public says: Anywhere but Herlufsholm or anyplace with a hint of problems like Herlufsholm!

The new chairman has issued a statement summing up the problems at the school. He's not a former Supreme Court judge for nothing:
"The basis for the values (at the school) is very much honed on being individualistic. That is not necessarily bad, but it probably highlights the individual while sacrificing the communal sense/interests. (Which is in contrast to what the state schools teach.)
Such a culture creates problems for the weak. The strong will after all do well anyway."
https://jyllands-posten.dk/indland/...mand-skolen-har-skabt-problemer-for-de-svage/

:previous:

Muhler: Do you know if this new Chairman will be the one to pick the new board? Any indication of how the new board will be assembled? Some type of election process? Appointments by the education agency that was part of the latest report? How will people be vetted?

I do think it is interesting that the new Chairman has a background in the legal arena.

:previous:

Muhler: Do you know if this new Chairman will be the one to pick the new board? Any indication of how the new board will be assembled? Some type of election process? Appointments by the education agency that was part of the latest report? How will people be vetted?

I do think it is interesting that the new Chairman has a background in the legal arena.

How the vetting process takes place I don't know.

There were some serious talk in recent weeks about bringing in outsiders to the board.
That is people from the ministry, parents, pedagogue-experts and others completely unrelated to the school.
So I imagine that is going to happen now.
It will be a mix of say a third who has some affiliation to the school, teachers, parents, investors etc. in order to maintain the "school-spirit." The rest being outsiders basically to ensure the school (meaning the aforementioned third) stick to rules, regulations and guidelines.

A legal heavy-weight in fact!
A guy of that caliber has the necessary authority, legal knowledge and not least foresight to ensure that the school doesn't revert to it's old habits of handling things within it's own walls. I.e. putting the reputation of the school before the interests of the students.

There were some serious talk in recent weeks about bringing in outsiders to the board.
That is people from the ministry, parents, pedagogue-experts and others completely unrelated to the school.
It will be a mix of say a third who has some affiliation to the school, teachers, parents, investors etc. in order to maintain the "school-spirit." The rest being outsiders basically to ensure the school (meaning the aforementioned third) stick to rules, regulations and guidelines.

A guy of that caliber has the necessary authority, legal knowledge and not least foresight to ensure that the school doesn't revert to it's old habits of handling things within it's own walls. I.e. putting the reputation of the school before the interests of the students.

Muhler, do you know if the new chairman has any affiliation with the school? Was he a past student or have kids who went/go there?

I was just reading an article about that a few hours ago.

Boarding in another country was indeed one of the options. Schools in France or Britain being mentioned as obvious candidates.
(BTW I think Australia is too far away, considering Christian's age.)

I think the general public sentiment right now is that M&F distance themselves from Herlufsholm as much as possible.
The obvious alternative being a (de facto elitist) high school in DK. Marselisborg High School in Aarhus was mentioned BTW.

But I don't think the public would mind if they choose to send him to a foreign boarding school, as long as it has a good reputation, because at least the Danish press will sniff around any foreign school M&F should choose, to see if there are problems like the ones at Herlufsholm.
And as Marengo pointed out, problems at boarding schools, even the better ones, are not uncommon.
And as someone also pointed out, the problem with schools that has a prefect system is that they have a tendency to turn into a version of the Lord of the Flies.

I think a Danish high school is the most likely for practical reasons. M&F may have been preparing for this eventuality, perhaps even expecting it, and been looking around for alternatives for a month or so no. But if they haven't they only got six weeks. And that's a very short time to check and approach foreign schools.
It would also make it easier for Christian to make the transition in regards to his curriculum.

I have a small bet on Aarhus, because I imagine some of M&F's friends who also have children at Herlufsholm, may pull their children out as well. And if Christian is fond of boarding (it indicates that M&F have brought him up to be a confident person) the option of living in Aarhus with friends and attend a high school there would be an interesting compromise. They just need someone to keep an eye on them, apart from the PET officers.

In short: The public says: Anywhere but Herlufsholm or anyplace with a hint of problems like Herlufsholm!

The new chairman has issued a statement summing up the problems at the school. He's not a former Supreme Court judge for nothing:
"The basis for the values (at the school) is very much honed on being individualistic. That is not necessarily bad, but it probably highlights the individual while sacrificing the communal sense/interests. (Which is in contrast to what the state schools teach.)
Such a culture creates problems for the weak. The strong will after all do well anyway."
https://jyllands-posten.dk/indland/...mand-skolen-har-skabt-problemer-for-de-svage/

Hi Muhler, of the ones I saw mentioned by the media, the following three stood out most to me:

If Christian still wants to go to a boarding school, I thought Sorø Academy looked pretty good. Do you know if it has any issues with bullying and the like?

For a foreign boarding school, I thought UWC Atlantic College in Wales might be the best. It's currently teaching Leonor of Spain and Alexia of the Netherlands, and in the past has taught Elizabeth of Denmark and the current king of the Netherlands, Willem-Alexander. Also, as far as I can tell, it's squeaky clean when it comes to bullying and things like that.

For a local high school, Prince Frederik's old school, Øregaard Gymnasium, was the best of the one's I saw.

Do you or anyone else have opinions on these that you want to share?

Thanks!

Well, it's made People Magazine: https://people.com/royals/prince-fr...ce-christian-denmark-high-school-allegations/

Last edited by a moderator:

I will not be shocked to see some type of external oversight committee set up to supervise the new board, ensure recommendations/rules/policies are implemented and followed, keep detailed documentation of what the new board does and then report back to the proper governmental agencies about what progress the school has made (or not made). I doubt the new board will be left to their own devices. But the new Chairman sounds like a very good choice.

This is not going to be an easy or overnight undertaking. There is much to unpack here. This is going to take a long time implement and then wait to see (hopefully) positive results.

Muhler, do you know if the new chairman has any affiliation with the school? Was he a past student or have kids who went/go there?

I don't know. But if he has, we will no doubt soon learn about it.

Hi Muhler, of the ones I saw mentioned by the media, the following three stood out most to me:

If Christian still wants to go to a boarding school, I thought Sorø Academy looked pretty good. Do you know if it has any issues with bullying and the like?

For a foreign boarding school, I thought UWC Atlantic College in Wales might be the best. It's currently teaching Leonor of Spain and Alexia of the Netherlands, and in the past has taught Elizabeth of Denmark and the current king of the Netherlands, Willem-Alexander. Also, as far as I can tell, it's squeaky clean when it comes to bullying and things like that.

For a local high school, Prince Frederik's old school, Øregaard Gymnasium, was the best of the one's I saw.

Do you or anyone else have opinions on these that you want to share?

Thanks!

Sorø Academy is old! It used to compete with Herlufsholm, but that's many years ago.

I don't really know what kind of school it is today.

Øregaard high school is indeed high on the lists I have seen being discussed.

UWA is an interesting possibility. I suppose it is possible to pull strings and enroll Christian there.
When do they start? August? September?
And considering that M&F are personal friends with the Dutch, Spanish and at least to some degree the Belgian RFs as well, that should weigh heavily in that school's favor.
The problem is of course the short notice.
Wonder if Isabella would be interested though?

I think considering the problems with their old/intended school, as well as the position of the applicants, other schools may make an exception — and it will probably be forgiven, since C&I have to attend somewhere appropriate.

Although the premise of then landing in your less-than-stellar local public establishment because it became the only option would make for the basis of a very good comedy film.

Last edited:
UWC Atlantic would be very hard to get into for Fall under the current time constraints- each country has a set application process for United World Colleges that is public, to defeat special back door treatment for applicants. The deadline was in January for Danish applicants. https://apply.uwc.org/prog/uwc_denmark_application_2022_/

I know that strings are pulled for royals, but when my oldest was interested in UWC, it was stressed and stressed that applicants, no matter how gifted or connected, must meet all deadlines for application.

(I kind of wonder if one of the reasons Frederik and Mary dragged their feet on this situation is that the scandal broke after deadlines had closed for many prestigious programs.)

I don't know. But if he has, we will no doubt soon learn about it.

Sorø Academy is old! It used to compete with Herlufsholm, but that's many years ago.

I don't really know what kind of school it is today.

Øregaard high school is indeed high on the lists I have seen being discussed.

UWA is an interesting possibility. I suppose it is possible to pull strings and enroll Christian there.
When do they start? August? September?
And considering that M&F are personal friends with the Dutch, Spanish and at least to some degree the Belgian RFs as well, that should weigh heavily in that school's favor.
The problem is of course the short notice.
Wonder if Isabella would be interested though?

For your question about when it starts, I haven't been able to find an answer. They don't seem to have posted an updated calendar, yet. The one in the U.S. has new international students arriving on August 25 and classes starting on Sept. 9, but who knows about the UK version?

I thought about M&F's connections to Spain and the Netherlands, myself. That's why I thought it was an interesting possibility.

As for whether there's enough time, I think it could be worked. I think they would do a lot to be able to add King Christian XI of Denmark next to King Willem-Alexander, next to Queen Leonor of Spain, next to Queen Elizabeth of Belgium for their recruiting brochures. They could style themselves "The School of Monarchs." :D

I think considering the problems with their old/intended school, as well as the position of the applicants, other schools may make an exception — and it will probably be forgiven, since C&I have to attend somewhere appropriate.

Although the premise of then landing in your less-than-stellar local public establishment because it became the only option would make for the premise of a very good comedy film.

This whole thing reminds me of the television series "Young Royals," except that in that show, it was the prince who got into a fight and got sent to a boarding school from a local high school. In the real version, it's other people committing the violence and Christian has to pay the price of moving schools. Now, I suppose that all we need to make the comparison complete is a young Latino student at his new school. ?

UWC Atlantic would be very hard to get into for Fall under the current time constraints- each country has a set application process for United World Colleges that is public, to defeat special back door treatment for applicants. The deadline was in January for Danish applicants. https://apply.uwc.org/prog/uwc_denmark_application_2022_/

I know that strings are pulled for royals, but when my oldest was interested in UWC, it was stressed and stressed that applicants, no matter how gifted or connected, must meet all deadlines for application.

(I kind of wonder if one of the reasons Frederik and Mary dragged their feet on this situation is that the scandal broke after deadlines had closed for many prestigious programs.)

Well, that's good to know. I wonder, however, if this might fall under some kind of clause for special circumstances where the student was not at fault and had to change schools due to circumstances beyond their control. Those do exist. I just don't know if they exist in this case.

It could probably be an option for Isabella next year but I don't think UWC would want to be seen favoring a royal when they had to disappoint many others. I'd say it would be pretty bad for their reputation if they did. They could never ever state that they treat everyone equally and that everyone has to go through the same process. It's not that there aren't other schools and this would be his only option or he would be out of school completely.

I know it's meant as a joke, but I think that would be very counter to the UWC ethos.

You are correct on both counts. I did intend it as a joke, and it is counter to the ethos of the school. I find it interesting (and not a little heartening) that a school that advocates such fair and equal treatment of people should attract so many royals. I think it says something very positive about modern royalty that they are attracted to such a school, so it was really more a joke that was directed with the school and not at the school.

The deadline to apply for open enrollment to any UWC school (meaning you will take any placement available at any UWC with room in its roster, regardless of your preference) has also passed. https://www.uwc.org/page/?title=Global+Selection+Programme&pid=6067

It's also not just a boarding school. All students study for the I.B. diploma. I have an I.B. diploma, so I'm truly not saying it's academically excessive by any means, but it's not a program I would suggest to anyone as a last-minute, spur of the moment, choice. You need to purposefully want an IB course load.

Now there are plenty of private boarding schools that definitely have rolling admissions, especially for the right price or connections. If Christian has his heart set on-boarding for the Fall term, he can get in somewhere. I wonder if the school he attended in Switzerland is a possibility.

The deadline to apply for open enrollment to any UWC school (meaning you will take any placement available at any UWC with room in its roster, regardless of your preference) has also passed. https://www.uwc.org/page/?title=Global+Selection+Programme&pid=6067

It's also not just a boarding school. All students study for the I.B. diploma. I have an I.B. diploma, so I'm truly not saying it's academically excessive by any means, but it's not a program I would suggest to anyone as a last-minute, spur of the moment, choice. You need to purposefully want an IB course load.

Now there are plenty of private boarding schools that definitely have rolling admissions, especially for the right price or connections. If Christian has his heart set on-boarding for the Fall term, he can get in somewhere. I wonder if the school he attended in Switzerland is a possibility.

Thanks for the information about the IB program. I didn't realize it was such a heavy course load.

I didn't think of the school in Switzerland, but that's a good idea. This assumes, of course, that he actually does want a boarding school and doesn't mind going out of country for it. Personally, I think if they do the boarding option, it's more likely to be at Sorø Academy in Denmark, but at this point, only they know. They'll probably go with something none of us is thinking about and we'll all be like, "Wow, why didn't we think of that one."

I think the most obvious option for Isabella is to stay at her current school (unless that's not possible?), and only move after the next school year, like most students do. It's familiar environment, and it gives her more time to carefully consider her future options, like if she wants to attend normal high school in Copenhagen, board somewhere else in Denmark or overseas.

Christian's choice is more time-sensitive I presume. Since he only has two more years left of high school, his choice now will affect his university options more heavily. My guess is he will go to one of the local high schools with better reputation mentioned by our fellow Danes above, and avoid any unnecessary controversy.

UWC Atlantic already received backlash from students and alumni for creating two whole Instagram posts welcoming Leonor and Alexia to the school, deemed as "unfair" as other more inspiring students do not get welcomed by the College like such. UWC is indeed one of the best options for school that are "almost nothing like Herlufsholm" and it sounds tempting as it has been educating royals over the past years, but sending another royal to go to UWC (especially Atlantic College) way past the application deadline will only create other unnecessary bias towards the school and even to the whole movement. IF they find their way to UWC (which I hope this is not the case because of what other poster already mentioned), I certainly hope that it won't be UWC Atlantic (in Europe there are UWCs in Norway, Netherlands, Italy, and Germany that they can consider).

Also, UWC is not the school he can apply to with the reason "I got pulled out by my parents last minute because the school I went to don't handle their scandal properly so it will damage my parents' reputation". He needs to have strong motivation to make the most of a UWC education, and make sure he is up for the challenge of living abroad (there's certainly some differences between going to a boarding school 90km and over 1500km away from home). Not trying to discredit Christian, but I doubt that motivation can suddenly emerge from a 16 year old boy who most likely still have a hard time accepting that he can't continue to go to the school he totally thrives in only due to his family's special position.

The easiest decision to make in such a tight deadline is for Isabella to stay at her current school, and for Christian to go to the school previously attended by his father (Oregaard or Ecole des Roches), grandmother (N. Zahle), or even his previous school in Switzerland (Lemania-Verbier), therefore they don't have to do background check of the school as heavy as let's say, other random boarding schools in Switzerland or UK as elite as Herlufsholm (unless there is something spicy about the aforementioned schools we're unaware of). I'm not gonna be surprised if they decided to send Christian to international school in Copenhagen if it ended up to be very tricky to find a spot for him.

This is such an unfortunate situation. I hope F&M already prepared their children to the possibility of transferring (or not going at all) and started school hunting since this chaos begin. Wondering if some other parents have decided to pull their children out of Herlufsholm as well? Therefore Christian can still think there are at least one person who is on the same boat as him.

Last edited:
I didn't think of the school in Switzerland, but that's a good idea. This assumes, of course, that he actually does want a boarding school and doesn't mind going out of country for it. Personally, I think if they do the boarding option, it's more likely to be at Sorø Academy in Denmark, but at this point, only they know. They'll probably go with something none of us is thinking about and we'll all be like, "Wow, why didn't we think of that one."

Sorø Akademi have had similar – although not as grave – problems with bullying and toxic traditions. As a matter of fact, a group of students have recently filed a report against the current headmaster who has worked to send these "traditions" into retirement. I doubt Sorø is a choice.

UWC Atlantic already received backlash from students and alumni for creating two whole Instagram posts welcoming Leonor and Alexia to the school, deemed as "unfair" as other more inspiring students do not get welcomed by the College like such. UWC is indeed one of the best options for school that are "almost nothing like Herlufsholm" and it sounds tempting as it has been educating royals over the past years, but sending another royal to go to UWC (especially Atlantic College) way past the application deadline will only create other unnecessary bias towards the school and even to the whole movement. IF they find their way to UWC (which I hope this is not the case because of what other poster already mentioned), I certainly hope that it won't be UWC Atlantic (in Europe there are UWCs in Norway, Netherlands, Italy, and Germany that they can consider).

Also, UWC is not the school he can apply to with the reason "I got pulled out by my parents last minute because the school I went to don't handle their scandal properly so it will damage my parents' reputation". He needs to have strong motivation to make the most of a UWC education, and make sure he is up for the challenge of living abroad (there's certainly some differences between going to a boarding school 90km and over 1500km away from home). Not trying to discredit Christian, but I doubt that motivation can suddenly emerge from a 16 year old boy who most likely still have a hard time accepting that he can't continue to go to the school he totally thrives in only due to his family's special position.

The easiest decision to make in such a tight deadline is for Isabella to stay at her current school, and for Christian to go to the school previously attended by his father (Oregaard or Ecole des Roches), grandmother (N. Zahle), or even his previous school in Switzerland (Lemania-Verbier), therefore they don't have to do background check of the school as heavy as let's say, other random boarding schools in Switzerland or UK as elite as Herlufsholm (unless there is something spicy about the aforementioned schools we're unaware of). I'm not gonna be surprised if they decided to send Christian to international school in Copenhagen if it ended up to be very tricky to find a spot for him.

This is such an unfortunate situation. I hope F&M already prepared their children to the possibility of transferring (or not going at all) and started school hunting since this chaos begin. Wondering if some other parents have decided to pull their children out of Herlufsholm as well? Therefore Christian can still think there are at least one person who is on the same boat as him.

Thanks for this information. I suspect that Atlantic is out of the picture, then. Sorø Academy may still be an option, along with the ones you mentioned.

Jon Stokholm, the new Herlufsholm board chairman has talked with DR. The interview is here:

Jon Stokholm, the new Herlufsholm board chairman has talked with DR. The interview is here:

That's interesting.

To sum up:

Jon Stokholm has been given free hands to appoint a new board.

The school is in for a "turnaround" the new founding principles will be based on:
a critical sense, liberalism (free thinking creating free minds) inclusion and a sense of community.

The communal dormitories are out! They are old fashioned. The students will (as a matter of course) have their own bedrooms.

It will take time to implement the changes.

But he expects the school to reopen for student come August.

Jon Stokholm has not attended Herlufsholm himself.
But he has been teaching at a university. (Presumably giving lectures.)

Quotes:
(the board's) biggest task is to ensure calm, safety (as in mental well being) and security (as in physical security) for pupils, teachers and parents. That is going to be accomplished by us thoroughly moving the culture the school has had so far, so that it will be completely new values that will define it.

(He has seen the cases of bullying with deep regret)
It's a symptom of something that is totally wrong and which needs to be rectified. Illness most be corrected and treated.

(As for traditions)
We will change to preserve. Preserve it if it makes sense in the new context. And if it doesn't make sense in the new context, then it will have to vanish.

(As for him having free hands)
Totally free. In principle they (the school) has the right to veto, but I cannot imagine that after the dialogue I have had with them. It's legal finesses that you cannot have a vacuum for a period, where there is no board.
(That is interesting! Because the resigned board remains in position until a new one is appointed in order to help with the transition. But this suggests to me that he may dismiss the former board as soon as at all possible, and before a full new board is in place.)

(As for the critical report by the agency under the Ministry of Education: The school will unreservedly adhere to everything the report says.)
It's my aim to have the strongest and closest dialogue imaginable with the agency. We only have one task: That the agency is satisfied with the way we do it.

Hmm.
Sounds like he too could use a communications expert.
A part of me would have liked to see M&F to stay on and help turn the school around by example.
I was wrong.
The people connected to Herlufsholm are simply too clumsy.

It will be entertaining to follow, I fear.

Ok, so while he was adamant yesterday that dormitories were out of the question he now is taking it back by stating that the new board will have to decide as some are very happy in dormitories so there are pros and contras?!

In addition, he thinks the problems are 'marginal' (5 or less 'violations' - overall we are doing really well)?! As has been the pattern so far, it doesn't sound as if they understand how serious the problem is nor do they truly want to change. After receiving criticism on him downplaying he explains that it is marginal but important?!

So, it seems he won't truly be in charge as he references 'the pupils, parents and future board might see things differently'. Yes, I am sure they do but wasn't he hired to change a toxic culture and that won't happen if you keep listening to those who created and justified that culture...

Back
Top Bottom